New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

Settling in for the... sleep portion of all-day night, Thaum decides to break out a blanket. Not for warmth, just for a bit of comfort in a hostile environment, however nonsensical it may be. In the same vein, he gives a little smile and wave to the squirrels and the flying sheet. Hopefully, wherever Zanthia is, she is living in relative comfort, at least.

At the settlement, the healer appreciates the chance to observe a new culture for a moment. People being people.

"Would any of you like to take the lead?" he asks Larimar and Coney. Glancing over to the other group arriving in town, he adds "And do you think they would be cross if their injuries were healed?" Warrior culture can be difficult to predict in its permutations and prides.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar shrugs, "Well, it wouldn't hurt to offer to heal them - after a time. Seems like they like showing off the injuries for a bit though. Hm, in that vein, maybe we could do a little showing off as well."

Larimar will switch his magic quiver out for the fancy one he won in a tournament. "Maybe we could each hold some cockatrice feathers? I think the only thing more impressive than coming back home partially turned to stone but alive would be coming back with a handful of cockatrice feathers but not turned to stone at all!"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-04-08 at 01:24 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Encouraged by the sight of crow-people, Coney decides to adjust her appearance to that of a rabbit-human hybrid, about 3' tall. Much easier for the talking than the cockatrice form, although it was sometimes hard to remember what to do with the hands. What do humanoids do with their hands when they're not talking or eating? She jammed the illusory hands into pockets and smiled at her companions.

"I can try. Let's start with that blacksmith? Thaum, it's like his hair is the opposite of yours!"

Hopping over to the blacksmith's shop, smiling at all those she meets, Coney smiles and then, belatedly, remembers to wave a hand before jamming it back into a pocket.

"Good morning! We're new to town, and hoping that you can point us in the direction of a place where we might be able to find lodging this evening. Also, I'm fascinated by those folks over there who look like they just survived a close encounter with a medusa. Are there some kind of games going on today?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Thanks to Naberius, Coney's diplomacy checks only take one round and she can take 10, which she does, giving a result of 33.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The rabbit-human hybrid that is Coney get's some waves back when she walks through the town, there is some interest from the other citizens but she doesn't get spoken too first. When arriving at the blacksmith he smiles down at her, revealing especially white-hot glowing teeth. He raises his hand for Coney to wait a bit, gives the piece of metal two more wacks and then sets it aside to let it cool off. It seems he works on a rake.

"You do look new I can see that." He chuckles to himself, but readily points at a house that seems to have been grown out of a tree. "Maysel over there takes people in sometimes if you can pay her in stories that is. Our warriors just returned from a Tropicallo hunt. Though they probably ran into a Medusa or a Gorgon too. Are they also a problem where you come from?" He smiles again, he seems to be a pretty cheerful person. "I'm Calcifer by the way. From where do you come from? Needed to escape from the capital?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney smiles broadly at the warm welcome, and introduces herself and her colleagues quickly, without ornamentation.

Stories we can pay in plenty! We'll be sure to speak with Maysel. Thank you! I have to admit, I'm fascinated by your teeth! Do they heat up the food you eat as well, or are they simply an outer manifestation of your inner warmth? One of my sons is a smith, and is always complaining about singed fur and such. Having flame already wound into your being would be a tremendous boon in your line of work, I imagine.

We're from all over, but most recently in Valsena. I'm afraid that there's a mysterious illness that's cropped up there, and we're trying to track it back to a lion-man from Ferolia, to make sure it doesn't spread further. Does the name 'Archon Megralras' mean anything to you?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum's head moves in agreement as he listens to Larimar. "This sounds prudent." He declines adorning himself with feathers, though. Poor form to wear trophies when one has not really participated in bringing the target low. Larimar, Ken, and Jahn make more suitable wearers, surely.

"Do you believe so?" he says in response to Coney, pinching a few azure strands and bringing them in front of his face for examination. He is fairly certain that last time he checked, his hair was still hair, if oddly colored and moving. Surely he is not going to sprout formed, flowing water from his scalp anytime soon, right?

He smiles to Calcifer, and when he sees the shining grin, he can't help but glance over to Jahn, practically seeing the moonlight reflect in his teeth in his likely response. "Where did we arrive, if you do not mind asking, sir?" Glancing over to the returned hunter party, Thaum adds "Successfully hunting a Tropicallo is no small feat. Is it customary to display the marks of their hunt for long?"

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar trails up behind Coney, a smile on his face as he listens in on the conversation. He was having to try harder to keep the smile genuine as time went on.

He nudges Coney. "Ah yes! Dreadful illness, it was! I sure hope he is okay and he didn't accidentally give it to anyone."

"Oh Mr. Calcifer! We won a contest while in Valsena! Now tell me, have you ever seen such a splendid quiver as this?"

Larimar takes off his golden quiver and offers it up for the blacksmith to look at. While temporarily distracted, Larimar shoots a look at Coney and puts a finger to his mouth in a "shh" gesture.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+7)[27]

Generally trying to convey a hidden meaning (which is very simple), and change perspective/subject without being.. too obvious.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Some of the villagers are whispering and pointing towards your trophies. One even says loud enough to hear. "I think they got a big one!" Which seems to give you a lot of recognition and some solemn nods. Larimar especially seems to be somehow revered, getting some solemn greetings.

Calcifer: "Oh, my teeth are not hotter than myself, though I do prefer spicy food and getting even hotter. Though I fear my flames are really just a part of me and I can't teach your son what I just am."

Regarding Thaum: "Oh you just arrived in Mintos." He Looks towards the hunters and smile again. "Just if they have been a nuisance recently. We lost some houses because they were tunneling under us a lot. We still have some that are hurt, though thankfully no one was killed. They're acting a bit unusual, if they were not plants I'd say they are in mating season." He laughs again, though it has a tinge of worry this time.

Some of the other villagers have gathered around you, enough that it's noticable but some of them has masked they're approaching like sitting down, doing something with they're shoes. One older women, with a basket has brought a stool towards where you're talking and continues weaving a basket. Some of the teenagers have also followed you, pointing towards Thaum and snickering.

When the Name of Archon Megralras falls everyone get's silent for a moment but when Larimar chimes in the usual village rumble continues.

Calcifer: "Oh, you must mean Archon Marase. Yes he is very fine, I'm sure he would be happy when he's visited by some of his relatives. You are, right? Your fur surely looks a lot like his." He says to Coney.

When Calcifer looks relieved at the quiver he is quickly wrapped up in the piece. "That is a very niece piece. Lot's of shining metal. We don't have that here. It has a very curious embossment, what does it mean?"

Spoiler: Jahn, Coney, Ridai, Ken, Larimar
    Show
    Calcifer seems surprised about hearing the name, but other than that, you can't discern more.

Spoiler: Ken, Ridai, Larimar
    Show
    The other villagers that are near you, also seem surprised when you say the name. You're sure that at least some recognised it too.

Spoiler: Ridai, Larimar
    Show
    They weren´t surprised, they were in not a small amount of fear, you also could swear that Calcifer has visibly shrinked a bit, when you told him the name, but raised again, when Larimar interjected. He desperately wanted to get another name. The other villagers also seem relieved.

Spoiler: Ridai
    Show
    You're definitely sure that one of the teenager-ravens has a pretty strong reaction to the name Archon Megralras. He seems afraid and angry, definitely more anger then fear.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Obliviously glossing over any tensions that her line of questions may have caused, Coney smiles.

"Ah! Yes, perhaps I misheard the name. Archon Marase. I don't know if we're related, but we can certainly compare family trees. Where would we find Archon Marase, Calcifer?"

She looked around the shop, clearly mystified by some of the wares on offer.

"If only I'd known that we'd be seeing such excellent craftsmanship, I'd have waited until we arrived in Mintos to get our supplies. Such a shame!"

She glances around at her companions, wondering if they had anything else to ask, or were ready to seek out lodgings with Maysel.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum certainly takes note of the many, many reactions to their presence and Coney's question. He also briefly glances to the teenagers pointing at him, practically with a question mark above his head.

Right now is most likely not a good moment to ask the one particular teen who had a strong reaction about the reasons why. Not with basically the entire village listening. Better to wait for the conversation with Calcifer to end and general interest to dial back a bit.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The wares that Calcifer offers are not that much. Either metal is really rare or he just displays choice bits. Most of it seems to be gardening tools of pretty good craftmanship (all masterwork) and one finely crafted dagger (also masterwork). But you miss horseshoes, metal armor and weapons that are bigger than a dagger, though that could also be inside the building.

"Oh you find his house right over there." He points at a building that comes clostest to something of a mess hall. "You know he can be a bit grumpy but I'm sure he'll be happy to see some of his relatives." Calcifer does seem pretty proud about Coney's comment but then excuses himself. "I'd love to talk a bit more but I need to get this done or else Maysel would rip my roof straight off." He laughs again and then proceeds to work.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar explains, "Oh, these? It's my family's crest! But to be honest, we didn't really have such a thing until very recently. You see, in order to enter the tournament, we had to have one. So.. I just kind of made it up." He chuckles a bit to himself.

"Well thanks for your time!" He waves cheerfully and lets the blacksmith get back to his work.

Getting close to Coney he whispers, "As I suspected, I didn't think that was a name we should be flaunting around. We need to be careful and try not to draw undue attention to the fact that we are.. you know.. investigating him."

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney nodded at Larimar's wisdom.

"True, but sometimes the best way to find a hive is stir up some bees. I didn't notice anyone getting angry, just kind of nervous. So maybe he doesn't have too many friends here either."

She bows from the waist to Calcifer, not trusting herself to execute anything more complicated hand-wise, and headed out of the blacksmith's shop. She consulted with Thaum.

"Do you feel a need to go offer assistance to the hunters - or whatevers - or can we head over to Maysel's to sweet-talk our lodging?"

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Knowing very little about the customs of this strange land, Ken chooses to mainly observe for now, rather than to initiate conversations. At least the locals don't seem hostile.

To Calcifer he simply said "Hello, I'm Ken, from the elven lands. It's been interesting to see how much forests can vary."
    Last edited by kinem; 2021-04-12 at 08:46 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum waves goodbye to Calcifer.

"I do would like to, if you do not mind. And another inquiry after," Thaum answers Coney. As such, he makes his way around (or if there is no good way around, through, with customary excusing where necessary) the impromptu crowd and to the hunters.

"I heard you had a successful hunt. A Tropicallo is hardly an easy target, at least to my limited knowledge. Could I offer you healing for your more bodyborne trophies?" he asks them. "If you would prefer a scar to be left, I can attempt to accomodate."

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Calcifer, before goes back to his work, feels the need to respond to Ken. "Oh well, if you like the outer forest, I'm sure you'll feel great if you go to the inner reaches. They'll be all kinds of fascinating plants and things out there."

One of the hunters (the one who held up the leaf) responds to Thaum, after listening to him. "You're a healer? If you can do something about these nasty pecks, that would be great. Not only was it a Tropicallo but these damn chicken got to us in the middle of the fight, we're nearly lost one of our pack, though it seems you lot didn't had as many problems eh?" He says recognizing you're trophies. "You even got a big one? Not many can claim that." The hunters who have been partially turned to stone (the hunting pack seemed to have consisted of six people in total everyone suffering some kind of wound though none seems life-threathening, and half of them have been partially turned to stone) line up for Thaum to do his magic while the apparent leader talks a bit more.

"It normally takes days for the stone to turn away. And if we're in bad luck another of these damn fruity ones could burrow under our houses and let them crash in again. But I'm sure were having a break from them, at least for now."

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Titan in the Playground

Developing a slight streak of pessimism, the healer makes a mental note that they will be fighting a Tropicallo soon.

"We encountered a few rather irate bushes and the aforemented chickens before one of the girthier specimen plummeted from the canopy and sang us a song of its people," Thaum explains as he takes a look at what he has to work with, beginning with distributing his weakest spells first to clean up the wounds, then laying his hands on the partially petrified parts to restore them back to flesh. He asks each to move the body part a bit and whether their sense of touch has returned in full there.

As he works, Thaum asks "Are attacks and hunts as you mentioned and went on a regular occurence, or do you feel these have become more frequent than in the past?"

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The healing goes perfectly well and the limbs are restored to perfect health. Thaum gets a lot of clasps on the shoulder and friendly ellbow jabs, though his question seems to have struck a cord.

"Well it has never been easy here. But that's why we're living here." Some cheers erupt from the group, but they are soon interrupted by some whispering.

Spoiler: Thaum, Ken, Larimar, Coney, Jan
    Show
    "They have brought down a big one, haven't they?

Spoiler: Jahn, Windstruck
    Show
    … Has been at least a decade till we have seen outsiders, they really must be strong...

Spoiler: Windstruck
    Show
    ...That weren't dragged through here...

Though the leader quiets the others with a gesture and resumes. "Normally the outer forest is still dangerous, but not as dangerous that our young or the elderly can't handle everything on they're own. But they're seems to be more dangers than usual. Some of us wanted to try getting through the capitol. But the forest has become more dangerous. But it could just be on of luna's whims." He shrugs and holds the leaf towards Thaum. "You want that? As payment for your healing?" It doesn't seem that the group is against that decision.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Titan in the Playground

"It appears dark times are approaching for many indeed," Thaum answers when he hears about the rise of danger even in this environment. He raises a hand when it comes to payment. "I only ask for recompense if I have to. If you do not mind, I would still like to hear about this leaf's properties, given your offer of it."

Spoiler: Public service announcement
    Show
    Remember kids, always share information with the party as soon as possible. Don't be like Ridai who posted with a foggy head and now is looking for some sort of organic way to share information about the birb teen so the rest of the party doesn't need to wait on Thaum.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"It's a good one." Says the beastman and he's able to wear the leaf like a toga, just by applying it. "It protects you from cold and heat and you can even sleep in it, and the healing sap let's you recover a bit faster."

Spoiler: Leaf
    Show
    It sounds like a wearable version of a magic bedroll.

"Well take care. Should you give it a try to get deeper in the forest, we could accompany you, at least for a while." The group agrees enthusiastically and then intermingles with the rest of the village.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2021-04-19 at 06:08 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum watches the quick demonstration and description with interest. Cultivating such leaves (should they not happen to grow on rather voracious and/or destructive plant creatures) could greatly benefit any given population, whether for people recovering from injuries, or staving off the hazards of temperature (within reason).

"The wonders I am introduced to today. Please do keep it and may it serve you well. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. He waves the group goodbye for now and turns to his companions, speaking in a quiet voice. "One of the corvid adolescents had a distinct reaction to the Archon's name. Agitation rooted more in fury than fear." Thinking back a moment, he adds, a touch confused "I appear to have been the source of some measure of... amusement earlier. At the moment, I am uncertain whether this would be beneficial or detrimental to our inquiry." It's the hair, isn't it?

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Her 'hands' still thrust into pockets, Coney smiles at Thaum.

"I'd focus on the friends you just made more than any ribbing they're giving you. They seem like rough-and-ready folk. If the subject of our search has pissed them off too, no wonder he left town.

"So. On to Maysel's?"

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum looks quizzical for a moment, azure hair slowly following the slight motion of his head. "Pardon, I meant whether it may be more appropriate for someone else in lieu of me to ask the child about the Archon or not. The reaction was distinct enough that, at the very least, our quarry left more of an impression of this particular boy, or that he may know more he may be willing to share."

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

The rabite's left ear quirked into the shape of a question mark.

"I had thought that we had just talked about being more circumspect in our inquiries about He Who Makes Everyone Look Uneasy and Pissed Off. I would say that strolling over to him in the middle of the street is sort of the opposite of that.

"My guess is that, as strangers in a relatively isolated community, we're already becoming the gossip of the town. Let's get settled in. Odds seem good that stories aren't going to be too hard to tease from these folks, who have seemed eminently decent and kindly."
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2021-04-20 at 10:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah. I simply wished to ask whether we would make inquiries at all, not necessarily now. Either way, please do lead on to Maysel's."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Hopefully this is the last bit of confusion I cause.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Titan in the Playground

"Right, let's get on with it, and be, uh.. circumspect. Yeah."

Larimar's eyes gleam a bit with mischievousness. "If it's stories they like, I have plenty!"

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Maysel's house seems to a large cottage, besides her house seems to be a small earthen hill with a door attached to it. A small humanlike creature with rabite-like features (not unlike what Coney transformed into) emerges from the house, carrying a crate. It seems to have a bunch of gray hair and some gray fur but that seems rather spotchy, like some of it has fallen out. When it sees you there is no hesitation as it pushes the crate into Coney. "Be a dear and bring that to the cellar, yes? I'm Maysel and you are?" Maysel waves towards the hill regarding the crate and looks you over, taking note of your trophies.

"Looks like we have some delvers here. Why don't you come in and tell me a bit about yourself, yes? I'm sure I can whip up a soup or something while we talk." She seems to be a bit absent-minded, but friendly.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar looks back and forth between Maysel and the hill a few times. Then he finally points at the hill. "That's your cellar?"

"Well, one thing at a time..." he chuckles. He gives Coney a hand with the crate.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

The rabite nods and bows, ducking awkwardly to avoid having to deal with the crate altogether, and nodding gratefully to Larimar, who, after all, actually has hands. Instead, she does a tiny shake of the basilisk feathers, letting them speak for themselves.

"Well, hello! These are Ken, Jahn and Thaum. That's Larimar and I'm Coney. It's a pleasure meeting you, Ms. Maysel. You look marvellous, might I add."

She looks around the simple home, which suits her just fine.

"I feel that if we're to be staying here, I should be up front about our business in town. We're here on the trail of a very dangerous lion-man named Archon Megralras, and looking for anyone who might give us information about him. Now, you're already going above and beyond, offering us a floor and a bowl of soup, but if you can think of anyone here we should speak with about him, I'd sure appreciate it. And we don't mean to be causing you any trouble, so if our business is likely to harm you, you just let us know and we'll be on our way."

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The cellar seems to be a hollowed out hill that is used to store different plants and provisions.

After Coney's marvelous comment Maysel counters. "Ha, if you think that gives you some better soup you are damn right. Is Stone Soup alright with you? I just have to see what I have lying around to add." You all get some small bowls with a little soup in it. Though Maysel adds the sizable pot in the middle of the small table you are all seated and while you talk she always adds a little more. Nonetheless it seems the soup keeps an almost mineraly taste.

When Archon Megralras name is mentioned she stops dead in her tracks and looks at you, her expression a mix of unbelieve and panic.

She needs a moment to catch herself.

"I'm sorry but... You shouldn't talk to anybody. You shouldn't search for him if you value your life at all." She looks at you and your trophies again and then shakes her head. "I don't know why you search for him but it's not worth it. I have took my battles already and. You just shouldn't." Maysel sits down, her shoulders slumped, staring down at her table. Almost as an afterthought she ads. "I doubt he would harm me even if he knew. He isn't interested."