New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Musical Videogames?

Okay, just discovered the amazing Chorus, which you should all be supporting! But it's gotten me thinking, are there any other games that use out and out musical numbers like this? I know of Conker's Bad Fur Day of course, and I think Karmaflow did something similar... any other games that really put lyrical music to good use?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Musical Videogames?

Lyrical music, eh? I can’t speak to that, but Crypt of the Necrodancer is a super fun roguelike involving moving to the beat.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

I'm assuming games like Guitar Hero or Dance Dance Revolution don't count here?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Lyrical music, eh? I can’t speak to that, but Crypt of the Necrodancer is a super fun roguelike involving moving to the beat.
    I am biased against it by virtue of sucking at it ^^. Enough people love it that I'm fully aware it's just me, FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Hmm... That's a good point. They used to feel a lot more ubiquitous when I was younger but haven't been around for a while.

I was more angling at other genres that used songs within the game though, either as prominent inserts or part of the story. Silent Hill and Arkham Knight both are examples. Whereas in GTA or Saints Row, the songs on the radio aren't that prominent? (AFAIK, last game I played of this sort was SR2)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Well, there was the opera scene in Final Fantasy VI...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Well, there was the opera scene in Final Fantasy VI...
    ^^ old school!

Always meant to check it out. PC port on Steam... *hums*

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, do you count "do re me fa so la" as lyrics? Wandersong is a musical videogame. about a happy little bard trying to save the world through his voice alone. starts out silly and happy but has a surprising emotional range
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #8

Flumph

For musical games on the more singing end check out Transistor and Sayonara Wild Hearts.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

How has no one mention PaRappa the Rapper yet?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Well, Nippon Ichi's firstish foray stateside was branded a musical: Rhapsody.
    It's for PS1 and got a remake for the Nintendo DS (the version I played). It had at least five cut-scene songs with Japanese lyrics and translated subtitles, and you could probably find YouTube clips of them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    Okay, just discovered the amazing Chorus, which you should all be supporting! But it's gotten me thinking, are there any other games that use out and out musical numbers like this? I know of Conker's Bad Fur Day of course, and I think Karmaflow did something similar... any other games that really put lyrical music to good use?
    I'd personally say the persona series has some really nice music, but the games themselves aren't about that music, it just really helps setting the tone.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    Well, Nippon Ichi's firstish foray stateside was branded a musical: Rhapsody.
    It's for PS1 and got a remake for the Nintendo DS (the version I played). It had at least five cut-scene songs with Japanese lyrics and translated subtitles, and you could probably find YouTube clips of them.
    Rhapsody is a fun little game, but you owe it to yourself to play on PS1, and get the full force of the musical scenes.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Would Brütal Legend count? It's certaintly very musically inspired, but I don't remember them actually breaking into song.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    I'd personally say the persona series has some really nice music, but the games themselves aren't about that music, it just really helps setting the tone.
    For the main series, yes. But there are also the dancing/rhythm spin-off games that are about the music - Persona 4: Dancing All Night, Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight, and Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2019-10-14 at 05:35 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    How has no one mention PaRappa the Rapper yet?
    Um Jammer Lammy too.

Gitaroo Man is another classic.

The various Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan games and their Western version, Elite Beat Agents.

Beat Sabre might count, but it can cross genres into a dancing game depending on how you play.

For games with key musical motifs, there's Zelda Ocarina of Time where the songs you picked up were critical to game advancement.

Final Fantasy 10 kinda has one, with the Song of the Fayth being a constant motif throughout the whole game.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2019-10-14 at 06:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

What about Mega Man? Feature characters named:

Bass, Treble, Rock and/'n' Roll

17. - Top - End - #17
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Has no one mentioned Loom, yet? Where your primary interaction with the world (aside from walking around looking at things) is playing your musical staff?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd like to nominate Tadpole Treble, a really good game where you control a tadpole swimming through the musical score of the background music. The art is great, the music is great, the gameplay is (mostly) great and even the simple story is really brought to life by the score.

...Pirhana Plunge can fall in a hole though.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

19. - Top - End - #19

Patapon.

It's...well, it's really weird. It's a game where you regularly chant specific songs/rhythms to command an ever-pressing army into taking specific actions against an opposing force.

For example, you might want to use the Retreat chant in order to dodge an incoming fireball, or the Defend chant in order to execute a massive counter attack.

It has several games in the series, where the later ones get more and more RPG elements that focus more on an individual hero and their unique talents than developing an entire army. Still, probably the best musical game I've ever played.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Or the free version, good ol' Frets on Fire. Also known as "you'd better have a standalone keyboard, because that's your guitar".

There's also Rez/Child of Eden, which are in a "musical shooter" genre on their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The Kingdom Hearts series usually has at least one Disney song. KH2 has an entire world (Little Mermaid) where every part of it is done in song.
    Check out our Sugar Fuelled Gamers roleplaying Actual Play Podcasts. Over 300 hours of gaming audio, including Dungeons and Dragons, Savage Worlds, and Call of Cthulhu. We've raced an evil Phileas Fogg around the world, travelled in time, come face to face with Nyarlathotep, become kings, gotten shipwrecked, and, of course, saved the world!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

There's a lot of games with a scene or two that use music heavily. The most recent Prey has a great sequence in a lounge, and a lot of the Remedy games have music sections - Alan Wake and Control spring to mind.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing