New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

I think I was the first to guess quippie. At least, I can't find an earlier suggestion. However, I wasn't serious.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

2. - Top - End - #902
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    I think I was the first to guess quippie. At least, I can't find an earlier suggestion. However, I wasn't serious.
    Technically, it was me. I officially declare myself the engineer of the Quippie Train.
    Spoiler: Sig Art
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it

3. - Top - End - #903
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    So, just spitballing here. But well into stupid Ideatm territory...

What if the 2nd voice is Senri's troll half because super regenerating Troll blood does just bonkers stuff in stories.

Edit: I can't seem to find where Haley got the Quippie skull. Must be getting rusty, might need to rereadthe story.
    I didn't know trolls blood could do that, but maybe she's like the batman villain 2 face. I've seen some instances where the 2 were like split personalities, and I think they had discussions with each other.

It'd be kinda cliche and copying that particular villain, but I could see that as being a mental block for her and with xykons attack being part of the impetus for that plot direction I could see it happening.

Personally, I'd rather it be a seperate character altogether, and not a split personality or decoy operation.
    Vae Victus!

4. - Top - End - #904
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Put my vote down for fruit pie the sorcerer
    In all seriousness, he's in one strip and has a name
    Last edited by Wizard_Lizard; 2021-04-20 at 04:52 AM.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DapperWarlock View Post
    I can't remember if anyone else brought up this idea earlier, but as long as we're bringing up misdirections, I just noticed that the hint didn't specify who this character will be allied with. If there's any misdirection here, I'd put my money on the idea that the character Rich is hinting at will actually be an ally of someone else like Serini or Team Evil or one of the six other sides of the Gate conflict.

Not that I really think that'll be the case... just an interesting idea.
    Maybe that character will start advocating for social causes that don't impact them personnally?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    Whelp, I'm sufficently convinced.

I'll hop aboard the Quippie train.
    It's an inanimate ****ing object!

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    It saved them from Xykon and is currently facilitating them in an ambush attempt against the same - that is more then most of their allies have done.

Seperately I do wonder if 'spellcasting Belkar' might count as a major ally who had appeared in only a single page to date - in his last appearance he saved Elan's life and we have reason to believe that he might not survive the entire book.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ogre in the Playground

Do not let the thread title deceive you. Only the thread title says “character”, Rich's statement doesn't.

9. - Top - End - #909

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Do not let the thread title deceive you. Only the thread title says “character”, Rich's statement doesn't.
    Correct, technically speaking. The statement says „someone” (and, as far as I am concerned, it is hard to read poor Quippie's mummified head as a someone).
    That aside, my comment above was more of a (poorly done) movie reference than anything else.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Put my vote down for fruit pie the sorcerer
    In all seriousness, he's in one strip and has a name
    Actually, he has a cameo in the background in a panel of Haleo and Julelan. That will disqualify him.

That aside, my comment above was more of a (poorly done) movie reference than anything else.
    Thog not get reference
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

11. - Top - End - #911
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Thog not get reference
    You're an inanimate ****ing object!

12. - Top - End - #912

Actually, he has a cameo in the background in a panel of Haleo and Julelan. That will disqualify him.
    I don't think Sticktales counts as "in-story." They're framed as being told in-between parts of the comic, sure, but the tales themselves aren't in continuity with the main story, so I don't actually think that disqualifies him.

Being dead might, but that's only about a 50/50 chance.
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it

13. - Top - End - #913
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I don't think Sticktales counts as "in-story." They're framed as being told in-between parts of the comic, sure, but the tales themselves aren't in continuity with the main story, so I don't actually think that disqualifies him.

Fruit Pie The Sorcerer was reincarnated after having been eaten, but now he's made with RealFruit® and without high fructose corn syrup, so I don't think he qualifies as the same 'someone'.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The temptation to quote In Bruges is overwhelming, but I'm afraid the reference might go over some heads and it would just seem mean.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #915

Lizardfolk

Hmm forgot about that... though Dapper's thing below may exclude that?

Death is no barrier for the mighty sorcerer, Fruit Pie!!
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

16. - Top - End - #916

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Prediction time.

In my experience, in situations like this, after the reveal happens some annoying jerkwad inevitably pops up to say "Well, its OBVIOUS it was going to be the angel roach. I knew it the whole time." The best way to combat this is to actually keep track of who guessed what. So, when that person shows up, everyone can then point to them guessing RC's Niece, which was not only not the angel roach but also a guess since she had way more than one appearance. Pursuing that goal, I'm going to track everyone's predicts.

Lets keep it consistent with the MitD predictions. Obviously, having a single guess is best for bragging rights, but if you really want you can have up to 3 guesses. They can be rank ordered (1st choice X, 2nd choice Y, 3rd choice Z) or equal-weight ("its one of these 3"). If enough people guess, I'll keep a league-table of the most popular guesses.

I'll track them here unless we start a new thread. I've gone through the thread and added anyone who said anything like "I think its X" or "I'm guessing that its X", or joked that it might be a particular candidate and then ran with the joke instead of letting it die. Pelee probably doesn't *really* think its Xyklon the Consequential, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Gift Jeraff - 12/11/19 - Orange Voice or Shoulderpad Guy
    Lady Eowyn - 12/11/19 - Orange Voice
    Ornithologist - 12/11/19 - Serini
    Pelee - 12/11/19 - Xyklon the Consequential, 12/13/19 - Xyklon = Soon's Wife
    Toad - 12/11/19 - an Eastern God
    Grey Watcher - 12/11/19 - gnome news fox
    Riftwolf - 12/11/19 - Amir, 12/14/19 - Holey Brotherhood
    knag - 12/11/19 - Mr Belvedere
    Savil - 12/12/19 - Ghost Flumph
    The Pilgrim - 12/12/19 - Green Voice
    Petrocorus - 12/12/19 - Shoulderpad Guy = Tiamat, 12/13/19 - Shoulderpad Guy
    ElderSage - 12/13/19 - Popcorn, 12/14/19 - Popcorn > Giggles
    redemedic - 12/13/19 - Fruit Pie the Sorcerer
    Schoeswald - 12/13/19 - Aunt Ivy
    Ron Miel - 12/14/19 - Suzy Finklestein > King of Nowhere, 12/14/19 - Suzy Finkleystein > Aunt Ivy > King of Nowhere
    halfeye - 12/14/19 - MitD
    Sermil - 12/14/19 - Roy's Understudy
    Aelieren - 12/14/19 - Tony the Celestial = Shoulderpads Guy
    Joerg - 12/14/19 - One of the Northern Gods (Fenrir?)
    Malfarian - 12/15/19 - Durkon's Dad
    2.5 cats - 12/15/19 - A Tinkertown Gnome merchant
    Dausuul - 12/17/19 - Mia Starshine
    littebum2002 - 12/17/19 - that guy with a halberd
    b_jonas - 12/20/19 - Someone from the Mechane's crew > Haley's personality with green hair/dress from #381
    Personification - 12/24/19 - one of the Tinkertown gnomes/Firmament dwarves
    Starla - 12/24/19 - King of Somewhere > Bottlecap guy
    Lord Raziere - 12/25/19 - Kayannara
    Mike Havran - 12/26/19 - pair of adventures from #639 (grey warrior/green caster) > a bugbear from #1036
    Dire_Flumph - 12/27/19 - cleric of the Dark One who fell into the rift
    brian 333 - 12/27/19 - CPPD sketch artist
    Coventry - 12/28/19 - phone-answering infernal from #667 > red-robed older emissary from a southern country from Daigo and Kazumi's wedding
    Precure - 1/4/20 - Larry Gardener > Priest of Adad > Olivia Benson
    I won't let it die!

17. - Top - End - #917

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    I won't let it die!
    That is certainly a noble sentiment, but the list you quoted was last updated in early 2020, and (more importantly) it does not contain any of my crazy suggestions.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    I won't let it die!
    Hey, nice to see this again. I officially want to switch the bugbear in my guess. The Order will of course join forces with Lord Emmerick from the evil city of Melbourne.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

19. - Top - End - #919

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    Hey, nice to see this again. I officially want to switch the bugbear in my guess. The Order will of course join forces with Lord Emmerick from the evil city of Melbourne.
    Unfortunately, he's in at least two pages that I remember--first in OtOoPCs and then a bonus strip in Volume 5.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ogre in the Playground

That is certainly a noble sentiment, but the list you quoted was last updated in early 2020, and (more importantly) it does not contain any of my crazy suggestions.
    Those are both features. It's an old list because you get more bragging rights if you can guess the ally at the start of the book than if you guess it now; and it doesn't contain crazy suggestions like random goblin soldiers, only actual guesses, of which you can only have a one or a few.

21. - Top - End - #921

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Those are both features.
    I resent that! some of my crazy guesses are not that bad!

it doesn't contain crazy suggestions like random goblin soldiers
    I hate to break it to you, but most of that list consists of: gnome news fox, Mr. Belvedere, the Ghost Flumph, Popcorn, the guy with the halberd, Giggles, Fruit Pie, a Tinkertown gnome merchant, Haley's illusory green-haired variant, a random gnome from Tinkertown/a random dwarf from Firmament, Bottlecap Guy, the CPPD sketch artist, Haley's dead mother, Durkon's dead father and Larry freakin' Gardener. Let's not pretend these are serious guesses.
    (And don't even get me started on the Serini/Green and MitD votes.)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-06-05 at 03:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I already posted, but if someone is making a list, write that I vote for any living food or drinks character.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's a bit late to vote for Quippie, but it's looking like that might have been it.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

24. - Top - End - #924

[sigh]... Okay, I'm just gonna throw this out there. I had a very bizarre brainwave and now feel the need to share my speculation.

I don't think Tenrin is the ally being hinted at, as I'd err on the side of counting crayon drawings as an appearance and thus he would be disqualified.

But what if HE'S the orange-voiced person?

It's entirely possible he got doused with that super-troll's blood while they were being crushed. If he was deformed by the troll blood, it stands to reason that he might think he wouldn't be welcome back home anymore. Serini seemed like she was resigned to that idea pretty quickly, and in most flashbacks she appeared pretty upbeat and optimistic. What we know of him seems to gel with the idea he'd end up being the subservient helper-type, much like Durkon. Now, the orange voice didn't show any sign of a dwarven accent, which gave me pause for a second, but seeing as it's been 55 years his accent could have easily changed over time, being away from dwarven lands and all.

And this could even build onto Durkon's arc for this book. Not only would Tenrin make an excellent foil to Durkon, much like all the other parents we've seen so far, but we're seeing hints that Durkon's... well, he's not having an outright crisis of faith, but what he's learned about the gods and how they operate seems to have shown him that Thor's not a flawless being. The shine has come off the apple, somewhat. Now throw in that his father, someone he's probably only heard good things about--especially if all he's heard was what Squeaky told him--and thus, has likely been heavily exalted in his mind, has been alive for over fifty years and just never came home. That's an emotional bomb that could lead to some interesting drama in Durkon's character arc.

Much like most predictions I try to make, I'm probably wildly off-base with this idea. The surprise parent reveals were done to death in book 5, I kinda doubt he'll go back to that well.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #925
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I would like to bring back my proposal for it being Juta the Barbarian, the last of Eugene’s old adventuring Party and curiously, the only one absent from the flashback. This means she only appeared in one page.

After all, it would make sense for an old adventuring buddy of Eugene’s to get involved in all of this. Plus, she would serve well for Roy’s character development as someone who knew Eugene and help Roy make peace with being a fighter and so on.

However, I would like to add an addendum; I believe Juta is the orange voice.

By this point, Juta would be quite old and while it’s claimed she’s human, it’s not explicitly confirmed so she could be of a race that looks human. I propose that Juta would be a maenad Barbarian. It would fit given how maenads would reach middle age by 90, meaning she could still fight. Given how different color speech bubbles indicate unnormal individuals, the orange could represent her being a psionic race.

Additionally, it would add further contributions to parallels with Roy as according to the lore, or at least Eberron’s, the maenad have powerful emotions and are generally taciturn and reserved in an effort to keep their strong emotions in check.

The powerful emotions aspect mirrors Roy learning to
    manifest the power of his Weapon of Legacy and her own sort of reservations and so on would be something that would parallel that and hence, Roy being able to learn from her.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Unfortunately, he's in at least two pages that I remember--first in OtOoPCs and then a bonus strip in Volume 5.
    Oh well, never mind then.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Pixie in the Playground

My suggestion--in Strip #194 we see two lantern archons. Perhaps one of them is Roy's Archon. And perhaps the other is an archon who found Serini's diary in Xykon's tower and whiled away the time perusing it. In Strip #664 we have Roy's cryptic comment to Roy's Archon. Perhaps the comment involves Roy's Archon contacting the other Archon and gathering the information it knows from Serini's diary. That's where my quatloos are placed right now, anyhow.

28. - Top - End - #928

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Lotor View Post
    My suggestion--in Strip #194 we see two lantern archons. Perhaps one of them is Roy's Archon.
    Very unlikely. Roy's Archon is orange. (If you really like one-shot lantern archons, though, the linked strip has two five more, four pale yellow ones and a blue one.)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-06-07 at 12:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Troll in the Playground

I'm missing something...why are we calling the moldy skull Quippie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    I'm missing something...why are we calling the moldy skull Quippie?
    It's from a bonus strip in the print book.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2