New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Secret of mana IC thread

Mart is in thought for a moment but seems a bit relaxed after Thaum's words.

"Yeah you're right I should be vigilant but not paranoid. I just think that it really could be that he is somehow enchanted, if not by a spell then perhaps by words. I mean he never claimed that he had a vision or something just that he somehow knows about this prophecy."

Four days after you seen the high priest the last time, all of you get word through a messenger that the high priest would like to met you in the evening.

You met him in the same room you seen him the last time, but the bed has been changed out and there are now several armchairs strewn about in the room. Ethan stands and talks to King Chanterelle who currently sits in a chair. The king seems to be okay (as far as you can tell) but still a bit strained, like someone who is currently recovering from a severe illness. Wisp is also there and silently floats about the room, but focuses on you as soon as you enter. Ethan looks fully recovered, almost bursting with vitality.

"Oh, hello. Thanks for coming here. I have some news for you, but I think they are not all good."

But before that I want to personally thank you, from what I heard you saved my life and should you be in my kingdom I will be happy to grant you hospitality there. He stands up and gives you a small bow before sitting into his chair again. I'm sorry I'm still a bit sore from the strain I was recently subjected too.

"First, Rina I have some news especially for you. I have sent someone to your home, to look into the problem. I don't know if she is able too solve it, but we have someone there now and that would give us more time. I think I know someone who may be able too help us further but you have to find him and prove yourself worthy too him. But Sage Joch knows way more than I do and if there is someone who knows what the Problem is about it's him. He was last seen in Laurent, but may have moved further."

"I try'd to find out more about the one who have placed the curse, but the only thing I got with my divinations is one name, the claw-birthed lady."

Spoiler: Rina
    Show
    If you want you can try to remember that name with an Int-check, but should you fumble there could, if you want, other memories that resurface.

To Coney
    Spoiler: Amulet of natural attacks?
    Show
    I'm asuming here that you wear this.
    "Oh Miss Masing. I didn't knew that you changed religions, it is an odd choice but to each their own I guess. Well I have looked into some cults and rumors, regarding Valsena, the problem is, the society is very magical and they are quite some cults. But there is one place you could go, regarding a cult of rabite-haters." Ethan has some problems with getting the last two words out, like he's really uncomfortable that these kinds of people exist. "There is the town of Rabiton inside the four-season forest, almost entirely build by rabite's and rumored to have some individuals who are even older than you miss Masing." Ethan gives Coney a short nod.

When Aned asks Wisp about Jerry, Ethan's eyes nearly bulge out of his head. "Jerry! That damn…" He catches himself, Wisp gives him a sad look but still talks to Aned.

WISP: Yes, he talked to me, he asked me if I know where Gnome was, because he wanted a pact with him. I told him that he probably doesn't have a good chance because he is neither female nor does he probably would not look really appealing to him.

Ethan breathes heavily and chimes in. "I met him ten years ago in Cascade Caverns. He say'd he wanted too help pilgrims getting through and I was happy too get someone too help secure the route. He led me too several traps and then try'd to kill me after. It wasn't really a magical duel, he teleported away all the time, appeared again and got me with a summon or a spell. Like a diabolical, dangerous chicken. Thankfully I held up and when I got him pinned down he still managed to get away with a strong teleportation spell. I was afraid for months to go back in and when he didn't appear I thought he was more afraid of me than I was of him. It seems I was very wrong."
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2020-03-20 at 03:00 AM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

"It is good to see that you are on your way to recovery, your highness," Thaum says to the king with a nod.

A curse on Rina is mentioned, and judging by her never having mentioned any of that and her acting timidly pretty much at all times, chances are she does not want to talk about it, so he does not ask any questions in front of everyone.

"The matter of the black rabite appears to be the most concerning matter at the moment, as well as one with a place one could start looking. I take it from how you are presenting this variety of news that you would like someone to investigate them?" Thaum would prefer if Ethan would simply ask the question instead.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney makes no effort to conceal her confusion, then concern, at Ethan's words. She lifts the amulet up with an ear to examine it more closely.

"Oh! Um, no. Not a religious...I mean, I'm pretty fluid in my...but Mana is still a patron of sorts...um...Velsana?"

Embarrassed, she tries to remember to whom this amulet might be consecrated. Crap!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Knowledge Religion on Velsana. My apologies. I know that you covered the great spirits in the application thread, but I'm a little fuzzy. (1d20+5)[23].
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

At the high priest's tirade against Jerry, she furrows her brow. "Ten years ago... then this is no recent thing. Whatever his plan is, it must run deep." she says. Wisp's mention of Gnome was also of concern. "Gnome. I wonder if he was truly interested in a pact, or if he had another reason for wanting to know his whereabouts."
    Last edited by Gryps2; 2020-03-28 at 01:11 AM.
    With my dying breath
    Hear my warning I have said:
    "Don't call up what cannot be brought down"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Curse
    Show
    I'm sorry for being a bit unclear but with the curse he referred to the condition King Chanterelle was in, not something that is or was inflicted on Rina. She is perfectly fine after all.

Ethan nods towards Thaum's question. "I would very much have someone I can trust investigating this further. My ressources are stretched thin at the moment and you six seem more than capable and after you recovered Wisp I'm sure I can trust you. I'm also of course able to pay you further. If you are interested I held a conversation with one of the Canòni brothers to help you in your travels. I know it's a bit rough but it's a surprisingly safe way too travel."

Ethan sees Coney's confusion and quickly elaborates further.
    Spoiler: Knowledge:Religion
    Show
    Even with your good roll you don't know what the amulet is about. (It's very niche.) It's not covered in the initial thread because I don't wanted too cover every possible interpretation of the spirits. Valsena on the other hand is a very magical country and small cults spring up and go down quite regularly. You definitely didn't hear about anything regarding the black rabite.

"The clean picked bones and the mouse-skull seem too be a... Well not necesarrily a consecrated symbol but at least a symbol of affection of the Eternal Devourer. A strange amalgamation of Shade and the Dryad that eats or negates everything that grows, that the world is not covered in growth. Some humanoid gluttons pay hommage too it but I think it's a bit of a hogwash and very far fetched." Ethan seems a bit relieved that Coney didn't seem to have known about this.

Ethan sighs at the mention of Jerry's possible plans. "I really don't know. With him I feel that everything is possible. Gnome normally resides near the dwarfs in Valsena but as with every great spirit his location changes."

King Chanterelle seems too follow the conversation pretty rigouros but his eyes does seem a bit heavy.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

"Do not tell me that you have no one to look into any of these matters," Thaum sighs, rubbing his forehead and temple. "Between the black rabite, Jerry, the matter of a criminal group seeking to kill non-humanoids, whatever troubles Rina, and whoever placed this curse on King Chanterelle, it sounds like you should be investing in a small army of agents, as this is a rather dire collection of problems."
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-03-25 at 03:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar bows slightly to King Chanterelle and says, with a toothy grin, "Your highness, it was but a trifle for the skill, ingenuity, and steadfastness of our little group. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to that hospitality should I ever find myself in your kingdom."

Addressing the High Priest next, he comments, "Hm, that makes sense. I ran into another Chobin in the caverns who I think referred to the ghast that wore that amulet as The Eater. Given its unsavory nature, and, well.. what I'm sure it does to things, it's no surprise it would worship such an Eternal Devourer."

Turning to the others, he says, "I have to admit, we've got some mounting situations on our hands. I do think going after Jerry would be more fruitless than a wild goose chase, however. We don't know what he's up to or where.. and even if we were to miraculously find him, it sounds like he could just teleport away. I think what I would like to do is check on that Rabite village. I'd hate for them all to be slaughtered by a bunch of hateful or misguided fools.. and especially if we did nothing to stop them."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

"The High Priest may be well-connected, but not necessarily with those necessary to investigate these problems." says Aned, looking towards Thaum. "Besides, they sound interesting to me. At very least, the Black Rabite seems connected to that group that influenced Mart. Investigating one may lead us closer to the other."

"Let us head to Rabiton first. Knowing that they lost Mart may make his allies more desperate." she continues. Reaching down, she pulls her newly separated map from her scroll case. "There is also the matter of this map that I managed to separate from the one you gave me. It seems to depict a network of caves and tunnels, but I am uncertain as to where exactly it is located. It makes mention of a Chobin village and 'Duran's Rest'."
    With my dying breath

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, investigating the black rabite seems to be on top of the list between it potentially driving a wedge between races everywhere as well as having a concrete lead, but these other issues should be investigated as well while we are looking into it."

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

I agree with dealing with the Dark Rabite. With all the problems facing the world, the last thing we need is the races of the world fighting each other instead of any external threat.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I would really enjoy if I had an army of capable individuals at my fingertips, but the people I have are mostly used too ensure that Wendel can keep it's independence and I'm at the mercy of capable individuals that fall into my hands in times of crisis. And praise the goddess it seems she has guided you here."

He quickly sketches a tree with his fingertips in the air.

"I myself will further look into the matters of Jerry and the curse that was placed on King Chanterelle. While you investigate in Rabiton I also will try to pinpoint the location of Sage Joch. I'm sure he will not like that, but he will survive I'm sure."

King Chanterelle smiles at Larimar and seems greatly amused.

A trufle you say? Hohoho, I'm looking forward too grant you hospitality you are my kind of person. Yes he misheard you on purpose. Ethan also can't totally fight back a little smile because of the terrible, terrible pun.

"The Eater? That does sound like someone that Jerry would align himself with, after all."

Regarding the map Ethan seems very surprised. "Duran's rest? Can I see?" He takes a quick look at the map and seems very puzzled. "That is strange... I think Duran was the name of one of the three heroes. And of course a lot of other children after that. But he should have been laid to rest in Valsena, as far as I know and not in some cave system." He takes a deep breath and continues. "I can't say from whom this map is exactly. But for the location I think it could be kinda deep in the cascade caverns. But I'm pretty sure I never was at this Duran's rest before. It is a rather big conglomeration of twist and turns after all."

"It seems you have come too a conclusion then. Can I help you in any way before you travel further or are you ready?"

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

"No, I think I am quite ready. The sooner we leave, the better."

13. - Top - End - #253
    Orc in the Playground

"Curious." remarks Aned, after Ethan's helpful explanation. "Traveling to Valsena would be worthwhile, then. Even if it is not Duran's true resting place, perhaps something important was left there."

At the high priest's urging, Aned takes a moment to consider, before turning to look at Thaum and Zanthia. "Are either of you capable of wielding the spell that allows one to speak with a known person across continents? In this matter, it would be useful to keep in contact with the High Priest, I feel. If not, we can obtain a scroll before we leave."
    With my dying breath

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum shakes his head. "My magic is rather limited. Having Jinn send my words is sadly beyond me."

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

My magic works to a much different purpose. Illusion and charms are my specialty.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney is quietly pleased that they're continuing their investigations in Rabiton. She felt that her preference was so clear that it woudn't even need to be spoken. Plus, there were times when it wasn't wise to give Naberius a stage - there's no telling when he'll step down again, or what he'll say while he has focus.

Since she's not able to use the music of distance communication, at least not the way that they have in mind, Coney instead thinks about how they would be getting to Rabiton.

Show
    I'm not clear about how long we'd need to travel to get there. Should we be booking passage on a ship, or arranging horses? Can Rabites even ride horses?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar fights back the urge to groan at the pun he didn't even make. Instead, as others smile he finds himself smiling as well. Then he gets an awful idea he'll probably regret later.

"A truffle? I could have spore I heard differently, your highness," he says, managing a deadpan expression for as long as possible before a dung-eating grin spreads across his face.

Turning to Ethan he says, "I have a feeling the puns will get very old very quick, so may as well get them out of the way now. Um, anyway, I don't think I've heard of this Rabiton before. Vaguely whereabouts is it?"

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

"I shall see if I can procure a scroll for such a purpose before we leave." says Aned in response. "Beyond that, I believe I am prepared for the journey."

Show
    Looks like the cheapest Scroll of Sending would be 700 gp, which puts my reserve down to 200 gp.
    With my dying breath

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: ooc/Int check
    Show

Thanks for the clarification about what the King meant by "Curse."

(1d20)[9] Int check

Rina is not a very good actress; her face blanches at the phrase "curse" even though surely the King is talking about his condition and not HER curse. She shudders a bit and while she politely bows to the ruler for his words, however" "He-he means the monster that was plaguing my homeland... It's such a curse... But it sounds like he sent an expert in these matters back home, which is more than I could have hoped... He means that." she says to the others as much as to herself, looking at her oversized boots.

When the subject of traveling to Rabiton comes up, she is more eager and nods her head, grateful for the change in subject.

"I... might have some money left over after buying a magical cloak... Or... should I just invest the money into the group itself?
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Rina
    Show
    You remember something about a Claw-birth that is used in the beastland when the mother sustains heavy injuries or even dies during childbirth. Nothing different comes to mind.

Both Ethan and King Chantelle look at Larimar and when he smiles both can't fight back a hearty laugh. Hohoho, you could be a royal entertainer my, my. Ethan still smiles and nods too the party. "I will do my best to be available, but it's possible you don't get through immediately. Just give it another try, another time. I trust you to make the necessary preparations. May the goddess guide you."

He sketches another tree before him, but this time more deliberate and slowly. It almost seems like there stands a small tree there, for the blink of an eye.

The way to the Canóni brothers local branch costs you half a day but even before that you can see a great cannon that seems to stand on a little pedestal. When you come, a little dwarf (dressed in the traditional chainmail of his folk with a mighty red beard) seems to note something down and three others seem to get the canon in the right direction. "A bit more too the left you tin-headed baffoons! The other left. Stop! That should be it."

He seems a bit surprised to see you, but catches himself. "Huh, six people. Nice, you ever traveled with us before?"

Spoiler: Canon travel
    Show
    It's not cheap and I leave that decision to you. All of you could have done that before.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Thats a mighty cannon, I would bet no one dares to attack this fortress.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

"Once indeed. Greetings to you. We would like passage to the Forest of Seasons," Thaum answers. People evidently didn't die when using this mode of travel, and it was quite the experience, all in all. Good thing he had means to get rid of the soreness afterwards.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney had rarely had the opportunity to soar through the air for more than a few seconds, under her own steam. This might be a welcome change from days of hopping.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Larimar looks up at the giant canon, quite daunted. "Um, hi. Yes, no, I haven't been in one of these before..."

After gazing up at the giant contraption and having lost track of time, he snaps out of it and looks back down to the dwarf. "So, uh.. how do we use this thing without dying?"

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

"I have traveled by cannon at least," responds Aned to the Canoni brother's inquiry. Her passion for adventure has led Aned across more than one continent, and cannon travel was the fastest way to get from one city to another. "Though I have not been shot out of this particular one." She looks over the artillery piece curiously. "It seems a splendid gun."

"It's a matter of precise powder loading and careful aim." says Aned to Larimar, before smiling reassuringly. "But it has not failed me yet."
    With my dying breath

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The dwarf looks at Zanthia and seems mighty pleased. "Oh some try lady, some try. Not that they stand a good chance." he strokes his beard and then looks a bit surprised. "Oh, the Forest of Seasons... Wait, you are six people. You must be the high-priests group then." He spins around to the other three dwarfs who seemed to get down for a break. "Up! Up with the damn thing! To the right side I say, the right!" There is another bustle of activity when the dwarfs try to get the cannon in the right position. "Stop! That should work."

He faces the group again and looks at Larimar with a slight grin. "Oh don't you worry, you will be as safe as grandmothers porcelain."

Spoiler: Dwarven, Jucklack as fer thraven sa Jucklacker
    Show
    Juggled by the talented but insane Juggler grandson.
    Says one of the dwarfs on the cannon, followed by laughter by the others.

"That's not part of our slogan." Says the other one darkly, the laughter dies as fast as it broke out.

He looks at Aned with a proud grin. "Oh, not a first-time traveler I see. Well I'll still explain a bit, that your companions are not left totally dark in the tunnels."

"You will go there in groups of three. We could fit more in, but then your trajectory get's all weird, it just won't work that well. You should get in this position." He curls himself into a ball to demonstrate. "The best would be to close your eyes, we have gotten rid of most of the vertigo problems, but it could be still pretty rough if you look around to much. I will cast our patented spell on the cannon that makes everything shot out of it invulnerable and nondamaging. I have to warn you we don't have a branch in the forest or in Rabiton that means if you want to go back you'd need to get through the forest to Valsena. We may as well get one there in time but I guess you don't want too wait some years."

He thinks for a moment and then says. "Oh we don't shoot that many people there, you will definitely land in the Forest but I can't really say exactly where. Would be good to hear back in some way when you land."

If you decide to get in the first three will be stuffed inside the cannon you hear just a slight "Fwup" instead of an earthshattering caboom and fly, fly through the sky's! You barely feel the wind on you and should you open your eyes, there is a lot of tumbling around. When you hit the ground it feels more like you lie down gently on the ground, then you hit the ground from several feet up high. It doesn't take that long till the others fall down too. You are strewn around and Rina is on top of a tree. Around you is snow and it is still slightly snowing and the cold is quite discomforting.

Spoiler: Coney
    Show
    You never were in this part of the forest and you can't really say what could be the right way.

Spoiler: Larimar, Aned
    Show
    The snow makes it hard to see but both of you can see some Needlion needles on the tree trunk next to Thaum.

Spoiler: Larimar
    Show
    Needlion's absolutely hate the cold. Either they are pretty hungry or have hunted someone out of their territory.

Spoiler: Thaum
    Show
    The snow makes it hard to see but you can see an often-walked upon trail that seems to lead westwards.

Spoiler: A wild map appeared.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR COTTON PICKING MIND? You expect me to climb into a cannon and get shot across the world? What sort of idiot deal is that?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Thaum picks himself out of the snow, shaking his head and having to get his slower-moving hair out of his face. Stretching, hopefully he won't be too sore the next day. "Well, at least there's snow to cushion the fall." He looks around, seeing the others strewn all over the place (and Rina in a tree). Finding Aned should probably be first priority. Better not risk having her react to snow the same way as water.

"Everyone alright?" he calls out to the others. Should Aned show signs of discomfort (or worse), he immediately applies a water breathing spell, followed by freeing her of snow (and melted snow) with his prestidigitation stone.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Coney does indeed climb into the cannon, and does indeed open her eyes throughout the flight. Although there is significant vertigo, there's also a tremendous sense of freedom, and a perspective on the world that she would never have gotten otherwise. With decades of travel, she had still barely made it over what is currently the horizon.

And then she's down, and slowly and carefully rolling over to an upright position.

"That was...extraordinary. Yes, I am unharmed."

She leaps straight up into the air a few times, attempting to look for landmarks in the deep forest and seeing none that she recognizes.

"I'm sorry. It's been nearly twenty years since I was last in this forest. Even if I have been here before, the trees would all be so different that I'd never recognize it again anyway."

She glances up at Rina.

"Ah, would you like an ear getting down?"

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

After reluctantly climbing into the canon with two others, Larimar is blasted off! He briefly opens his eyes and instantly regrets it, clenching them shut and having a sense of vertigo and dizziness with him the entire rest of the 'flight' to the Four Season Forest. After seemingly far too long, he lands, gently plopping into the snow, and still with a sense of dizziness about him.

After getting his bearings, he spots something. "Needlions have been here recently," he says, pointing at some quills on the tree next to Thaum. He walks up to them and examines them. Maybe there'd be a few good ones to take back and sell. "They wouldn't normally be here at this time, seeing as it's so cold... They hate the cold, after all..."

In his musings, he notices Rina up in a tree. "Ah, good idea, Rina! See if you can spot Rabiton from up there!" He sets to work seeing if he can track which way the Needlions went, or their possible quarry, if any.

Spoiler: survivals
    Show
    For Needlions: (1d20+5)[7]
    For whatever they may be after: (1d20+5)[7]

Also, OOC. Were we told which direction to go to get to Rabiton? I remember asking but didn't see an answer to that question. Or might it more be a matter of a geography roll?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-04-06 at 07:33 PM. Reason: instead of critisizing rina like senile fool, thought it would be better to compliment her 'initiative' :D