New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

Larimar steps out of the brush, bow lowered slightly and says, "It's good you're willing to talk this through."

"And yes. We dispelled that thing, beat the tar out of its minions, and the woman underneath it all.. well, she is nothing but ash now." Probably an ominous choice of word to emphasize for a vampire.

Larimar manages a polite but somewhat fake smile. "So yes. Let's see what we can do about.. stopping more death for many, I assume."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-01-21 at 06:33 AM.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it is progress, in some fashion. Thaum does not like the sight of the Dark Coins that spilled out, further confirming the woman was responsible for all this.

"Yes, the tar-esque being has been vanquished. It, or rather, she decided to murder us after it showed a few visions of its motivations. Let us go inside. I would rather not leave you anxious from staying out in the sun." Without further ado, Thaum heads inside after the two figures.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Reluctant to get so close to two such perhaps-dangerous creatures, Coney quickly forms her erstwhile amulet into a kind of rigid brass neckband - trying to protect herself, to the extent that rabites even have necks that might be bitten - and bounces into the hut after Thaum. She glanced back at the other three companions nervously as she goes.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn, adjusting his new trousers as they hadn't quite been fully broken in, mutters something about fashion always having a price and follows the others into the hut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken is surprised at the man’s words. Though this could be a trap - vampires probably prefer to fight out of sunlight - it sounds like the man is sincere. Still, Ken doesn’t relax his guard as he follows the others inside.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The interior of the small hut is sparse. There is a table with suspicious burn marks and weird splotches of substances that seem to have fused themselves with the table. There are five chairs surrounding the table, that seem to be standing on watch. One of the chair-backs seem to be slightly green-colored and there seems to be an acidic smell is lingering in the air.

The larger figure sits down heavily on one chair, the smaller one stands beside him. He removes the bandages around his head and reveals a finely chiseled face with black hair and dark eyes that dart from on of you to the other like a scared rabbit. The smaller figure also removes his head coverings and reveals the boy you encountered before.

I thank you for not attacking me. Though to be honest I would have fought or fled had I not somehow realizes before you came that… It was a women you said? That she was thwarted but I guess I should start at the beginning.

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    You can hear his voice clearly while standing watch outside. You have the feeling that he is very sincere and both filled with a deep sadness and overwhelming regret.

I'm Comto Migúel "de" Montazzo, and it all started... I think a year ago.

Spoiler: Jahn
    Show
    A Comto is a minor noble title that is given by merit and allows him to even have the "de" in his name. Though that really doesn't narrow it down. Noble titles by merit can be handed down to war heroes or even academic breakthroughs and some mumble that some of them also have buyed the title as a means of a starting point to get in the great political game of nobles. You know the Montazzo's as a merchant family that trades in ballistic weapons (like crossbows) but is also exceptionally there to give they're newest inventions towards the "exemplary armee" a subdivision of the Valsenan army that trains to use new and innovative tactics that blend the highest in technological and magical advances. Not all Montazzo's are nobles but some of them, who got some breakthroughs are.

I had weird dreams about a women's voice. Who frankly ordered me to do some ridiculous and horrible things. Of course I didn't take it seriously at the time, even when the dreams got more and more real and the threats she threwed at me more colorful I thought it was due to external pressure. But then. He stops for a moment and the boy gives him an encouraging shove.

He takes a deep breath and continues. Someone broke into my house. I'm sure it was a beastman from Ferolia And he forced a black Concoction into me with a weird instrument. And then. He stops again, struggling to find the right words. His eyes jump around even more furiously than before. I felt the most horrible pain that I couldn't even imagine. Something changed inside of me and my assistant had to endure the same fate. He then said "And if you still don't do what the Lady says, she will find even more horrible torture to inflict upon you." And I... Couldn't even. Think. About. That. Pain. He presses the words out of himself tears forming inside his eyes though he quickly looks away and wishes them aside. The boy didn't say anything but silent drops are flowing out of his eyes.

I couldn't even think about resisting her. But then when you showed up... Perhaps you have a way to help me get out from this nightmare. Could you help the girl?

Spoiler: TL;DR
    Show
    He dreamt about a women giving him orders. He was given some form of horrible pain liquid from a beastman of Ferolia and then followed the orders of the dream-women because he couldn't even imagine more horrible pain that he was promised should he go against her orders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum sighs. "More villains. Of course," he says at the news of some evil werewolf. And the story of his foul deeds follows soon after. Lips pressed together and frowning, the healer looks away for a moment, shaking his head at what has been done to these people. Utter senseless savagery.

"Yes, do not worry, the girl is recovering. The affliction proved resistant, but not immune to cleansing mana," he answers.

"I will need to know if any more people were afflicted, and precisely how. However, before that, let us see if I can help you two. You spoke of a black concoction and feeling the destruction of this woman. The current hypothesis is that her tar-esque substance was involved, and it being heavily Shade-aligned. This is overall rarely tread territory for me, I cannot say at this juncture, off the top of my head, what manner of change it brought. We can, however, attempt the breaking of an affliction or curse, without using curative magic that may prove harmful to you. Should this not yield results, I may need to consult other healers or priests. Does that sound agreeable to both of you?"

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney stands in the shadows beside the door of the hut, listening intently, remaining silent and letting the healer do his work.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm. I take it the sun hurts you now," Larimar says. "So what were you two just doing as we came? Moving when you realized she wasn't coming to you in your dreams anymore?"

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Comto Migúel "de" Montazzo of the Montazzos? I've admired the workmanship of the crossbows and other gizmos of war that made it to the brokers of the streets of Valsena since I was a lad. I know there are pressing matters at hand, but if you also craft those items, I'd love to see some of them sometime after our other business is addressed." Jahn says excitedly after hearing the man's name, beaming his pearly whites such that they almost sparkle.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2021-01-25 at 04:58 PM.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

No I wasn't able to inflict any more, the poor girl was a test subject for trying out that resistant strain of ghoul fever. He nods to the boy and he opens his little box. Miguel takes out two coins to show them to Thaum.

It's a pretty involved process, involving strips of ghoul flesh and stripes of cursed items with the shade coins as a kind of basis. The resulting mixture can be applied to the skin and sinks in immediately infecting the target.

He turns towards Larimar. Yes the plan was to run away before the one who defeated her would kill us. It's also not really... Hurting. It feels more like I have party'd for several days and have the most severe headache ever when I step out into the sun. The clothing helps a bit.

Miguel turns towards Jahn a slightly embarrassed smile on his face. I fear I don't share the same passion that my family holds regarding ballistic weaponry but I do have a passion project of mine as a memorial I would love to share.

When Thaum offers to use his spells, Miguele wants to be the first. I don't want Alrik to get hurt should something go wrong I should bear the burden. And should you not be successful, I would head your call if you can promise me that we won't be killed.

When Thaum's spells wash over him his face contorts for a moment but other than that it seems to have no effect.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2021-01-25 at 05:09 PM.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm. You know.." Larimar begins, "I think we'd need help from the light of Whisp. Since Shade is involved here, and they are diametrically opposed..."

He shrugs and adds, "Just that little spell that Whisp taught me melted away that nasty black miasma easily enough."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-01-25 at 06:13 PM.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm," notes Thaum at his spells failing to accomplish what he set out to do, but also at how and why they failed. "So the bad news is that my spells are insufficient to cure your condition as of this juncture. What you have been injected with has altered your bodies' mana to be strongly Shade-aligned, which is non-trivial to reverse. I am still in the process of researching such a condition, as my mana is similarly inclined towards Undine. The good news, however, is that we still have several possible approaches to cure you we can attempt. Acquiring Undine's direct aid, or a sample of what you have been injected to research an antidote, most likely by finding this beastman. Wisp may also help, having broken a strong Shade curse before. And if all else fails, well, that leaves a trip to Altena for me."

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn replies to the embarrassed man: "I'm sure if it's the project of a Montazzo like yourself, it'll be incredible. Especially if it's something outside of your families' normal specialty."

After seeing Thaum's spells fail Jahn speaks more seriously, if only a little "I have two leads for ways we might be able cure this ailment. There are stories of a benevolent dragon with a strange sense of humor that will grant boons to those who seek it out and pass its trials. I would expect the dragon's roost to be somewhere among the highest peaks of the Nerval mountain range. It would be a challenge to locate the dragon's lair, a potentially perilous journey, and the trials may or may not be wrought with dangers as well, though even if only a few of the stories of this dragon are true, I'm positive it would help as long as we pass whatever trials it sets before us.

There's also a sage, Garzwer from the three golden paths. He built a tower near the town of Wendel some distance from here who may have sufficient magical prowess to help. From what I've heard of Garzwer it'll be imperative we're cautious on how we approach and deal with him. As I understand it, he's not exactly the most morally upright individual in the land."

The bard's euphemism leaves a lot to the imagination, given that Jahn trades in stories and not historic records carefully scribed on fine parchment, there's no telling exactly how accurate the information is, but a lead is a lead.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2021-01-26 at 08:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken says "Well Migúel, to be honest, I am not sure you are worth saving. You were in a difficult situation, for sure, but you still had a choice. To inflict death and suffering on others, a girl at least and you know very well that if not for us it would have been many more and with children among them, or to fight back. You chose wrongly.

While I have no sympathy for you, the boy deserves a chance. Some possibilities have been mentioned, but as a last resort, it's possible that you need a new body. I'm talking about magic that reincarnates or resurrects the dead. Some druids of my people are said to have such abilities. Though I'm not sure if they would be eager to help you. Also, I've heard some troubling rumors about the elven forest, and would not mind taking a trip back there to check on things."

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Miguel begins to smile when he hears that they're may be possible ways to help him only to be crushed by Ken's comment. There is hopelessness on his face, then anger that quickly changes to acceptance.

You're right of course. I could have try'd standing up against what was inflicted upon me, but...

No! You're not at fault! You… But Migúel cut's Alrik off.

But if you think you can help my assistant and I'm too much off a danger to stay alive I would accept my penance. Just promise me that you do everything in your power to help him. You can take the things on my cart and even my horse Xhindan with you. I leave my fate in your hands.

Spoiler: Jahn, Ken
    Show
    You realize that Xhindan is also the name of the personal mage of Valsena who specializes in divination magic.

Alrik is speechless and doesn't seem to be able to form words right now. Migúel hangs his head, ready to accept any decision coming from you.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

"Uhm, Ken.." Larimar says, clearing his throat. "It's all too easy to judge people when you've never been in their position before..."

"I'd like to think I'd do the right thing and choose death and suffering for myself instead, or at least be able to best a beastman who broke into my home in the dead of night, but honestly, the comparison isn't very fair. We are heros, I'd like to think. And these folk? Not so much."

He looks at Miguel and Alrik as if having second thoughts, however. "Still.. I am wondering why you stayed here rather than.. you know.. fleeing? I imagine you could have gone to Valsena to get some help and shelter from this evil."

And Larimar peers at the "boy" a bit longer too. The other night, he did seem pretty gleeful about his own parents being dead.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

The rabite has been watching silently from the corner for now.

"Indeed, Ken. We've already seen some extraordinary transformations that have been born of faith and support. And, Thaum, if any of Mana's magic, or any of my odd friends can help in your cures, I'll try to find a way to contribute to your efforts."

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's clearly to see that Alrik seems pretty shocked about his teacher basically offering his life to rescue him. He glares at Ken but it doesn't seem that he really has the will to speak up against him, not trying to weaken the sacrifice Migúel made.

Migúel looks up at Larimar and smiles weakly. I would have liked to seek shelter from that evil and tell others about it. My family is not without influence after all but to tell you the truth I was afraid. Afraid that all would see right through me. Attack and kill not only me but Alrik too and in addition to that also bring shame to my family.

He seems very sincere now that you have opened up to him and decided to find a way to treat his assistant and perhaps him too.

Spoiler: Ridai
    Show
    You can't read the mind of Alrik but it seems that Migúel is far more important to him than his parents have ever been.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

"What do you mean 'see right through you'?" Larimar asks.

The use of that phrase was confusing. They would think he was lying if he was telling the truth? Wouldn't he have meant to say 'not believe him'?

"Would your family really be so heartless? You don't even look all that different..."

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Migúel gulps at Larimar's question and instead of answering him opens his mouth. He did before while talking but now he slowly opens it more and as soon as he does you can see that his canine teeth get visibly longer, not only that but they get also pointier, even more impressive than Larimar's or even Coney's teeth.

He slowly closes them and you can see his canines shrink visibly again, so much that they fit in his mouth just fine.

We two can't eat normal food. Instead we have to drink the blood of others, at first it was really hard but we were able to get through with animals. It doesn't taste pleasant but it drives back the hunger. Also there is this thing.

He slowly draws a dagger and try's to cut himself in the hand. It seems that nothing is happening. That combined with our aversion to sunlight it seemed very easy to look through us.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum looks over his shoulder at the group for a moment. "Your inherent mana is composed of eight elements. You do not wish to experience your mana aligning itself to a single element." The sentence hangs in the air for a moment, before he turns back. "Since the topic of assigning blame and penance has been broached, in my eyes, between the mana shift, the torture, the mental connection leaving you vulnerable wherever you went, and needing to protect a child, who would have been harmed instead of you if you managed to resist, you were powerless. If penance should be done, do so by protecting and raising Alrik right, and doing good after you are cured. Clearly, you are more a parent to the boy than his birthparents were."

"Coming back to the possible solutions, I am able to provide both reincarnations and a spell to raise the dead, though what is classified as a resurrection by the Altenan system is beyond my means. They also come with quite non-trivial costs in diamonds, so acquiring the material needed will take a bit of doing. Still, it could be a viable reserve solution. The elven forests sounding as if they are experiencing trouble worries me as well." Thaum rubs his forehead for a moment. So many things, so little time, and clearly too few troubleshooters in the world.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn nods in agreement with his more empathetic of companions. "No point dwelling on the times you've been boo'd off stage. All we can do is try to put on a better performance next time."

His analogy isn't particularly relatable, though hopefully the message is clear. He turns to Thaum, having just enough knowledge to be figuratively dangerous, but not enough to know the answer, he quietly makes an inquiry "If this shade alignment has turned them into some kind of undead, would reincarnation magic work on them? I know undead often respond to healing magic by getting harmed, being destroyed, or I've heard they even might explode at times."

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

As Jahn has a healing question: "Healing spells with a wound recovery component are indeed harmful to undead. Reincarnation and base level resurrection simply do nothing to undead, while seventh circle resurrection would indeed return undead back to life. The latter is, however, still far out of my reach. Whether any of these spells would help with a Shade mana shift or much this renders the person undead, I cannot say. I am unaware how much research has been conducted on a person's mana aligning itself towards a singular element, as well as methods of reversing the change, whether universal or for specific elements."

Looking to everyone present, Thaum says "We appear to have a fair number of possible approaches, and we should get a message to Valsena that the plague threat has been dealt with. Let us depart, decide which one to pursue." Back to Migúel: "Where can we find you two once we have a solution? Are you staying here for the time being?"
    Last edited by Ridai; 2021-01-30 at 04:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

"Wait, what about this beast man?" Larimar asks. "I wantto make sure he's not causing any more trouble, especially for these two."

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

"The beastman is one of said approaches. He might still have a sample of this concoction." With the several discussions going on, yes, it may actually be a good idea to inquire more about this person, so back to Migúel. "Can you tell us about this beastman? Description, whereabouts?"

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I would love to tell you about his current whereabouts but I fear I can't. He didn't leave an adress or anything, but I'm pretty sure that he returned to the beastlands.

He thinks for a bit and both Miguel and Alrik come up with a description. Sandy fur, that covers the whole body, that is also muscled beyond belief. A fanged muzzle and dangerous claws at both hand and feet and an impressive mane that goes beyond the shoulder, darker than the fur on the body.

Spoiler: Larimar, Thaum, Coney
    Show
    Besides the mane that sounds eerily close to the lioness that Rina transformed into in the battle of Rabiton.

Well we wanted to get away because we thought that you would certainly come to kill us, I guess there is no reason for us to go away so I think it would be best for us to stay here.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum's face scrunches up when he hears about the beastman most likely having returned to Ferolia. Scrunching just a little. "Ah, I had a feeling." There are... many, many more pleasant places than that patch of land, what with forests eternally cast in moonlight, filled with dangerous creatures, and a highly aggressive beastman population who really, really love hunting and fighting. If this beastman actually has something to do with their court, it would only get worse.

"From what I know thus far, this beastman sounds like the most pressing issue, though I cannot say what trouble there is in the elven forests. I just hope no one else has been injected with this concoction. And that there are not additional tar people."
    Last edited by Ridai; 2021-02-01 at 05:43 AM.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar adds, "The trouble is, if this beast man is still loyal to the Shade Lady, he might come back. Or maybe not. I'd think you had better get going just in case he decides to give you more trouble. Also, fixing your condition by staying here is highly unlikely..."

"Hmm. Where are we going now? Valsena? And then where? We can probably bring them along with us.. and at least make sure they don't get in trouble.."

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney's ears twitched.

"If, um, there aren't pressing reasons for them to be in Valsena, it might be better for everyone if Miguel and Alrik stay here until a cure is found. Fewer, um, temptations for them, good access to animals as they need. Fewer distractions. Yes?"

Her nose twitched.

"And we have an old friend who's probably still in Valsena, who might know more about this beast man. Or, at least, where to look for him."