New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

"I think we should be on the other side of that pit before it fills up and we have to fight anything else," Larimar says.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney is happy to finish up in the temple.

"I would assume that the very nature of Undine's power ebbs and flows. Thaum, I would have no doubt that your water will prime the pump for its revival."

She helps to gather up the remnants of the woman's belongings, and bounces back out into the pit area. She continues to explore the magical auras in that area, making sure that there are no other literal or figurative pitfalls.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Hopefully this will have solved the issues for the repair team outside the water temple." Jahn muses idly "Was this woman what was causing all the issues with the Shadebloom? Or are there still other threats lurking nearby?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken says "I got the impression that our bat-loving friends in the woods were somehow connected to that woman, but no doubt they will continue to cause trouble. There may be others who worked with her. Don't throw away your sword quite yet."

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

"The people we came looking for seemed to have learned about refining shadebloom from this woman, in exchange for spreading the influence and finding more places like this to feed on. We need to find them. I just hope it will not lead to another grueling fight like this. I doubt I have enough mana left for the task today."

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Touched by Thaum's vision, Coney's nose works furiously with thought. She plunges both ears into the gradually restoring stream. There is a low thrum as something passes from her into the waters of the place. Coming back up, she ear-shrugs to the others.

"What can I say? I got swept up in the majesty of Thaum's vision.

"If you're right about the shadebloom folks, about them being vampires, then the link to this woman isn't, um, filial. She was definitely more devil than death, if you take my meaning."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #847
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken thinks he understands what the others did and decides to help as well, plunging a hand into the stream; though his own mana is earth-based, it may help. His reason, however, is not really to help the temple recover, but rather, to shorten the strain on his companions' useful abilities.

OOC: 3rd level slot

After casting detect magic and scanning the entire area, Ken's ready to head back across the pit.

OOC: What do we see in there?

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Short before long the pit has filled with water and if someone would have taken a look at it while the party sacrificed some of they're mana, it seemed that the water has become, cleaner and more vibrant. After Ken has infused the stream it seems that they're is even a slight healthy glow to the water.

The pit seems to be filled to the brim with this healthy looking water and it seems impossible that anything unclean would have survived the rushing water.

"By gnome's beard seriously how have them... It seems impossible but... I mean LOOK AT IT!" A haphazardly cobbled together raft comes into view. The two dwarfs and the priestess are standing on it, lanterns strewn about. The priestess looks around stunned. "Unbelievable..."

After they have been updated you could get back to the encampment, even if the way back through the little lake is a bit shaky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

"There was a woman feeding on the mana of this place. My brave companions vanquished her. The temple will need time to heal, but this should have put an end to the bad dreams and the creatures, who seemed to be... shade-aligned elementals. This woman also appears to have spread the knowledge of refining shadebloom, so the people we are looking for appear to be connected."

Thaum decides to catch them up, even if he would like some rest now. Looking at the water-filled chasm and the dicey-looking raft, he offers "I can use what mana I have left to allow others to swim through water like a fish, if anyone is worried about overloading the raft."

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

"Yep, yep, all in a day's work," Larimar says, brushing his nails on his cloak.

"Well we could always make a few trips on this raft. Or Coney could do that trick again."

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn beams "If you've never been on a river ride before, you're either in for a treat or you'll return your breakfast to the waters." he chuckles, moving towards the raft.

He begins to sing trying to put their most recent exploits to song, though the work is unpolished, his voice is fully warmed up from the recent combat. The soothing sound echoing serenely over the waters within the temple.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

"I only have a few uses of the magic left that turned me into a griffon, so I wouldn't mind riding on the...wait a minute, Thaum. Are you saying you can make me able to swim?"

The yellow puffball had studiously avoided water more than a foot deep her entire life. There was nothing about her build that suggested "hydrodynamic". But if Thaum was confident in his ability to have her not drown, this was an opportunity not to be missed.

Experimenting with the new amulet, Coney attempts to transform it into a two-bladed paddle. Gripping it tightly with her ears, Coney nods to Thaum.

"Right! Ready to dive in!"

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

"That is what I am saying," Thaum confirms to Coney. Conjuring a globe of water, it hovers over Coney and pours down all over her, making the sound of a wave crashing on a beach. Her fur is now more like an otter's, and the puffy tail is replaced with a blue-and-sea-green flipper. He also repeats the same for himself, as he gets the impression Coney has not exactly spent any time swimming before, gaining webbed hands. Good thing he prepared his pack long ago for aquatic trips.

"Kick with your tail in a steady rhythm at a slight downward angle. The spell does not let you breathe water. With your people's ability to jump, you may also be able to hop continuously out of the water. I will come with, as it is better to have someone else around during a first swim." Thaum lets himself drop into the water, easily gliding through the liquid, waiting to accompany Coney across.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Thaum casts swim on Coney and himself, using 3rd level spell slots, granting them a 30ft. swim speed for 90 minutes (spell can be dismissed earlier).

14. - Top - End - #854
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken grins at the sight of Coney swimming, but takes his place on the boat. Not that he can't swim, but it's not good for the armor, and has never been his sport.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Gorosh mentions: "I will build a better raft with a pulley system to get over this thing and back more conveniently. I just needed to cobble that together because we thought you'd need some help after we heard the rushing water."

Mother Reel looks quite adored at Thaum and Coney moving in Undine's element with such ease, where the two dwarfs seem uncomfortable.

"By Gnome's beard and his… other hair... You'd never see me moving in water that way."

When you get back to the encampment it may be because you were under the earth for some time but the Colors of the surrounding plants seem to look more real, more lively and healthly than before. You can take a rest if you want to. This night definitely no one has any bad dreams.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'd say it's around afternoon if you still want to do something.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2021-01-12 at 08:11 AM.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum watches over Coney at first, but the spell leads to her quickly figuring out how to best (and most easily) move through water, so for most of the way, he can take his time. The spell makes it easy to stay afloat, even with the added weight of his belongings, covering much of the way swimming on his back. As he does, it is difficult to tell where Thaum's hair ends and where the Undine mana infused water starts. He can feel where Undine is, but has no way to contact her, and the way there is far. Too far to justify with everything that is going on.

"You could. Would you like to receive the spell as well?" Thaum simply answers the dwarf's comment. As long as he still has mana left, he can hand out swim spells.

Once everyone who went for a swim reaches the other side, the spells are dismissed, Thaum drying people off using his magic gloves. Soon after, he goes to rest, feeling drained, his mood downcast. He is not sure what he had hoped for. If he can, he spends what mana he has left for the day and turns in for the night. They will need to find the shadebloom refiners tomorrow.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn continues work on turning this latest adventure into a new musical magnum opus, providing free entertainment for those interested, or who can stomach his continual revisions. Once the rush and adrenaline from the days events finally wear off and weariness catches up to the young bard he finds a soft patch of ground to set up his tent quickly crashing into a sleep so deep it's almost catatonic.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

For the rest of the journey back, the group is treated to the unusual sight of a sunflower-yellow rabite erupting joyously out of the water and plunging back in. For a while, she uses her double paddle to circle the raft. She giggles. She shrieks. She has, as it were, a whale of a time.

"Thank you so much, Thaum. That was a delight I shall not soon forget."

Coney spends the rest of the daylight hours experimenting with the limitations of the shapechanging amulet - how big can it get? Can it have moving parts? Can it look like a tiny, muscular statue of Ken - clearly having a marvellous time and trying to forget the horrors of the cave below.

Over dinner, she settles near Larimar, her voice grown thoughtful again.

"It occurs to me that we've been to Rabiton, but I actually know very little of Chobin culture. Is there a kind of homeland or ancestral place for your people?"

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar shrugs with a mouthful of food and swallows. "Eh, well, I guess we're all over the place. Can't really say much of a 'homeland'. Not that I'm aware..."

20. - Top - End - #860
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken takes some time to practice his swordplay. He helped win the battle today, but not before missing some chances to end it sooner, and the risk of disaster had been clear. Though certainly a better fighter than he used to be, he could still continue to step up his game. In magic, too ...

He enjoys the dinner with the others. That night he takes an early watch, then meditates peacefully, but intensely.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

As it turns out, Tenebrous was not her favourite of the spirits that she welcomed into her mind each day. He was spiky, he was morose, and it was as if he sandpapered off the pleasures of the day.

Yet, as the sun rose on a second day at the Water Temple, Coney again enacted the ritual to bind him to her for a day. He had been too useful to her yesterday. Then she went off to break bread with her colleagues.

"So, gentlemen. Is today a good day to go hunting for vampires?"
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2021-01-18 at 12:10 AM.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

"I doubt there is much in the way of a better day for finding possible vampires. Shall we head back to where we encountered the child?" Thaum asks, drinking breakfast from a jar, and applying the daily requested spells.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

While Coney Plays around with the changeable form of the amulet she also realizes that if it's transformed into something that she can't wear on her body anymore (and therefore leaves the amulet slot.) It's protective qualities disappear, even if she molds it into something that she can still hold. Other than that it's pretty malleable if the wearer wants it to be (kinda like wet clay without being sticky). But it seems it can't become larger than 3 foot.

Spoiler: Amulet
    Show
    if you want it to be something simple that actually does something (like a crowbar) you have to make a craft check against 10. Moving parts seem to be doable but the craft DC get's higher. You can either use craft (clay) or any other craft skill but with half the ranks.

You enjoy a hearty breakfast containing conjured mush. (You can also choose to get them from the priest but she won't flavor it. Something about harsh conditions that pilgrims should loaden themselves with.)

It's easy to find the clearing with the shadebloom again, still unmoving, like it's standing watch over the place. After a bit of searching you can also discern the cuts that the child have brought upon the trees, made even more easier to follow from the day before because some of them are dropping resin that shimmers in the morning light.

After the place where are you certain that you encountered the child the cuts on the trees stop and there is no obvious track to follow.

Show
    Awaiting your rolls on Survival or other ideas. The cuts followed a more or less straight line up to this point.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney is delighted to provide a variety of exotic fruit mush flavourings for her colleagues (and, more surreptitiously, for any of the pilgrims who are seeming less happy with their life choices that morning. While she's at it, she cleans everyone's clothes and fur, and generally makes everything sprightly for the challenging day ahead.

On the walk back to the place where they met the child, she hides her fear with chatter.

"I don't think I ever met a vampire in all my travels, at least not one I knew about, but I rather thought that sunlight was a big no-no for them. At least, in all the popular stories. All sorts of tales that end with them poofing into smoke in the daylight. Now I'll allow that there might be a bunch of variations of vampires and all, I'm not trying to be racist here. But I do think that we need to allow for at least the possibility that these folks are not in fact vampires, but something even less known or understood."

Continuing to experiment with her amulet as they proceed, Coney works on making a series of incredibly inaccurate statuettes of her colleagues, to her mounting frustration, and then just tucks the bloody thing away when they get to the glade.

Show
    Because the amulet interferes with the con bonus from her belt, Coney will rarely actually wear it. I just liked the idea of having it as a kind of anytool. If anyone actually wants to wear it as an amulet, we can hand it over whenever is desired.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

"I believe we will learn more of their actual nature when learn more of it," Thaum responds to Coney on the way. Once they reach where they were before, the trail ending abruptly, he looks around for any other signs of passage. "If they can fly, perhaps there are broken branches higher than usual for human-sized passage. If we are following the vampire hypothesis, perhaps there are wolf trails here."

Show
    I guess more rolls, though lacking Track, it probably will not help much.
    Survival (1d20+6)[21]
    Search (1d20+1)[15]
    Last edited by Ridai; 2021-01-19 at 02:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When you reach the place and look around there are no trails immediately apperant. But Ken's sharp elven eyes find some (very fine) tracks. With Larimars expertise a direction is found but the tracks are hard to follow. Thanks to Thaum noticing a bit of ripped cloth hanging from a branch a directional change is noticed.

You reach a small spring and follow its watery way for a while (it doesn't seem that the stream is crossed.) Thanks to Coney the trail can be picked up again and thanks to Larimar still followed.

After a while you find a small hut. Before it stands a cart with a rough looking horse bound at it.

In the cart seem to be several things draped over by a white sheet. At this moment the door to the hut opens up and a figure draped over by many layers of cloth emerges carrying a bag that he wants to put on the cart too. He is followed by a smaller figure carrying a small box. It doesn't seem that the two have noticed you at the moment.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Before reaching the clearing, Ken cast Greater Magic Weapon on his sword.

Now, he glances at his companions. Layers of clothing to protect the vampires from the sun? The scene before them is certainly suspicious, and the temptation is strong to strike while the group has the advantage of surprise. But he knows that some in the group will probably prefer a more diplomatic approach to start out with.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

If them being covered in layers and layers of clothes from head to toe on a sunny day is not indicative of some sunlight vulnerability, I don't know what is.

Still, Thaum would ideally like to talk things out. He is not sure if he should after the temple, but...

So he casts a warding spell on himself and walks forward.

"Sir, unlike the woman in the water temple, I really do hope we can talk about refining shadebloom and infecting townspeople instead of me getting assaulted again in short order."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Thaum casts protection from evil on himself. If he can also do so for the rest of the party without getting discovered, he does so as well.

Diplomacy (as futile as it may end up being) (1d20+18)[25]

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

As they come upon the hut and wagon, Coney also casts a spell of protection on herself, figuring to do the same for the rest as the need arises. When Thaum chooses to stride forward, Coney instead hops over closer to the wagon, trying to interpose at least some of it and its bulk between herself and the two figures.

Show
    Coney is also casting protection from evil on herself.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When Thaum casts a spell (not when he begins to talk, it seems the spellcasting is heard.) The larger figure is startled and let's his sack fall. The smaller figure also let's his box fall and it breaks open, some black coins are spilled out of it. The larger figure seems Ready to run towards the horse but stops when he hears Thaum's words.

The small figure piques up and you realize it's the same as from the boy you had a conversation earlier. That's the ones who found me! The larger nods solemnly and takes a step towards Thaum.

You defeatedÂ… That thing? He sighs with a mixture of relief and fear. The boy seems very unsure what to do and just stays rooted in place. The horse doesn't seem to care that much.

You didn't attack me even when you knew what I did. Do you want to come in? He takes another look around, though it doesn't seem that he fixates on any one of you. You're other companions can come in too if they want? I'm ready to talk and tell you why I have serious problems stopping what I have begun. But when you defeated that thing in the temple, they may be hope for us.

Spoiler: MAP
    Show
    Hut in the forest. As always starting positions are suggestions. You should be able to edit everything.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2021-01-21 at 05:58 AM.