New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

Ken says "I don't think I'm quite objective here, but my instinct would be to check out what's going on in the elven forests. The elves may know something about the other matters as well."
    Last edited by kinem; 2021-10-25 at 08:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Titan in the Playground

It's a lot of information to take in. Larimar suggests, "Hm. Seeing the elves might not be a bad idea, but what about Sage Joch? I think he'd have a lot more personal knowledge. And I think they said his island was not far from Valsenna?"

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney ponders, scratching her chin with an ear.

"I have to admit, I've avoided seaborn travel - wasn't sure how a round creature would do on a swaying deck - but that shouldn't determine where we go first. I'd vote for the elves first, and then on to the island of the sage after?"

Coney does not enjoy her own indecisiveness in this, and nods.

"Yes! That's what I recommend."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Titan in the Playground

"We should most definitely visit the sage, he assuredly is a true font of knowledge, perhaps even on several of these topics. However, whatever seeks to befall the Elven Forest has me concerned, so I would like to go there. First. Not exclusively."
    Last edited by Ridai; 2021-11-02 at 12:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The way back out of the beast kingdom and the forest of eternal night works without a problem. You encounter more of the forests strange and dangerous beauty but can avoid dangerous encounters on your way back.

It's a bit irritating at first, that there is actual a changing sky after getting used to the eternal full moon night of the forest.

You have to stay for Valsena for two days to catch a boat that'll bring you towards the elven islands. Perhaps there is a day studying in the library or helping out the local guard?

Sadly there is no cannon station in the elven forest and if you ask the dwarves they don't really want to shoot you blindly, because you could just fall in the water, which could get dangerous really soon.

After you get on a boat (they charge 10 Gold for every one of you.) You can enjoy a bit of nice sea travel. The boat is rocking back and forth, bringing you away from the Valsenan coast and out in the untamed sea. Your ship is accompanied by some porpoises, together with having a blue-haired person on board the crew is sure that nothing wrong could happen during the travel.

And surprisingly enough no sea snakes enwrapped the ship. No giant octopi wanting to snack on the wodden boat AND there aren't even any fish people trying to capture the boat crew. After three days of sea travel you arrive at an island, with a small wodden dock, with really no other ships or anyone to control you're arrival.

Spoiler: Kinem
    Show
    That is pretty normal.

From the dock there is a small fishing hut, with some boats and some nets. It doesn't seem that anyone is home at the moment. The small fishing boats however seem to be in good condition and the nets are also seem freshly repaired.

Larimar can spot a path through the foliage, there will be a lot of leaves and vines and branches in your face, but the path seems usable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

Visible passage of time in the sky will take some getting used to, same with the positively blinding sunlight after days of nothing but moonlight and fluorescent plants. In Valsena, while they could make the trek with the ethereal mounts, mishaps on the open sea are unfortunate, and it necessitates proper navigation. Something reserved for emergencies. Thus, Thaum uses the two days to visit Mercy, see how she is recovering and how Duncan is doing. He of course spends time doing what he does best, unintentionally being a dire corrupting influence on the local healers' guild with his filthy non-profit ways. Though, should anyone of the healers' guild ask, Thaum has a candid discussion, which does include that he can do what he can do due to no shortage of personal healing power and self-sufficiency, making it rather easy to spend the majority on the people.

The Archon's research is studied, sending it to Rince before they board the ship for safe-keeping and study, with a thanks for his message and gifts, and asking to keep in touch, in regards to Rabiton, Rince's research, and should he have the time, what he can glean from the Archon's research.

However, time is kept free to visit and spend time with Varin on both days, should her schedule and interest allow, taking her out to dinner (or the equivalent of the daytime, given her nightly patrols) and providing her with a full treatment of healing, removing even the tiniest of ailments and stress. Thaum would be lying if he claimed the lady knight had not left an impression, and he feels he never properly thanked her.

-----------------------

On the island, Thaum remembers something Zanthia once told him. "I have been informed island elves have embraced a lifestyle as whimsical as it is mellow. At the moment, this appears likely," Thaum comments the absence of any elves. "Shall we?" Idly, Thaum still wonders what became of Zanthia. She is a powerful woman more than able to get by on her own. But Thaum still can't help but worry. He most likely will for a long time.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

After the shock of a first afternoon outside of the beast-realm, Coney opts to experiment with a new safety measure, shared with the others. Sharing a simple enchantment that allows the recipient to see in all forms of darkness, Coney creates a vast sphere of such darkness around herself.

"I figured that, if we do this right, we'll all be able to see in the darkness, but those who seek to harm us might not."

She peers skyward, shielding her eyes with her ears.

"Plus, no sunburn."

--

Back in Valsena, she helps with the offloading of the whips and other things that the group wasn't holding onto. She arranges to send a letter back to her daughter Mary, confirming receipt of the parcel and message, wishing them well, and letting them know that was travelling on to the elven isles.

Coney also spent some time in the library, looking up the islands that were their next destination.

--

On board the ship, Coney tried to avoid rolling overboard, which usually necessitated wrapping an ear around a railing, a mast or some rigging. Let's not even start on what happened below-decks. Suffice to say that a rabite in a hammock bears a striking resemblance to a sling. She kept to the shadows below-decks, mostly, perfecting a new connection with Tenebrous, lurking in shadows, teleporting all over the hold, and feeling profoundly alienated. It was like a second adolescence!

--

On the islands, Coney gratefully bounced down the gangplank and onto solid ground. Heaven!

"Such a beautiful place indeed. Do we want to walk or ride?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The spell she casts on everyone is Ebon Eyes, and it lasts for about 100 minutes at this point. If Coney binds Tenebrous, she can emanate deeper darkness in a 70' radius - making it hard for opponents to attack us at range, and giving a miss chance close up.

The other major benefit from Tenebrous is access to Flicker 1/day
    Spoiler: Flicker
    Show
    FLICKER
    Apprentice, Ebon Whispers
    Level/School: 3rd/Conjuration (Teleportation)
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round/level (D)
    Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
    You fl ash through the conduits and pathways of the Plane of Shadow, manifesting in multiple locations in the real world. Once per round, as an immediate action, you can instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within a distance of 5 feet per two caster levels. You always arrive at exactly the spot desired—just as with the spell dimension door. If you cast flicker in response to an attack against you, the strike has a 50% miss chance.

Last edited by Toliudar; 2021-11-10 at 10:41 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken softly whistles a tune as the group leaves the ship.

He says "It's good to be back, if not quite home, in the vicinity.

I should mention that most island elves think about property a bit differently than is done in most other places. Useful items are regarded as a communal resource, you might say. So an elf might borrow something, and see no need to ask about it first. In turn, the elf would have no objection if his item is borrowed, as long as it is done with the intention to return it in a timely manner. If you find yourself included in this system, you should take it as a compliment that you are considered part of the community. However, it may be wise to make clear that you would rather not be, if that's a problem. It gets a bit awkward if people start carrying around magic items and such."

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney chuckled at Ken's delicate description of elven culture.

"Well, I definitely appreciate the word of warning. What's a good, non-confrontational way to indicate that I may not want to be included in that, um, circle of usefulness?"

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Titan in the Playground

Of course, Larimar had no problem leading the others out of Ferolia and back to civilization again. Thankfully they had no trouble getting back.

In Valsenna, Larimar does end up spending a lot of time at one of the libraries, but he wasn't really 'studying'. If anything he was probably distracting one of its workers, but he did try to make up for it by helping out. Maybe, Larimar got to go out on another date!

Larimar tells Windri all about his adventures. It's reminiscent of how he would tell his family back home. He lets her know of the plans to visit the elven islands next, and eventually bids the female chobin farewell, until next time.

---

On the ship, Larimar tries his hand at some fishing, though it's not really ideal at all. The sea isn't really his element, but at least they didn't get stormtossed, and he didn't get seasick, so he was thankful for that.

On land.. well, that's when things start to get interesting.

"Haha! They sound like a friendly and trusting sort! No need to be alarmed! Just make sure to ask for your things back before you think you need them!

He pats Coney on the back, perhaps too hard, risking reenacting her mishaps on the boat all over again.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken says "If you say that you don't want your things to be borrowed, the elves will respect that. But that also means they won't lend you anything. That can make life difficult for an outsider, but for us, we are just passing through so it should be fine."

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn rubs his chin "Fascinating. I can hear it now, an epic tragedy to tug at the heartstrings, when a young suave bard travels to the elven lands." Jahn hums a low sad note before bursting into a jaunty tune, the timber and lilt of his voice making it a clear attempt at comedy.

(1d20+13)[22] Perform

"To the elven lands I journeyed
    but we then did parley
    they swung my sword
    got hurt and swore
    and now they want me dead.
    How about we just break bread?"

As the silence momentarily returns to let the last note of Jahn's impromptu musical number hang on the air it's immediately gone again as Jahn lets his thoughts tumble out of his mouth.

"I have my concerns, though being friends with the elves may be worth the risks."
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2021-11-14 at 11:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken tells Jahn "Not your best work, but the journey is young.

And indeed, I think you will find that we are worth the risks."
    Last edited by kinem; 2021-11-15 at 08:28 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney giggles.

"Well, if you're any example, I'd say the elves are well worth the time. Looking forward to this!"

Trying to cast off the veil of sadness that seemed to infect her over the voyage, Coney pulled out their rod of travelling and waved it to provide each of them with phantasmagorical mounts. Coney clambered onto hers with a practiced bound.

"I've made some modifications to get some additional speed out of these things. They can also cross water now, in case a sea route is more convenient for us. Would you care to lead the way, Ken?"

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The sound of the calming waves and the crunching sand, makes way if you get deeper into the forest to a slight whisper of the wind and joyful chirping of birds.

Instead of the neverending darkness of the Beast realm, the darkness here is because of thicker voliage and streams of light, almost green in they're color get filtered down. It's remarkable that nearly all plants look particularly healthy and colorful.

The phantasmal horses don't really make for faster travel because of the especial thick foliage, but they are pretty good in helping you avoid branches in your face, even if some get through. And you can sit somewhere without the rocking of a boat, instead there is the steady forward movement of a creature that glides over the ground instead of touching it which may be a relaxing feeling if you had problems on a rocking boat.

After two hours or something a small but noticeable change goes through the plantlife.

At first only Ken and Larimar make the observation but after a while it's unmistakable even for the most city focused charakter. All of the plants let they're branches and leaves hanging, almost like every plant had taken on the charakteristics of a weeping willow, while still retaining they're healthy and colorful hue. The cheerful singing of the birds too seem to have gotten a more somber, almost sad tone.

Spoiler: Ken
    Show
    This is nothing that is totally unusual. Perhaps a beloved member of the society here has either passed away or has left the isles. It's kinda normal for the nature to be affected by the current mood but that it affects a lot of plants instead of just some, definitily does indicate that something more well-known sad thing had happened.

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    You do know that some elves have the ability to affect nature (be they're powerful druids or rangers or are just that connected to nature that it reflects in the land.) That effect could well be something like that.

Spoiler: Thaum
    Show
    You remember that Zanthia once told you that during an elven goodbye (which others may have called a funeral) the clear sky became grey. It started to rain and every blade of grass bowed down to send the departed away.

You're horses, lead by Ken's familiarity keep steady till another hour has passed and you arrive at some houses. They are pretty far away (kinda like the farms that surround Wendel), with some well kept gardens but they don't seem to be any people there. The foliage has somewhat decreased, you can see some 200 ft. away some other houses.

Spoiler: Ken, Larimar
    Show
    It has become dead silent all of a sudden. Additionally, the gardens don't see to be taken care of that well after a second look. There is some stuff to do it seems like it was abandoned a month or two ago.

Spoiler: Ken
    Show
    Which does seem pretty unusual. Also you would suspect that someone greets you but there seems to be no one here. You are at the far reaches of a town and there is still some ways towards the center but that they seem to be some abandoned houses is pretty unusual.

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    There are some small noises if you stretch your ears but it's actually the noises from behind you in the forest. You are not in a zone of Silence but it feels almost eerie that as soon as you reach some far off houses that you stop hearing anything.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar signals, stopping everyone.

"I fear something is terribly wrong. These houses seem abandoned for quite some time."

He turns the phantom steed around, peering into the forest behind him. "Are we being followed?"

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm." is heard from Thaum as they travel, looking to change in the surrounding plant life, then the sky. "Signs of widespread sorrow. Or death."

They arrive at the elven settlement, just as Larimar halts the group. Thaum gets ready for... whatever may come. Or not. They shall see.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn admires the architecture and gardens as a gentle whistle escapes his lips. "What well kept gardens. I imagine the cuisine crafted with the bounties produced must be exquisite."

Surveying the area a bit more he adds "The gardeners are probably nearby given the pristine conditions of the gardens." wondering if perhaps the locals are hiding from the newcomers or are otherwise occupied.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2021-11-15 at 03:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken shakes his head and says "No, something is very wrong here. Drooping plants is a sign of mourning on the part of nature. But it being this widespread is far from routine.

And these gardens may still appear well tended by human standards, but I would say they haven't been tended for a month or two, and if the elves were still here they would not have chosen to leave them that way.

They have fled or they are ... you know. Prepare for danger."

He casts greater magic weapon on his sword.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney shifts in the seat of her cloud-pony, ears perked and listening to the melancholy birds. Her fur, normally literally sunny in its disposition, seems to darken in sympathy with the mood of this place. Her brows furrow.

"Some kind of chill, a lingering shade. I'll check for any auras of stuff."

She weaves a simple detection spell and scans the glade.

Show
    Coney casts Detect Magic and begins to scan the area.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The silence is broken by the words and deeds of the group, but as soon as they are spoken the silence creeps back, almost like it's swallowing they're words.

Ken's spell goes off without a hitch and it doesn't seem that the group is being followed. The spectral horses also doesn't indicate any sign of being disturbed, if they even can feel that emotion.

Spoiler: Coney
    Show
    You see some transmutation magic affecting the forest (probably whatever made them hang down.) And a weird magical residue surrounding the area all around you. It's not an active spell, with your Expertise perhaps they're was a lot of magic done here or something very magical has passed through here recently. You could get more out of it with a Knowledge:Arcana check.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney completes a small circle of the vicinity with her horse, and turns to her companions.

"This area has seen some powerful transmutation magic recently, but I'm seeing only the residue now. It's related to whatever is still affecting the trees."

Show
    Knowledge (arcana): (1d20+1)[14]

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum tries to make sense of the phenomenon based on Coney's observations. However, little is to be gained by standing around, so he heads towards the closest building to have a look if anyone happens to be around. Or if there is a sign of why they fled.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Rolls to maybe identify what is going on, magically speaking.

Knowledge (arcana) (1d20+6)[23]
    Spellcraft (1d20+11)[28]

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn's eyes widen the size of saucers at Ken's remark "Truly? They must have thumbs green enough to put the canopy to shame."

Upon seeing his allies looking around for clues, Jahn figures his own familiarity with magics may lend aid.

Spoiler: Kn: arcana
    Show
    If not the highest roll, then aid another to the highest roll:
    (1d20+15)[26]

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When Thaum goes near to one of the buildings, it seems that the walls and roof look more grown than manufactured. The door hangs ajar, what would seem inviting in other circumstances. The insides look untouched. There is a bit of dust that has settled in, but it seems more like the inhabitants have left for an extended holiday than for anything else.

Spoiler: Knowledge Arcana, Spellcraft, you're working together on this, all of you can read it.
    Show
    It seems that something that had very powerful magic belonging to Transmutation and Illusion got through here, because it's only residue you can't make out the exact spells, but the fact that you can still somehow make it out, is pretty impressive.

There is no one in the first house and also no one in the second.

Though you do realize that the garden for the second house does not have a fence like the first one. When you investigate you do find the fence, stomped into the ground. It looks it was bend over, broken and then droven into the earth by something very big.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Titan in the Playground

"Potent magic indeed to have left such a trace," Thaum comments. Such a sight is rare indeed. If this were an Altenan research group, they would be all over this. The healer, meanwhile, decides upon professional curiosity tempered by more practical investigation goals.

And said investigation soon reveals large steps in the countryside. That could very well have been part of the reason why the elves are gone, long enough for dust to settle. Thaum looks to the more wilderness-versed members of the group, trying to stay out of their way so they can do what they do best.

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, something happened, and it doesn't look like it was any good."

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Probably best to keep our wits about us in case whatever nasty beast did all this damage is still around and decides its hungry for an afternoon snack of adventurers." Jahn adds his tone leaning toward inappropriately jovial given what the party has found.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken says "I hope it was just property damage. Let's try to find a more populated area, we may get the story there."

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar looks at Ken and says, "Right. In any case, maybe the people here evacuated to such a place."

"Strangely enough, whatever smashed the fence left no tracks at all. Either some giant druid, or.. perhaps another kind of magic was used to do the deed."

Larimar leans down to study the fence. Maybe it was something different about the fence itself which is why it was the only thing that appeared to be destroyed around here.