New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

Ken says "Larimar, I hope you are right. I feel like we should go and just fight it out. But more information could prove important.

So, you know Rina? Please fill me in a bit on who she is and what she's capable of."

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn says "It attacks elves, or maybe humanoids. It doesn't seem to be doing property damage other than what it happens to destroy in that primary objective. It leaves the flora and fauna alone. Looking at it either drives you insane or kills you. Have your magic-users been able to discern any other aspects of this entity?"

Thinking aloud, recapping the situation to both show he was paying attention as well as hoping to jog his own memory of any stories that might fit.

Spoiler: Knowledges
    Show
    Not sure which of these would be most appropriate or applicable if they weren't covered by scene transition rolls:
    Bardic Knowledge (1d20+6)[24]
    Arcana (1d20+15)[21]
    Religion (1d20+4)[6]
    History (1d20+4)[9]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

"I am increasingly of the opinion that Luna's rise needs to be remedied," Thaum mentions as yet again adverse effects of this phenomenon are described, and have been witnessed.

To Ken's question, Thaum offers "She is an elven warrior with a case of lycanthropy, from what I was able to gather, rather than being a beastman. Her strength and combat prowess are rather remarkable, though she has been ever uncertain about her lycanthropic state."

When they are led to Rina, the healer examines the poor woman, and says to the figure beside her "Rina is a friend of ours. What attempts to remove her affliction have been made, and how do you intend to proceed about entering her dreams as well as curing her?" A beat. "Preferably in specific terms."
    Last edited by Ridai; 2021-11-30 at 05:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney is content to drift along behind the main group on her smoke horse.

She is relieved to hear that Rina is alive, and to see her old colleague again, although of course also concerned about her current state. But she knew that if anyone in the world could settle a mind deranged by magic, it would be the powerful healer. She stood back and let Thaum do his work, while speaking quietly to Jahn and Ken.

"Rina was one of those first gathered by the high priest in Wendel. A warrior of great grace and power under normal circumstances, but also holding a lion spirit, like the people of Ferolia. She was a brave companion, and instrumental in the defense of Rabiton against a horde of genocidal cultists, but it felt like something went out of her in that battle, some passion for the journey. I'm pleased that she returned here safely. But if she is deranged that would be, um. Frightening."

Coney looked over the face of her friend, her ears flicking in a characteristic divination to learn if the malady had an outer manifestation.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Coney will cast Detect Magic to look Rina over, just to see if there's some kind of ongoing magical effect, or if whatever it affecting her is now a physical/mundane thing.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm. Maybe this does have something to do with Luna rising? Or.. maybe someone trying to blame it on her. Has anyone ever tried communing with Luna to ask herself?

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The elves who brought you here respectfully leave the room and the small person perks up when you are entering.

She seems to be a halfling or perhaps a gnome it's hard to make out with all the bark. "Greetings! You'd be Larimar then I guess?" She Looks the rest of you over, gives the sleeping Rina a short look and then fully focuses her attention towards you. She does a Little curtsy and says: "I'm happy to have met you, even if it's unexpected. I'm Lyrona darkleaf, priestess of the Dryad. Rina has told me quite a bit about you."

Lyrona answers Jahn's question even if he techincally asked the elves out there. "It's a very enigmatic creature we are facing. The only thing we know is that it's an old creature. An elven diviner say'd the most he got out of was a rhyme he couldn't get the meaning of.

We're shadows sorrow spread.
    Wings fall off and colors weep.
    Deny'd the last sleep there led.
    Words are only falling cheap.

I may have translated it wrong, but it's the best I and other diviners had come up with by asking other powers about that creature… Or whatever it is."

Spoiler: Ken, Larimar, Thaum and everyone who can speak elven should I have forgot someone
    Show
    "the last sleep" is a common mistranslation of death.
    The elven word for "wings" sounds extremely common to the word joy.

Lyrona looks Thaum over, a bit of worry on her face. "I haven't talked to Luna directly but I have conferred with a priest of her and he too doesn't think it's really because of her rising that this thing appeared. I think it's something unrelated that happened at another time. It's true that some creatures awake at the time but the elves have very extensive knowledge of the past and no similiar creature has been described. Of course it doesn't stop others from thinking it might be her doing."

Spoiler: Coney
    Show
    Rina is hard to make out. She seems practically slathered with dryad and Luna magic. (Probably whatever keeps her sleeping and mad. Spellcraft for more.)

"I have try'd all the usual magical remedies for madness, as well as some mundane ones, but I can't seem able to dispel it. I would be happy if you give it a try I heard you are quite the gifted healer and perhaps your magics may be able to do more than mine." She hesitates a moment before continuing further.

The Dryad has gifted me with being able to perceive dreams and even entering them. What I saw was Rina battling with a force I could not discern. As long as she having that battle I fear I'm not able to help her out of her madness, she loses more the further this goes on and I don't think she will survive that much longer. Probably still a week, but it seems bad. I wanted to enter her dream but seeing that she probably trusts you more than me and knows you longer, perhaps you should try it? I can't exactly tell you what is happening in her dreams, only that she is fighting against something and that she seems to lose the battle, little by little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum examines Rina once more, thinking over the options. "The most potent potential cure available to me also carries the risk of ending the spell keeping Rina asleep, and it appears we are dealing with powerful forces here. As entering her dreams appears to be an option, what do we need to know about being inside a dreamscape, specifically how to combat the entity haunting Rina?"

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar considers the options until he finally concludes, "Well... if entering her dreams is actually possible, and it is a way to both save Rina and get some more information about this monster, seems to be the obvious course of action. I can only hope that nothing terrible happens out here while we're, uh.. doing whatever in there." he says, pointing in Rina's direction.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'll strongly advise you to take a rest before entering her dreams.

In the outside you will just sleep, I can't tell you how much time will pass, but by my experience it won't be longer than a day and that's already pretty unusual.

The entity will probably be already drawn towards you, wanting to feast on the power of The Dryad that has brought you there.

When you enter her dream you will probably look like you normally look like, I don't know the specifics but don't try to fly or something, it seems to be a very grounded dream from what I can tell. By all intents and purposes if you cast a spell in a dream it will manifest there, except a very strong effect from illusions and glamers. I don't think other effects will be enhanced or diminished but the possibility is there.

You will probably feel not much pain if the conjured dream entities hurt you but you will get sleepier if that makes sense. You can be killed in a dream, but you won't die. You will just awake outside here. I can bring you back inside the dream but should you die twice in a dream you will feel very weak and exhausted. I never felt the need to die in a dream 3 times, but it can't be good for you.

I don't know if Rina will realize it's really you when you appear. She may attack you and it's really important that she isn't hurt. She is the maker of the dream, the more she gets hurt, the more dangerous the dreamscape itself will become, because she will try to defend herself. If she dies in her own dream I can't say what will happen. Of the nature of the dreams the best scenario is that she just wakes up, but the worst could be that she will succumb to her nightmares and be controlled by them… And whatever did that to her, killed another one by looking at it.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2021-12-03 at 07:18 AM.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn, listening carefully suggests "If the invisible monster is likely be drawn here due to the dreamwalking, would it perhaps be a good idea for some of us to stay awake to help protect this place or serve as a last line of defense for those in the dream?" to no one in particular.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken says "I think it's better to have all hands on deck, both in the dream and in the real world. The elves can wake us up if we need to do that."

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Titan in the Playground

"A couple of questions. Do you mean the entity as in the creature in this physical plane will come after our physical bodies the moment we enter the dream, or that whatever entity is inside of Rina's dream will come after our dream manifestations as soon as we enter? If the creature outside will keep assaulting the barrier for an entire day, since that is how long we may spend inside the dream, is the barrier able to hold against such an continued and ferocious assault? My impression thus far is that the beast prefers to lurk outside this sanctuary, not to keep battering against your Dryad-infused walls."

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney has been next to Rina throughout the conversation, noting the delicate interplay of magics over the brave girl's form.

"If entering her dreams gives us some chance to save Rina, I'm in. I owe her this, and more. But I'm also tired and a bit spent from the day's travel, even with Ken's able guidance. To recover my full potential, I'll need about nine hours. Is it acceptable to everyone that we wait that long to, um, go in, so to speak?"

If there's consensus around an affirmative, Coney will finally get off her high horse and find a corner of Rina's room to sleep in. One of the advantages of the cloak of comfort and feather armour - you're comfy and cosy pretty much anywhere.

Show
    Ready to proceed whenever everyone else is.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar shrugs and says, "Well, I guess. I hope she can last that long. Don't suppose you can get your rest and mess around in her dream at the same time, can you?"

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn interjects "It doesn't sound like being in the dream would be restful considering all the talk of dying."

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken says "Coney, I understand that we could fight better after some rest, but it may be too late by then. Besides, if we rest after dealing with this, we might be in better shape for a real world battle tomorrow. I say we do this now."

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

Coney nods equably.

"Very well, then. Rina's health and safety are paramount. Let's go."

She takes a deep breath, bracing herself for whatever's to come.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Titan in the Playground

Receiving explanations and considering, Thaum agrees to entering the dream as soon as possible. Just before they transition into the dream, he imbues the group with additional resilience and himself with an amplifier. It is not much, but with the uncertain time frame, next to no information, and limited resources, only the spells that last the group an hour or two feel like efficient use of mana. The rest will need to be played by ear.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Thaum casts mass conviction on the group for a +4 morale bonus to saves (not +3) for 100 minutes, and healing lorecall on himself for 100 minutes.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If you are sure I won't stop you, please sit there, and if you could sit... She positions you around Rina's bed in a certain manner and produces a vine from herself to grab onto.

When everyone has a hold on the slightly twitching, living vine you can see small pink buds sprout out of it. They're giving of a slight smell that nonetheless feels very intoxicating, almost like you are drunk and very sleepy.

The vine stretches towards Rina's bed and sprouts even more buds, the slight smell that reminds you of cherry and almond blossoms with a hint of crushed blackberry gets stronger and you begin to feel dizzy.

Let yourself fall.

Show
    Just to make sure you could still decide to make a will save against 20 to not fall into the dream.

When you look towards your own vine again it's buds seem to have spread, they are now also at your arms and quickly there are more and more, almost like they are climbing up towards you. It seems the others have a similiar experience. Quickly you get covered by the small pink buds and you can't see anything, completely covered by the plant.

You then feel them shriveling up and floating away from you.

The blossoms are away and you find yourselves in different positions than before, strewn about a flat grey landscape. You hear a crunching sound and if you follow it see the elf that was on a bed before wielding an Iron Zweihänder, garbed in Rags, with the exception of Gauntelts and Boots. Before her something that she struck down crumbles to dust, when you appear she locks eyes with Thaum first, raises her weapon again like she wants to attack him but then seems to stop in her tracks.

You?

As soon as you got your bearings and have stood up, the scenery changes rapidly. Some wide wooden poles shoot out of the ground, together with a wall of bones, south of you. Out of the ground a big humanoid thing crawls out of the ground, splitting the earth with it's claws, the head only a massive, dripping mass of shadows, wielding the Grimcleaver, Rina's giant sword losely in one claw, also around you a mass of zombified rabites appear, dancing and spinning wildly in place.

Spoiler: Ken, Larimar, Coney
    Show
    Something seems weird about the dancing undead rabites, besides that they are dancing and spinning around wildly. Though you can't make out exactly what.

Spoiler: MAP
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Titan in the Playground

A peculiar sensation, descending into another's dream, but there is no time to appreciate or examine it much, same for the contents of the dream.

"We are here for you," Thaum says, moving closer to the center of the rough circle of wooden poles, spreading his hands and with it Undine's blessing. Rina has fought before their arrival, and thus Thaum sends healing energies to her.

Show
    Thaum casts recitation, granting a +3 luck bonus to AC, attacks, and saves for 10 rounds to all of Thaum's allies. He also casts close wounds at Rina, healing her for (4d4+29)[40] HP (excess becomes THP if Rina was missing at least as much HP as her number of hit dice). Since Thaum has healing lorecall on himself, he can also remove a condition listed by it if Rina suffers from one.

Thaum moves from N11 to L8.

Current buffs on the party: recitation (+3 luck to AC/attacks/saves; Thaum not included), mass conviction (+4 morale to saves)
    Current buffs on Thaum: healing lorecall

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn begins to sing the song of his people (the party) as he tries to make his way closer to Thaum.

"We entered into a dream
    Filled with bones, rot, and doom
    It makes one want to scream
    Yet somehow our victory looms."

Show
    Swift action: cast Inspirational Boost
    Immediate action: activate Badge of Valor
    Move: travel around the wooden pillar to N7
    Standard: Dragonfire Inspiration for +4d6 fire damage on attacks

Current active stance: Mystic Phoenix Stance

Maneuvers granted this turn:
    (1d6)[4] - Tactical Strike
    (1d5)[4] - Revitalizing Strike
    (1d4)[4] - Divine Surge
    (1d3)[1] - Mountain Hammer

Granted next turn:
    (1d2)[2] - Battle Leader's Charge

Spoiler: Team buffs
    Show
    +4d6 fire damage on attacks - Jahn is still singing so the timer doesn't start yet.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2021-12-08 at 09:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

The old rabite struggles to get her bearings in these bizarre surroundings. She darts towards Rina, glancing at the strangely distorted zombie-fied kinfolk that surround them on four sides.

Fearing that the big shadowy humanoid might be some aspect of Rina herself - perhaps the bestial leonine spirit in her? - Coney decides that attacking it right away would be a mistake. Instead, she decides to find out whether the zombie rabites are in fact zombies. Weaving her ears into an abstraction of Mana's symbol, Coney turns to the zombies to the northwest and calls out.

"My poor fallen brethren, we are here on a mission of mercy. Stay back and let us do our work!"

Show
    Move action: Move to J7.
    Standard action: use Tenebrous' Turn undead ability. As cleric 7.
    Max HD affected: (1d20+6)[24] Undead of 11 hit dice or less.
    Number of HD affected: (2d6+13)[23]

If she is targeted with an attack roll, Coney will use an immediate action to cast Wings of Cover.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2021-12-09 at 09:28 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken takes in the strange surroundings. "Well this is ... not exactly what I expected. What's up with the rabites?"

Even though it's a dream, he acts as he would normally, preparing for battle but not starting one. He casts Greater Magic weapon on his sword, and draws it while moving close to the others (I7). He also uses a swift action to activate his Blademage's Edge.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar waves to Rina. He would say something, but everyone else was already speaking, or singing, so.. that would be a lot to take in.

The zombified rabites were weird. Was this relating to the last time they had been with Rina? Larimar edges closer to get a better look at them, because something was off. But he is still cautious.

Also, the massive figure appearing was rather concerning as well. However, it seemed to be holding Rina's sword..

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I'll just have Larimar move closer to the rabites to get a better look at them.

And with no other action defined, might as well be taking the defend self action.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thaum's spell seems to bolster Rina and she looks healthier and better. There are more than usual! Rina turns around and hacks at one of the emerged totem polls, when she hits there seems to be something dark sirupy oozing out of the thing.

Spoiler: Rina attacks
    Show
    Attack: 1(1d20+15)[21]
    Damage: 1 (2d6+7)[14] Fire: 1 (4d6)[14]
    Attack: 2(1d20+10)[24]
    Damage: 2 (2d6+7)[15] Fire: 2 (4d6)[15]

Coney's attempt to disturb the undead rabites don't seem to interest them at all. They may look like undead, but perhaps of the strange nature of the dream or perhaps because they somehow cloak themselves are not undead creatures. Though the massive bone wall sprouts several sceleton arms and legs and runs away from Coney, the sceleton heads imbedded inside screaming while it gets away.

Where it was before stands Thaum, but with dark hair a green mist surrounding him and a facial expression that oozes with cruelty, clearly making him a false copy. The Not-Thaum raises his hands and weaves them in a complicated pattern, when he opens his mouth a cacophony of gurgles and screams erupt out of him and he ends them with a swiping motion towards Ken.

Spoiler: Spellcraft: 19
    Show
    He casts Phantasmal Killer

Spoiler: Ken
    Show
    Make a Will save against 23, when you succeed you see the most fearful creature your charakter can imagine but you realize it's only a fake. Should you fail make a fort save against 23. Should you fail this one you die (though that would you only wake up in the real world. Your weapon still affected by your spell). If you succeed you'd get (3d6)[8] damage.

The southern and western totem poles shake violently and release steaming acid towards Coney and a ball of ice towards Thaum.

Spoiler: Totem attack against Coney
    Show
    Touch attack: (1d20+5)[15]
    Acid Damage: (3d6)[13]

Spoiler: Totem attack against Thaum
    Show
    Will save against Sanctuary: (1d20+5)[13]
    Touch attack: (1d20+5)[24]
    Cold Damage: (3d6)[6]

The northern and eastern pole also shake violently but instead of releasing an element the shadowbeast appears disappears and appears besides Jahn, bringing the Grimcleaver down on him.

Spoiler: Attack against Jahn
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+17)[21]
    Damage: (3d6+16)[28]
    Crits on a 15, Crit confirmation: (1d20+17)[27]
    Damage: (3d6+16)[28] If crit additional Damage: (2d6)[9]

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Titan in the Playground

"What the heck..! This is strange, even for a dream! Uh, hey Rina! You know we're all in a dream, right?" Larimar says waving at the elf, and immediately breaks the 4th wall. "Whoever came up with all this is twisted!"

Well he wasn't sure what was happening or what was what, but NotThaum looked like really bad news, and so did those pillars. He had doubts if his arrows could do much to them, but he did have another target. Larimar repositions himself for a clear shot (at current positions anyway) and aims his bow at the specter and... waits.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    ready an action to shoot Thaum's evil twin, should it cast again on its next turn

attack: (1d20+22)[35]

damage: (1d6+4)[9] + (1d6)[5] nonlethal..?

Fingers crossed that the attack actually works.

While he's taking his time aiming, he says, "Hey guys, I think you should follow Rina's lead and destroy those big totems."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-12-10 at 06:17 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

As the shadowbeast slashes Jahn he exclaims "Argh! This doesn't feel like any dream I've been in..."

Hearing Larimar's recommendation, Jahn decides to do just that. He awkwardly draws and swings his weapon slashing only air with the fiery blade as he tries to navigate both the objective of destroying the totem as well as defending against the monster that suddenly appeared. He loudly utters language too colorful to scribe here in frustration at the turn of events.

Show
    No Swift this round
    5ft step to N6
    Move: draw sword
    Standard: Use Divine Surge against the totem:

(1d20+12)[13]
    On hit it deals:
    (1d8)[1]+(2d6)[5]+5+(8d8)[27] Plus (4d6)[17] fire

(1d6)[5] reciprical
    On a 31 or higher attack roll
    (1d20+12)[15] to confirm
    (1d8+5)[7] extra damage on critical hit

Critical Miss

Spoiler: Jahn's Status
    Show
    28 damage, 4 reduced by DR, 5 additional damage from his sword
    49/73 HP, 5/5 Steeley Resolve

All maneuvers granted next round
    Divine Surge expended

Spoiler: Group buffs
    Show
    Dragonfire Inspiration +4d6, 5 more rounds
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2021-12-10 at 04:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Titan in the Playground

A totem pole shakes angrily at Thaum, to which he answers with stabbing a finger towards it, along with a decisive "No."

With his other hand, healing is sent to Jahn, before a burst of ethereal water wreathes everyone (except Larimar) in protective barriers. He spots Fauxm appearing and noodlign his arms towards Ken.

"Hm. How trite," he comments at the creature, continuing with his work.

Spoiler: Actions and active buffs
    Show
    Spellcraft (1d20+11)[14]

Swift Close Wounds on Jahn, healing for (4d4+29)[43] HP (excess becomes THP)

Standard Mass Shield of Faith on everyone except Larimar, because Larimar is too far away from everyone else. +4 deflection bonus to AC for 10 minutes.

Free Criticise Fauxm

Current buffs on the party: recitation (+3 luck to AC/attacks/saves; Thaum not included), mass conviction (+4 morale to saves), mass shield of faith (+4 deflection to AC; Larimar not included)
    Current buffs on Thaum: healing lorecall
    Last edited by Ridai; 2021-12-10 at 12:58 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Yikes! Ken is shocked to see a horrible-looking undead rabite with giant saber teeth coming at him from the mouth of the fake Thaum, but he recognizes the spell and realizes that it's not real. Not that any of this is real ...

"Thaum, now I see why you're such a good guy. The evil look just doesn't work for you."

He casts Whirling Blade and hurls his sword at the offending Thaum imitator; it returns to his hand instantly. He also prepares another use of his Edge.

OOC:
    Attack (1d20+19)[30], damage [roll]2d6+15[/rol] + (4d6)[16] fire

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

damage (2d6+15)[22]