New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Yeah, but the grey hair still manages the visual aging.
    Another good example of "you can be pretty old before getting wrinkles" - Shojo:

Completely wrinkle-less as of "Meat Loaf Day" - grey hair

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0289.html

and this only takes place "a few years" before War & XPs. He was 77 in War & XPs. And didn't appear to be putting up a senility facade in HtPGtS (possibly because Mr Scruffy hadn't been born yet - he was 6 in War & XPs - which would be consistent with Shojo buying him as a kitten specifically for the facade, maybe a couple of years or so after the Meat Loaf Day incident).

He has very slight eye bags in HtPGtS, but no other wrinkles.

So, with a character who is bald and beardless, like Former Supreme Leader, one might expect there to be a lack of ageing clues if he's the same guy as in HtPGhS.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-06-26 at 10:16 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #542
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Another good example of "you can be pretty old before getting wrinkles" - Shojo:

and this only takes place "a few years" before War & XPs. He was 77 in War & XPs. And didn't appear to be putting up a senility facade in HtPGtS (possibly because Mr Scruffy hadn't been born yet - he was 6 in War & XPs - which would be consistent with Shojo buying him as a kitten specifically for the facade, maybe a couple of years or so after the Meat Loaf Day incident).

So, with a character who is bald and beardless, like Former Supreme Leader, one might expect there to be a lack of ageing clues if he's the same guy as in HtPGhS.
    Yeah, gotta agree with you there.

Still gonna be on the "that's not Jirix" side, though.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I don't think Jirix is the Supreme Leader.

Spoiler
    Show
    I do think we're supposed to think the guy who ascends to Supreme Leader in How the Paladin Got His Scar is the same one Redcloak meets in #149. It's not, strictly speaking, provable.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post

In addition to this, it's possible hobgoblins age slower than goblins.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

5. - Top - End - #545
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My money's on the mysterious green voice, since the orange voice called them "Boss". I haven't waded through this thread to see if anyone else has mentioned this, though... I guess I should.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

6. - Top - End - #546

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    My money's on the mysterious green voice, since the orange voice called them "Boss". I haven't waded through this thread to see if anyone else has mentioned this, though... I guess I should.
    I'm pretty sure its been mentioned but the problem with Kermit is that it was in multiple pages, so it can't be them.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

7. - Top - End - #547

AssassinGuy

I'm pretty sure its been mentioned but the problem with Kermit is that it was in multiple pages, so it can't be them.
    .... Wait. Are we counting multiple physical pages, or multiple pages online?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

8. - Top - End - #548

Both the green and orange voices would be extremely unsatisfying answers since we knew as soon as #1189 went up that there was a mystery there that would keep us guessing until the resolution dropped. Rich hinting "Hey, there's another mystery for you guys to guess about!" would be a total waste of an exciting hint if it turned out to refer to the same mystery.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ettin in the Playground

.... Wait. Are we counting multiple physical pages, or multiple pages online?
    Physical, since he includes the prequels which don't have online strips.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    Both the green and orange voices would be extremely unsatisfying answers since we knew as soon as #1189 went up that there was a mystery there that would keep us guessing until the resolution dropped. Rich hinting "Hey, there's another mystery for you guys to guess about!" would be a total waste of an exciting hint if it turned out to refer to the same mystery.
    Not only unsatisfying, but it would also be a lie on Rich's part. The comment was that someone who has appeared in one page of the story "so far" would become a powerful ally, and that was written in the commentary before page 1178. The green and orange voices appeared on page 1189.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ettin in the Playground

He also said it's something we're not expecting. I'm sure everyone expects the green and orange voices to be important.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Jirix' mom only appears in one page (703), I believe. Maybe she scolds him into giving up Gobbotopia.

13. - Top - End - #553

Quote Originally Posted by Jaziggy View Post
    Jirix' mom only appears in one page (703), I believe. Maybe she scolds him into giving up Gobbotopia.
    Not Jirix's mom.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Barbarian in the Playground

how about Banjulhu?
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

15. - Top - End - #555

BlueWizardGirl

Okay, just had an idea.

If Durkon’s negotiations with Redcloak are going to go anywhere, Thor and Durkon are going to need some allies among the gods who are willing to make concessions. Are there any gods or demigods in the Godsmoot who appear only on one page and seem like possible allies?

EDIT: Scratch that, none of the gods except for Loki, Heimdall and Hel are actually visible on-panel during the godsmoot. Just their high priests.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2020-07-09 at 09:37 PM.

16. - Top - End - #556

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    ...was there anyone from the LG afterlife who could be a hidden ally? Roy and his Archon planned something before he got rezzed, but the only people who fit the bill are Enrique and Tony. Maybe the pink haired elf (or LG version of a succubus?) from the Tavern of Infinite One Night Stands.
    I confess I didn't wade through the full page count (perhaps someone could edit their post on page one to tally suggestions already? The thread is getting bulky). But of the four or five pages I waded through, I think there is something to this. On my last re read, I noticed the comment to Roy's archon, and paid attention for any fulfilment of it. I have not seen any. What possible characters could Roy's Archon have any access to (directly or indirectly) that would fit the single-physical page bill?

ETA: By indirectly, the archon could communicate via somebody through someone like Tony, when a cleric summons a celestial?
    Last edited by Neponde; 2020-07-15 at 01:32 AM.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ettin in the Playground

I will play the long shot (worked out before) and say Animal Messenger caster (panel 1).

They have the same colouration as the Elf leader (who the animal goes to - panel 5), but don't seem to appear in any other pages that I have noted (including seemingly when Redcloak crushes the resistance) - where other members do get reused (including - I think - the blue haired one that tells them to 'send it').

Seems odd to delibrately forget about them after making them somewhat distinctive looking.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2020-07-15 at 06:26 AM.

18. - Top - End - #558

Quote Originally Posted by Neponde View Post
    I confess I didn't wade through the full page count (perhaps someone could edit their post on page one to tally suggestions already? The thread is getting bulky). But of the four or five pages I waded through, I think there is something to this. On my last re read, I noticed the comment to Roy's archon, and paid attention for any fulfilment of it. I have not seen any. What possible characters could Roy's Archon have any access to (directly or indirectly) that would fit the single-physical page bill?

ETA: By indirectly, the archon could communicate via somebody through someone like Tony, when a cleric summons a celestial?
    While I'm pretty sure that this specific hint is unrelated, I can't wait to see what Roy's Archon is going to do.
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

19. - Top - End - #559

While I'm pretty sure that this specific hint is unrelated
    Agreed
    I can't wait to see what Roy's Archon is going to do.
    Agreed. Also, I don't think I've really heard any theories on that plan. At least, none memorable or plausible.

20. - Top - End - #560

Planetar

Agreed. Also, I don't think I've really heard any theories on that plan. At least, none memorable or plausible.
    And so begins another speculative thread?

21. - Top - End - #561

I always forget it, I never take it account when coming up with random ideas for what might happen (same with the planet in the rift but I don’t usually forget that).
    Show

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ettin in the Playground

Agreed

Well it presumedly doesn't involve meeting Roy again, and Roy would not have known about the god stuff at the time, nor about the phylactery or Redcloak for that matter, and Roy's Archon would have little sway to convince any Celestial to help Roy with a vaguely defined plan.

My assumption until the comic shows otherwise is Roy asked them to secure a private place for him before his next stay, close too but seperate from his mother's as he doesn't want any chance of overhearing her activities but would like to visit easily.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

My guess: try to raise Eric. Previous attempts failed because Eric didn't come when called. But with the archon standing by, ready to encourage Eric to accept the call, it might work.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

24. - Top - End - #564

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    My guess: try to raise Eric. Previous attempts failed because Eric didn't come when called. But with the archon standing by, ready to encourage Eric to accept the call, it might work.
    One would assume Eric's mother would be able to help with that, since Eric is in her house and all.

25. - Top - End - #565

Quite possibly you'd need True Resurrection to bring Eric back at this point, as his remains may well have decayed to dust by now.

There were some theories about Roy's Archon's mission, back when book 4 was wrapping up. That was years ago.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    ... as his remains may well have decayed to dust by now.
    I doubt it. It's been about 20 years. There would be bones, at least. And they must have taken some part of the body for the rezz attempts. Maybe a few hairs, or something. The family quite likely kept some for future attempts.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

27. - Top - End - #567

HalflingPirate

I'll nominate Yellow Plume Bodyguard from strip #998

So mulling it over, I was drawn, as many were, to the Godsmoot because there are lots of powerful characters there, it's geographically close to where the Order is now, and those characters would have motivations for following the Order. Of course the Gods are out because they can't interfere, and the high priests are locked in the room. Bodyguards and guests are prohibited from attacking other high priests, but not from leaving, and as I was rereading I noted that in #998 there's a female knight with a yellow helmet plume in the gallery with Roy who says "Destroy the world? Why??"

Every other character on the balcony or in the room appears in different strips*. She's out of frame every other time the action cuts to the balcony- the only Godsmoot bodyguard who appears only once. I don't have any sensible way to sort out whose bodyguard she would be. Her pale yellow tabard looks most like Sunna's high priest garb, but it could be anyone.

*I've seen some use 'page' here as in page in the eventual printed book and some as in web page. I think it's ambiguous enough that either is acceptable for a guess. Yellow Plume Bodyguard does appear on the other book pages that compose strip #998.

28. - Top - End - #568

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    I doubt it. It's been about 20 years. There would be bones, at least. And they must have taken some part of the body for the rezz attempts. Maybe a few hairs, or something. The family quite likely kept some for future attempts.
    Even if Eric did decay to dust by now, you can cast resurrection on dust. The bigger issue to bringing Eric back is both his parents are dead, he's a toddler, and he's already literally in heaven. Who would take care of him, and why would he want to leave?

29. - Top - End - #569

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Even if Eric did decay to dust by now, you can cast resurrection on dust. The bigger issue to bringing Eric back is both his parents are dead, he's a toddler, and he's already literally in heaven. Who would take care of him, and why would he want to leave?
    Indeed; not only is he in Celestia, he's also with his mommy in Celestia. I have a toddler, and I can wager that if one were in a place that made him happy at all times, and he had his mommy to boot, he would probably never want to leave. Getting rezzed is a decision for more mature people, I'd hardly expect a baby to do it. That being said, I have a toddler, so I don't think I'd say a word if Roy wanted to be able to give the little guy a chance to grow up with him. I just don't expect it.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-07-15 at 04:04 PM.

30. - Top - End - #570

HalflingPirate

Indeed; not only is he in Celestia, he's also with his mommy in Celestia. I have a toddler, and I can wager that if one were in a place that made him happy at all times, and he had his mommy to boot, he would probably never want to leave. Getting rezzed is a decision for more mature people, I'd hardly expect a baby to do it. That being said, I have a toddler, so I don't think I'd say a word if Roy wanted to be able to give the little guy a chance to grow up with him. I just don't expect it.
    I have kids too, and had similar thoughts. I'd do anything to get a kid back if I lost one, certainly- but if I knew for certain, having seen with my own eyes, that one of my babies was in an afterlife of eternal bliss... I wouldn't resurrect them, as much as that hurts. I wouldn't think Roy would, either.