New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

As the others search the undead body, Larimar muses, "I saw some kind of bat fly into the cave as we were stopped outside. A warning for the ones here, no doubt... I think someone else is here running things aside from Jerry. Especially considering many of these monsters were summoned. That takes time, and summons only last so long. Here's how I see it happening. The bat scout warned everyone we were coming. Jerry came to the entrance to 'greet' us and stall us. Meanwhile whoever else was here summoned those minions and prepared them for the ambush."

He paused for a bit to catch his breath. Clearly lost in thought he continues, "On second thought, supposing Jerry thought we may survive and therefore not believe him... you think we should check high up first anyway? I mean, didn't Ethan, er, the high priest also say the Sprite Whisp should be up there?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-01-11 at 01:47 AM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney chuckles gruffly at Larimar's recommendation about the spider's well-being. Since it was already infused with darkness, she doubted that much more could be done to it - at least, not in the amount of time it would remain with them today. Still, there were more important things to do than lap up diseased blood.

"Shelobite, climb along the walls to that outcropping."

Coney directs the spider over to where the sniper had been when it was pestering them. She got out of Thaum's way as he tested out his rope creation.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thaum's upwards rope hit a bridge roughly 100 feet above. The one down hits something nearly 230-250 feet down.

Shelobite slurps a drop of blood up and then makes his way to the little alcove.

Aned has no problem getting the armor off the ghast. In the little sack there are two potions. One is short and big with a little picture of a smiling tomato on it. It's filled with a green liquid. The other one is long and short and has some sirupy orange stuff inside of it. There are also broken irregular silver pieces in the sack.

Aned lays the ghast on its back and finds under the armor a crudely assembled amulet made of snowflake obsidian and a mouse skull, with some other small bones as additional decoration. He also wears a finely decorated gold ring with an inlet ruby. It has a small faded etching that goes around the ring. It's not a known language but more nicely decoration.

Spoiler: Zanthia
    Show
    It seems for a moment that the ghast is still alive, but it's just the rest of the magic leaving it's body. The armor, the amulet, the ring and the two potions are magical. The silver pieces are mundane. The strongest magic is in the armor. You can make spellcraft checks to find out more about the magic items and save an Identify.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-01-13 at 08:54 AM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Zanthia, as a witch, is not able to use an Identify spell, however she does have a lot of magical training and studies the pieces for some more time. She hums softly as she does so, and once again you are struck with the idea that she is talking to the items, coaching their secrets out of them.

Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show
    (1d20+9)[13] armor
    (1d20+9)[22] amulet
    (1d20+9)[24] ring
    (1d20+9)[18] potion
    (1d20+9)[13] potion
    #GoreMutualarejerks

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Long way down, but not out of reach, should they feel the need. But yes, they were told the way to go is up and Larimar seems to be in favor of that notion as well by now. With a press of a button, the ropes retreat back into the rod as quickly as they shot out. He helps with stashing anything useful, if needed (and if it is heavier or more space is needed, he offers to place it in his bag, revealing it to be bigger on the inside than it looks), and once that is done, Thaum aims for the highest stone bridge he can see (and if he can't really see far up, he aims into the direction of the bridge he hit earlier). Once more, a rope shoots out of the rod, lodging itself firmly in place.

"I can make the rod pull us up to the stone bridge. There is not that much space to hold on to, so my suggestion is that Rina and I hold onto the handle, while Zanthia holds onto one of us, and Larimar and Coney onto the other. Aned, since you can fly, your choice if you want to move up by yourself or hold onto one of us, but if you could help us up one by one once we arrive, that would be great." The healer really doesn't look all that strong, but he seems pretty confident about potentially carrying multiple people, even if the party skews towards being fairly lightweight.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Thaum retracts the Rod of Ropes, then uses the second option (rope and grappling hook) to hook into a stone bridge above.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

Aned sheathes her eagle claw, and takes her short bow from her back, testing its pull before looking upward. It is certainly true that the high priest told them to seek upward, and perhaps Jerry was telling the truth, thinking he could slay them after winning their confidence. She still wishes to question him, but it could also be true that he is trying to delay them while allies of his endanger the Wisp. All exploration is reaching into the unknown, and the most important thing is not to hesitate.

"I'll fly up ahead and ensure that the way is clear." she says in reply to Thaum. With that, her exposed skin starts to glow warmly, like a salt lamp, illuminating the air around her as she floats up to where the rod of ropes has attached itself to the bridge above, on the look out for enemies.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Activating Body Lamp, which casts bright light out to 60 ft and shadowy illumination out to 120 ft. Flying upward to the end of the rope, and looking for threats.

Spot (1d20+11)[23]
    With my dying breath
    Hear my warning I have said:
    "Don't call up what cannot be brought down"

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar shrugs and says, "Eh, I can probably climb that..." craning his neck upward.

He smiles at the others and adds, "Probably best not to put everyone on the same rope too."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Zanthia
    Show

Armor: The armor is magical, no additional information.
    Amulet: Seems like it's an Amulet of Mighty fang +1, there is also some effect in place that let's you supress your own smell, though it can be turned on and off.
    Ring: The ring is a simple ring of protection +1
    Potions: Both are magical, you can't discern anymore else.

Aned sees at the edge of her vision some small animal's scuttle away, nothing more. Though the body lamp shines normally at first, but some seconds after that it shines more strongly, without Aned doing anything. Though the light remains pleasant and not blinding.

Spoiler: Aned
    Show
    The body lamp after one round of activation doubles it's Illumination, casting bright light out of 120 feet and shadowy Illumination out of 240 feet.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

The armor is magical, I cannot discern anything else. The amulet seems like it's an amulet of Mighty fang, there is also some effect in place that let's you suppress your own smell, though it can be turned on and off....that might really be useful for Thaum. She wrinkles her nose at him. The ring is a simple ring of protection, I would be interested in that and the potions are magical, I can't discern anymore else.

Spoiler: Question about potions
    Show
    Most games allow you to determine an effect with a sip small enough to give you a feeling of what it is, without using up too much of the contents. If this is the case in this game, Zanthia will test both
    #GoreMutualarejerks

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

"Curious." Aned remarks, looking down at her down enhanced radiance. Perhaps Wisp was located higher up after all. She looks down at the others. "The way seems clear so far. I'll keep watch while you ascend."

The items lifted from the ghast were only of some interest to her. She already had a similar ring, and the amulet was nothing she could use. Whatever the armor was, it probably would not be of use to her, as it was hard to find good protection that still allowed her the mobility she required. Still, the potions might be handy, and she liked magical items on principle.
    With my dying breath

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

"Kindly do put the ring on. And the ghast seemed to prefer perfumed elf over human smelling of their own blood," Thaum dryly answers to Zanthia. Whatever doesn't get picked for immediate use gets stashed for the time being by Thaum, to be looked at more closely later. He awaits ascending through the cave.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

When the not-so-little spider fails to encounter a barrier, a creature or be blown up, its job is done. Coney waves and ear, and the spider vanishes.

She gathers with the others and prepares to follow the scouts, when she hears Zanthia's report on the magic items on the ghast.

"Hmm. I don't often bite, but when I do, it would be nice to actually have it hurt. If no one else wants that, er, amulet thing, I could try it out."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When Zanthia try's the potion with the smiling tomato on it, it tastes like a bloody mary. She grows a bit taller for a moment and then revert's back, it's most likely an Enlarge potion. The sirupy thing tastes very sweet, bordering the unbearable. Shortly after her muscles ripple and bulge but the increased strenght is short-lived, it's most likely a potion of Bears strength.

The ascend goes without problems. Larimar seems to climb almost as fast as he walks.

For the next bridge above the rope of ropes works too. It's roughly 60 feet above the current one. When Aned scouts ahead he sees a Chobin standing in the middle of the bridge. His arms are raised up in a gesture of surrender though one arm holds a bow, most likely fashioned from bone with inlaid crystals. A quiver full of arrows lies someways behind the creature. It wears clothing that resembles Larimar's though it appears rougher, like someone with less skill has fashioned it. It's fur is also less colorful and it's eyes appear to be somehow bigger. His clothing and itself seems to be singed.

When Aned hovers up it barks and squieks, perhaps spellcasting, perhaps talking in a strange language.

Show
    A bridge. Aned's Position there is more a suggestion than a hard rule, so feel free to adjust where you hover up. I guess you let Aned scout ahead and just when she gives a clear signal you begin the climb.

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    You could swear someone just talked in chobin. or a foxsquirrel just sneezed. whoever's talking has a heavy accent.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

Aned narrows her eyes. The chobin does seem to be surrendering, but she's been tricked once before. Landing on the bridge a safe distance away, Aned notches an arrow and points it at the unfortunate creature. "Set your weapon down and get on the ground." she commands, briefly indicating to the ground with the tip of her arrow. Hopefully, it will be enough to overcome any sort of language gap.

Show
    Intimidate (1d20)[9]
    With my dying breath

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Hearing what sounds like a Chobin yelling or something, Larimar tries to pick up the pace with his climbing, but might not get there in time...

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The chobin looks at Aned with it's big eyes and the confusion seems to be all over it's face. When Aned points to the ground with her arrow it seems to understand and in exaggerated motion it sets the bow down and pushes the weapon some distance to Aned with his feet.

The chobin opens it's rough clasp that held it's cape and in very broad motions took it of. The cape has taken on the look of the surrounding area but when it's neatly folded by the chobin it's revert's to a washed-out grey. Larimar with it's fast climbing speed manages to come up besides Aned when the chobin hurls the folded cape towards both of them, a bit farther then the bow was pushed. It looks at Larimar and says something in Chobin. Aned is not completely sure but it sounds like the same sounds he heard before.

Show
    Updated Bridge. The others arrive shorty after Larimar.

Show
    It's really hard to understand the words the chobin says. You're sure it's a female specimen though her appearance is definitely different then the chobin's you're normally seeing. Her language is also kinda hard to understand, in a way that you only understand every second word. She also seems to be very agitated when she speaks to you. short wordkilled short word eater

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar looks at the other Chobin rather confused. For a little while actually. It seemed he was clearly having trouble understanding it but eventually had to say something... He says something back, also somewhat like barking an yipping.

Spoiler: Chobins only!
    Show
    "The 'Eater'..? Friend, speak slowly and clearly, or I cannot help you."

Larimar speaks in Chobin as best he can follow his own instructions, but not so much to sound rude or mentally deficient.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The others arrive.

The other chobin seems confused that Larimar can't understand her fully. She closes her eyes for a moment and then takes a deep breath, trying to imitate Larimar's speech pattern after she openes her eyes again. At first she points at Larimar and the others and then seems to talk at lenght, finally pointing either to the bow or the cape she threw towards you, she bows down deeply and finally she's pointing at herself and produces a whining series of yips.

Show
    From the gestures she makes you can extrapolate some meaning. She also has a strange choosing of words (these are explained below)

You killed the Eater.* The Eater ate some short words of us. Tasty man* short word Lumrum* to short word The Eater. The Eater then stop eating. Thank you she bows deeply. Take short words while pointing at either the bow or the cape please. Don't eat Lumrum.

The Eater=You know the word as an Insult for some who just stuffs himself full without regards of etiquette or concern for others or his own health, sometimes also used for brigands and bandits. But she seems to use it almost as an honorary title.

Tasty man= You don't really have another explanation for that then Tasty man.

Lumrum= Most likely a name.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum pulls himself onto the bridge and helps the others up as well. Watching the exchange and how both sides react, Thaum understands none of the words, but he does see signs of having trouble communicating. He glances to Zanthia, with a slight nod towards the stranger chobin.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar nods briefly with vague understanding, but before taking another step forward, takes some time to look all around him in case this is yet some other trap.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    spot: (1d20+9)[26]

spot: (1d20+9)[17]

Think a 2nd attempt should be fine, seeing as the rules say you can try again with no penalty.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

"What are they trying to say?" Aned asks, looking towards Larimar. She keeps her bow and arrow at the ready, though she's no longer pointing it directly at the strange chobin. She eyes the grey cloak that's been tossed away. Perhaps this was the assailant who was shooting arrows at them earlier?
    With my dying breath

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The bridge is wet, like the one below you. You all can feel a very slight drizzle coming from above, that slowly permeates your clothing. The light from Aned and the statue is reflected many times by the inlaid crystals of the caverns and some of them reflect the light back in a cascade of colors. The roaring of water that you heard below may sound an idea louder than before.

The rain feels a bit strange. It's sometimes gives off a small sting. like the prick of a needle. Not really hurting but you can definitely feel that something may be off.

Show
    Spotting two times feels warranted in that situation. You can see some small animals that cling to the walls of the cavern, like some small salamanders whose color patterns serve as natural camouflage that you can just see because they're moving a little. You can neither see nor hear other big individuals besides your party and the other chobin. It seems that the other chobin has something in their left shoe. Most likely a small emergency dagger that is hard to draw.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Turning to Aned, Larimar cautiously says, "I think she is glad we killed that ghast. Maybe there's someone else involved, maybe she's talking about me or us, not sure.. She at least appears to be surrendering and offering those items. Please give her the benefit of the doubt."

Larimar slowly approaches the other Chobin on the bridge and squeaks something.

Spoiler: woof yip grr yelp ruff rrr?
    Show
    "Thank you. Move slowly and my friends shouldn't hurt you. You should hide somewhere."

He starts by picking up the cloak.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

She nods when Larimar picks up the cloak, should he move towards the bow.

Spoiler: irf arrr, Lumrum krmp? grr?
    Show
    Can Lumrum keep? Please?

Spoiler: Map update
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

A bit of comprehension flashes across Larimar's face as if he's understanding more, though the others at this point wouldn't see it, and might not know it, unless they could read a Chobin's face.

At least everyone sees him nod.

Spoiler: Chobin
    Show
    "You keep it to protect yourself. Be safe."

He activates his belt and slowly reaches out to touch the Chobin, which reduces some of the bad burns.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-01-16 at 05:05 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The other chobin slowly goes towards Larimar and picks up the bow.

Spoiler: Arp, yip Lumrum, arf
    Show
    Thanks for not eating, Lumrum, goodbye.

When she receives the healing she is pleasantly surprised and nuzzles Larimar for a moment before returning to her quiver, picking that up and then slinking into the shadows.

Spoiler: Chobin nuzzle
    Show
    I'm going out on a limb here and say that a short nuzzle (for most chobins, definitely for Larimar) has the same cultural implications as a hug for us and not a kiss. Yay for cultural diversity!

Show
    You can still do stuff on that postition I just guessed you will climb up anyway.

With your method of travel you can get up without any problems. Sometimes Aned may see a Ghoul or a fleshy looking pink blob but they all scatter away after seeing the light. On one bridge the entrance is closed off by a cave-in but with your method of travel you have no problem still getting up further. You all get the feeling that the cave-system goes up more than it should and that you should have already reached the summit, but there is still some ways to go. The roaring of water get's louder the farther you go up and at one bridge you can't get up with the rod of ropes and need to choose another way. By that point it's practically raining down on you and besides the bridge you have reached are two streams of water that are going down, that are further split up by more bridges.

The rain also really stings now. It's not enough to do damage but it's really distracting. When you use the cavern system to go up further then you emerge on a bridge where water is crashing down, above you there is a small white glimmer of light on the bridge is a strange snake with a human-like head that slithers before the waterfall and seems to want to get through, but it's not doing it. When you emerge from the entrance it stares at you and hisses. You could go further up with your method of travel though. You still feel some prickling from water that seem to come from the water of the waterfall.

Spoiler: Rina
    Show
    The smell of ozone got stronger and stronger the farther you go up, right here it's a bit nauseating.

Spoiler: General information
    Show
    This is a naga. A strange amalgamation of snake and human. They are rumored to be able to cast spells. If you want to know more roll Knowledge:Dungeoneering.

Spoiler: More map
    Show
    Waterfall As always positions are a suggestion.
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-01-16 at 05:59 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar says to the others, rather loudly to not literally get drown out by the water, "Don't mean to complain, but did people seriously make pilgrimages through this?? Something still seems off, though. Not sure what. Maybe whatever it is brought the sprite whisp here. You think the water got contaminated by some kind of curse, disease, or chemical like acid? You have any means to test?"

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

"Through the caves, not up, from what I heard!" Thaum answers, trying to be heard over the roaring waterfall. "None of those! Not acid, clothes and skin and eyes are fine, too fast for disease, too inconsistent for a curse! Probably something elemental, might be Jinn or Wisp!"

Seeing the naga, Thaum gets a bad feeling that this may once again escalate into violence for no reason, but he tries to communicate regardless. He puts his hands around his mouth, calling over.

"Can you understand us? We just want to get past that waterfall like you, nothing more!"

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

Though the stinging spray might be bothering everyone else, it seems to really be doing a number on Aned, as her race's natural desiccation works against her. She looks... excessively moisturized, her skin paler and slightly swollen, not to mention her clothing wet and matted. Her eyes are dull and she's occasionally wracked with coughing fits. "Acid or water, it's unpleasant all the same," she groans, looking towards the naga hazily. The waterfall she regards with no small amount of trepidation. "I'd like to be done here quickly."

Show
    Thanks to the asherati's Water Vulnerability, she's now at -1 to attacks, ability checks and skill checks.
    With my dying breath

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Zanthia approaches the snake slowly, once again displaying the statue, hoping she can keep this encounter peaceful

We are here on business of the high priest showing the statue as proof and we would just like to bypass the waterfall. Will you allow us

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20+24)[38]
    #GoreMutualarejerks