New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default What's your favorite headcanon? 2: Page 51 is clearly a metaphor for death

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Every series only has a finite amount of space/time to tell their story, so there are always aspects for the fans to wonder about. They will often try to piece together the disparate bits of data into a workable theory that make the series make more sense, but are conjecture nonetheless.

Headcanon.

What's your favorite piece of feasible conjecture to a series?
    Previous thread, where we all made the various "cannon/canon" jokes.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon? 2: Page 51 is clearly a metaphor for death

I'm sure we can find a few mor(tar).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon? 2: Page 51 is clearly a metaphor for death

I always admired KI's Fulgore's headcannon. Too bad he only brought it out as a finishing move. I presumed it was an ammunition limitation, but I have nothing to support the notion.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

The writers for Frozen 2 read the fanfiction A Bluer Shade of White

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I'm sure we can find a few mor(tar).
    I'm not gonna rifle through those avoid repeats though.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6

A simple one:

Star Wars is a universe of limited matter but near-infinite energy... so ships can go pretty much forever, but you have to bring things from place to place.

Star Trek is a universe of limited energy but nearly-infinitely-creatable matter... so you need to get dilithium crystals to power things, but you can make most things with a replicator.

Also:

Star Wars blasters shoot a magnetic bottle filled with plasma. Lightsabers are similar, but the bottle is static.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    A simple one:

Star Wars is a universe of limited matter but near-infinite energy... so ships can go pretty much forever, but you have to bring things from place to place.
    The problem there is they have fuel come up a lot. Even the first movie shows the ships being fueled up, Solo was entirely about fuel, they have fuel depots and fuel missions in The Clone Wars, Rebels, and Resistance, and The Mandalorian's titular Mandalorian complains the bounty prices hardly cover fuel.
    Also:

Star Wars blasters shoot a magnetic bottle filled with plasma. Lightsabers are similar, but the bottle is static.
    That's actual canon, though, IIRC.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Props to digiman619 for making a thread that lasted 50 pages. That's hard to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'm not gonna rifle through those avoid repeats though.
    It would be interesting to see how many of them we could Parrott though.

10. - Top - End - #10

With mobile canon, everything becomes fodder.

I humbly submit that the Mr. T portrayed by Mr. T in the Mister T cartoon show is actually a reformed Clubber Lang.

11. - Top - End - #11

The problem there is they have fuel come up a lot. Even the first movie shows the ships being fueled up, Solo was entirely about fuel, they have fuel depots and fuel missions in The Clone Wars, Rebels, and Resistance, and The Mandalorian's titular Mandalorian complains the bounty prices hardly cover fuel.
    The first one shows them with hoses attached, not necessarily fueling... and this headcanon is a bit older than The Clone Wars.
    The Cranky Gamer

12. - Top - End - #12

The first one shows them with hoses attached, not necessarily fueling... and this headcanon is a bit older than The Clone Wars.
    True, there's no indication it's actually fuel... But an X-Wing is basically the fly parts, the zoomy parts, and the shooty parts, so there's not a lot of options as to what the fluids they pimped in could really do.

Point taken on the age of the headcanon though.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

True, there's no indication it's actually fuel... But an X-Wing is basically the fly parts, the zoomy parts, and the shooty parts, so there's not a lot of options as to what the fluids they pimped in could really do.
    Air supply?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

there's not a lot of options as to what the fluids they pimped in could really do.
    What if they were pumping certain fluids out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Some of the best fanfiction writers are actually the original authors having fun creating alternate takes on their characters. (not my best work, I just wanted to tag the thread lol)
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Rey has the same telemetry aptitude that the protagonist of fallen order has, which is why she's such a good scavenger and why touching things seems to trigger visions for her.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Rey has the same telemetry aptitude that the protagonist of fallen order has, which is why she's such a good scavenger and why touching things seems to trigger visions for her.
    Ooo, I like that one. I also really liked that as a new power in general. And I'm glad they're going back to the "some people have very specific/unique powers that are rare among the Jedi".

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

In Arrowverse Christopher Reeve Superman is not Brandon Routh Kingdom Come Superman.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Inspired by the current topic of the current Vegeta Alignment thread:

Mr Hercule Satan is a human mutant with downright superhuman abilities, in the same way that Freeza was a vastly stronger mutant of his species. Unfortunately for Mr S. his mutant powers are a lot more underwhelming than Freeza's.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

20. - Top - End - #20

Droids are mind-wiped in Star Wars because they cannot repress or forget things; erasing their memory is a work-around to keep them from going mad.
    The Cranky Gamer

21. - Top - End - #21

Droids are mind-wiped in Star Wars because they cannot repress or forget things; erasing their memory is a work-around to keep them from going mad.
    This is evidenced by R2, who was explicitly not memory-wiped like C-3PO, treating Yoda like a crazed frogman on Dagobah despite knowing very well who he was.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

This is evidenced by R2, who was explicitly not memory-wiped like C-3PO, treating Yoda like a crazed frogman on Dagobah despite knowing very well who he was.
    But Yoda is a crazed frogman!
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    But Yoda is a crazed frogman!
    A crazed frogman stranger, then!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

A crazed frogman stranger, then!
    Seriously, my reading is that R2 recognized what Yoda was doing and decided to play along.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-12-14 at 06:36 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Seriously, my reading is that R2 recognized what Yoda was doing and decided to play along.
    But decided not to play along with Kenobi (who really should have recognized Anakin and Padme's droids, as notable as they were in the cartoons)?

26. - Top - End - #26

Why would he recognize them? They're standard models manufactured in billion-unit lots.

27. - Top - End - #27

Why would he recognize them? They're standard models manufactured in billion-unit lots.
    And yet he was able to recognize him and C-3PO constantly throughout TCW, even in places where he would have no reason to recognize the droids apart from any other standard model. Given that, we absolutely should expect Kenobi to recognize them, especially when they show up as a pair, with the son of the longtime owner of R2 and the original builder of 3PO, in the middle of a desert where no astromech and protocol droid have any business being, specifically looking for Kenobi.

"They were standard models" doesn't cut it.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-14 at 08:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Look, if you want to give bonus credit to Kenobi for the writers having no imagination in TCW, you then have to explain his complete idiocy in the films. I prefer to keep the films higher and largely ignore the rest due to all the inconsistencies.

29. - Top - End - #29

Look, if you want to give bonus credit to Kenobi for the writers having no imagination in TCW, you then have to explain his complete idiocy in the films. I prefer to keep the films higher and largely ignore the rest due to all the inconsistencies.
    I have no problem with that, but it just swings us back around to "why didn't R2 recognize Yoda" or "if he played along why did he not play along with Kenobi?" Both of those are valid, film-only centered questions.

30. - Top - End - #30

That's easy. R2 is an A$$. Look at how much of his dialogue had to be bleeped out.