Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Multiclass Advice

    Hello everyone!!
    This is the situation I`m in, and i would like to have more opinions on this:
    In a couple of weeks, I`m gonna continue a campaing where I play a Half-Elf (True Polimorphed into a fallen Aasimar) Fighter 14 (Champion).
    And i was thinking, after lvl 15, to make a couple of levels in Barbarian.

    My stats are:
    20 Str
    20 Dex
    20 Cons
    9 Int
    12 Wis
    12 Cha

    Also i have, Sentinel, Tough and Tavern Brawler feats.

    My questions are:
    1) Should I take 2 or 3 levels of Barbarian? I mean, The capstone ability for Champion is Survivor, which i think is good, but since in my party i have a life domain cleric that his focus is to heal the party, i dont think i will get to use survivor that much (For the half life requierement).
    Or it is too good, that it doenst matter and i should not loose it?

    2) If i take 3 levels in Barbarian, since I`m the only Melee character in the party (the cleric normally dont come into melee range that much), which Path should i choose? I was thinking of Ancestral Guardian, Totem Warrior (Bear) or Zealot. Or there is other path that would be better for me?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Zilen; 2019-12-03 at 10:28 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    GMT-5
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    Barbarian synergizes well.
    If you have a dedicated healer then 3-4 levels is what you want. Or become super durable when raging with taking 1/2 damage and regenning 10/turn.

    Barb 1: rage, unarmored defense (20 AC).
    Barb 2: reckless attack (synergy with improved critical), danger Sense
    Barb 3: I'd do Bear Totem or AG. Zealot's +1d6+1 once a turn is kinda small at such high levels.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    One thing to think about is, since your crit range will be 18-20 once you hit Fighter 15 thanks to Champion, using Reckless Attack will cause you to crit. A lot. So, anything that adds additional dice rolls is potentially doubled, so Zealot's bonus 1d6 is actually far better for you than most because there's a high likelihood of it being 2d6 each turn since you'll be presumably attacking with advantage three times and critting on an 18-20.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by CheddarChampion View Post
    Barbarian synergizes well.
    If you have a dedicated healer then 3-4 levels is what you want. Or become super durable when raging with taking 1/2 damage and regenning 10/turn.

    Barb 1: rage, unarmored defense (20 AC).
    Barb 2: reckless attack (synergy with improved critical), danger Sense
    Barb 3: I'd do Bear Totem or AG. Zealot's +1d6+1 once a turn is kinda small at such high levels.
    Thank you both!!
    First: I though the exact same thing as MilkmanDanimal about the 1d6, probably would be 2d6 of radiant/necrotic damage, which is great, but you are right about that normally the 1d6+1, is not really that much.
    Now watching dndbeyond, i discovered Path of the Wild Soul aaaand i asked to my dm if he would allow me that option.

    What do you think?? It's random basically (i dont mind, almost all options of Wild Surge are great).

    But yeah, surely i will go with 3 levels of barbarian :D Thanks!!

    Second: thats a really cool name CheddarChampion :P
    Last edited by Zilen; 2019-12-03 at 04:12 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    All Might's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2019

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    Hello there!

    It looks like you've made up your mind to take at least Barbarian 3 (solid choice), so, I'd like to add a little advice on top of what Milk and Cheddar have already said as to which path to take:

    First, though, a thing about general optimization for your build:

    [EDIT: Deleted Paragraph (Forgot that Reckless Attack only applies to STR rolls, and Elven Accuracy does not)]

    Now that that's out of the way, the main question for you is how much defense vs. offense should those Barbarian levels provide you, and what can we do to offset the fact that Reckless Attack gives all attack rolls against you advantage?

    If it were me, I'd say that additional defense would beat additional offense here, if for no other reason, then because the options for additional offense given by the various 3rd level class features isn't much to begin with, and some (one in particular) of the options provides a comparatively large boost in defense.

    Zealot's Divine Fury can only proc once per round, and is already outclassed by the optional once-per-turn damage you can already inflict on-hit as a Fallen Aasimar during your transformation.

    Ancestral Guardian doesn't give any direct offense bonus, but helps to shield your teammates from particularly damaging enemies at the cost of having it likely attack you (with advantage on every roll) instead. I don't really see the trade-off as worth it, but that's just me. And as I recall, Sentinel mimics some of the effects of AG to an extent.

    That brings us to your two better options: Totem and Wild Soul.

    Wild Soul is great for utility and unpredictability -- just remember that you can harm your allies unintentionally with some of those abilities (in fact, almost half of Wild Surge's effects can end up harming several allies at once).

    Which leaves us with Totem, and particularly Bear Totem. With all attack rolls having advantage against you, AC and other methods of damage reduction become incredibly important. Being able to beat those consistently higher attack rolls is going to be your number one defensive tactic, so that extra AC from Unarmoured Defense along with having a good shield (if you take one) will definitely help keep you from taking too much damage from several weaker sources if you get surrounded. But, when some of those attack rolls hit anyway (and they will), remember that many of them will hit because they've crit. Having resistance to all types of damage minus psychic is a massive defensive boost that adds another layer of protection underneath that AC; it'll reduce not only how much damage you take under normal circumstances, but will also help regulate how much additional pain those crits can inflict, making the damage you take a little more manageable and predictable for you and your healer.

    That's how I see it, anyway. You do seem really excited about how Wild Soul might play out, and if it sounds like the funner option, by all means do that! The main point is enjoyment. But, if your DM says no to Wild Soul, Bear Totem is a solid consolation prize!
    Last edited by All Might; 2019-12-03 at 11:31 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by All Might View Post
    Hello there!

    It looks like you've made up your mind to take at least Barbarian 3 (solid choice), so, I'd like to add a little advice on top of what Milk and Cheddar have already said as to which path to take:

    First, though, a thing about general optimization for your build:

    You'll be relying heavily on Reckless Attack, so one thing to note is that if your character ever runs across a method to turn back into a half-elf, you could grab the Elven Accuracy feat with level 16 Fighter if you wanted to become a crit monster. IIRC, the likelihood of hitting a crit is something like 38% for each advantaged strike for a level 15 Champion with EA. With 3 strikes per action, and the possibility of an Action Surge giving you 6 attempts in a round, that's a lot of damage. Just something to note.

    Now that that's out of the way, the main question for you is how much defense vs. offense should those Barbarian levels provide you, and what can we do to offset the fact that Reckless Attack gives all attack rolls against you advantage?

    If it were me, I'd say that additional defense would beat additional offense here, if for no other reason, then because the options for additional offense given by the various 3rd level class features isn't much to begin with, and some (one in particular) of the options provides a comparatively large boost in defense.

    Zealot's Divine Fury can only proc once per round, and is already outclassed by the optional once-per-turn damage you can already inflict on-hit as a Fallen Aasimar during your transformation.

    Ancestral Guardian doesn't give any direct offense bonus, but helps to shield your teammates from particularly damaging enemies at the cost of having it likely attack you (with advantage on every roll) instead. I don't really see the trade-off as worth it, but that's just me. And as I recall, Sentinel mimics some of the effects of AG to an extent.

    That brings us to your two better options: Totem and Wild Soul.

    Wild Soul is great for utility and unpredictability -- just remember that you can harm your allies unintentionally with some of those abilities (in fact, almost half of Wild Surge's effects can end up harming several allies at once).

    Which leaves us with Totem, and particularly Bear Totem. With all attack rolls having advantage against you, AC and other methods of damage reduction become incredibly important. Being able to beat those consistently higher attack rolls is going to be your number one defensive tactic, so that extra AC from Unarmoured Defense along with having a good shield (if you take one) will definitely help keep you from taking too much damage from several weaker sources if you get surrounded. But, when some of those attack rolls hit anyway (and they will), remember that many of them will hit because they've crit. Having resistance to all types of damage minus psychic is a massive defensive boost that adds another layer of protection underneath that AC; it'll reduce not only how much damage you take under normal circumstances, but will also help regulate how much additional pain those crits can inflict, making the damage you take a little more manageable and predictable for you and your healer.

    That's how I see it, anyway. You do seem really excited about how Wild Soul might play out, and if it sounds like the funner option, by all means do that! The main point is enjoyment. But, if your DM says no to Wild Soul, Bear Totem is a solid consolation prize!
    Hi there All Might!
    Ufff Thanks for this!!! Ill try to respond this:
    I was really sad when i discovered that EA does not work with STR weapons, but Ill use it for a Samurai/Hexblade build in the future (fighting spirit with it, its just too good for me :D )
    You are right!, i did forget about the fallen aasimar trasformation, its better in every case, so that eliminate Zealot.
    Im a sword and board fighter, because im the only other melee besides the "healer" and its a good idea if he is not the tank at ther same time :P luckily for me, i get a +1 shield, so we are talking a 23 AC for me with Unarmored Defense.
    With that being said, in this levels, there is normally magical damage in encounters, so resistence to all that kind of damage (except psychic) sounds like the most logical option.
    My DM told me that, when we do a sesion 0 for this, we would talk about Path of the Wild Spirit. So probably I should accept the fact that would not be allow.
    So Bear totem wins!
    Again, thank you this was even better that i could have expected! :D

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    I'm gonna be odd man out and say definitely take TWO Barbarian levels but stop there. What you're really after is rage, unarmored defense, and that sweet sweet RECKLESS ATTACK. No 3rd level Barb feature is worth giving up Survivor for, and I'd say that the 2 levels of Barb would be worth giving up the 4th attack capstone.(for a Champion)

    Survivor is great though. Regen 10 hp every round when you're hurt is super strong.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    All Might's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2019

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zilen View Post

    I was really sad when i discovered that EA does not work with STR weapons, but Ill use it for a Samurai/Hexblade build in the future (fighting spirit with it, its just too good for me :D )
    Oh wow, thank you for catching that! It completely slipped my mind that Elven Accuracy doesn't work on Strength-based rolls and that Reckless Attack works exclusively on Strength-based rolls. My fault, sorry! I've edited that bit out now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zilen View Post

    Again, thank you this was even better that i could have expected! :D
    Hey anytime, I'm glad to be of help :)

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    I'm gonna be odd man out and say definitely take TWO Barbarian levels but stop there. What you're really after is rage, unarmored defense, and that sweet sweet RECKLESS ATTACK. No 3rd level Barb feature is worth giving up Survivor for, and I'd say that the 2 levels of Barb would be worth giving up the 4th attack capstone.(for a Champion)

    Survivor is great though. Regen 10 hp every round when you're hurt is super strong.
    Hi there!
    Oh wow, i did not expect this.
    Could you expand on this a little more please?

    I mean, the idea of having almost all resistances thanks to bear totem (and the fact i would be able to rage 3 times instead of 2) sound like a good way to counter the advantage the enemies have againts me.

    This is my first character that get this far in a campaing, so i guess showing how new I am with this levels :P

    Thanks!

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by All Might View Post
    Oh wow, thank you for catching that! It completely slipped my mind that Elven Accuracy doesn't work on Strength-based rolls and that Reckless Attack works exclusively on Strength-based rolls. My fault, sorry! I've edited that bit out now.



    Hey anytime, I'm glad to be of help :)
    Dont worry about it!!
    Thanks!!!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zilen View Post
    Hello everyone!!
    This is the situation I`m in, and i would like to have more opinions on this:
    In a couple of weeks, I`m gonna continue a campaing where I play a Half-Elf (True Polimorphed into a fallen Aasimar) Fighter 14 (Champion).
    And i was thinking, after lvl 15, to make a couple of levels in Barbarian.

    My stats are:
    20 Str
    20 Dex
    20 Cons
    9 Int
    12 Wis
    12 Cha

    Also i have, Sentinel, Tough and Tavern Brawler feats.

    My questions are:
    1) Should I take 2 or 3 levels of Barbarian? I mean, The capstone ability for Champion is Survivor, which i think is good, but since in my party i have a life domain cleric that his focus is to heal the party, i dont think i will get to use survivor that much (For the half life requierement).
    Or it is too good, that it doenst matter and i should not loose it?

    2) If i take 3 levels in Barbarian, since I`m the only Melee character in the party (the cleric normally dont come into melee range that much), which Path should i choose? I was thinking of Ancestral Guardian, Totem Warrior (Bear) or Zealot. Or there is other path that would be better for me?

    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    I'm gonna be odd man out and say definitely take TWO Barbarian levels but stop there. What you're really after is rage, unarmored defense, and that sweet sweet RECKLESS ATTACK. No 3rd level Barb feature is worth giving up Survivor for, and I'd say that the 2 levels of Barb would be worth giving up the 4th attack capstone.(for a Champion)

    Survivor is great though. Regen 10 hp every round when you're hurt is super strong.
    So, a point about Reckless Attack and Elven Accuracy *for your build specifically*.
    Usually, I'd say "forget about Elven Accuracy if you go Barb, because STR is everything".

    One great thing, actually two, I note about your character.
    - You're not locked into a specific weapon (yet?).
    - You have BOTH DEX and STR maxed.

    So, in fact, you could simply use a finesse weapon and use Reckless Attack whenever you don't have advantage already, and Elven Accuracy otherwise.

    The thing is, though: you can completely go without Reckless Attack AND YET STILL benefit from Elven Accuracy.
    How? Very simply: opening your Extra Attack with a Shove (advantage thanks to rage, +5 mod) then using a finesse weapon.
    Tavern Brawler's grapple option is nice in essence but requires a hit with unarmed/improvised so lesser damage, and bonus action necessarily happens *after*.
    Dual-wield, without the feat, is not a *big* improvement, but it allows you an extra attack as a bonus action: with finesse weapon, you can either go for accuracy (tri-advantage) or close-to-normal damage (+2 rage bonus).

    In the same spirit, you could also simply pick Grappler feat, so you just need to connect a Grapple once to get advantage on all subsequent attacks until you or your prey dies.

    With that said, would you really need Elven Accuracy?
    As a Barbarian you already have consistent way to get advantage the majority of time. When you don't use a -5+10 feature like GWM/Sharpshooter, with maxed stats, you should hit reliably (around 90%) up to AC 18.

    So imo Barbarian is worth mainly for the damage reduction and advantage against DEX effects if you are usually using DEX based attacks and tactics. If you're using STR regularly, it's a great fit.
    Also, if you feel magic damage is common, Bear is definitely worth it whatever your style is.

    Another idea though: do you feel like you often have trouble to reach melee contact? Or that more often than not the "focal point of fighting" you're trying to create is not far enough from your backline to make them safe from enemies running straight at them? Or that sometimes, you get surrounded because of an error or particularly smart enemy and things get hairy? Or do you simply like very much all STR-related Shove/Carry/Grapple tactics?
    If any of those is true, Rogue 1 / 2 should definitely be on the table.
    Expertise in Athletics will make you immediately great at those, even without Barbarian pushed on top.
    Cunning Action can allow you to push the actual engagement point further from your casters, while also giving you a way to escape a surround while keeping your Extra Attack available.

    If you're foregoing the 4th attack from level 20 anyways, you might consider this.
    Rogue 1 / Barbarian 2, Rogue 2 / Barbarian 1 (still physical reduction), Bear Totem Barbarian 3 and even Rogue 3 (Thief to set traps around enemies to reduce speed or use healer's kit or a goodberry, Arcane Trickster for emergency Shield and bit boost in utility are both quite decent for you).

    If you don't care about level 17 feature from Fighter though, a goal of Rogue 2 / Bear 3 seems like the perfect balance though.
    Last edited by HiveStriker; 2019-12-05 at 08:32 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by HiveStriker View Post
    So, a point about Reckless Attack and Elven Accuracy *for your build specifically*.
    Usually, I'd say "forget about Elven Accuracy if you go Barb, because STR is everything".

    One great thing, actually two, I note about your character.
    - You're not locked into a specific weapon (yet?).
    - You have BOTH DEX and STR maxed.

    So, in fact, you could simply use a finesse weapon and use Reckless Attack whenever you don't have advantage already, and Elven Accuracy otherwise.

    The thing is, though: you can completely go without Reckless Attack AND YET STILL benefit from Elven Accuracy.
    How? Very simply: opening your Extra Attack with a Shove (advantage thanks to rage, +5 mod) then using a finesse weapon.
    Tavern Brawler's grapple option is nice in essence but requires a hit with unarmed/improvised so lesser damage, and bonus action necessarily happens *after*.
    Dual-wield, without the feat, is not a *big* improvement, but it allows you an extra attack as a bonus action: with finesse weapon, you can either go for accuracy (tri-advantage) or close-to-normal damage (+2 rage bonus).

    In the same spirit, you could also simply pick Grappler feat, so you just need to connect a Grapple once to get advantage on all subsequent attacks until you or your prey dies.

    With that said, would you really need Elven Accuracy?
    As a Barbarian you already have consistent way to get advantage the majority of time. When you don't use a -5+10 feature like GWM/Sharpshooter, with maxed stats, you should hit reliably (around 90%) up to AC 18.

    So imo Barbarian is worth mainly for the damage reduction and advantage against DEX effects if you are usually using DEX based attacks and tactics. If you're using STR regularly, it's a great fit.
    Also, if you feel magic damage is common, Bear is definitely worth it whatever your style is.

    Another idea though: do you feel like you often have trouble to reach melee contact? Or that more often than not the "focal point of fighting" you're trying to create is not far enough from your backline to make them safe from enemies running straight at them? Or that sometimes, you get surrounded because of an error or particularly smart enemy and things get hairy? Or do you simply like very much all STR-related Shove/Carry/Grapple tactics?
    If any of those is true, Rogue 1 / 2 should definitely be on the table.
    Expertise in Athletics will make you immediately great at those, even without Barbarian pushed on top.
    Cunning Action can allow you to push the actual engagement point further from your casters, while also giving you a way to escape a surround while keeping your Extra Attack available.

    If you're foregoing the 4th attack from level 20 anyways, you might consider this.
    Rogue 1 / Barbarian 2, Rogue 2 / Barbarian 1 (still physical reduction), Bear Totem Barbarian 3 and even Rogue 3 (Thief to set traps around enemies to reduce speed or use healer's kit or a goodberry, Arcane Trickster for emergency Shield and bit boost in utility are both quite decent for you).

    If you don't care about level 17 feature from Fighter though, a goal of Rogue 2 / Bear 3 seems like the perfect balance though.
    Hi there!
    Wow thanks for this!!
    Let me give you more details:

    First: Im kinda lock in longswords (you see for backstory i make my character in a search of two legendary swords, this is because when i make this character i was gonna go full dual wielder, then with a couple of levels i realize that fighter and two weapon fighting don't get along THAT well (yeap, noob error). Then i died and my party make a special quest go resurrect me, then my DM allow me to switch stats, so i went full DEX and make myself a sword and board fighter. Of course then when i get my first legendary sword... it was a longsword so... back to STR).
    Thats why i wanted to go barbarian, since Unarmored Defense would be amaizing with DEX and CON maxed, and at the same time i can go full STR.

    Second: I dont think Im gonna be a Half-Elf again, unless a wish o Dispell Magic (of lvl 9) happen, so i might get to the idea of no EA. (A shame :( )
    Now i didnt though about the idea of 1 or 2 levels of Rogue, Cunning Action would be great for me, but i would be losing the Sneak Attack so probably it would be a better idea to not doing it (but the expersite is something to consider! )

    I was thinking to pick the new fighting style Superior Technique from the UA, and pick Trip Attack, so i wouldn't need to lose damage in the attempt to put prone an enemy.
    Of course, thanks to champion lvl 10 ability, i get to pick another fighting style so Im gonna pick Dueling.
    And again thanks to UA with the new Martial Versatility, when i get my second legendary longsword i would switch Dueling for Two-Weapon Fighting.

    Something to mention, the legendary sword i have now is homebrew, basically when i get to hit an enemy, i add 2d6 radiant damage to the total amount of damage AND if it is a crit, i add 5D6 radiant damage, thats why i wanted Reckless Attack. I really want to increase my chances of getting a critical hit!

    Sorry for not mention this before!

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2019

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zilen View Post
    Hi there!
    Wow thanks for this!!
    Let me give you more details:

    First: Im kinda lock in longswords (you see for backstory i make my character in a search of two legendary swords, this is because when i make this character i was gonna go full dual wielder, then with a couple of levels i realize that fighter and two weapon fighting don't get along THAT well (yeap, noob error). Then i died and my party make a special quest go resurrect me, then my DM allow me to switch stats, so i went full DEX and make myself a sword and board fighter. Of course then when i get my first legendary sword... it was a longsword so... back to STR).
    Thats why i wanted to go barbarian, since Unarmored Defense would be amaizing with DEX and CON maxed, and at the same time i can go full STR.

    Second: I dont think Im gonna be a Half-Elf again, unless a wish o Dispell Magic (of lvl 9) happen, so i might get to the idea of no EA. (A shame :( )
    Now i didnt though about the idea of 1 or 2 levels of Rogue, Cunning Action would be great for me, but i would be losing the Sneak Attack so probably it would be a better idea to not doing it (but the expersite is something to consider! )

    I was thinking to pick the new fighting style Superior Technique from the UA, and pick Trip Attack, so i wouldn't need to lose damage in the attempt to put prone an enemy.
    Of course, thanks to champion lvl 10 ability, i get to pick another fighting style so Im gonna pick Dueling.
    And again thanks to UA with the new Martial Versatility, when i get my second legendary longsword i would switch Dueling for Two-Weapon Fighting.

    Something to mention, the legendary sword i have now is homebrew, basically when i get to hit an enemy, i add 2d6 radiant damage to the total amount of damage AND if it is a crit, i add 5D6 radiant damage, thats why i wanted Reckless Attack. I really want to increase my chances of getting a critical hit!

    Sorry for not mention this before!
    Bolded part: yeah, they do, this was not a noob error at all. :) It's much more interesting on a STR character than on a DEX character.
    Now, if you do go dual-wield to stand immobile in melee, then yeah, you're not necessarily playing it the most efficient way. But as long as you don't die and have fun, who cares really... ^^

    Sneak Attack: requires either a ranged weapon OR a *finesse* weapon. So you can perfectly make a STR attack and get it.
    However your longsword is not finesse, just versatile. Well, that's where Dual Wielder would suit you well. XD

    With that said... 1d6 is, like, we so much don't care... At your level it won't make a difference in how fast you kill an enemy solo, and probably even as a team.
    That's why I was stressing Expertise and Cunning Action. Those are the two real things that may seem valuable enough, or not, for your character. :)

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    What are your two fighting styles now? Dueling and ???

    I would stick with being a Fallen Aasimar! Such an awesome race

    I still say go Fighter 18/Barb 2, but if you really want the Bear Totem's damage resistances that would be ok too.

    What feat were you thinking for Fighter 16? I have an idea that you probably haven't thought about. I think taking the Great Weapon Master feat would be a good idea for you as a Champion even if you're not going to use a heavy 2 handed weapon. It's true that you would not be able to use the -5/+10 part of the feat, but you CAN and WILL be able to use the other part of the feat, and often.

    "On your turn, when you score a critical hit with a melee weapon or reduce a creature to 0 hit points with one, you can make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action."

    This basically allows you to benefit from all those crits that you'll be getting.
    Last edited by CTurbo; 2019-12-06 at 04:21 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by HiveStriker View Post
    Bolded part: yeah, they do, this was not a noob error at all. :) It's much more interesting on a STR character than on a DEX character.
    Now, if you do go dual-wield to stand immobile in melee, then yeah, you're not necessarily playing it the most efficient way. But as long as you don't die and have fun, who cares really... ^^

    Sneak Attack: requires either a ranged weapon OR a *finesse* weapon. So you can perfectly make a STR attack and get it.
    However your longsword is not finesse, just versatile. Well, that's where Dual Wielder would suit you well. XD

    With that said... 1d6 is, like, we so much don't care... At your level it won't make a difference in how fast you kill an enemy solo, and probably even as a team.
    That's why I was stressing Expertise and Cunning Action. Those are the two real things that may seem valuable enough, or not, for your character. :)
    Of course! I do love Dual Wield (frost dk made me love it), so yeah, Im not gonna be efficient XD jajaja
    Mmm i see your point!
    Not sure if with the amount of levels I have left I would do it, but Ill think about it. The utility it brings is pretty good!





    Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    What are your two fighting styles now? Dueling and ???

    I would stick with being a Fallen Aasimar! Such an awesome race

    I still say go Fighter 18/Barb 2, but if you really want the Bear Totem's damage resistances that would be ok too.

    What feat were you thinking for Fighter 16? I have an idea that you probably haven't thought about. I think taking the Great Weapon Master feat would be a good idea for you as a Champion even if you're not going to use a heavy 2 handed weapon. It's true that you would not be able to use the -5/+10 part of the feat, but you CAN and WILL be able to use the other part of the feat, and often.

    "On your turn, when you score a critical hit with a melee weapon or reduce a creature to 0 hit points with one, you can make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action."

    This basically allows you to benefit from all those crits that you'll be getting.
    Right now my fighting styles are Defense and Dueling. In lvl 15 thanks to Martial Versatility Ill switch Defense for Superior Technique, so in lvl 16 when I pick Unarmored Defense from Barbarian I dont lose one fighting style.

    Ill try to not go back to Half-Elf for the moment, (Roleplay problems that need to get fixed). But when the time is right, Ill try jejeje

    For lvl 16 fighter, i was thinking of Alert actually, but right now i have +8 initiative, so meaby is not that great for me.
    O.O okey you are right, i didnt thought that!.
    Mmmm the problem here is that when i get the second legendary sword, Im gonna be using both with two-weapon fighting so, it would be wasted :(
    And now that I think of it, Im trap here, I have to pick Dual Wielder, otherwise I cant use a longsword with another weapon in two-weapon fighting.... oh well my bad jajajaja

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Zilen View Post
    Of course! I do love Dual Wield (frost dk made me love it), so yeah, Im not gonna be efficient XD jajaja
    Mmm i see your point!
    Not sure if with the amount of levels I have left I would do it, but Ill think about it. The utility it brings is pretty good!







    Right now my fighting styles are Defense and Dueling. In lvl 15 thanks to Martial Versatility Ill switch Defense for Superior Technique, so in lvl 16 when I pick Unarmored Defense from Barbarian I dont lose one fighting style.

    Ill try to not go back to Half-Elf for the moment, (Roleplay problems that need to get fixed). But when the time is right, Ill try jejeje

    For lvl 16 fighter, i was thinking of Alert actually, but right now i have +8 initiative, so meaby is not that great for me.
    O.O okey you are right, i didnt thought that!.
    Mmmm the problem here is that when i get the second legendary sword, Im gonna be using both with two-weapon fighting so, it would be wasted :(
    And now that I think of it, Im trap here, I have to pick Dual Wielder, otherwise I cant use a longsword with another weapon in two-weapon fighting.... oh well my bad jajajaja

    Oh yeah if you want to use two Longswords, I would definitely take Dual Wielder at Fighter 16 and switch from the Defense Style to the Two Weapon Style

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    You're in the big tier soon. Half damage from a dragon's breath is huge.

    At higher levels is where bear totems resistance is a huge boon.

    The big question is a feat worth more than 2 action surges a short rest.

    Do you take 3 levels barbarian or 4?

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    Oh yeah if you want to use two Longswords, I would definitely take Dual Wielder at Fighter 16 and switch from the Defense Style to the Two Weapon Style
    Yeap! That is the plan when i get lvl 16 of fighter!!




    Quote Originally Posted by djreynolds View Post
    You're in the big tier soon. Half damage from a dragon's breath is huge.

    At higher levels is where bear totems resistance is a huge boon.

    The big question is a feat worth more than 2 action surges a short rest.

    Do you take 3 levels barbarian or 4?
    Exactly, Ihave problems with fireballs in the past and well... i would appreciate if they dont kill me :P

    Mmm i would say no. Action Surge its just sooo good, and indomitable X3 is perfect.
    So the idea would be 3 levels of barbarian at most, now the thing is if 3 levels or 2 levels of barbarian. Some say here that Survivor (lvl 18 champion) is better than bear totem lvl 3. And to be fair, I dont know which to pick. Im more inclined towards totem bear but survivor is basically a potion of healing every turn. The key here is that in my party i have a life domain cleric that focuses on healing so i normally dont get to half or less my hp.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    I think the damage reduction from rage, for you 2 rages, is huge.

    It's all damage but psychic.

    For me your big deficit is the same for all fighters... wisdom saves. Resilient wisdom coupled with indomitable is nice.

    A dragon who hits you with frightful presence... takes you out of rage most likely unless you have mooks to fight... then breathes his flame.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: Multiclass Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by djreynolds View Post
    I think the damage reduction from rage, for you 2 rages, is huge.

    It's all damage but psychic.

    For me your big deficit is the same for all fighters... wisdom saves. Resilient wisdom coupled with indomitable is nice.

    A dragon who hits you with frightful presence... takes you out of rage most likely unless you have mooks to fight... then breathes his flame.
    Mmmm you are right on that, and Im not sure if i have ASIs left for Resilient...
    Im gonna have to think how im gonna fix that or not, i suppouse that having a weakness is part of the game jejeje
    But seriously, thank you for pointing that out!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •