New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

A smile flashes itself at Coney. "Ah, wonderful! That will make me sleep a lot easier."

Thaum acknowledges what Zanthia says with a conceding incline of the head and somewhat exaggerated pressed lips. "It's a process. Alcohol is not part of what I enjoy, so my main intake is Zanthia making me try it to get the free wine right." Regardless of the ribbing, Thaum does seem dedicated to said process.

Aned's response is answered with a nod. "Certainly, I defer to your judgment as a seasoned adventuress. I have all I need in these regards, and perhaps something that will come in handy if we encounter any large caverns with one of those natural bridges high above or far away from us."

Without further ado, Thaum heads to the gate with the others.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You all manage to find each other at the gate and with the music of a bard in your ears you strode on your way to Cascade Caverns. You pass some pilgrims and other people who make their way to Wendel. A goblin pulling a cart filled with a lot of assorted knick-knacks. Some cutlery with cracks, even some made out of silver. Two young man with heavy backpacks, fur spreading out of their necks talking to one another in hushed noises. A heavy armored individual holding a little pendant of the mana goddess sending a silent prayer up into the sky and many, many more.

The farther you go from Wendel the less people you see on the road. At the side are a lot of farms and farmsteads housing different animals. They are also some rabite Barns, though barn is a strange word for these pretty open spaces. They have a fence but it's only one log of wood standing on Y-shaped wooden contraptions where everyone can come and go as their please with freshly planted salad the rabites can nibble from and a roof on the middle where they are protected from the rain.

You came to the last farmhouse, who has another rabite-barn attached to it. The rabites seem to be pretty invested in a complicated catching game with the smallest sleeping under the little roof. There are no more pilgrims on that road.

Spoiler: Thaum, Rina, Aned, Larimar
    Show
    You see a wild looking man sneaking to the barn. He wears hide armor and a greatsword and seems to be going to the rabite's, but he notices you as soon as you notice him. It is your turn.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    First encounter Please tell me if the link works. You should all be able to adjust the document. Coney and Zanthia failed their spot check and just can take their turns next round. (I rolled for Coney and she could just make it on a 20...) You can adjust your positions freely I just took what made the most sense.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar not only spots the man but takes some initiative to communicate with him.

Bouncing over the fence, he quickly approaches and calls out, "Um, excuse me. Wild guess, but this doesn't appear to be your farm. Do you need some help?"

(oh right. I think Larimar will be at N13)
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-12-09 at 05:01 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

As the group has travelled along, Coney has occasionally slowed up the group's progress by stopping at each rabite farm to check the occupants for signs of awakening.

Perhaps it is this preoccupation that leaves her so completely unprepared for what happens next.

Show
    Link works for me.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum's head perks up as he notices the... rather not very subtle man trying to get to the stable (which is probably the reason why Thaum was even able to notice him, to be fair). A man who is also quite heavily armed for a thief. Well then.

He taps Zanthia on the shoulder to get her attention and points towards the man, as his friend seems to have overlooked him. If there end up being tensions (or worse), she'll be best at defusing the situation before it can escalate. Thaum himself follows after Larimar, though at a slower step, watching the man's reaction to Larimar confronting him. The light white robes with their red highlights move lightly in the breeze, his azure hair more than it should, following an unfelt current in languid motions.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Thaum moves from H16 to M15. He readies an action to cast whelm on the man should he attempt to attack the group.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2019-12-10 at 12:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Aned narrows her eyes as she spots the wild man approaching the barn. It was suspicious to be sure, but the man still hadn't done anything... yet, anyway. But it never hurt to be safe. As Larimar moves to confront the man verbally, Aned moves to the corner of the barn, grasping the sheathe of her eagle claw in hand. It makes for a clumsy bludgeon, but it could still be effective if she hits in the right spot...

Show
    Moving to M12, and readying an action to attack the wildman if he moves to N12 to attack Larimar. The attack will be nonlethal, so I'll be eating a -4 penalty to strike.
    With my dying breath
    Hear my warning I have said:
    "Don't call up what cannot be brought down"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

For someone used to traipsing easily through wilderness, Rina seems to drag her feet while in the company of the others, slowing down to adjust her sword now and then (including removing the rag over it's hilt-skull) once the entrance to Wendell is out of sight. She did buy her own waterskin (but no food...) on the way out of town, and if anything seemed to be studying the flora and fauna surrounding the road, perhaps searching for wild berries.

...She actually spied the man with the greatsword, and she ducks her head, trying to hide her gaze with her bangs. Caught in a moment of indecision, she wasn't sure if approaching the stranger was safe, or right but ultimately she's forced into action by the others. It wouldn't do to not get involved now, lest she wants them to have reasons to mistrust her.

...Still... best to try to talk this situation down. She draws a bow from a(n obviously enchanted) quiver next to her giant blade's scabbard, taking a few quick steps into the skulker's view.

"H-hey! Stop, are you supposed to be there???" She tries to assume a commanding voice, but to her inner senses, she just sounds like a nervous child warning of their parents watching.

Spoiler: OOC/rolls
    Show

Moving to N16, and trying to intimidate the intruder.

This is so not going to end well...

(1d20)[12]
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2019-12-09 at 10:53 PM.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The man looks at total disgust at Larimar and the others. "Ratfolk, monster-friends." He spits out. "Disgusting!" He ignores the intimidation completely. He takes a sidestep and charges at Larimar with his sword raised.

Spoiler
    Show
    You can take your readied actions.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Brow furrowed, lips pressed on a thin line, head shaking. Thaum had not expected much, but still managed to be disappointed by this stranger and his poor life choices. His hands rise as he breathes in, elemental water shaping itself into Undine's form briefly above his shoulder. Water is life, and a small imbalance can be all that is needed to render the body tired and sluggish. And thus, Thaum breathes out, lowers his hands, and gently tugs at the attacking man's essence, to spare him further disgrace by what regretful actions he seeks to take.

Show
    Casting whelm (FYI, edited earlier post, since inhibit interacts in a most gnarly way with group initiative)
    Will DC 16, and if it fails, he takes (4d6)[13] nonlethal damage

Spell slots:
    Lv 0: 4/6
    Lv 1: 7/8
    Lv 2: 6/7
    Lv 3: 5/6
    Lv 4: 4/5
    Last edited by Ridai; 2019-12-10 at 03:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Striking quickly from the side, Aned rams the pommel of her eagle claw into the man's gut, seeking to knock the wind out of him. Hopefully, he could be taken out of action before he could harm her companions. His willingness to attack superior numbers either spoke well for his martial prowess or poorly for his sense of judgment. Either way, he had to be dealt with, and fast.

Show
    Nonlethal Attack - (1d20+8)[12]
    With my dying breath

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Hold on, hold on, theres no need for any sort of hostilities, everyone just calm down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting calm spell on the man
    #GoreMutualarejerks

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The man stops for a moment in his charge as Thaum's spell hit him, but doesn't stop, grinning diabolically as Aned's weapon glides off at his hides, foam showing at the corner of his mouth as he slashes at Larimar. Shortly after that he gives Aned a fast side-kick.

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show
    Swordstrike at Larimar: Attack [roll0]
    Damage [roll1]
    Kick at Aned: Attack [roll2]
    Damage [roll3]

After he got hit by the calm spell he looks confudled and spits out some foam "Who did that?"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum makes a mental note about both his and Zanthia's spells working on the man (with his more a sort of control group, whereas Zanthia's is almost assured). His unshielded hand makes a gathering motion, a droplet of Undine's elemental water forming above Larimar, suffusing him with soothing warmth and a brief blue light as his wounds and pain are taken away.

"Sir, you would do well to take a moment and listen," Thaum says to the man, his voice equal parts calm and stern. The man is homicidal to a degree bordering on the ludicrous, but Thaum can at least hope the guy is not dumb enough to not listen to Zanthia.

Show
    Cure Minor Wounds on Larimar, healing 17 HP and thus back to full. Casting from a distance as per Boundless Healing. As Thaum has healed as many HP as half of Larimar's hit dice, Thaum's Extension of Life class ability kicks in, giving Larimar 4 THP (the excess healing of the spell), which last for 8 rounds.

Spell slots
    Lv 0: 3/6
    Lv 1: 7/8
    Lv 2: 6/7
    Lv 3: 5/6
    Lv 4: 4/5
    Last edited by Ridai; 2019-12-11 at 08:26 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney is sad that this man is so limited in his perceptions, and hopes to set his aright. She hops a bit closer to him, and reaches deep within her, to where the ancient spirit lurks. Curling the ear-hands of her mind around his essence, she lifts his voice to hers and sends all of his power out towards the man in a torrent of words in a deep vibrato.

"Sir, we are merely passing through on a mission of great urgency. While you see monsters, we are in fact agents of the great spirits of light! All we seek is safe passage, and perhaps a moment to confer about what you may have seen here lately. Will you put up your sword and speak with us?"

Show
    5' step closer. Full round diplomacy check, without penalty thanks to Naberius' ability. Skill check has a +22 modifier. I'll roll OOC.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2019-12-11 at 09:27 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Zanthia sees no need to educate the man about the fact that she cast the spell....or even that a spell had been cast. One of the powers of the witch was the subtlety of her casting, often someone didnt even know she had enspelled them since there were no giveaways. She steps forward with Coney, usually taking the lead in such negotiations was her forte, but at least she could give some help. (Diplomacy for Aid Another rolled and passed in OOC)

As my companion has said, we are not here to cause trouble and seek only peaceful converse. Without the need for blood to be spilled. Please, let us solve this peacefully
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar winces in pain as the wild man's blade slams into him. He was skilled alright, so much so that the Chobin had hardly a chance of dodging, but at least Larimar managed to twist his body in such a way that he wasn't cleaved in half. Before he knew it, however, he was healed and then some, feeling like a million silver pieces. But still feeling somewhat befuddled.

"Um, yeah, what they said. I was going to offer you some of the best apples in the realm and a slice of pie, if you were hungry. But I am considering rescinding that offer..."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-12-11 at 07:53 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

"Stop trying to hurt people!"

Rina has an arrow nocked, but with all the attempts to talk this guy down, she seems reticent to shoot.

Just give her a reason and her arrow will fly.

Spoiler: OOC/rolls
    Show

Holding action; if this guy attacks again she'll try to attack.

The following attack roll is ONLY for that scenario:

Spoiler: Break Glass in case of attack
    Show

(1d20+6)[9]
    (1d8+3)[7]

<BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Aned grunts as the kick connects; it's quite an expert blow, but her pride is bruised more than anything. In response, she seemingly leaps and twists in the air to land behind the man, effectively flanking him. She looks down that the foam that's dropped from the man's mouth warily. A berserker? Some kind of rabies? "It is said in the desert that a wise man prospers more than a strong one. I would suggest that you listen to my friends and drop your weapon." she says, keeping her hand on her eagle claw, but not attacking just yet.

Show
    Flying overhead to N11 and Tumbling to avoid any AoOs. I automatically succeed with the Tumbling check, so I don't think i need to roll it? I will then do as TonberryKing did and ready another attack in case this guy's still feeling frisky. I will also apply my Dodge bonus against any attacks from him.
    With my dying breath

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The man shakes his head, it seems more an attempt to free himself from the spell attempting him then indicating no. "I... I can't be angry? I can only manage to be a little upset? What have you" he takes a step back, not attacking Aned but still connecting with her body. He doesn't tumble down but still addresses her: "sorry." He is still addled and brings his sword up in a way to defend himself should he be attacked.

When coney speaks he shoots her a look that seems to drop vitriol but the intensity of the emotion is quickly diminished. He shook his head again while mumbling (loud enough for anyone to hear) "yeah you're an emissary alright. Especially if you're one of the smart ones. His generals and speakers all around." He looks intently at Larimar. "I wanted to spare you the slavery under them little chobin but you're already under their thrall." He lifts his sword in frustration and hurls it down. Though it still lacks any kind of emotional impact. "Why can't I feel a thing?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar gawks up at the large man. "Slavery? Generals? What are you going on about??"

He turns back and looks at the others, throwing his hands up in a helpless shrug. Did he just get his head hit too hard and forget something extremely important?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

In the meantime, Thaum looks over to Aned, but thankfully, the kick seems have caused only minor bruising. Nothing that needs immediate attention, but should be checked after whatever this impromptu interrogation is over.

"Yes, please do elaborate in no uncertain terms, as well as using names instead of vague pronouns. Plain speech instead of Conspiratory Cryptic, if you would be so kind," Thaum adds pointedly. "I would suggest a simple detect magic to quickly ascertain our supposed thralldom, but I have the feeling that you would not believe us either way."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Aned frowns as the man bumps into her, and reflexively checks her gear to make sure it's all still there: spending time in the markets makes one wary to the ways of pickpockets. She gives the man an appraising look. He certainly looked crazy, babbling of slavery and throwing his sword. But if a spell could make him calm, something else might have driven him to this.

Doubting he could cast even a cantrip like Detect Magic, Aned instead tries to make their case logically. "If we were thralls to your enemies, I doubt very much we would take such cares to ensure that you remained alive and unharmed. Perhaps you could answer our questions, and we could answer yours in turn."
    With my dying breath

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The man sits down cross-legged and throws his hand up in defeat.

"I'm… Just not feeling it anymore." He points an accusing finger at Coney, the other rabite's gather at one side of the barn and seem to be interested in the interaction. "I'm not really a speaker, that will mean I will explain it in a way that make me sound crazy." He clears his throat. "The rabites who can talk are just emissaries and a way for the dark rabite to establish his reign. He let them awaken and weaken the populace, making it clear that the monsters are no threat. That will be when he emerges and overthrow the normal human populace. But we know the truth and we will fight against the monsters and the rabites who could awaken." His eyes, for a moment, become an almost glass-like sheen but like his wrath is diminished. He hesitates a moment but still tells more. "I was sent by our leader too sent Wendel a message. With this monster-loving town there is no way to talk to them. Or so I was thought."

He looks at Thaum and seems confused. "I... don't have the right wand for that, and even then I need some tries. Also our leader told us that this ways to divinate can be misleaded or it could be not magic at all." When he talks about the leader his face brightens up a bit and he smiles almost boyish. He shouts over at Rina: "Set the bow down girlie, or do you wanna shoot me now?"

He sighs heavily and looks up at Thaum again. "Say are you a boy or a girl? You look really confusing. And can you tell me what by the glistening platinum you did to me?"

Spoiler: Coney, Thaum
    Show
    The glistening platinum is another name for Luna that is mostly used by merchants and the nobility and is said that she is the cause of good and bad luck and also wealth.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

It seemed Thaum's spell was effective at quelling emotions, and while Larimar certainly felt no frustration from the attack and incoherent speech of the man, he was still very much confused. He says, "Uhh... that is quite a theory you have there..."

"I've never heard of this 'Dark Rabite' before. Are you saying you or your people have been violently attacked by awakened rabites??"

Rather than try to ramble or lecture the man, Larimar sought to find out what he knew. Was there really some looming threat out there? Perhaps, behind the illness?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-12-13 at 04:58 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum's gender really is of zero importance at this moment in time, so the question just gets ignored. "I didn't do anything but make you a bit tired, and I, too, would like to know more about your leader's motivations. I also would like to know if you, personally, have talked to awakened beings and people associating with them before, for more than a moment, and how that went." Thaum is seeing the telltale signs of someone having been duped into a conspiracy theory or cult, and/or racism motivated by ignorance, but that remains to be seen. Hopefully, the answers also will make it easier to determine what to do with the guy, because they can't really just let him go, what with indiscriminately murdering people and regular non-hostile rabites.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2019-12-13 at 06:35 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney keeps her distance, not wanting to give the man the wrong impression of her intentions. She keeps an ear turned to the conversation unfolding, literally, but Larimar and Thaum seem to have it well in hand at the moment.

Instead, she hops closer to the pen, looking for telltale signs of sentience among those inside. She mixes the ancient and new spirits together in her eyes as she tries for her own bit of Luna's good luck in seeking out a new member of her race.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Withdrawing her bow and putting it back in her quiver, Rina encircles the others and tries to pick up the man's greatsword, wanting to keep him away from having a weapon on hand he could risk hurting someone with...

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

"Dark Rabite?" asks Aned, looking at the man skeptically. "Who exactly is this leader of yours?"

Seeing the glassy look in his eyes, Aned circles around to Thaum, lowering her voice to a whisper. "Detection of magic would perhaps be a good idea for us as well. This man may well be enchanted." At very least, dispatching a greatsword-wielding wild man to deliver a message didn't seem to make much sense unless the message was mayhem. This attacker seemed far too credulous of his mission.
    With my dying breath

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Zanthia sighs a bit, this situation is something she understands.

This man is clearly a victim of a lot of cult-style programming or charm spells…or both. You see, every failed charm spell erodes a person’s will, not much from each one, but slowly, a cumulative effect. And I’ve seen some of my less reputable sisters in witchcraft rapidly erode a person’s will through multiple charms, to the point where the person might as well be permanently charmed, especially if you combine that with cult style programming, even without a charm spell on him. My spell didn’t help matters.

She turns back to the man.

Despite what your leader has told you, there is not some grand conspiracy among the rabites to take over the world. You have been fed misinformation. If you want real proof of that, you could come with us and see that we are out to do good, Transfer Charm if there is one in effect or at the very least, separate yourself from your leader and try to see the world through your own eyes, and not those of someone who is out to do all your thinking for you.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Rina
    Show
    when you pick up the weapon and look at it a moment you're pretty sure it's a masterwork cold iron greatsword.
    "I said it will sound crazy when I talk about it. I won't say the name of my leader I know he has a certain protection against divinations but I won't betray him like that. I didn't talk to any awakened beings but our leader did. He talked about the dark rabite and some awakened ones sayd they wanted to join him, because they didn't wanted they're human friends to suffer. They nearly bit him to death, he still wears his scars so they remember him of this deception."

He looks at Thaum:"bit of a prude hu? And making me a bit tired my behind." He grumbles. "They sayd my wrath could be used for good. That I was useful to them and him. And you just took that away so easily." He didn't really sound that upset, more concerned.

The rabites are noticing Coney and the smallest one runs towards her and seems adamant in drawing her into a catching game. They seem as intelligent as every unawakened rabite, well-fed and pretty active. That is a good sign for their care at least.

He answers Aned: "our leader is a great man. The ice of althea runs in it's blood and he is as furious as he is larger than life. It was his decree that I got send here to send Wendel the message that we will not tolerate their stand regarding... Accepting... Everything." He shakes his head again blinking several times.

He looks at Zanthia." I can hear you you know." He scratches his head definitely in thought." I don't know. They'll send someone after a week too make sure I did my part. I don't know who it will be. Can I just let my sword here with you, rummage around a bit and talk to the guy? "

Spoiler: Zanthia
    Show
    There is no charm currently on him except calm. He definitely didn't realized you casting something.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2019-12-13 at 07:10 PM.