New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

"Hmm. It is hard to tell if the tale you weave is true... But rest assured, my friend, I guarantee you not all awakened rabites are like this. I imagine, perhaps if this dark rabite exists, it is an isolated incident, and something that needs investigation."

Larimar gives the man a weak frown. "Senseless killing will get no one answers and will not promote peace. If anything, it will only make things worse."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"That's the thing little one. That's the thing that could really be the case. Perhaps that is also what our leader saw and interpreted it wrong. I mean if he was wrong about my wrath." He seems to trail off.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

You can stay here then. Look around, see that things are not as bad as you might think. But do not tarry too long. You are right in saying they will send someone after you, and you need to be away from them for a while. Im sure things will start to look much better if you are apart from them and thinking for yourself. Things will be much clearer. She doesnt know if Thaum has any spells that help with mental clarity, like maybe a restoration of some kind. But she steps back, now would be the time to cast if he does.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Following Zanthia's cue, Thaum casts a spell, the man soon seeing a brief glow and feeling a comfortable warmth. "You should be back to normal soon. However, don't let your emotions and rage do the thinking for you. You would have never had this interaction with it controlling you, not the other way around." Thaum gives a warm smile. "Good fortune upon you."

Apparently, Thaum is now a master enchanter. The things a healer does to protect the one dearest to him.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Thaum casts Cure Minor Wounds on the guy, more to give the guy a positive feeling and to play out the role of supposed enchanter that has been thrust upon Thaum, as he can't actually end Zanthia's spell. The calm spell from what I know has a short duration that should be running out just about now, or Zanthia can just dismiss the spell, like calm emotions.

Spell slots
    Lv 0: 2/6
    Lv 1: 7/8
    Lv 2: 6/7
    Lv 3: 5/6
    Lv 4: 4/5

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Aned looks between the wild man and Zanthia. "I am not so certain we should leave this man alone," she says, "He is confused at best. Perhaps we should take him with us until we find a place where we might leave him. A priest, perhaps, might be able to help him. Otherwise I fear he might find another weapon and slip back into his old ways."

She glances over at Coney, who had distanced herself to look at the other rabites. Was she as serene as she seemed, or was she merely covering up her feelings on this matter? Aned would have to talk with her later.

"Speaking of weapons," she says, returning to the matter at hand as she walks over to Rina. "That is no ordinary blade. Would you mind if I examined it?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Assuming Rina agrees, I'll use Appraise to try and discern any maker's marks or anything else that could tell us its origins.
    (1d20+1)[20]
    With my dying breath
    Hear my warning I have said:
    "Don't call up what cannot be brought down"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney spends a moment engaging in a catching game with the rabites, pleased that they were every bit as healthy and well cared for as she might expect.

"Thank you, my beauties. Leap with life, and perhaps I will meet your grand-daughters someday."

She hops back toward the group, having maintained a background awareness of the conversation. As her colleagues prepare to withdraw their magics of calming, she does what she can to be the rabite that the world would need.

"We are from Wendel. If you truly wish to deliver a message about the coming evil, it would at least be good to know your name, and some more about this propesy. I am Coney. And you are?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Weapon
    Show
    It's definitely a masterwork weapon made from Cold Iron what is strange enough. There is no marking from a specific smith but from how the blade looks it reminds you of blades that you saw in the market that supposedly came from Valsena.

"Thanks that made me feel like tenthousand platinum pieces." He gives you a boyish smile.

The rabite releases Coney from his playful grasp and when she talks to the wild man the look he gives Coney is full of conflict but after some time he still answers: "I'm Mart's from house Vish, not that this has any meaning anymore." He seems to trail of a moment but catches himself. "I can't really tell you a lot about the prophesy, I mean it's prophesy talk. Hard to understand, even harder to act upon. The short version that I was told is that after some undetermined time, when the rabite's begin to talk they will summon their grand leader, the black rabite that will pretty much plunge the world in a new era of darkness and the rabite's will begin to reign over all humanity. And supossedly every awakened rabite knows that, and because every rabite could awaken we are kinda tasked to kill as many of them as possible." He has the decency to look aside.

He stands up. "I will go then I guess. Can you contact me in five days or something? With some kind of spell? I guess I have to think a bit about stuff. You can keep the thing I don't want it on me anymore." He gestures to the weapon.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

"The name is Larimar," the Chobin offers. "I wouldn't ask that you discard your blade completely. Just that you consider carefully before you use it. After all, there are still dangers in the world." He shrugs not particularly caring either way; the man could probably strangle a grizzly bear to death. Though he does smile, friendly enough.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

"It should be safe enough if you go into Wendel. The High Priest there may be able to help you." replies Aned quickly after Larimar. Not wanting to part the man with his property is understandable, but not wanting him to be a danger is tantamount on her mind. "You may tell him that Aned Atinani and the others bade you to go to him. I am certain he will help you get in contact with us in a few days time."

She had heard of spells that allowed for magicians to communicate over vast distances, but as of yet she had no idea as to whether her newfound compatriots could cast them. And even with his obligations to King Chantrelle, it seemed likely that the High Priest might be able to help this man find his way. If Thaum and Zanthia had managed to break whatever deranged hold this so-called prophet had on him, keeping him busy far from their grasp seemed the best choice.
    With my dying breath

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Rina offers the sword dutifully to Aned; she almost asks for the scabbard but keeps quite like a mouse when given two different options on what to do with the long blade.

"Well, um... if he doesn't want it...my other sword is more for...something specific and not always useful in normal combat," she looks a little bit relieved, actually, to have an alternate weapon, but her voice is a bit meek, bashful.

"If you want, I can hold onto it for now, and return it to you once we're done with our quest. Hopefully, you'll be more sound to take it up once more?"
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Mart's adresses Larimar: "It's alright little one I can get by without a weapon better than someone with'em."

He looks at Aned with an obvious shock in his eyes. "You know the high priest? I mean, yeah I could go to town but going to the high priest does seem to be pretty much." He ponders for a moment then nods to himself.

"Alright we do it that way. I go to town, perhaps getting a little work there, they probably need someone with a little muscle. I can see for myself how everything works and then decide what I do, perhaps meeting up with you again when you did whatever you have too do. Perhaps meeting up with my contact with you guys."

Regarding the weapon. "You can keep it for now girlie. You look like you can handle it. It was given too me by my leader and I was promised an enchantment when I was succesfull and I don't know how I should feel about that now."

He weaves at you and seems to make his way to Wendel.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum's smile takes a turn towards the apologetic, along with an incline of the head. "My channelling is regretably too limited for a sending, but perhaps we will be able to meet more conventionally, circumstances permitting."

The healer waves after Mart's as he leaves. All in all, this was a rather nice outcome, and he would like to have more of this, should they be assailed by more suddenly appearing strangers... rare an occasion as they will hopefully remain.

Duty calls, however, not just to travel onwards, but also to tend to his companions.

"Do you want something for the bruise?" Thaum asks Aned. The adventuress is made out of sterner stuff than to truly be threatened by the blow she took, but some brawlers leave more permanent marks than most.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar waves cheerfully. "Farewell, Mart's. Good luck on your.. reconnaissance mission," he says with a wink.

Turning to the others shortly after the man left, he says, "Well, for a man who nearly cleaved me in two, I kind of liked him."

Larimar gestures at Thaum. "That was fantastic healing, Thaum, by the way... I think I'm feeling better than before I hopped the fence. Can't say the same for my robe..." he complains, fidgeting a bit with some frayed ends of cloth, with blood only freshly dried.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Zanthia offers a kiss goodbye before he leaves but does not force the issue
    #GoreMutualarejerks

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm just happy that Zanthia gave us this opportunity and that everyone helped with bringing this to a peaceful end." Thaum reaches out towards Larimar, making a sweeping motion with his hand. All blood and dirt peels itself out of the archer's clothes, many tiny flecks lazily floating into the air and disappearing outright.

"I would like to conserve my channeling for now, but if I still have reserves when we make camp, I'll mend your clothes. Is that alright?"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

"Really? That'll be great!" Larimar says. "Or if not, I could probably patch it back together."

(I guess we're continuing the journey!)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

"I should be fine, thank you." replies Aned to Thaum's courteous inquiry. Her gut was still sore, but it didn't seem worth wasting any magic on. At very least, if it still bothered her when they camped out for the evening, she could approach Thaum again.

Turning back to Rina, she hands the greatsword back to her. "Here you are. It's too heavy a blade for me, though it seems almost paltry for you." she says, looking at the absolutely gigantic cleaver on the wood elf's back. "It is a curious blade, though. Masterwork to be certain, but no marks. The style reminds me of some I have seen from Valsena, however. Perhaps it would be worth investigating once we have finished here."

She looks down towards Coney. "Someone attempting to turn people against awakened rabites is certainly unwelcome. We should try and figure out what we can about this leader of Mart's."
    With my dying breath

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Mart definitely didn't think that he would get a kiss from a fair elven maiden out of the situation but still accepts.

When you go further you still have some ways to go and you see the road split itself, with a shield showing the way to Cascade caverns. When you arrive at that fork in the road there is that particular time of day where some people might argue if Wisp or Shade rule over that particular time of day.

You follow the well worn-out path that is inlaid irregular with some stones to make travel somewhat easier though it's a far cry from the well-maintained road. When you're think you're halfway there, the outworn path seems to cut off aprubtly.

Spoiler: Thaum, Larimar, Aned, Rina, Coney, Zanthia
    Show
    You can still see parts off the way. It seems like someone has thrown some dirt over some stones and has somehow made the way more hidden but for your masterfully eyes, steeled by the wilderness you can still find the way, even if you have to look twice.

Spoiler: Larimar, Thaum, Rina, Coney
    Show
    The way is actually not that well hidden. It seems to be either rushed work by someone who had done that before or someone trie'd to hide the way and had no idea what they were doing.

Spoiler: Larimar, Thaum, Rina
    Show
    Okay that is really shody work, you don't even have to look twice, whoever had done this had either no idea what they were doing or did that as a preparation of some kind.

You still arrive at the entrance of Cascade caverns, but you can't see the entrance, that should be obvious immediately, shade also rules the day now and it's dark.

Spoiler: Thaum, Larimar, Aned, Rina, Coney, Zanthia
    Show
    You can identify the entrance, it seems that someone has hidden the entrance masterfully with some vines, even the shrine of the mana godess has been obscured by plantwork. There is also a small assortment of stones beside the statue of the Mana goddess that is not hidden.

Spoiler: Larimar, Thaum, Rina, Coney
    Show
    The vines that hang on the entrance are not that fresh and begin to dry up, like the assortment of sticks, leaves and other… Crap that was thrown on the statue of the godess.

Spoiler: Larimar, Thaum, Rina
    Show
    The vines that hang on the entrance are not even local, perhaps from inside the caverns and seem to be pretty much tacked on the surface, it really seems like some kind of preparation, perhaps to later make all more believable with a spell of some kind.

Spoiler: Rina
    Show
    You rested here before you get into Wendel and you're sure that the statue and the entrance were not hidden before.

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    The darkness hinders you're sight a bit but you're sure you've seen something small fly inside the cavern, perhaps a bat or something similiar.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2019-12-19 at 03:46 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

The fact that the path to the caves was being covered up was extremely strange and suspicious enough as it was. Then to have all kinds of vines and stuff thrown up over the entrance and shrine was blatantly (at least to Larimar) suspicious.

Larimar takes out a wand from his bag and uses it.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    That's the mage armor. 60 minutes counting now!

"Okay. Something fishy is definitely going on here. Someone has been purposefully obscuring the path up here, and the entrance and shrine for that matter. It's all very recent too..."

He gives a half-worried look at everyone and draws his bow. "We'd best be on our guard. I can only imagine what's in store for us. Perhaps whatever has caused King Chanterelle to fall ill doesn't want us finding the wisp? But that, of course, means they somehow knew we were coming..."

Show
    It's always the chancellor, isn't it?!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

As the group gets underway again, Coney withdraws into her thoughts again. Aned's kind words seem to stir a memory in her.

"I might have an old story which casts some light on that, actually. I didn't want to bring it up in front of Mart, but..."

She hops on for a bit, striving to find the words.

"This could all be apocryphal blather, of course, but I've heard variations of this tale from a couple of sources.

"When mana was imbalanced a mighty rabite emerged, his fur blacker than the darkest night, nearly killing the mana heroes. There was a picture of the Black Rabite, wielding powerful magic from Shade, summoning demons and having a crushing bite. From the stories, it seemed that he was one of the first defenders of rabite-kind. Word has it that, when the balance of mana was restored, the Black Rabite returned to a slumber - perhasps suggesting a return to a pre-awakened state. But it is also certainly possible that the Black Rabite might rise again, if a great threat to rabite-kind emerged again."

She hopped on for a time in silence, then added wistfully.

"F***ing prophesies, eh?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Hearing Coney's retelling of the supposed legend of the Black Rabite, it has Thaum thinking.

"The imbalance created and awakened a lot of very powerful beings, so I can see there being truth to the story, though it is probably anybody's guess at this point what such a rabite's intentions were in general and when it fought the heroes. Finding someone who actually interacted with it would be quite illuminating, if the stories do tell the truth to some extent."

-----------------

At the cave entrance, the healer looks at the hasty disguise that seems bigger on ambition than actual execution.

"Either we interrupted an effort here, or someone took a break before finishing their work," Thaum mentions, looking at the "seams" of the disguise, hair slowly following the head's motions as he guides the everbunring torch in his hand towards wherever he is looking. He does brush some of the vines off of the goddess statue.

As he opens his bag, Thaum adresses his companions. "Many of my protective spells are relatively short in duration, so unless you have wishes otherwise, I will apply them as needed. These caverns supposedly are quite large and I may just be burning mana we might need later," he says, pulling out a peculiar black rod from his bag.

"This should help us with crossing chasms and getting up to rock bridges above us, should the opportunity arise." He wiggles the item a bit for emphasis, then puts it back into the bag. "As mentioned earlier, many beings are averse to attacking me if I don't attack them first, though strength of will is a factor in this. Much of my healing can also be done at a distance, though please do not expect me to close your wounds from across a grand cavern. Where would you like me to be in the marching order?" Hopefully, that should provide the more experienced adventurers of the group with what they need to know in regards to what to expect from Thaum and how he may figure into exploration and, if it comes to it, combat.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2019-12-19 at 01:46 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

"Then this Black Rabite may exist?" says Aned, looking towards Coney. "Hm. This does not portend well. Perhaps another unbalancing in the forces of mana is on the horizon. We should be prepared."

Though she picks her way through the trail well enough, she seems surprised to hear that it was the result of deliberate deceit. "Truly? Then this will be a more difficult task than expected." she says, before bringing the goggles hanging from her neck up to her eyes. "Fortunately I am well prepared. If someone attempted to camouflage the trails and entrance, then they may have left traps for us within. Therefore, I should like to take the front."
    With my dying breath

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

As much as I dislike large and sharp objects being pointed at me, the way my magic works and the fact that I am carrying the talisman means that I should be near the front. Second row, probably
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney considered the haphazardly concealed entrance.

"Whereas my magics work just fine at a distance. I can bring up the rear, so to speak."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    She renews her Mage Armour.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2019-12-19 at 11:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

"Well... bow," Larimar says with a smirk. "I suppose that leaves me somewhere in the back too then. This is all assuming we don't split up and all stay in a single file line though, right? Single file probably isn't the best..."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As soon as you take your first steps into the caverns you hear a slight... Roar like masses of water that crash down in the distance. The statue that Zanthia is holding begins to glow in a warm white light that is pleasing to the eyes.

After some additional steps into the caverns the light of the statue seems to flare up and instead of illuminating the caverns like a torch it's nearly double that range without any flickering.

The additional light reveals walls that seem to be speckled with small glowing crystals that give off a bit additional light in a cascade of colors.

At the end of the light radius there stands a Tomato Man. Shielding itself from the light. He looks like the bottom of a totem pole a top of that seem to be a ginormous cucumber a paprika and then a tomato with a worried face. The whole construct seems to be floating.

"how have you found the entrance? It doesn't matter you should not be here. The monsters are going haywire it's too dangerous to go without the high priest."

He let's his arm that looks like a tomato stalk sink and looks surprised at the statue. What is the meaning of this? Isn't that his?"

Spoiler: Zanthia
    Show
    as long as you hold the statue you get a +1 dodge bonus to your ac and a +1 to all your saving throws.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2019-12-21 at 08:54 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

"Very astute," Larimar says, with very little sarcasm. After all, he probably wouldn't have known the statue was the high priest's otherwise. "As a matter of fact, we came here on his behalf, to find the Wisp Sprite and help save his friend..."

"I take it you're the one who was covering up the path, so... You mind explaining what's going on?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-12-21 at 04:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed it is his, and serves as proof that we are here at his bequest and doing his work. And yes, we know the monsters are dangerous, but hopefully we will be able to overcome them. But either way, we are doing his work and would appreciate you letting us pass.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+24)[42]
    #GoreMutualarejerks

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney literally pops up behind them in order to join the conversation.

"If you were concerned about the will of Wendell, it would serve all of us to share what you know about what lies behind. Please."

Show
    Aid another to the diplomacy check: (1d20+22)[34]

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Aned nods along with Larimar and the others. "Your help would be most beneficial. I can say that we have no interest in disturbing things here beyond locating the Wisp." she says. Talking isn't her strong suit, so she leaves it to the others beyond her affirmation. Her eyes stray to try and look at the cave beyond the Tomato Man.
    With my dying breath