New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 520212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Rich Burlew has also appeared in every single physical book, just only once during the online comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    He also appears a second time in the main comic, effortlessly slaying the black dragon.

I tend to skim over quotes so I just thought these two posts are related and Rich Burlew effortlessly slayed a black dragon...
    Last edited by Darth V; 2021-03-16 at 12:56 PM. Reason: why preview when you miss the typos anyway <.<
    The difference between Mace Windu and Miko Miyazaki:

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    It's one thing to take on a Sith Lord outside the law; bisecting an unarmed octogenarian is a little different.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Darth V View Post
    I tend to skim over quotes so I just thought these two posts are related and Rich Burlew effortlessly slayed a black dragon...
    Well, technically he did that, if indirectly.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Well, technically he did that, if indirectly.
    Eh, it probably took effort. It was a really good scene; took him a bit of work, I bet.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Just to reiterate my guess that the MitD is the major character with one appearance. While looking for something else in connection with something else, I noticed the devil roach saying something suggestive in panel 10:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0709.html
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Just to reiterate my guess that the MitD is the major character with one appearance. While looking for something else in connection with something else, I noticed the devil roach saying something suggestive in panel 10:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0709.html
    I mean, if that were the case it then it means Mr. Burlew is just flat out lying but trying to make it seem like a "twist" for no real reason.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2021-03-21 at 07:24 PM.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

6. - Top - End - #876
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    I mean, if that were the case it then it means Mr. Burlew as just flat out lying but trying to make it seem like a "twist" for no real reason.
    Not only that, but what would the one appearance be?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #877

Right, also this. If the thought process is that technically he's never drawn the Monster then it still doesn't fit his words. So it can't even be true in a technical way no matter how you stretch it.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

The circus scene, we readers don't see him (so he's not drawn), but his audience do, so it is an appearance.

I don't think the MitD being the character that appears once involves the Giant in lying, misleading yes, lying no. If it turns out to be what happens, it'll mainly be a funny thing, it was obviously a joke to start with.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The circus scene, we readers don't see him (so he's not drawn), but his audience do, so it is an appearance.

I don't think the MitD being the character that appears once involves the Giant in lying, misleading yes, lying no. If it turns out to be what happens, it'll mainly be a funny thing, it was obviously a joke to start with.
    By that logic, in the jungle the audience doesn't see him but the hunters do, so more than one appearance.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-03-21 at 08:02 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

By that logic, in the jungle the audience doesn't see him but the hunters do, so more than one appearance.
    Sort of, but an appearance on stage is an Appearance, and the jungle wasn't that. It is an issue though. I'm sticking to my guess.

11. - Top - End - #881

My main issue with this is that it's kind of a pointless tease. The MitD will become an ally of the Order? Yeah, wow, big shock, that's only where his whole character arc has been headed for the last four books. Kinda weird to hint at something the whole audience already knew was coming, even as a joke.
    Spoiler: Sig Art
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

If it turns out to be what happens, it'll mainly be a funny thing, it was obviously a joke to start with.
    Seeing as most people seem to take it seriously and literally, I think it's safe to say that even if it is a joke, it's not an obvious one.

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ogre in the Playground

Panel 1-2. He wasn't there in panel 1, then in panel 2 he suddenly appeared. As far as I recall, this was the only time he did so. Therefore he only appeared in one page.

NB - I do not think this is the real answer.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Panel 1-2. He wasn't there in panel 1, then in panel 2 he suddenly appeared. As far as I recall, this was the only time he did so. Therefore he only appeared in one page.

NB - I do not think this is the real answer.
    That would be amusingly trollish, but, based on how we've seen Rich handle plot twists with, say, The Oracle, I don't think that's really his style of misdirection. (And yes, I get that you're not actually arguing for this.)

15. - Top - End - #885

I can't remember if anyone else brought up this idea earlier, but as long as we're bringing up misdirections, I just noticed that the hint didn't specify who this character will be allied with. If there's any misdirection here, I'd put my money on the idea that the character Rich is hinting at will actually be an ally of someone else like Serini or Team Evil or one of the six other sides of the Gate conflict.

Not that I really think that'll be the case... just an interesting idea.
    Last edited by DapperWarlock; 2021-03-21 at 09:21 PM.
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it

16. - Top - End - #886

Quote Originally Posted by DapperWarlock View Post
    I can't remember if anyone else brought up this idea earlier, but as long as we're bringing up misdirections, I just noticed that the hint didn't specify who this character will be allied with. If there's any misdirection here, I'd put my money on the idea that the character Rich is hinting at will actually be an ally of someone else like Serini or Team Evil or one of the other six sides of the Gate conflict.

Not that I really think that'll be the case... just an interesting idea.
    That's some Tarquin-level BS right there.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

17. - Top - End - #887

My main issue with this is that it's kind of a pointless tease. The MitD will become an ally of the Order? Yeah, wow, big shock, that's only where his whole character arc has been headed for the last four books. Kinda weird to hint at something the whole audience already knew was coming, even as a joke.
    This applies to a lot of the more popular guesses - Serini, "Orange Voice", probably others. Even if you could stretch a way for them to fit his wording, then the question becomes what's the point at "hinting" at something no one would be surprised by - no is surprised that Serini is still alive and in the story, and no one will be surprised if one of the mysterious voices at the end of the previous book will be important during the next half of the final book.

It just feels like people are more interested in being "right" than what the Giant actually said or the answer being interesting.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

speaking of the orange voice, what if thats also serini who used a magic wand to carry lien and ochul?

it could be possible she used some kind of spell or trick that is non magical to cover her voice with a filter. roys dad changed his speech bubble as a magician. One could think she used a potion of plot to change her voice to whatever she wanted.

The red voice person isn't the new addition, and is a red herring in addition to a red voice.

serini seems inclined to have a multitude of potions, like amnesia juice, knock out blow darts, weird goggles with an as of yet unknown function (likely true seeing maybe?), an invisibility wand and by her own admission several magic items the trolls declined to take from her.

The only one more prepared is the oracle who knows how to prepare when he wants to outside of fate, and even then he can come back if he prepared a raise dead party.

This does not disqualify anyones guesses from earlier, just that the identity of the red voice is maybe just a weird cover up to make the readers and other folk think its a 2 man set up, when its really one.

as to why the need to do all that for a voice? well, maybe its done just in case someone is spying on her and she isn't aware of it, and is done out of paranoia.

Personally I'm more partial to the straight idea of it being 2 people, but at this point with her mind set being so intent on hiding and mind wiping, I wouldn't count it as impossible even if it is improbable.
    Vae Victus!

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

I mean... both of the paladins were unconscious. There's no point in disguising your voice when they're not gonna be around to hear it.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #890
    Barbarian in the Playground

no is surprised that Serini is still alive and in the story
    Maybe not among the forumites who spend ten days between each strip analyzing and dissecting and arguing, but among the casual book readers (who are the ones actually paying the bills rather than incurring them)? Absolutely.

21. - Top - End - #891

Quote Originally Posted by WolvesbaneIII View Post
    speaking of the orange voice, what if thats also serini who used a magic wand to carry lien and ochul?

it could be possible she used some kind of spell or trick that is non magical to cover her voice with a filter. roys dad changed his speech bubble as a magician. One could think she used a potion of plot to change her voice to whatever she wanted.

The red voice person isn't the new addition, and is a red herring in addition to a red voice.

serini seems inclined to have a multitude of potions, like amnesia juice, knock out blow darts, weird goggles with an as of yet unknown function (likely true seeing maybe?), an invisibility wand and by her own admission several magic items the trolls declined to take from her.

The only one more prepared is the oracle who knows how to prepare when he wants to outside of fate, and even then he can come back if he prepared a raise dead party.

This does not disqualify anyones guesses from earlier, just that the identity of the red voice is maybe just a weird cover up to make the readers and other folk think its a 2 man set up, when its really one.

as to why the need to do all that for a voice? well, maybe its done just in case someone is spying on her and she isn't aware of it, and is done out of paranoia.

Personally I'm more partial to the straight idea of it being 2 people, but at this point with her mind set being so intent on hiding and mind wiping, I wouldn't count it as impossible even if it is improbable.
    So your claim is that Serini might have faked being two different people, while being invisible, after having already knocking out the two Paladins so they won't even know about it, and with there being no else around?

That feels less "improbable" and more just "nonsensical". And nothing about Serini's current mindset or her actions strikes me as nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    Maybe not among the forumites who spend ten days between each strip analyzing and dissecting and arguing, but among the casual book readers (who are the ones actually paying the bills rather than incurring them)? Absolutely.
    But the very comment that started this thread wasn't directed at casual readers. It seems very much calling out people who obsess over every little detail. But even then, you don't have to obsess over every little detail to think "the last remaining member of this important group who hasn't been confirmed dead is likely to show up when they get to her gate." I feel like that's just the kind of thought you have if you're basically just up to speed with things.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2021-03-23 at 11:23 PM.

22. - Top - End - #892

So your claim is that Serini might have faked being two different people, while being invisible, after having already knocking out the two Paladins so they won't even know about it, and with there being no else around?

That feels less "improbable" and more just "nonsensical". And nothing about Serini's current mindset or her actions strikes me as nonsensical.
    I'd actually find it pretty funny if Serini was just so isolated after three years holed up there that she turned one of her wands into a puppet and started talking to herself, like Donald Duck with that Mickey Mouse watermelon in the new Ducktales cartoon.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #893
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sort of, but an appearance on stage is an Appearance, and the jungle wasn't that. It is an issue though. I'm sticking to my guess.
    I'm not sure the stage is even the only time he's trotted out as a spectacle
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

24. - Top - End - #894
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I mean... both of the paladins were unconscious. There's no point in disguising your voice when they're not gonna be around to hear it.
    it wasn't for the paladins ears. it was for the possibility of anyone else either watching directly, scrying or viewing through say a crystal ball.

I'm assuming the area isn't protected from that kind of viewing. perhaps her alchemy lab is, and the façade is dropped when in there.

basically, the act is dropped when she is assured her privacy.

I'd actually find it pretty funny if Serini was just so isolated after three years holed up there that she turned one of her wands into a puppet and started talking to herself, like Donald Duck with that Mickey Mouse watermelon in the new Ducktales cartoon.
    ha, I wouldn't go that far. magic does allow for people to spy on others, and well, perhaps thats why the charade of 2 people is set up.
    Last edited by WolvesbaneIII; 2021-03-25 at 09:20 PM.
    Vae Victus!

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

We're a decent bit into the first half of the seventh book by now, and still no obvious candidate for the Major Character has appeared. I'm starting to worry that something underwhelming will wind up being the case, like Quippie being the "Important Ally" just because his corpse helped the Order bypass Serini's security.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2021-04-19 at 10:25 AM.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WolvesbaneIII View Post

So, just spitballing here. But well into stupid Ideatm territory...

What if the 2nd voice is Senri's troll half because super regenerating Troll blood does just bonkers stuff in stories.

Edit: I can't seem to find where Haley got the Quippie skull. Must be getting rusty, might need to rereadthe story.
    Last edited by Ornithologist; 2021-04-19 at 10:45 AM.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post

Edit: I can't seem to find where Haley got the Quippie skull. Must be getting rusty, might need to rereadthe story.
    If you are only reading the online comic she got it off panel.

In Utterly Dwarfed there was a bonus strip where she got it.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    So, just spitballing here. But well into stupid Ideatm territory...

What if the 2nd voice is Senri's troll half because super regenerating Troll blood does just bonkers stuff in stories.

Haley got Quippie in bonus strip in Utterly Dwarfed (it did not appear on the web). On the other hand, I have no idea who the Senri's troll is.

We're a decent bit into the first half of the seventh book by now, and still no obvious candidate for the Major Character has appeared. I'm starting to worry that something underwhelming will wind up being the case, like Quippie being the "Important Ally" just because his corpse helped the Order bypass Serini's security.
    It's 42 strips from the beginning so far, halftime for BRitF was about 138 strips, and this last book will likely be even longer. Plenty of time yet. I also thought Quippie may be it, but now I'm convinced it was introduced as a red herring precisely for these speculations
    Last edited by Mike Havran; 2021-04-19 at 10:56 AM.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

29. - Top - End - #899

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    It's 42 strips from the beginning so far, halftime for BRitF was about 138 strips, and this last book will likely be even longer. Plenty of time yet. I also thought Quippie may be it, but now I'm convinced it was introduced as a red herring precisely for these speculations
    There's also the possibility they'll continue to use Quippie to bypass the security of other tunnels for more elaborate evasion tactics. Honestly, the more I think about the possibility of it being Quippie, the more I like the idea... even if it's a bit of a stretch to describe him as a character, and even more of a stretch to describe him as an ally.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #900
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Whelp, I'm sufficently convinced.

I'll hop aboard the Quippie train.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles