New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 823242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    My money is still on spikey-masked bugbear who was later seen handing a scroll to Redcloak.
    Recent events have strongly led me to agree with this idea. Mainly because my initial reaction to it was, "Yeah, that seems like a reasonable idea except... a random bugbear mook becoming an ally? I doubt it." The comic going on to denounce that first instinct I had just feels like would fit too perfectly with what we've seen of the themes of this book so far for the idea to be wrong.
    Last edited by Bilbo Baggins; 2021-06-21 at 04:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Ah, but all of those dead characters are humanoids. The snack food people are clearly either outsiders or some kind of constructs, neither of which can be resurrected.
    They could've been regular lifeforms in past iterations of the world that the gods snuck in as Easter eggs when making this one.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

3. - Top - End - #963
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Soy Latte.
    Arguably, Soy Latte had two appearances (if the looks, bow and red-feathered arrows are anything to go by).

4. - Top - End - #964
    Colossus in the Playground

Given that Unnamed Beholder from strip 32 has only one appearance:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0032.html

is it now highly plausible that this Beholder is Sunny from strip 1238, and is the character in question?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #965
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Post Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

It actually had two appearances by the Number of Character Appearances thread's rules. But it's doubtful what Rich count as an appearance.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Colossus in the Playground

I would guess that since "Orange Voice" was invisible, that's not "appearing on a page".

Unless you're saying that Strip 32 Beholder has appeared elsewhere - if so, where?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-06-28 at 09:29 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #967
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Given that Unnamed Beholder from strip 32 has only one appearance:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0032.html

is it now highly plausible that this Beholder is Sunny from strip 1238, and is the character in question?
    Not 100% ready to call it, but the fact that it and the #32 Beholder only have 8 eyestalks rather than 10 makes it a unique enough identifier that it seems to be the same beholder rather two different ones (The "Eye Tyrant" in A Monster for Every Season (Winter) has a full 10 for example).

Yeah, I'd go with "highly plausible"

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ogre in the Playground

We now have TWO candidates for the ally, Quippie and the Beholder.
    There is the question of how the Beholder made it to Serini, but maybe she put up a Help Wanted ad.
    I mean, she'd be better than Shojo about recruiting people in that case.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-06-28 at 11:20 AM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

9. - Top - End - #969

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    There is the question of how the Beholder made it to Serini, but maybe she put up a Help Wanted ad.
    Sunny got let go from the Dungeon of Dorukan. Some sort of reference program to the affiliated Kraagor's Tomb seems likely.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I would guess that since "Orange Voice" was invisible, that's not "appearing on a page".

Unless you're saying that Strip 32 Beholder has appeared elsewhere - if so, where?
    The Orange Voice strip happened AFTER Rich's comment that the creature has only appeared in one strip thus far, so it doesn't count for that anyway.

11. - Top - End - #971

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    The Orange Voice strip happened AFTER Rich's comment that the creature has only appeared in one strip thus far, so it doesn't count for that anyway.
    Wasn't the comment in the commentary to Utterly Dwarfed? The orange voice appeared in the last strip of Utterly Dwarfed, which should be included in the count.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Wasn't the comment in the commentary to Utterly Dwarfed? The orange voice appeared in the last strip of Utterly Dwarfed, which should be included in the count.
    The comment was in the commentary before strip 1178 and stated that the character had "appeared in exactly one (1) page of the story so far", not "appeared in exactly one (1) page of the story as of the end of this book".

13. - Top - End - #973

ClericGuy

The comment was in the commentary before strip 1178 and stated that the character had "appeared in exactly one (1) page of the story so far", not "appeared in exactly one (1) page of the story as of the end of this book".
    Since the comic in question was published online before the comment was printed, I doubt this interpretation is correct.
    However I can totally see a stance of "invisible (to the reader) characters don't count as an appearance"

14. - Top - End - #974
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Since the comic in question was published online before the comment was printed, I doubt this interpretation is correct.
    However I can totally see a stance of "invisible (to the reader) characters don't count as an appearance"
    Gonna plagiarize myself here from the main comic thread: not counting the ilast panels of UD is really the only interpretation that makes any sense. If the strip where they were invisible and talked on panel counted as an appearance, then the only way the "appeared in only one page" would be if it was an entirely new character we'd never seen, in which case the author pointing that out is kind of useless.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #975

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Gonna plagiarize myself here from the main comic thread: not counting the ilast panels of UD is really the only interpretation that makes any sense. If the strip where they were invisible and talked on panel counted as an appearance, then the only way the "appeared in only one page" would be if it was an entirely new character we'd never seen, in which case the author pointing that out is kind of useless.
    I am not opposed to them not counting. However, the reason would be "They were invisible to both the characters and the readers" and not "This panel(s) came later in book format than the comment".

I'm reasonably sure I said some days ago that I doubt the orange voice would be the ally, since it would be a cheap thing to point out an invisible creature at the end of the book would play a role later. Now, orange voice might be the ally - but the appearance would be "we will call you" instead of the invisible non-appearance.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Firbolg in the Playground

At any rate, funny as the idea of beholder no. 32 being identical with Sunny might be, I'm not sure I'm ready to call this yet.

17. - Top - End - #977

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    At any rate, funny as the idea of beholder no. 32 being identical with Sunny might be, I'm not sure I'm ready to call this yet.
    There might be a line in the next comic like 'hey, it's you guys! You never called back!'

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    There might be a line in the next comic like 'hey, it's you guys! You never called back!'
    Or later, and more darkly:
    " so how does a beholder and up being raised by a halfling?
    Sunny: Well, I used to leave with my old parents in a dungeon owned by that guy Dorukan but then it exploded and they died so my new Mom took me in.
    "
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-06-28 at 02:18 PM.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I am not opposed to them not counting. However, the reason would be "They were invisible to both the characters and the readers" and not "This panel(s) came later in book format than the comment".

I'm reasonably sure I said some days ago that I doubt the orange voice would be the ally, since it would be a cheap thing to point out an invisible creature at the end of the book would play a role later. Now, orange voice might be the ally - but the appearance would be "we will call you" instead of the invisible non-appearance.
    Totally fair on all counts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    For what its worth (ie, very little), im calling it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

20. - Top - End - #980

Lizardfolk

Yeah I think it's probably sunny, so that's cool! I like seeing call-backs and things like that.. heh.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

21. - Top - End - #981

ClericGuy

So... Was Sunny working for Sereni back then?
    (Illegally) checking another gate?

Or was there another reason for the adorable monster to be at the Dungeon of D.?

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Add me to the group of people who are now reasonably confident that the ally is Sunny. The Quippie theory doesn’t make a lot of sense, since it’s sort of a stretch to call Quippie an “ally” rather than an object. (I know I was one of the ones who semi-promoted it, but I never liked it and always hoped it was wrong.)

Plus, we’re running sort of short on time to introduce that important ally. We’re no longer at what you could easily call the beginning of the book.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2021-06-28 at 05:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #983

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Obviously it's going to be the beholder from the first book. He's finally finished with the lawyers trying to prevent his big break.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThriKreenLich View Post
    A major character, in D&D that is, which has only appeared in one strip thus far is the beholder in strip #32.
    Congratulations you guys, wherever you are now...

24. - Top - End - #984

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Add me to the group of people who are now reasonably confident that the ally is Sunny. The Quippie theory doesn’t make a lot of sense, since it’s sort of a stretch to call Quippie an “ally” rather than an object. (I know I was one of the ones who semi-promoted it, but I never liked it and always hoped it was wrong.)

Plus, we’re running sort of short on time to introduce that important ally. We’re no longer at what you could easily call the beginning of the book.
    I'm not sure how you could say that. You can't definitively say how long this book is going to be, and we have word it will finish the story, even if it has to be significantly longer than all of the others.

I'll wait to see if there's any acknowledgement/callback to that strip, but an argument based on time isn't actually based on much, given the circumstances.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    I'm not sure how you could say that. You can't definitively say how long this book is going to be, and we have word it will finish the story, even if it has to be significantly longer than all of the others.

I'll wait to see if there's any acknowledgement/callback to that strip, but an argument based on time isn't actually based on much, given the circumstances.
    It's just a gut feeling. I didn't mean it as a rigorous argument. I can't see this book being much more than 400 pages, though, so we're probably at least ⅛ of the way through, and we've just started a battle. If a character is going to serve as an important ally in the first half of the book, I would expect them to be introduced within the first quarter of it, and given how few people seem to be around, I can't see introductions coming thick and fast, exactly.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

26. - Top - End - #986

Lizardfolk

So... Was Sunny working for Sereni back then?
    (Illegally) checking another gate?

Or was there another reason for the adorable monster to be at the Dungeon of D.?
    He'd travelled south to try and make it as an actor while Dorukan gave him a temp job to pay the bills. When he started facing legal troubles, Sunny moved back in with his mum and helped with the family business.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    He'd travelled south to try and make it as an actor while Dorukan gave him a temp job to pay the bills. When he started facing legal troubles, Sunny moved back in with his mum and helped with the family business.
    Sunny came home with a mission?

A semi-obscure song allusion, for those whose reference pools are different than mine.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, that is what the phrase "so far" means. It means "prior to this comment", not "or shortly after it". There are people who only read the book versions of this comic. Rich is not going to leave them out because "Oh, well when you read that sentence you should have looked at the website to see where the story was on that day". And how do you account for people who recieve the book at different times? It takes awhile to ship the book to overseas locations. If someone in another country only received the book by the time strip 1201 came out? Does that mean the merchant could be the character who was only in one strip, since that strip was already out by the time they got their book?

There are only two explanations for his sentence that make sense:

1) the character appeared in one strip prior to Strip 1178, or
    2) Rich doesn't know what the words "so far" mean

EDIT: oh wait, I forgot the 3rd one:

3) the "so far" comment relates to the date on which you read the book and therefore is different for each reader.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2021-06-30 at 10:50 AM.

29. - Top - End - #989

ClericGuy

Yes, that is what the phrase "so far" means. It means "prior to this comment", not "or shortly after it". There are people who only read the book versions of this comic. Rich is not going to leave them out because "Oh, well when you read that sentence you should have looked at the website to see where the story was on that day". And how do you account for people who recieve the book at different times? It takes awhile to ship the book to overseas locations. If someone in another country only received the book by the time strip 1201 came out? Does that mean the merchant could be the character who was only in one strip, since that strip was already out by the time they got their book?

There are only two explanations for his sentence that make sense:

1) the character appeared in one strip prior to Strip 1178, or
    2) Rich doesn't know what the words "so far" mean

EDIT: oh wait, I forgot the 3rd one:

3) the "so far" comment relates to the date on which you read the book and therefore is different for each reader.
    Nope, not buying this.
    You completely disregard the - in my opinion very likely - options of
    4) so far relates to the time the comment was written - and since this time is unknown:
    4b) so far relates to the time the comment was published. And the comment was published after the whole book was ready, with most strips being published online before.

Plus, if I remember correctly, the giants himself suggests to read the comic before the comment. Not sure about this... summon banana?

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yxylu View Post
    Sunny came home with a mission?

A semi-obscure song allusion, for those whose reference pools are different than mine.
    *groan* And just when I thought I'd forgotten about the late-90s adult contemporary that dominated the airwaves...