Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default DM of this website, please help me with a (boring!) zombie quest

    So... There is a farmer asking you for help and he tells you that there are zombies or something vicious actually killing people and stuff around. You accept the quest and...turns out it's zombies.

    Now...

    1) How would you make an interesting quest out of a zombie "infestation" without making it cheesy? What are your suggestions?
    2) Would you be interested into having your idea actually turned into a quest for a mod for an old D&D game? If the answer is yes, could you also provide dialogues? You would do it for the glory, I guess :P

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2017

    Default Re: DM of this website, please help me with a (boring!) zombie quest

    There is many ways to make this interesting. The big question is what do YOU, as GM, want this quest to be about?

    Is it an introduction to the world? Is it about an easy enemy to defeat while using spooky undead? Is it an excuse to see a creepy dungeon? Shower gold and treasure upon your players' PCs?

    Elaborate on the vicious killings of 'people and stuff around'. Is it animalistic? Is it creepy (Kolchak: the Night Stalker had a zombii snap the backs of its victims)? Is there any rhyme or reason to the killing of people and stuff?

    Here is a simple twist: the Farmer killed some goats and uses a found dead hobo gored by wildlife to implicate the Necromancer farmer that moved next door. Afraid he will lose his land vs. a Necromancer who can supply such cheap labor, the farmer is trying to ruin the Necromancer's rep, maybe even get him killed by 'heroes'.

    Ta-dah! Expectations Subverted.

    But what is it YOU see interesting about a zombie adventure?

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Default Re: DM of this website, please help me with a (boring!) zombie quest

    Thank you!

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gridania, Eorzea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DM of this website, please help me with a (boring!) zombie quest

    For added suspense, use low visibility situations. Night-time, thick fog, catacombs, etc. Make the party hear the creatures long before they ever see them and throw in a red herring or two of small woodland critters to really amp up the tension.

    "You walk through the mist shrouded fields in search of answers, barely able to see 10 feet in front of you. The once average sized fields now an infinite plane stretching away from you in all directions. As you walk along, hoping your direction sense doesn't fail you in this never ending fog, you hear a rustling out in the crops.

    You pause to listen, the fog making it hard to tell if its behind you, or to the side, or in front. The only thing you can tell is that it's getting louder and closer. You ready your weapons and circle up, making sure you aren't surprised. Suddenly at the edge of your vision the plants to your right are shaking violent as something approaches. Gripping your weapons so tight your knuckles turn white and with the hairs on your neck standing on end in anticipation of what you're about to face, you ready yourself to face whatever is approaching.

    As the plants part, out hops an overly large rabbit, carrying a carrot in its teeth. It pauses in its journey to look at you, twitches its nose, and then continues on its way, back into the plants."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lord Torath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sharangar's Revenge
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DM of this website, please help me with a (boring!) zombie quest

    Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    You pause to listen, the fog making it hard to tell if its behind you, or to the side, or in front. The only thing you can tell is that it's getting louder and closer. You ready your weapons and circle up, making sure you aren't surprised. Suddenly at the edge of your vision the plants to your right are shaking violent as something approaches. Gripping your weapons so tight your knuckles turn white and with the hairs on your neck standing on end in anticipation of what you're about to face, you ready yourself to face whatever is approaching."
    Just be careful about telling your players what actions their PCs take. It's perfectly okay to tell them what they see and hear, but don't tell them what they do when there are meaningful consequences. For the bunny jumping out, that's very low stakes. But telling them they're drawing their weapons and circling up when the actual zombie/beast/zombie-beast jumps out should be avoided, especially when particular party members might have abilities that they'd likely use instead (flight, tremor-sense, etc.)
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gridania, Eorzea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DM of this website, please help me with a (boring!) zombie quest

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Just be careful about telling your players what actions their PCs take. It's perfectly okay to tell them what they see and hear, but don't tell them what they do when there are meaningful consequences. For the bunny jumping out, that's very low stakes. But telling them they're drawing their weapons and circling up when the actual zombie/beast/zombie-beast jumps out should be avoided, especially when particular party members might have abilities that they'd likely use instead (flight, tremor-sense, etc.)
    Fair points, been in a short story mode recently, so was just natural to narrate everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •