New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 35 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Question Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Figured I'd make a thread where people can speculate who this might be, as mentioned in the preview for Book 7:

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew (Book 6 commentary)
    What, you still want a hint of something specific yet to come? Something you're not expecting? OK, how about this: Someone who has appeared in exactly one (1) page of the story so far (including all the prequel stories) will become an important ally in the first half of the next book. Good luck figuring that one out
    So far I'm thinking either the orange voice from #1189 or Shoulderpad Guy (whose only other appearance was a minor cameo in Haleo & Julelan). Or maybe it's whoever was casting the green scrying eye from strip #698.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Ms. Toormuck only appeared in Shojo's tale.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Orange Voice seems like the most obvious prospect.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Ms. Toormuck only appeared in Shojo's tale.
    Not quite - Serini was in multiple pages in Shojo's story, and she was also seen (with the rest of the Order of the Scribble) in the crayon section of Start of Darkness.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Is it too early to suggest Japan?

6. - Top - End - #6

Aunt Ivy has only one page, I don't think its her but I'm throwing her out as a possibility
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BaronOfHell View Post
    Is it too early to suggest Japan?
    Who is Japan?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

My vote is Serini, though she has appeared in 7 pages as per the appearance thread... she has 1 as a drawing and the rest as crayon flashbacks. All of that said, the total list of available people seems really short.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    My vote is Serini, though she has appeared in 7 pages
    Your vote is that the Giant lied?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The wording on the Giant's statement is interesting. It could mean this character's never appeared in any of the prequel stories. It could also mean that they've exclusively appeared in one of the prequel stories. Probably the former, since Start of Darkness and the like aren't intended to be mandatory reading to follow the plot of the comic, but still, interesting.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Shoulderpad Guy, assuming we mean the one from the Vector Legion, is in fact in at least two pages- one in a flashback to Tarquin talking to the Vector Legion and pitching his plan to them, and one in a cutaway to him and Miron advising the Weeping King.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

What are Elan's thrice-repeated syllable that could be said about the Unknown Energy that felled the paladins? Has it anything to do with this?

13. - Top - End - #13

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Turin_19 View Post
    What are Elan's thrice-repeated syllable that could be said about the Unknown Energy that felled the paladins? Has it anything to do with this?
    Dun dun dun!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Hahaha yeah. Thanks. Yeah. Oooh. That’s slow of me!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    Shoulderpad Guy, assuming we mean the one from the Vector Legion, is in fact in at least two pages- one in a flashback to Tarquin talking to the Vector Legion and pitching his plan to them, and one in a cutaway to him and Miron advising the Weeping King.
    Those are from the same page, actually, and the one Gift Jeraff linked to, to be specific.

16. - Top - End - #16

I don’t think Shoulderpad guy counts if he was in H&J as Gift says.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

17. - Top - End - #17

Obviously we shall see the true wrath of Xyklon the Consequential!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Your vote is that the Giant lied?
    More that he didn't clarify what appearance meant. So, is he counting any kind of visual representation, like we do for the thread; or is it specifically an appearance on camera. So do in character drawings count? Do flash backs? ( my thought is yes on the flashbacks, though maybe crayon drawings dont?)

We know he likes to be tricksy and clever, so I'm going with there is some form of trickery afoot.

On a more serious thought, how many pages did the gnome artificer lady appear on... She might be helpful, if singularly unable to get there.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Elan's signature "Dun dun dun".

Anyway, for whatever reason, my first instinct was The King of Nowhere. Obviously, that makes no sense, because he's nowhere (heh) near that far north.

If we want wacky and zany guesses, the Grimm Reaper has appeared in a single gag panel and never in any of the prequels. He might have something to do with Belkar.

But since Serini Toormuck, the obvious choice, appears in more than one page, the only thing that would make sense to me is an Eastern God. A lot of them are only on one page. Apollo, Artemis, etc. It's possible that one of them actually escaped the Snarl, maybe inside the Starmetal or something, since it's associated with Green and Roy's sword. But that's still pretty crack pot for my tastes

20. - Top - End - #20

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well, maybe one somehow ended up in the world in the rifts

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Okay, two semi serious considerations. Both are currently dead, but could maybe get involved somehow.

Orrin Draketooth and Mia Starshine, Haleys Mom. I think most, but not all of the eastern gods might be a consideration as well.

I'm still banking on Serini, personally. And Redcloaks niece has had too many pages for sure, but could still come into play before the end of the story.

Is it weird that The Justice League is likely to be the strongest contenders for a while?
    Now, Back to Lurking!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm pretty sure H&J technically isn't a prequel, so it probably doesn't count.

But it's pretty clear who it is. It's obviously going to be Sir Thumb the Digit Knight.
    Last edited by Aeliren; 2019-12-10 at 11:25 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    More that he didn't clarify what appearance meant. So, is he counting any kind of visual representation, like we do for the thread; or is it specifically an appearance on camera. So do in character drawings count? Do flash backs? ( my thought is yes on the flashbacks, though maybe crayon drawings dont?)

We know he likes to be tricksy and clever, so I'm going with there is some form of trickery afoot.
    Imean, the only reason to mention that is to give a guessing game, and immediately undercutting that game seems pretty cheap to me. It'd be like me saying, "pick a number between 1 and 10, if you guess it correct you win a prize!" and that number being e.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

okay, Serinni is disqualified.

That means it must be Batman.

I will have to read the 'Number of Character Appearances' topic before I reread the comic.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

If we're getting technical, I don't think Haleo & Julelan counts as a prequel; it's really an alternate continuity (similar to Snips Snails & Dragon Tales).

Shoulder Pads Guy, or one of the two voices we just met, seem like the most straightforward to me, but I'd have to think about it some more. I thought I had an interesting answer from one of the prequels, but it turned out to not meet the requirements of only one page of appearances.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Well, obviously it's going to be Gary Gygax or Dave Arneson!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Well, obviously it's going to be Gary Gygax or Dave Arneson!
    Don't be silly. It's clearly gonna be Tony the Celestial.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

How has none of you mentionned Fruit Pie the Sorcerer yet?

For shame.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

29. - Top - End - #29

PaladinGuy

How about Zeus? He has only one appearance IIRC though is mentioned a number of times.

30. - Top - End - #30

MindFlayer

Obviously it's the Displacer Beasts!

On a more serious note, what about the people Hinjo was talking to when he got the sending from the oots? He was negotiating with someone. Maybe they can send a party to help or something just like he got the elves to send help to the resistance?

Another weird option? Tiamat
    She technically appeared once if I recall, despite being mentioned by the oracle and the IFCC