New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

Coney

Coney leaves one ear resting protectively on Rina's forehead as she turns to join the conversation.

"Didn't the beast ram up against the thorn wall when it attacked? Maybe we could recover blood from the thorns. That is, if we decide to take the chance of tasting such foul stuff."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Titan in the Playground

"It may still be usable in coagulated form. At the very least, possibly gathering it now will allow us to analyze and perhaps prepare it in advance in case we do opt to use it."

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The barky halfling lady gives a status report. They're haven't happened anything around here, other than some time passing. For a moment I thought Mr. Flint would wake up, but it was just a short flutter of his eyelids.

Regarding the blood she seems to be a bit worried or concerned. I have helped in summoning the protective vines, I could draw out some that hurt the beast. It's blood get's visible some time after it has left it's body if you want to give that a try. She looks at Rina a bit bewildered. I do wonder what gave her that idea? Well if she awakens perhaps she could tell us. She makes a small swirling motion with her left hand and should there still be some leaves stuck to your body, hair or fur it plucks itself out and gathers in her hand, she then gently lays them around Rina's bed in a semi-circle.

Spoiler: Knowledge: Arcana 10
    Show
    Maybe it's superstition or maybe it's seriously working but that's a common thing to tell that if you draw something like that before your bed you're protected from nightmares and monsters. (Even the ones that live under your bed, however that works).

Spoiler: Thaum
    Show
    The blood should still be usable in congealed form.

If you want to follow Darkleaf goes out again. Several elves are rummaging the halls, some children seem to be in a elaborate hide and seek game and you can't help but notice that the general attitude, despite you're essentially being on a siege doesn't seem to affect the morals that massively. You saw some that have been in the grip of panic but that seems to be the minority.

Spoiler: Ken
    Show
    That's pretty normal though. Living through emotions and openly showing them is a pretty island-elf thing to do, but the close-knit community (that also values the individual highly) seems to have a positive effect in these extreme circumstances.

When you're out again Lyrona motions you to stay behind while she goes towards the vines, they don't seem to attack her and if she touches one, some others burrow themselves out of the ground, not violently moving this time.

Some light blue blood is splattered on the thorny vines that have appeared. It's already congealed but still clearly to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Titan in the Playground

"There was a fight inside the dream, however we were able to avoid the less fortunate outcomes."

Thaum follows outside, inspecting the blood. Retrieving an empty jar, he scrapes off as much of the now solid substance as he reasonably can into the container. "Unless you wish to head out immediately, I shall see whether I am able to reduce the less desirable effects. Rehydration or suspending pulverized congealed blood in a solution should easily take care of making it easily consumable, at the very least."

So if Thaum gets the opportunity, he swiftly goes to work analyzing the blood's properties and how to craft it into something more useable.

Heal check vs DC 30 (1d20+19)[30]

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

"I may have a way to at least even the playing field with the beast, if not give us the advantage. I can extend an area of darkness that even that beast might not see through, but I can give all of you the power to see through it. If we're lucky, we can give it a taste of its own tactics."

One of the less obvious advantages of being pillow-shaped is that no special requirements are needed for sleep. She tucked herself in next to Rina's bed.

"But in order to do that, I'm going to need sleep. After travelling, fighting that beast, and then fighting the dream images, I'm not going to be of much use in battle against the big ugly thing as I am."
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-01-18 at 07:49 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar follows the team outside, nodding to their ideas and expertise. "I'm sure you'll whip up something in no time," he says, slapping Thaum's back encouragingly, though he was speaking a bit more from his own ignorance of the matter, and the pat was probably more grating than anything.

"Not a bad idea, Coney. And Ken! Yes, perhaps we could have this creature blinded, and yet be more adept at fighting without being able to see it, ourselves! Although I'm not sure if your power would work while shooting a bow. Still, it might be worth a shot," he says making an unintended pun. "Or, I've got a knife.. though I doubt it'll be that effective. And I have some wands and scrolls as well?"

He shrugs, looking at Ken and Jahn. "..eh, I'll be honest. I think you two will be the ones to take the beast down. But at the very least, I'll be cheering for you!"

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken ponders. "We should probably try to keep the fight close to here in case we need to retreat.

Shooting a bow is a bit different, yes. But ... I have seen elves perform amazing feats with a bow in the woods. Try this on for size, Larimar!"

He casts a spell on Larimar.

Spoiler: spell
    Show
    Heroics: Woodland Archer (Races of the Wild, p. 154)

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

We'll watch over your sleep while you rest. The guards will still be stationed and we'll stay vigilant.

The rest itself goes on without trouble (well in the middle of it, the beast threw one half of a house against the vines, but then it seems to have retreated again.) Thaum needs a bit of work but ultimately is succesfull in dilluting the beasts blood in a way that it should still give the positive effects but the harming effect should be minimal.

Spoiler: Dilluted Beast blood, for everyone who ingests it.
    Show
    It gives you a Supernatural -2 to Constitution that can't be mitigated in any way for 24 Hours and should give you the ability to see the invisible monster. You're not sure if you can still see it after 24 hours. Should you want to use the Constitution ability blocking amulet that you have, please write me a PM.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Tell me if you want to do any lasat-minute preparations before you head out to try and confront the monster.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn says "I guess the sleep we got in Rina's dream wasn't exactly restful." indicating his agreement to the idea that resting before combating the strange supernatural beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken is glad to rest as well, and it gives him the chance to recharge his mana.

Looking at the concoction Thaum comes up with, Ken has to admit that it's not as disgusting as he feared.

"Good work, Thaum, as always."

He considers ... I should probably swallow my pride along with some of that ...

"So ... what's the plan?

Also, let me know if you want that spell I can cast to improve a specific aspect of your combat skills."

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, this will still negatively impact your health and endurance, however the effect is relatively small compared to what it was before. I will be unable to cure the effects, however, they will need to run their course across the span of a day. I also wager it will taste rather unpleasant." Thaum presents his results.

He looks to the others. "What options for fighting it do we have? I can provide my range of enhancements, however we still do not really know what we are facing."

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar marvel's at Ken's, er.. whatever it was, he magically gifted the Chobin with some additional form of combat prowess. "Huh. I .. I don't know. But I feel more confident about all this."

"Well, how many doses of that stuff do we have?"

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Titan in the Playground

"Five doses, all in all."

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn says "Dole me out some of that gross concoction, Thaum.". Once the strange stuff is in hand, he says somewhat hesitantly "Down the hatch.", pinches his nose with one hand and swallows the dose of stuff in a few quick gulps.

After smacking his lips a couple of times he says "Not as bad as I expected. Pretty bad, but I've had swill booze in Valsena that tasted worse."

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken says "I'll drink the stuff too, I suppose.

I think I've mastered a couple of useful new spells recently, but they only last ten minutes so I want to cast them a few minutes before the fight.

Should we attempt a scouting mission, or just go out there and try to face it, or try to lure it somewhere?"

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Titan in the Playground

"Given the circumstances, we should stay together, though this also makes scouting difficult. I would not know where to lure the beast, and the act of luring would also necessitate knowing what it reacts to, how fast it is, and what senses it possesses. The ethereal mounts are much too fragile to use in a chase. Given we know next to nothing about this creature, fighting it in the fields in front of this sanctuary may be our best option, in order to have a place to retreat to."

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

A much-refreshed Coney is very grateful for the watchful eyes of her friends. When Thaum doles out the doleful vials (vile doles?), Coney accepts hers without comment, but doesn't drink yet.

"I think I'll wait until we know the creature is nearby. Just in case the effect is short-lived."

As they prepare to exit the protection of the thorns, Coney lays a simple magical augmentation on the eyes of each of her colleagues.

"If you can stay fairly close, we should all be in a darkness that we can see through, but no one else can."

Once the others are ready, she calls upon the power of the night to cloak the area in an inky blackness.

Show
    Coney casts Ebon Eyes on everyone except herself (she gets the same benefit from Tenebrous). When she turns it on, she emanates Deeper Darkness in a 70 radius.

Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-01-24 at 11:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, I agree. No telling how long this stuff lasts, so I'll also wait until we think it's close," Larimar says.

"It's also just, apparently impossible to track. Aside from stuff it outright destroys, it doesn't seem to leave any evidence of its passing."

"Hm. Maybe we should mill about in that little village that wasn't too far away from here," Larimar suggests. "Also, I kind of think that once we are able to see it, we might not have too much trouble dealing with it. But it will likely start running away again. And since tracking it will be impossible.. better have a speed boost ready."

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Titan in the Playground

"The effects should last approximately a day as well."

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Whether the strange concoction is imbibed at the moment or later, you try to find your way. You let the confines of the elven base behind you, while keeping in contact with Ken and as you got in this way, you also got out the same, without any attacks from the vines.

You hear magpies singing and the smell of fresh earth permeates the air. It would almost been peaceful if there weren't a destroyed house once in a while. Though you can't make out any trails, both Larimar and Ken realize something different.

Spoiler: Larimar, Ken
    Show
    Most elven houses are actually grown instead of build. The older destroyed buildings are clearly distinguishable from the freshly destroyed ones, which shows you a clear way, where the monster had fleed towards.

The forest around you get's thicker, the insect and bird life though get's more lively.

The sun begins to set, while you're continuing your journey.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum walks behind Larimar and Ken, keeping an eye out for any signs of the monster's passage.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, uh. Not really any tracks, but still a pretty clear line of destruction..." Larimar points out.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken says "Right. Good thing we held off on consuming the goop, since we might not catch up with it today. I wonder where it's heading. Also where it came from. And, well ... about it in general."

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Jahn bursts into another song:
    Perform (1d20+13)[30]

"We're off to hunt the Beast, the Beast
    A terrible Beast it be
    We'll search far North, South, West and East
    For we do not fear ye
    We'll hunt the wicked Beast, o' Beast
    It won't escape our eye
    No matter where the Beast may feast
    The wicked Beast shall die!"
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-01-28 at 08:07 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney

As Jahn's song concludes, there is the soft susseration of a Coney's ears clapping together. She follows this up with a soft murmured incantation. She follows this up with a murmured incantation. As the group pushes forward in their bubble of darkness, Coney's eyes seem to gleam as she looks from side to side.

Show
    Coney will cast and concentrate on Detect Magic, scanning in a 180' sweep as they move forward, watching for any auras that show up.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Ken says ”That’s a good one, Jahn. Could be the opening part of the whole tale!”

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar hums along with Jahn's tune, but a bit off key.

After an awkward silence he finally says, "So, uh. I guess we'll have to settle down to make camp at some point? Or would you rather keep trying to pursue it in the night?"

"Personally, I think I'd rather make a camp, but I think we could do it in a way as to attract the monster's attention and lure it into a trap."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-01-29 at 10:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"What kind of trap did you have in mind, Larimar?" Jahn asks, the tune of the song still slightly evident in the cadence of his voice.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Titan in the Playground

"Well I suppose it depends what we come across. I imagine that, ideally, we make a camp somewhere relatively safe with a vantage point. And we make a fake camp with several fires and some shelters. We could, say.. maybe place it all in some kind of pit, or a dell or valley."

Larimar shrugs. "Either way, I would guess fire may attract it at night, and we'd best not get too close to that."

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As the darkness overcomes you (but you are still able to see perfectly fine thanks to Coney's spell, you come upon a clearing that has been cleanly cleared out to give a nearly flat place. Nestled in is… Something.

You can't clearly decide if it's the monster but it seems to have roughly the form that was outlined by Coney's Glitterdust before.

It's huge and unsightly, having just two massive plantlike legs and a big round center body.

You can't make out any eyes but it doesn't seem to react to you in anyway.

Spoiler: Coney
    Show
    If you have the stuff imbibed you can see some strong magic emenating from the creature, it seems the concoction also pierces through additional magical senses. You can make a spellcraft check for more Information.

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    You have come across several valleys before and forests that you could use for fake camps and ambush points. If you want to set an ambush roll a Survival check.

Spoiler: All
    Show
    If you have imbibed the concoction when you got up, it has been around 9 hours till you drank it.

Spoiler: Map
    Show