New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

Grabbing a chair and seating himself beside the bed, Thaum sees signs indeed possibly pointing towards an affliction of the undead, or, failing that, a strongly Shade-infused plant. The symptoms make him think of ghoul fever. With a disease being the most likely cause, especially with how slow it seems to be acting, Thaum puts his hand gently on Mercy's head and begins to channel Undine's magic into her to cleanse her of any disease.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Thaum uses 20 points of his healing hands pool to remove any disease from Mercy, in hopes of this being a disease like ghoul fever, as most other undead create spawn by either directly killing their victims or draining them entirely with energy drain. He then observes if there is a change in her condition.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The girl doesn't react when Thaum touches her head. She is really cold, together with the sweat she must be in really bad shape. When the healing energy of Undine flows into her Thaum feels some kind of resistance force that try's to block his healing energies from reaching her.

Spoiler: Blockade
    Show
    make a caster Level check. In conjunction with that you can also roll a Knowledge:Religion why that disease seems to block you out.

When Coney opens the window and a fresh breeze clears the room of some of the smell. But there is nothing strange to see outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

With the disease resisting, Thaum channels mana to remove any curse there may be, then attempting to remove the disease again.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Casting remove curse until he succeeds the CL check. If the disease persists after a success, he tries to heal the disease again.
    Caster level checks
    (1d20+9)[25]
    (1d20+9)[28]
    (1d20+9)[21]
    (1d20+9)[15]
    (1d20+9)[19]

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The curse is washed away by Undine's healing energy's and then the disease is also cleaned out of the young womans system. She get's a bit warmer and her breathing gets more... Normal than before. Otherwise there is no change and Duncan seems still worried.

Spoiler: Healing
    Show
    The curse is beaten with the first try and after that the disease doesn't resist anymore.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

A horrible cursed affliction this was, indeed. With it gone, there are still the damages to be dealt with. She could recover on her own, but this sort of disease slowly kills the victim by weakening their body, so a little help is needed here. Still, the worst has been overcome, so that does draw a little smile.

"The disease has been cleansed from Mercy's body. I will begin removing the damage it has wrought now," Thaum informs Duncan. His hand remains on Mercy's head, letting the healing mana slowly restore her back to good health with a soothing blue glow suffusing Thaum and his patient, the glow of the healer's golden eyes growing a little brighter.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Damn, missed this update.

Thaum casts three lesser restorations on Mercy to restore (3d4)[8] points of ability damage (Con first) and removes any fatigue.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney has come to know Thaum as a passionate and kind man, and a capable battlefield healer. But this excursion had revealed a level of skill, a depth of medical understanding, that she had never seen before. She speaks softly at his side.

"That was absolutely remarkable, Thaum. You not only saved this woman, but may have stopped her from spreading the curse to others.

"You don't...think that there might be others similarly afflicted, do you?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Mercy regains color in her cheeks and Thaum can see that some of her athrophied muscles regain they're strength. With these more visible changes Duncan begins to silently sob, tears of joy running down his cheeks. Thaum is positive that when Mercy awakens she will be as good as new. After Duncan regained some of his composure he says: "I don't know how I could ever repay you. Thank you." He would try to give Thaum 3 silver pieces, but when he refuses he doesn't press the issue. Glady accepting the good fortune that has come to his house.

Spoiler: Thaum
    Show
    You're sure that if Mercy's condition had worsened that she could have spread the disease, like Ghoul Fever the danger lies if the infected dies and becomes an undead that is able to spread it's condition further. But whatever gave her the disease may still be able to contaminate other people.

When Thaum and Coney leave the house (and the wall surrounding it) they are four people in white robes, looking disgruntled at both the small rabite and the blue-haired beauty human beauty that also emerges from the town. They are also two goblins around that look especially uninterested in the whole situation.

On of the white robed individuals (the one at O19) raises up both arms in an exaggerated greeting gesture.

"Greetings! You must be, Mr. Thaum, right?" He doesn't even wait for a response.

"I'm Lord Obel and we heard that you opened up a little business on the side but it seems you didn't informed us… At all!" The other three shake they're heads in disbelief.

"I'm sure you didn't knew about the usual procedures but the healing arts lie under strict limitations by the healers guild. We can't have charlatans running around and actually worsen the conditions of the people here, wouldn't you agree?" He waits for the fraction of a second till he speaks again.

"They will be no further problems if you decide to get into contact with the guild, pass the test and become a member, but we don't like it if anyone just goes into town and claims to be a healer. Know that you're know this what are you going to do?" It seems you're finally allowed to actually speak.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-11-03 at 07:10 AM.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum seems grateful for Coney's compliment, though there is also something a little somber in his features. "It is all I can do now."

On the matter of others afflicted, Thaum nods. "Hopefully not, but at the same time, it is likely. This strain is vicious, and my guess is that it is borne by an especially vicious creature."

Naturally, the reward is refused. During his travels (with Zanthia; the thought causes another little sting in the heart), Thaum has asked for donations after doing his work to cover travel and material expenses, but only from people who could afford to give them and felt like they wanted to. There were a few very generous givers among his patients and their families and friends, but he never made a donation a condition for whatever ailed them at the time or future treatments. Because that would not be a donation, it would be payment. Or extortion. People who barely got by or had little spending money beyond covering everything necessary to live... Thaum just never accepted any rewards. Right now, he gets the feeling that Duncan and Mercy only have each other and not that much else, whether or not they need any more. So he places two empty jars on the floor, asks Duncan what Mercy's favorite taste is, fills the jars with what basically amounts to nutritious porridge, makes it last, flavors it, seals the jars, and hands Duncan 10 gold pieces.

"On behalf of the actually morally decent healers of the world, I apologize for what the local healers have been doing, and I hope this will help you and Mercy, at least a little. The food will last two days, do not try to eat anything of it afterwards if you have leftovers. This should be enough for you and Mercy and likely be a bit more than you can or should eat, so feel free to give some away to other people, and it is also save to feed to animals. Plenty of water for Mercy, and try to feed her this three times a day, if possible at a temperature about as warm as your hand is. Easy to heat if you keep stirring it. If it is alright, I would like to come by on a later day to check up on Mercy, and if she is awake by then, to perhaps learn more about what caused this disease."

----------------------

Once outside, Coney and Thaum are greeted by the pathetic attempt at intimidating the healer. Six against two (or one if Coney had not come with), two of them specifically acting as thugs. It fits what little Thaum has heard of this guild. A frown darkens Thaum's face, his hair turning a darker shade of blue and moving in ominous ripples, like the overcast sea awaiting a coming storm.

"Greetings. Indeed I did not contact your guild. I appreciate your dedication to prevent quacks from harming people and spreading lies. However, I find both your skills of assessment and your dedication to helping people lacking," Thaum replies voice calm and smooth.

"I do not run a 'business'," and the way Thaum spits that word out, it may have been a grave insult. "I heal people. People who need help. With mundane means and Undine's mana. And I do not take any payment, especially because it costs me nothing to help them. Full stop. And thus far, there should be no issue whatsoever for your 'business model', because I have only healed people who cannot pay you to get treatment and thus remove the proverbial knife you are holding to the throats of them and their loved ones. But, of course, naive little old me was woefully unaware that you also blackmail people in dire need of healing to protect your turf and money like a group of common thugs, dangling the means to save their lives before them to do your bidding." It is hard to begin to describe how much Thaum despises these people.

"Return to your accounting masters and tell them I will not contact your recruiters, I will not take a test, and I will not join your guild of scum and villainy. You could have approached me in a civil fashion. You could have built your guild not for profit. But you did not. And while you are there, do me a favor and pass on another important piece of information that may have passed you by while your thoughts were eagerly fornicating with your highly anticipated profits:" Thaum's brow furrows deeper, eyes narrowing, the glow of his eyes quite noticable.

"Mercy, the girl who you used as a bargaining chip, was infected with a severe new strain of disease. One resistant to normal healing. One requiring cursebreaking before any healing can even be attempted. That she was left to suffer for days on end tells me you did not want to help her in the first place, only deciding to heal her by forcing her grandfather rightfully fearing for her life to lead me into a trap. A few more days, and Mercy would have died. And the moment of her death, she would have risen as one of the undead and spread this new, resistant strain of ghoul fever throughout the city. Perhaps she would have been stopped eventually, but a few of the poor would be afflicted. They, too, cannot afford your prices and would receive no mercy. They, too, would have hidden the disease for fear of being ostracized, then they would have died and risen. Within a month, you would have an epidemic of the undead in Valsena. And people looking at those who should have seen it coming and could have stopped it, but did nothing." There is a brief pause.

"The undead spreading this contagion is still out there. It and every creature like it must be found and destroyed before it can infect more people. And you should have already mobilized, already examining people for signs of the disease, cured them, and asked them how they became infected and who else has shown symptoms." Thaum looks at the four healers. "I take it most of you are regular disciples of the eight mana sprites, yes? People that would be called clerics by some? I have seen what you can do. Your strength lies in preparing for whatever lies ahead. Mine lies in healing and channeling Undine to the exclusion of all others. I am able to destroy these undead, not continuously pinprick them or make them run away. If you have any sense in your greed-addled, morally-bankrupt skulls left, you will mobilize and we will hunt. If not, hide in your guild and stay out of my way."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Thaum gives 10gp to Duncan and he casts create food and water, along with purify food and drink, and prestidigitation for taste.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-11-03 at 05:54 AM.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney's elation at having helped someone - well, okay, at having been nearby while Thaum helped someone - is doused by their encounter with the relentless forces of mendacity and grim indifference. Sensing that Lord Obel has touched a nerve in the healer with the self-waving hair, Coney steps forward to assist. Her gravelly sonorous voice swoops and soars much more than is required for their small gathering.

"Good my Lord Obel, I believe that we have here is a beautiful juxtaposition of two different ideologies in the distribution of scarce resources, that is, to wit, the healing of people.

"Now, not to put words in everyone's mouth, but I would characterize my colleague here as a devotee of the philosophies of that great Chobin leader Mousie Tung. To wit, "From each according to their ability, to each according to their need." An admirable ideal, as I'm sure most people, present company possibly excepted, would agree.

"Whereas you, sir, I would characterize as a proponent of that most manifest of destinies, that what's mine is mine and what I say is mine is mine until you can prove otherwise in court. You, sir, claim to have an exclusive arrangement vis a vis the exchange of goods for healing services in Valsena. We have no reason to dispute that claim, particularly. However!

"Whereas the conflict between your, erm, fee for service model of health care and my colleague's more non-profit approach seems to be irreconcilable, nothing could be further from the truth. As this man has just asserted, and I assure you he is the soul of candour and openness, the very beating heart of honesty, he is not operating not a business, but a charitable endeavour. Surely a great lord and philanthropist such as yourself can see the difference, can even appreciate the value in working alongside a not-for-profit health care model. As the desperate and ill are healed, they have an opportunity to rise up, to work hard...and then be able to afford the affordable but market-priced services that your guild offers. Everyone is a winner in this scenario, Lord Obel. Everyone!"

Show
    I've been watching too much US politics. Sorry.

Diplomacy - she's taking 10 (thanks to Naberius) for a 33.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

---Duncan---

"Oh please no, I can accept your food, but not the money I can'tÂ…" Duncan sighs and accepts the money, but insists to at least give Thaum a string of garlic (with 5 big lumps) for his troubles.

---Outside---

Lord Obel get's visibly angry when Thaum talks back to him. The other healers begin to let they're hands slip in pockets. The goblins grasp at they're axes.

"You wanna make us responsible for an outbreak that you prevented? You crippled user of mana? I'll…"

But Coney's booming voice Interrupts him. Everyone of the newcomers is surprised that such a small creature has such an impressive voice. You can practically see how Coney's words let some of the healers pause for a moment and think about her words till they make sense. The goblins seem too confused at her outburst but don't seem to be as ready to start a fight then mere moments before.

Even then Lord Obel clearly see's that his position is compromised and it seems that he still wants too start a fight when one of the goblins speaks up.

"Grandfather redaxe served under Mousie Tung. Tung Always said to grandfather, "you have good axe, keep swinging that. But don't hit others."" He lays his axe on the ground. "Don't want to hit healing with my axe."

Lord Obel clears his throat. "Well it seems I was misinformed by several of my informants. Of course you are free to heal those in need and provide your services… Free of charge. And I'll rally the guild so we can check the populace of similiar signs that… Mercy had."

He visibly fights with himself but still offers: "Should you find something out, you are welcome to come to the guild building and leave your adress. Someone who is… Specialized as you may be consulted should this disease become a serious matter."

He nods at Coney. "Thanks for clearing up that misconception… Miss."

With that said the four healers and one of the goblins would go back. The one who laid back his axe picks it up again and whispers at Coney.

Spoiler: Coney or Listen check against 10
    Show
    Grandfather redaxe never said that. Said don't swing axe at lawyer, they're end up owning your axe.

And then follows the rest of the group.

Show
    I think about giving Coney a free skill point in Profession:Lawyer, that was just too great.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-11-04 at 03:48 AM.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum gives the healers a silent dead stare while Coney mediates and until the healers are gone. He shakes his head, as if to say "unbelievable", his hair returning to a lighter shade.

"Impressive," Thaum notes to Coney. "Sorry. I have seen my share of suffering and being at the mercy of others, or lack thereof. It does not get any easier seeing something like this."

He takes a deep breath, trying to shake off that residue anger and focus on the task at hand. "Let us find the others. Hopefully, Mercy will wake up soon to tell us where she suffered this attack." He also raises the string of garlic he holds in his hand and looks at it. "And perhaps we can find someone in dire need of cooking supplies along the way."

12. - Top - End - #642
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney literally wipes sweat from her brow with an ear before smiling up at Thaum.

"We should whip up a garlic salad for supper. Helps keep the guildmasters away, I hear."

She hops along with Thaum back towards the others.

"I know little either about the living dead or the diseases they might carry. Do you have any idea what we might be looking for? and should we speak with the authorities here in Valsena about this?"

Show
    Love the axe line. Bravo.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum chuckles at the salad mention. "And likely everyone else within twenty paces as well."

As for what they are looking for: "Without talking to Mercy, it is hard to say. The disease seemed to have the effects of ghoul fever, but it also a curse component to it like mummy rot. It could be a more powerful variant of a ghoul, but it could also some other form of undead. Perhaps she did not encounter a creature directly, explaining how she only suffered a scratch and perhaps thought little of it. Perhaps she cut herself on something that was simply contaminated with the disease, but it would still mean that this undead creature is still out there. I think we should talk with whoever patrols the surrounding area, see they know where dangerous areas are. Though we might not want to mention that Mercy gathered resources without a license, at least not until we know whether this would get a posse of alchemy thugs sent after her."

------------------

After finding the others, Thaum reports on what they found.

"I just treated a young woman who had a severe variant of ghoul fever. I'm hoping she will wake up soon so she can tell where she got the injury that caused this, but it means there is a particularly nasty undead creature roaming the Valsenan countryside. I would like to look for and destroy it before it can infect others. Since we currently have no clue where to look, talking to the guards or rangers knowing more about the surrounding area might help, at least until the young woman is awake again."
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-11-05 at 06:27 AM.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

While the others are busy researching, healing a sick girl, and talking down some healer thugs, Larimar seemingly disappeared.

In truth he was running around town trying to find some kind of seamstress or heraldry person to make a banner for him. As it turned out, he and his family actually didn't have a sign or livery.. and he'd need one to be entered in this tourney.

Finally he found someone and they settled on a design: A deep hunter green banner emblazoned with gold trim and embroidery. A tree was outlined upon the banner with the embroidery, and it had some red apples on it at a casual glance. Upon closer inspection, all the leaves were a bit off. They were, in fact, arrow heads. The tree looked to be on a hill, though it was inferred that there were strong roots beneath the tree.

Along the edges was a message that repeated in the Chobin language: "A taste of glory. Best in the whole realm."

After doing a bit of shopping around for some magic items, he finally finds himself at the Wildemer estate with a banner!

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

At the day of the turney the streets seem to be both fuller and livelier than the day before. Lords and ladies rub shoulders with the common folk and the atmosphere is full of anticipation. A white plastered road trails around the wildemer estate, flanked by differently colored roses and behind the building unto a great oval shaped arena with rows and rows of banks getting higher and higher for the common folk. There is a cut out section both for Princess Akeste and Lord and Lady Wildemer, filled with other noble guests. The lesser nobility that mingles with the commoners is distingushable by they're more noble clothing and that they brought a pillow to sit on.

The application to the turney runs smoothly though they are at least 2 red knights from house red before Larimar.

Busy merchants sell "cyclopse skewers" (giant pieces of marinated meat on wooden skewers, 6 copper) and "rabite surprise" (a spicy salad with honeyed fruits, 3 copper), together with "goblin punch" (a strong alcoholic beverage served in tiny alchemist bottles, 1 silver) and "wanderers folly" (dark beer mixed with honey and red wine, 4 copper) more normal foodstuffs also seems to be available but doesn't seem to sell that well.

The first discipline is swordfighting with roughly 20 applicants, though not all of them knights and only half of them from noble birth. Two goblins stand out, as does an armored ball which must be a rabite. Half of them stating that they will fight for Princess akeste's honor (which she gladly accepts), some fight for other assorted nobles but the blessings of the commoners are also searched for. (Which seems to be accepted, as far as you can tell.) A redhaired (with some gray streaks) female knight asks for Thaum's blessing, she seems to have a scar running down from the right side of her head, nearly missing her left eye, clad in a heavy armored coat, with sword and shield at her side.

The armored ball also asks for Coney's blessing, his voice pretty clear in his armored state. The ears, also armored, lay pretty heavy on the highest side of the ball.

Spoiler: Blessings
    Show
    Both Lord's and Lady's are asked for they're blessing, but you have no idea what that entails. Right know it seems that they want to fight for you and win this part of the turney for you, what may be accepted or declined (you did took a glimpse of that, it seems to be crushing for the one asking for a blessing if you decline.)

You also overhear a rumor that Lord Wildemer searches for a new captain of his guard and that he may grant the winner that prestigious position.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-11-06 at 06:54 AM.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

It is late in the day, and Mercy has not awoken yet, so there is little to do other than notifying whoever patrols the surrounding lands about this undead threat. The next day, Thaum uses the tournament to ask a few guards and rangers about possible areas of undead roaming the Valsenan countryside and perhaps where alchemists may gather ingredients.

Still, at some point, there is little to do other than watching the tourney unfold (he can always continue asking around during the breaks, along with acquiring new snacks). He did say he would cheer on Larimar, and he intends to do so. Even managed to get seats close to what is happening, as well as a bowl of this "Rabite Surprise" (and a much more moderate meat skewer laid onto the opposing edges of the bowl than the Cyclopse Skewers as a side, which look both like way too much for his current appetite and a mess to actually eat). Swordfighting first, and the rabite contestant is quite the sight indeed. To his surprise, with all the royalty, nobility and whatnot present, one knight asks for his favor. Briefly wondering if they have met somewhere, why he out of all people caught her attention, or if there are any customs or perceptions attached to accepting this sort of gesture (he sure hopes this is not seen as some sort of political endorsement, as he has had quite enough of politics), Thaum decides to give the benefit of the doubt and simply wishing her well. He doesn't know anyone contesting, might as well root for her, with Coney having the rabite knight covered. It's all in good sportsmanship.

"May you fight well, mi'lady!" Thaum calls back with a smile. He should ask during the break what this is about, just to learn more about the culture of this place. And if he should be ready for shenanigans.

Show
    The mental image of the rabite knight is pure gold. I can already seeing him swinging his sword that looks like it is stuck to his armored ear.

I'm kind of rooting for the lady knight, simply because sword and shield has it so rough as a combat style in D&D 3.5 compared to real life, so that's a bold choice. And since Thaum is Thaum, the eye that has the scar next to it still appears to be healthy, right (it reads like the scar does not go over the eye)?

Since Thaum's blessing was asked, might as well throw in a Diplomacy roll to boost morale (1d20+18)[27]

(Germanism warning because I know its a constant trap we need to look out for: when it comes to food, "Fleisch" = "meat". Flesh has way more dramatic/gorey/disturbing connotations)
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-11-06 at 06:47 AM.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Now on her third...fourth?...Rabite's Surprise, Coney settles in to enjoy the sights and delights of the tourney.

"Remember, Thaum. The guild probably has some kind of arrangement to provide healing services for this party."

She leaves the implications of this unstated, but trusts Thaum to act with honour and forethought.

When the armoured ball of Rabite requests a blessing of her, Coney smiles and moves close to get a look at, well, whatever bits are visible.

"Kiddo, there are not many of us who choose the warrior's path. I am honoured and delighted to bless your participation in these games."

She weaves one of the first magics that she mastered, decades ago. Her voice drops, but is clear and close in the rabite's ear.

"Brave kit, I will not use magics to give you an advantage here. You will stand and fall on your own merits. But you will not be alone. Speak softly, speak your heart, and I will be here in your ear."

Show
    Just a message spell.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thaum's lady knight smiles back at him and seems actually very happy about his encouraging words. My victory's shall be in your honor. She brings her left fist near her heart and bows slightly towards Thaum.

Spoiler: Her eye
    Show
    looks totally healthy, the scar doesn't go over her eye.

The rabite knight flinches when he hears Coney's words in his head (which produces audible clanking sounds from his armor) but he seems to respond.

The swordfighting turney is held in typical fashion, two people fight and advance to fight the winner of another two people fight, till only the champion remains.

The weapons of the consestant seems to be enchanted in a way that they don't deal any lasting damage but are still able to make people lose conscious if hit often enough.

The rabite knight is an interesting site to behold. He holds a two-hander in his armored ears (how it resists the earths pull is a mistery that confuses his enemy's greatly.) He's also a fast, jumping, rolling and evading nightmare to fight. Even if he's hit it seems that the blows glance off his armor and with his armored tail also tripping some of his adversaries he does gain some fair wins.

The women blessed by Thaum seems to be a very cautious fighter that waits to unnerve her enemies but attacks rapidly with sword and shield, when they let they're guard down.

They is also a knight clad in red who got's booed on by literally everyone when he appears. He wins his first fight, but loses his second.

When they're is a short break the party can find out something about blessings.

It seems that if someone fight for you that gives you a little social boost and is mostly followed by some invitations to see if you're interesting. If you think that the one who asked to fight for you impressed you it's normal to give them a little present, likely self made (like a little piece of cloth with an interesting stitch pattern or a flower from your own garden, even self-made pastries or locks are sometimes given to a succesfull fighter.) Also if someone asks for your blessing it seems to be the first step of courting.

When the fights continue the midnight knight (in a midnight blue armor and a similiar bastard-sword. He fights by quickly switching between holding his sword in both hands and switching to one hand when blocking some attacks with his armored gauntlets.) Defeats both Thaum's lady knight (though she still manages to get third place) by being even more cautious then her and catching her when she get's impatient and the whirling tornado that is the rabite knight by not using his weapon but instead kicking and punching with his armored limbs when he comes near.

For winning his tournament he get's a highly decorated scabbard with his banner (a crescent moon over an estate).

There is another short break till it goes to shooting and both the older lady knight and the rabite go or wobble to they're patron's.

I'm sorry that I couldn't win the tournament in your honor. I hope that I could still entertain you?

Greetings, my lady. I felt you're aid though the whole tournament, I hope that I didn't disappoint you?

However you talk to them further, Larimar and the other participants make themselves ready, it seems that Princess Akeste is interested mostly in this discipline.

Spoiler: Princess
    Show
    I want to point out that Princess in that case is just the title of a child from two nobles, she isn't the Princess of Altena or something.

Spoiler: Thaum, Coney, Tonberryking
    Show
    You hear from the talking around you, that it seems that the princess is herself very interested in archery and that her parents search for a teacher.

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    I would like to know if you want to ask for a blessing?

19. - Top - End - #649
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Once Coney learns how blessings and favours work, she dashes down to the stalls to find a length of purple ribbon (as a tail bow), or perhaps a rabite-scaled earring - to offer the Rabite Knight as a sign of approval, assuming that they acquit themselves honourably. Which they do, in spades.

After each fight, Coney is on hand to offer encouraging words from a distance, or assistance in greasing up the joints in the armour as dents and such occur. When the rabite is eliminated, Coney darts down to ensure that they're all right, and to assist with the careful removal of the extraordinary custom armour, if needed. She presses her recently-acquired favour over to the rabite eagerly.

"That was inspiring! Bravo. A friend of mine is competing in the archery competition, so I can't leave, but I'd love to get your story later, and learn more about how you learned to fight like that. Remarkable! Or would you care to join us in the stands?"

20. - Top - End - #650
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum is right there with Coney upon learning of this little gift. Thinking about what would be deemed appropriate and what he has available, Thaum is quite glad about his hair length. Acquiring a nice length of ribbon, Thaum cuts off a lock of hair (which is soon replaced as if the rest of his hair just... flows into its place), weaving the uniquely textured (and colored) strands along with the ribbon into a small ornament that almost looks like a twisted band of water bound by fabric, to be worn or simply carried inside a pocket. Thankfully, due to Undine's influence, this gift won't ever smell of wet hair. What he knows about hairdressing (given the importance of the Altenan witch mages, the girls around him training to become one, and their preference for elegant headdresses) paid off after all.

The healer cheers to the lady knight, even after her final match is declared lost, and meets her as soon as he is able (and allowed to), greeting her with a smile.

"Mi'lady, you fought brilliantly, in more ways than one. I rarely see sword and shield put to this great an effect, not mention testing your opponents' mental fortitude at the same time. As far as I am concerned, there is nothing to feel sorry about." Retrieving his gift, he takes one of the lady knight's hands, having it face up, and places his small token of appreciation in it. "I hope this is not too unusual for local customs. I never had someone fight for me like this before, especially not a knight." A thought crosses Thaum's mind, the healer seemingly shaking his head and rolling his eyes at himself for being too caught up this new experience. "My apologies, here I am stumbling through my words when you are fresh from the fight."

Thaum places his other hand onto the lady knight's, Undine's magic briefly creating a glow around him, wiping away leftover bruises and fatigue. If the local healer mafia takes issue with this, they can kindly bite him, he is giving a gift to his unexpected champion. But, as per Coney's wise words, he should probably not push it by just offering healing to the rabite knight as well (which, to be honest, is not the greatest feeling in the world to have). "I am Thaum. What is your name, mi'lady? A dear friend of mine will be showcasing his archery soon, so... would you care to join me on the stands, if you have the time?"

The rabite knight is also congratulated on his performance on the way back. Having heard about the princess' interest in archery, Thaum... decides to keep it to himself for now. No need to distract Larimar from what he does best, and it may make for a little surprise, depending on how things play out.

Show
    Thaum casts cure light wounds for (1d8+25)[27] HP healed (or rather, subdual damage healed in this case) as lesser restoration to reduce fatigue (if any) by one level
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-11-06 at 03:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

A fetching young Chobin lady among the crowds catches Larimar's eye. She may as well have been a commoner for all he knew, but she at least seemed dressed nicely. Being the suave and dashing charmer he is (or at least thinks he is) he eventually works up the nerve to approach her. "Excuse me, my Lady. Would you grant me your blessings during this tourney?" He was, perhaps, being a bit too formal about his greeting. Hopefully he wasn't thought of as being too cheesy or trying too hard.

He'll also ask around a bit casually trying to find out more about House Wildemer and its princess.

gather information: (1d20+1)[12]
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-11-06 at 03:23 PM.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

--- Coney ---

The rabite knight feels beyond blesses that Coney helps him during the tournament. When he finally removes his armor it reveals (for a rabite) a surprsingly battle-hardened body, with sometimes patches of white in the usual yellow fur.

It would be an honor to cheer on your friend, my dear lady. He accepts the tailband graciously and would already fasten it on his tail. After that he packs his armor together (which suffered surprisingly little dents) and joins you on the stalls.

Spoiler: OOC Coney
    Show
    The rabite knight seems relatively young to you, probably awakened 5 or 6 years ago, though he gives away the pose of a real knight.

When there is a small pause he opens up a bit. I'm sir Pawel, after I awakened, right before the butcher I felt a strong connection to knighthood and try'd my very best. After a lot of trial I was appointed to an old weapon master, who didn't had any students anymore. He rose up to the challenge of training me and I'm forever thankful for his rigorous training and recommendation. Thanks to him I got the courage to fight here today.

--- Thaum ---

The lady accepts Thaum's kind words with a curtsy but when he places his gift in her hands, the battle-hardened womens head becomes a darker shade of red. You're hair? Are you sure? She accepts Thaum's healing though she definitely seems surprised. When invited to the stands with him she nods, almost shyly, and doesn't seem to be able to respond at first.

After she cools down a bit and there is a pause she too talks a bit.

I'm Varin, I'm just a guard here, but got knighted due to my continous duty. I heard that you were helping the poor and wanted to thank you, because I actually began my life as a commoner. Though I didn't thought that... She clutches the lock of hair Thaum gave her and begins to turn red again.

--- Larimar ---

The chobin lady is definitely surprised and get's a fan from a lady besides her to get some air. She seems definitely flattered and accepts. When Larimar turns he hears delighted squeeling behind him.

The first round of the Shooting range is just Shooting at a still target and hitting the bulls-eye (which Larimar easily manages) there is a short pause where mages position themselves (and the chobin lady quickly scuttles to get something) and hitting the target get's harder by a blown wind and several pieces of earth begin to move to obscure the target.

Spoiler: OOC hitting targets
    Show
    Hitting a small unmoving target seems to have an AC of 10 (Diminutive AC +4, Bound -4, I would like to ignore Dex in this case.) In Addition it gets too be brought farther away (+2 AC) a string wind Blows (+4 AC) and it get's cover by moving objects (+4 AC) For a total of 20 AC. Because you can't miss because you can't roll lower than 10 in a training environment I let you describe the shot.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

There Thaum goes, just wanting to show his appreciation to the lady knight who suddenly dedicated her efforts to him, and he managed to stumble into giving her something that does not just fit the usual rewards given, but apparently has extra meaning as romantic interest. He still is flattered Varin wanted to fight for him like this (such a thing would basically never happen in Altena, and given the dominant roles of women in the sorcerer kingdom, its royalty, government, and military, they also usually are a fair bit more assertive on average, especially if they are well-versed in combat), but without meaning to, a lot more happened than intended or anticipated. It does not help that he has not dated anyone in his life, whether or not he has had dear female friends.

Talking a bit more quietly and moving a little closer, as to not broadcast the conversation to basically everyone nearby.

"I... would be lying if I said I knew exactly what giving a lock of hair means in Valsena. I only recently arrived in these lands for the first time. Honestly, after my run-in with the local healers guild, I was even a little worried if I would run afoul of someone else again if I gave my blessing, and cause my friends or you trouble." When in doubt, Thaum chose honesty, looking a little bashful as he speaks. "But I saw how happy my words made you, I learned that a gift is usually given in return for such a dedication, so... I made this. And I wanted you to have it because I do not take a formidable lady knight like yourself fighting on my behalf of someone like me for granted. It felt... nice," he could not help but admit.

And since he'd better be honest with himself as well, Thaum is feeling a bit nervous about how to continue. The last thing he wants is to have Varin feel like her feelings are being played with. "I-I hope I did not do something..." He searches for the right word, ultimately needing to settle for "untoward." And in a situation where there could be a million different little factors for Varin's reaction, the healer really does not feel comfortable with just assuming.

-------------------

When Larimar steps up for the first round of the competition, Thaum cheers for him before he starts to focus on shooting ("La-ri-mar! La-ri-mar!"), and once he casually aces the first round, the healer cheers more wordlessly, raises his hands and claps them twice, both times creating a little sparkling burst from between his hands that disappears into thin air before it can land on anyone. Once the more difficult round begins, he calls out "You can do this!" before falling quiet to let him concentrate. This may not be a life or death situation as against the owls or the cultists, but Thaum is with Larimar nonetheless, every step of the way.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar swaggers up to his place for shooting. The first little test was a breeze. As for this one? Sure, it was a shot that would certainly take some skill, but Larimar had plenty of that. Looking around in the crowd for the Chobin whom he asked for her blessing, he spots her and waves with a wink.

Then he raises his voice and says, "Today I would like to shoot in honor of my friend, Thaum: a philanthropist with a great and noble heart. He would aid anyone in need without a second thought, nor compensation. And should anyone challenge his charitable endeavors, they not only challenge Thaum's honor.. but they challenge me." Obviously, after hearing what had happened when Thaum went to heal a poor, sick girl, Larimar was not pleased. He was a bit undecided on who's honor he would shoot for, if at all, but for now he felt rather decided.

After Larimar's short speech, he drew an arrow and nocked it in the bow given to him, eyes scanning the crowds with a dramatic scowl for a brief moment as his weapon was aimed at the ground. And then, seemingly without taking any time to aim, he abruptly turned and fired his arrow. It sailed through wind and stone obstacles and slammed squarely into the small target.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

--- Thaum ---

Varin calms down a bit when Thaum explains himself, she seems kinda relieved but also a bit sad.

Oh, I guess that kinda explains it. Kinda absentmindedly she binds Thaum's hairband around her left arm. She leans closer to Thaum too, that both of they're shoulders are touching!

You didn't do anything… Untoward, I was very charmed that such a young handsome man such as you wanted to marry me and to be honest I was to flustered to decline. She chuckles a bit. If you want to present someone untoward you would have to present someone with red clove (the flower) bound together with a strap of red leather.

Spoiler: Thaum
    Show
    By her playful tone it seems she wouldn't mind getting that from you.

When Larimar has it's turn, Varin cheers right on with Thaum, though not as enthusiastic as the healer.

--- Larimar ---

The chobin lady swoons heavily at Larimar and winks back.

There are three individuals who shoot before Larimar (a young boy with obviously some luck, a soldier and a goblin) don't make they're shoot and then it's Larimar's turn.

When the chobin makes an announcement before the shot that sure generates some buzz. People are whispering to each other and wondering what may have caused this threat. When the shot hits aprubtly and squarely some people jump up and clap, others are nodding in acknowledgement and some others seem concerned.

The shooter after Larimar, a tall elf or half-elf, takes some time till he lifts his bow and shoots, letting the wind guide his arrow and also hitting the target. Know there is even more murmuring going around.

"Did you see that? No one ever won against the red arrow."

"Do you think the little guy can make it?"

"No way. My money is on the red arrow."

Two lightly clothed people go towards the target and cast a spell on it.

Spoiler: Spellcraft 16
    Show
    Mage Armor.

Spoiler: Spellcraft 17
    Show
    Barkskin.

The red arrow shoots first and after even more time then the first shot he shoots, but the arrow doesn't hit the middle of the target, but instead only hit the farthest ring. There is audible gasping all around when Larimar needs to make his shot.

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    You have to roll this time. Good luck.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. Those mages were doing something funny. Checking for cheating? It was too bad that Larimar didn't really know much about magic. He just had a bit of a gift he developed over the years. He used it, invoked it on his hunts and more recent combats and.. that was about it. But when that other elf didn't hit the target on center this time, something seemed off. In fact, it looked a little different too, didn't it?

This time Larimar made no speeches (that would be pretty arrogant and obnoxious anyway), and he took time to aim. It's still just a target. ..right?

Larimar thought of it like taking aim at a bird being hunted. When shooting to actually kill, he didn't use his bow blessed by Luna anyway. When hunting like that, he had a non-magical masterwork longbow similar to this. Maybe that actually gave him an advantage. He carefully leveled his arrow at the target, lining everything up with both eyes. His whiskers even felt the breeze from here. The crowd grew silent, and the most noise Larimar heard was that of the enchanted wind itself.

He fired. And scored bullseye. Whatever those mages did, it hadn't managed to steer his arrow off course in the slightest.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

Now it is Thaum's turn to have his face flush bright red, burying it in his hands and chuckling over his embarassment at what exactly he presented to essentially a nice stranger. And while he is far, faaar from well-versed in Valsenan gift etiquette, what Varin describes afterwards (and sounding like she would want to receive that particular gift from him) is quite clear, adding no shortage of nervousness to the healer, his hair moving in irregular patterns as if it were boiling in slow motion.

"I-I think-" Thaum manages to get out between the part embarassed, part nervous, part flattered chuckles, until he notices how out of sorts he is. "Oh gosh, a moment, please" He channels a bit of Undine's magic through his hands to help him figuratively (and to an extend, quite literally) cool down, missing the tiny manifestation of Undine over where his and Varin's shoulders are touching. The mini-Undine looks to Varin with the brightest, most good-natured smile, giving two enthusiastic thumbs up, disappearing a second or two later when Thaum has regained a little bit of his composure.

"I think we should probably get to know each other a little more before we make marriage plans, my good Lady Varin," he manages to say. Though Thaum still is attempting to collect himself, Varin being in good spirits is a good thing. That is worth a lot to him, even if it was preceeded by a comedy of misunderstandings. He does remain close to Varin, feeling comfortable around her (romantic out-of-depthness on his part be damned).

-------------------------

And then Larimar goes and publically stands up for him! And nails the shot like a total badass, to boot! "Aw shucks, Larimar," slips out of the healer, getting a case of the warm fuzzies. What a rollercoaster this brief time in Valsena has already been. He cheers to his friend for his masterful shot, creating sparkling blue spirals in the air.

The stakes are being raised even further. The alleged champion has significant trouble against all the cover, barriers, and whatnot. This will be difficult, but he knows Larimar has good chances to win this.

"You got this!" he calls out before the shot, then proceeds to quietly anticipate the shot.

And of course, he nails it. Thaum laughs brightly and cheers, creating more little fireworks to celebrate the victory, unknowingly having starting holding Varin's hand at some point.

Show
    Spellcraft for fun
    (1d20+10)[17] (1d20+10)[15]
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-11-10 at 08:38 AM.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

--- Thaum ---

Varin seems entranced by the little undine hovering over them, she try's to touch it, but it disappears before she can.

When Larimar lands his shot, Varin is right there, cheering him on raising both her hand and Thaums.

--- Larimar ---

When the arrow burrows itself in the target there is a moment of silence till the crowd begins to cheer. Some also seem to curse and again some others seem very concerned, but most of them are cheering on the new champion of the archery contest.

"Did you see that? Nobody won against the red arrow before."

"I can't believe it!"

"La-ri-mar! La-ri-mar! La-ri-mar!"

When the cheering subsides a bit, the red arrow gives Larimar an appreciative nod and Lord Wildemer stands up.

"Congratulations on winning the contest. Come over here to receive your price."

(It was the same with the other contest, the princess gives you your prize, there is a short break to mingle around and then the next contest starts.)

29. - Top - End - #659
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar smiles and waves as the crowd cheers and it's pretty much confirmed that he's won. He also nods in return to the red arrow, even offering a bit of a mock salute.

When he's called over to get his prize, he trots on over and says, "It is an honor, milord."

He bows deeply and turns to the princess to collect his prize.

"Rumor has it that this is your favorite event, Princess Akesta. Now that the true tourney is over, would you like me to perform a special trick for you?" Larimar's grin is quite mischievous.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-11-11 at 03:47 AM.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The princess is very earnest when she gives Larimar a small quiver, brimmed at the top and bottom with gold, his banner is surrounded by a silver thread and quite masterfully chased into the leather. (Though how this was done so fast is a small miracle in and of itself.)

When Larimar offers a trick a childlike sparkle appears in the young princesses eyes though she does look at her parents for confirmation, that they happily give.

"I would be honored to see a trick performed by you, brave Larimar. You have my interest." Though she does try too sound aloof, her excitement is quite real.