Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Sword of Heaven: The Paladin RPG (one shot, solo or more)

Unlike even the little kings of the Land, you have the power of death over life. Only you, by long tradition, may wield the two-handed sword and wear the plain white tabard of the Order. With or without your sword you have extraordinary powers.
    The Order keeps the law and keeps the ordinaries safe from the Others. Sometimes one of the Order - or even, unusually, one of the ordinaries - breaks the great law of peace, falls from grace, and becomes an Other, possessing a twisted and corrupting version of the powers held by the Order. Then it is your sacred duty to pursue and put them down.
    Players: At least one.
    Classes: Initially, paladins - kind of a wuxia fighter-mage hybrid.
    Rules: The Paladin RPG, a set of rules expressly designed for extraordinary characters making muddy moral choices.
    Setting: The Land, an isolated collection of little kingdoms and free cities where peaceable ordinaries keep the law and only the Order have the power to mete capital punishment or to make war on the Other.
    The Laws: Suffer no Other to live. Protect the ordinaries. Obey the kings of the land. Obey the head of the Order. Do not harm the ordinaries. The Great Law: Do not kill an ordinary.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-12-13 at 11:21 AM.
    On a pause from play by post.
    "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what youíre thinking now. Youíre thinking 'Oh my god, thatís treating other people with respect gone mad!'" - Neil Gaiman
    DTRPG and itch
    The Knife - Fusils, Swords, and Alchemy! Long reign the Queen!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Sword of Heaven: The Paladin RPG (one shot, solo or more)

I'm always up for trying out new systems.

3. - Top - End - #3

You're welcome to read the rules and build a Paladn. I'll try to answer any questions.
    "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what youíre thinking now. Youíre thinking 'Oh my god, thatís treating other people with respect gone mad!'" - Neil Gaiman
    DTRPG and itch

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Do I come up with my own attributes, or do I use the ones shown in the example?

5. - Top - End - #5

You come up with your own attributes by answering the questions in the example. Every character should have different attributes that drive their approach to life and conflict.
    DTRPG and itch

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

What kinds of races does the Land have? Just humans, or are there standard fantasy staples like dwarves and elves.

7. - Top - End - #7

Your character could be pretty much any type of creature, with any type of physical description, but there's no mechanical advantage to selecting something other than standard "human." Generally, your character's principal mode of combat will be their big two handed sword, so no fancy breath weapons or other insidious "natural" attacks.
    DTRPG and itch

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I'm having trouble coming up with social attributes. Light ones too, since what divides them from Flesh attributes isn't very clear.

9. - Top - End - #9

Just throw down some words in the boxes to see the general outline of an unexpected character, then assign some numbers to shade in the outline.
    DTRPG and itch

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Okay then, how about this?

Sir Varus

Flesh: Might 4 Fortitude 3 Reason 2
    Light: Courage 2 Insight 2 Wisdom 2
    Dark: Fury 2 Pride 0 Intimidation 1
    Abilities: Arms (greatsword), Tracking, and Survival

11. - Top - End - #11

That looks really good. I'll start an I.C. thread soon. Would you rather start out:
    • journeying across the high desert;
    • in a farming village amid forested foothills;
    • in a small mercantile town that has grown in the ruins of an ancient city;
    • in the court of a king?
    DTRPG and itch

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

I'll start out simple with the forest village.

13. - Top - End - #13

DTRPG and itch