New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

"I think I can get myself safely to the bottom of the pit, but I wouldn't have a way to easily return. A conundrum to say the least. I'm sure with a bit of moxie, resourcefulness and ingenuity we can find a solution." Jahn seems unfazed by the obstacle before them, still riding the high from his performance for the pilgrims the previous night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken says "This place is quite impressive.

Something I have to tell you all ... Elves don't dream often, but last night, I did. It was a nightmare about being trapped in a dark cold place, with sounds of an unseen monster that might be about to eat me. Dragging sounds, a foot splashing into a puddle. A warning, perhaps, of our fate if we get trapped down there. But I wouldn't say it reminded me of vampires. I'm not going to let a nightmare scare me off, of course.

As to how to get down, I would think a long rope would suffice, if enough rope is available around here. Or perhaps better against cutting dangers, a metal chain, though forging that would take time and resources. Magic would work too, if we have something appropriate, but it sounds like we don't.

If we are afraid that the rope would get cut, someone could pull it up and let it down when we call. However, I don't like the idea, as we don't want to risk getting trapped.

My own magic is quite focused on combat, though I could make a sword shed light by flaming for a few minutes."

He inspects what he can see of the pit, trying to judge how difficult it would be to climb without a rope.
    Last edited by kinem; 2020-12-03 at 09:30 PM.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I'm really curious," Larimar says. "You say you've cast light upon a stone and dropped it down the pit... but have you ever cast light on the stone and then tried to throw it across? I'm really really wondering if there's an end to this. I mean, there's got to be, right?"

"Uh, in the mean time.. I'm perfectly willing to go down first. It seems the climb's not difficult for me near the top, but no telling if it changes as you go lower. I'd appreciate if a bit of rope was tied to my waist and someone helped feed it along just in case something happens."

He grins and says, "Oh, and as for light on the way down, I'll have that covered."

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

Since they are still considering the options to which Thaum cannot provide much, he can at least provide one bit of information.

Stepping to the edge, he points the Rod of Ropes straight down and presses the grappling hook button. If it hits and hooks into something, the pit is up to 300ft deep. If not, it is more than 300ft deep. In either case, Thaum quickly has the rope retract again (after making the hook let go of anything it hit, if that happened, with a tug on the rope), sharing his findings.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-12-04 at 09:07 AM.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When Thaum shoots the Rod of Ropes down the darkness seems to swallow the rod but doesn't seem to hit the ground. But that doesn't tell you that much. It could be 320 feet deep or 500 or even deeper (it definitely must have a ground though.) When Thaum gets it up again, it seems that the rod shakes a bit. When retrieving it there is slight cut on the rope, not enough to hinder it's effectiveness but perhaps still worrisome. It was too deep to see what could have caused this.

"We try'd throwing something across but didn't hit a wall, it fall down like everything else."

Spoiler: Rod
    Show
    No actual damage on the rope. Just cosmetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

"Definitely more than 300 feet deep, so the rod will not help, sadly. And whatever is down there is quick to attack, and located higher than the 300 feet mark," Thaum reports, as he mends the scratch. Better to not leave such flaws in an object that is supposed to bear loads. Upon hearing about not having been able to reach the other side, in the pursuit of knowledge, Thaum shoots the grappling hook straight ahead, immediately retracting it should it reach the maximum length or indeed lodge into something.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-12-04 at 10:00 AM.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The rope travels it's maximum length, but isn't able to reach the other side.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"What could've even made such a huge gouge out of the earth? Some enormous creature perhaps that chews through rocks maybe? That could explain the crunchy noises. I'm getting shivers thinking about the song I'll be able to write about this."

Jahn inquires rhetorically to nobody in particular, pondering the situation.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

"What in the hells...?" Larimar mutters when their experiments turn up practically nothing, except a troubling revelation from the scratch on Thaum's rope.

Turning to the other researchers, he says, "And there's nothing left to excavate of the water temple but this? I assume no clues about what this is. But then again, I'd argue it's not even meant to be here, given the way the blue bricks fall away..."

"You know what? That's it! Thaum, I'd appreciate those lovely protections you offered earlier. Can you more slowly feed out that rope from your rod somehow?"

Larimar starts preparing, himself. He'll take out a wand and casts mage armor on himself. He'll also take out an everburning torch and prep it to start glowing, but stuff it back into his haversack.

Finally, right before descending, he'll cast Light of Wisp on himself. His entire body will be luminescent and shed bright light for 30 feet (and dim light another 30 feet).

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

When Ken sees the attempted cut in the rope that appeared so quickly, he becomes more visibly nervous.

He says "Hold on, Larimar. I want to try a couple of things before anyone tries going down there. I'll be right back."

He goes out to get a few small tree branches and hacks off the protrusions to fashion them into crude clubs.

He returns to the edge of the pit and casts Burning Sword on one of the clubs. This causes it to burst into flame, but it doesn't harm him. The flames shed a bluish light to a 30' range of illumination from it. With his elven low-light vision, it's 60' range for him. The flames will last 9 minutes.

"Let's see what this shows." Looking down into the dark pit, he drops the flaming club over the edge, keeping an eye out for anything it might show on the way down.

OOC: Spot (1d20+15)[16]

He tells Jahn "This is something that I'm not quite skilled enough in battle yet to use myself, but if there's any truth to your tales of derring-do, perhaps it will work on you. If you are willing to try it, it may help you climb."

He tries casting Heroics: Martial Study: Shadow Jaunt and then Heroics: Martial Stance: Dance of the Spider on Jahn. "Try climbing a regular wall first."

He will also cast Heroics: Improved Toughness on Larimar if the chobin still intends to descend.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar says, "The rope I'm requesting is just a precaution in case things get really dicey. But I should be able to climb down this wall without it. At least for a bit. I'm intending to go about it slow and try and see what is trying to cut the rope.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn turns toward Ken as the still mysterious elven swordsman casts magic on him. "I love trying out new magics." he says excitedly clapping his hands together. As the spells finish Jahn doesn't wait a beat, his well trained body magically infused with knowledge and disciplined, diligent practice of a different school of martial training. "Oh! I get it! That's amazing!"

Jahn immediately turns to Larimar "Here we go!" he says, giddy with excitement at the prospect of trying this new skill. He moves forward to the edge of the pit without hesitation and shimmying down the side of the pit quite gracefully.

In his excitement, his senses sharpen.
    Listen: (1d20+12)[25]
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2020-12-05 at 03:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum looks to Larimar and Jahn with some concern, as he would prefer finding a different method to get down there and to find out what lurks below, but their minds seem quite set at this point. "If you insist." But he would be a terrible caretaker if he just let them go down into that abyss without any further protections. Waters flow from Thaum's hands, coating the skin of both would-be explorers without making anything else wet, and a vapor surrounds them for a moment before the mist no longer becomes visible.

Handing Larimar the end of the rope, Thaum also infuses it with a tiny bit of glowing water magic, to have the rod of ropes shed slightly blue-tinged light from its entire length. "Please note that once the rod extrudes rope, it does so at a set speed. Expect a velocity roughly like descending with a feather fall Jinn spell. The rod also reels back in at the same speed. I recommend small hops instead of trying to walk down the wall. Good fortunes to both of you, and please consider returning topside sooner rather than later in case of danger."

Securing the rod of ropes around his shield hand with one of the rod's loops (and helping with creating an impromptu harness with the rope for Larimar so he can't just slip out of the loop in one direction of the other), Thaum gives Larimar time to adjust to being horizontal above a yawning abyss before starting to extrude rope.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Since I never heard back from Aegis, I assume Jahn does not have magic vestment cast on him.

Also @WindStruck, please just add the +4 to saves to Larimar's sheet, as Thaum just casts those spells at the start of any given day (since they are 24 hours duration). The reason why I am asking for who wants daily casts is so I can just mark that on my sheet and do not have to write every single ingame day that I cast various spells on people, just like I do not write every single ingame day that Thaum uses his prestidigitation gloves to clean himself.

Larimar and Jahn both receive shield of faith (+4 deflection to AC) and barkskin (+5 enhancement bonus to natural armor, so that stacks with any existing non-enhancement natural armor). The former lasts 9 minutes, the latter 90 minutes.

Thaum casts light on the rod of ropes to have the entirety of the magic item shed light.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-12-05 at 12:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney is duly impressed with the ingenuity of her new colleagues, and Larimar's agility. In the meantime, though, she turns to Thaum.

"I'm pretty sure I can get down to the bottom, flying. Climbing down a rope, not so likely. I could carry you with me, Thaum, if you like. I'd rather head down now, in case they run into trouble on the way. Are you good, or would you like to hop aboard?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Whew! You get busy for a day and things HAPPEN!

Coney is using her wand of Alter Self, holding it in her teeth in her new form.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

"Carry me?" Thaum asks with some degree of confusion, but Coney brandishing a wand with her ear does provide an answer. "I would gladly accept if you would like me to accompany the others on the way down, though if you do have a way down, perhaps Larimar should not climb down normally. Or at least not tied to the rope that does not reach all the way down, that is. Could you perhaps carry him as well, if your means permit it? Would you be able to make multiple trips to get everyone to the bottom?" From what Coney seems to be suggesting, this may be the most convenient way up and down this chasm, so the healer goes straight to handling the logistics involved.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When the flaming branch gently flows down you already have try'd some things and guess that the Pit isn't that much deeper than 300 feet. You're pretty sure it's (maximally) 400 feet deep. Though when the branch hits the ground...

Spoiler: Coney, Larimar, Ken, Jahn, Thaum
    Show
    The flaming branch flows down and hits the ground, illuminating the area around it.

Spoiler: Larimar, Ken, Jahn, Thaum
    Show
    When the branch flows down it tumbles around a bit and you're not sure but it seems there was something... Touching it?

Spoiler: Thaum, Jahn, Ken
    Show
    When the flaming branch hits the ground it seems that there was something... Slithering? Away?

Spoiler: Ken
    Show
    The thing slithering away had a rough humanoid form (two legs, two arms and a head) but seemed... Wrong somehow.

Spoiler: Jahn
    Show
    Despire your sharp senses it seems eerily silent. You only hear the breathing of your companions and the flickering of the burning branch.

When Larimar and Jahn are climbing down they get down a good way. Larimar has no problems to feel out small handhelds that may be too small for other people, they pretty comfortable for him and with the uncanny abilities of a spider Jahn doesn't even need handhelds.

When both are around 100 feet down something happens.

Something like a fist, with cloudy but sharp crystals shoot out of the wall and try to hit Jahn!

Show
    Attack: (1d20+10)[13] (attacks you're flatfooted AC if you're not immune against being flat-footed)
    Damage (1d8+8)[10] If it hits you it initiates a Bull Rush pushing you away from the wall (1d20+8)[23] Make a pure strenght check to withstand. If you fail you're get pushed away from the wall. Should that happen people may be able to rescue you.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-12-05 at 03:59 PM.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney hears the unmistakable sound of flesh on flesh, and discussion goes by the wayside for now. Brandishing the wand and speaking a word that starts out melodious and ends harshly, she slips the wand into her mouth. The soft, round rabite baloons upward, developing claws, beak, wings and feathers. Oh, so many feathers. In an instant, a majestic griffon takes her place.

Coney pauses for a moment to look at Thaum, to give him a moment to hop on, then prepares to dive down toward whatever was menacing their new friend.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Standard action: Using her wand of Alter Self to turn into a griffon.
    Move action - go to the edge of the pit, so that Thaum has a chance to get on, and she's ready to do a straight descent next round. Possibly a plummet-charge.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Still standing at the edge holding the rod of ropes, Thaum simply can't hop onto Griffon-Coney without compromising Larimar's safety, so he gestures with his free hand to just go. "Jahn! Larimar! Both of you grab onto the rope, I am reeling you back in!" With what slack there currently is in the rope, Thaum steps away from the edge, knowing any knots will be loosened upon coming within 30 feet of the rod. So just in case his words are not listened to and people are not holding onto the rope itself, he at least wants them to already be back on solid ground before that happens.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn nimbly scurries out of the way in the nick of time as the strange crystalline fist. "Guess we found out what's been messing with the ropes." he says, clearly surprised.

Hearing Thaum's instructions he reverses course and starts climbing quickly back up the wall, staying very close to Larimar's emergency line so that the rope is always within reach.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There seems to be no further attack from within the wall, when Larimar and Jahn climb up again.

Show
    it seemed like the fist of an earth elemental but it seemed weird somehow. The crystals were cloudy and dull instead of clear and bright what they should normally be.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"I've heard stories about creatures made of stone, crystal and earth that can move through the natural earth like its air. I think that's what we're dealing with here, though it seems something was affecting it. The crystalline structures forming its fist were dull and clouded. I think they're supposed to be clean and clear if the creature is healthy. Admittedly I didn't get a very close look, so this is just conjecture."

Jahn reports, coming back over the ledge to his companions. It seems like this bard has no fear.

"Fighting it on the wall would be very dangerous given the advantage it holds of being able to hide in the wall."

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum pulls the rod further back as it reels in, safely bringing both back topside. In response to Jahn's report (Thaum doing a cursory healer's glance on both Larimar and Jahn), he says "I am simply glad you are well."

Checking the abyss once more (and stepping from the edge again, no need for unnecessary danger), there appears to be no end to the problems in this pit. "To summarize, there are... slithering creatures at the bottom of the pit, there are clouded earth elementals attacking anything coming close to the walls as soon as one goes too deep, possibly even when further away from the wall, in the case of the cut lift ropes, and our only ways down thus far are either Larimar or Jahn climbing while being attacked by earth elementals all the way down, or Coney flying us down one by one. At this point, I am uncertain why the earth elementals do not come after us up here, and what happened to them, but they may be connected to the creation of this pit." He gestures to the abyss next to them.

Well, there only seems one way to make any progress. "Honestly, I dislike the thought of going down there. The earth elementals can simply harass us safely from the ground until we are dead, in addition to anything else down there, and we do not have a fast means of evacuation. Without some countermeasure against the earth elementals, going down there is suicide, and as a healer, I am generally opposed to committing suicide."

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken says "Jahn, I'm glad you're alright. I didn't think climbing would be so risky.

The thing that slithered away seemed roughly humanoid. I didn't get a good look, but it seemed different somehow from a humanoid.

Perhaps the earth elemental is tainted by whatever is influencing the pit, perhaps something to do with shade. If so, we might be able to win its cooperation by helping it.

As for fighting it, it's by no means hopeless if we stand on solid ground. We just have to ready ourselves to strike as soon as it pokes up from the earth. Difficult, but doable."

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

"A puzzling matter to be sure. Perhaps there is one way which can be further explored. Coney can turn into something that flies, right? I am still rather interested in what is beyond the pit. Perhaps it is simply just that. A giant insurmountable pit meant to... protect something? I'm assuming any structures made into the blue walls or ceiling should be safe from sabatoge?"

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Turning into a griffon has unfortunately curtailed Coney's ability to contribute much to the conversation. She tries to make her opinion understood by looking pointedly at her own back, and then at the bottom of the pit. And squawking once.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum does not feel that much better about the means of maybe fighting the elementals (though he does not voice this, being aware that he trends towards the cautious side, which may just paralyze them in situations like these), but they still need to make progress somehow.

Thaum takes off the cords underneath his robe, and looking Coney over once, he ties the loops around the bases of the wings, with the cords in between going over the back. Coney suddenly feels like her own weight is much lighter, but she does not actually feel stronger in terms of explosive strength. "Larimar and I could fly on Coney's back to at least see what this pit contains or leads to. Larimar because he should easily fit on a griffon's back with me and for additional spotting or ranged defense, me in case of any incoming harm. I can only guess the strength of a griffon, but with the cords, Coney might be able to carry all of us, provided we, say, tie a rope for you hold onto the sides or just below."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Thaum gives Coney his muleback cords, increasing her effective strength by 8 for carrying capacity purposes, which should put her at 918 lbs light load, 1839 lbs medium load, and 2760 lbs heavy load.

Commence the Griffoventurer Clown Taxi!
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-12-07 at 11:53 AM.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

While Thaum ties the cords around her, Coney furls and unfurls her wings experimentally. When he lays out his plan, Coney ducks her head in agreement. Perhaps it was good that she could not speak in this form. It meant that no one else had to know that this would be her first time flying.

Shifting to the edge of the pit, Coney looked down with Tenebrous' borrowed eyes, trying to learn what they would face below. Delicately, the griffon turns to her companions and taps her foreclaws on the ground 5 times.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-12-07 at 09:57 PM.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"A griffon ride? That sounds awesome!" Jahn says his beaming smile on his face again.

"This also seems like a good opportunity to see if there's more temple on the other side of the pit or if the only way forward is down."

29. - Top - End - #779
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

I certainly never thought I would ride on the back of a flying rabite!

Though the elf hesitates for a moment, he carefully climbs aboard.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Once everyone who seems likely to hop on or hold on does so, Coney simply nods, the wand clutched in her beak.

The rabite/griffon does an experimental loop before making her way over the pit. She does her best to stay high, and aims for the far side. Searching for a tunnel or other opening where their explorations might continue.