New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Did any of the high priests at the um.. conclave? What did they call it? Only appear on one page?
    The Godsmoot. And no, there have been several large shots where they were all pretty much present.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

How about Penelope's unnamed daughter, whose story of disappearance was way back in Strip #816. Age-wise, she'd be about right to be an adventurer.

Obviously, being a descendant of Girard Draketooth means she'd have been subject to the Familicide spell V cast. There could be some wriggle room in there though - resurrection being the obvious choice. Perhaps Penelope hired those adventurers to bring her daughter back alive and they did.

Or maybe Penelope was fooling around and her daughter wasn't a Draketooth save in name. Imagine growing up with the Draketooths and suddenly everyone you've ever known dies. Tragic backstory on a silver platter with a family legacy to protect the gates to live up to.

Her image as an infant clearly has red hair. It doesn't appear to have a tattoo though.
    Last edited by Magesmiley; 2019-12-22 at 10:46 AM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
    How about Penelope's unnamed daughter, whose story of disappearance was way back in Strip #816. Age-wise, she'd be about right to be an adventurer.

Obviously, being a descendant of Girard Draketooth means she'd have been subject to the Familicide spell V cast. There could be some wriggle room in there though - resurrection being the obvious choice. Perhaps Penelope hired those adventurers to bring her daughter back alive and they did.

Or maybe Penelope was fooling around and her daughter wasn't a Draketooth save in name. Imagine growing up with the Draketooths and suddenly everyone you've ever known dies. Tragic backstory on a silver platter with a family legacy to protect the gates to live up to.

Her image as an infant clearly has red hair. It doesn't appear to have a tattoo though.
    1. Penelope met Orrin fifteen years ago, her daughter has to be younger than that.

2. Also Penelope was killed by Familicide, so her daughter had to be a Draketooth because of that.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

2. Also Penelope was killed by Familicide, so her daughter had to be a Draketooth because of that.
    Unless she's adopted?

Or maybe the hospital switched babies ;)
    Last edited by SlashDash; 2019-12-22 at 12:59 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    Unless she's adopted?

Or maybe the hospital switched babies ;)
    If her daughter was adopted, Penelope wouldn't have died. She died because her daughter died.

That being said, the OP of this line of thought implied the "bring daughter back alive" could have been interpreted as "she was raised and then brought back by adventurers she hired."
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-22 at 01:08 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If her daughter was adopted, Penelope wouldn't have died. She died because her daughter died.

That being said, the OP of this line of thought implied the "bring daughter back alive" could have been interpreted as "she was raised and then brought back by adventurers she hired."
    But according to Tarquin she was still planning on hiring adventurers, according to Nale there were more divination séances planned and the pyramid’s invisibility was still up when the Order got there, so...
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #277

MindFlayer

Unless Penelope never knew that she was a Draketooth herself all this time due to her own lineage Telenovela style!

Elan : Dun Dun Dun

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    Unless Penelope never knew that she was a Draketooth herself all this time due to her own lineage Telenovela style!

Elan : Dun Dun Dun
    First, kinda gross.
    Second, how does that even work?
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Hmm, upon re-reading the translations I have no idea what Haley's last secret is. It could be something she's told Elan by now; it could be something even we don't know yet. I still think the "half-celestial" theory is a little out there for me to buy, but the combination of untold secret + the Giant's clue about book 7 + Ivy appearing in one page so far = a better case for it than any I've heard previously.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think Giggles is a possibility. He has many followers, one of which had been proven to have proficiency with eating pie (he even beat Elan by a whole 3 pies!). Not to mention he has ties to an important member of the order (Banjo), which makes his eventual return as an important character all the more likely.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

What about Surtur, God of Fire Giants?

12. - Top - End - #282
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    What about Surtur, God of Fire Giants?
    He's appeared twice, once at the Godsmoot and once back in strip #40.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    He's appeared twice, once at the Godsmoot and once back in strip #40.
    Does speaking through a High Priest really counts as appearing, though?
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I'd say no. IMO a drawing is an appearance. Crayon, flashback, dream, what have you, but if you see them, they appeared.

Tgat said, I doubt on Surtur. Thor needs Durkon because the gods can't directly help.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-23 at 11:46 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say no. IMO a drawing is an appearance. Crayon, flashback, dream, what have you, but if you see them, they appeared.

Tgat said, I doubt on Surtur. Thor needs Durkon because the gods can't directly help.
    But North Pole is a perfect place to find Fire Giants! You wouldn't expect them, there!

I doubt Surtur too, though, He was for the destruction of the world.

But I wanted this pointed out beacuse if we count Surtur as appearing twice, then we'd have to count, say Njord as a appearing once, and I don't agree with that.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'd like to point out that most (not all, but most) goblins from DCF probably appeared only once.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

17. - Top - End - #287

The commentary doesn't say 'helps directly', it says 'becomes an important ally'. And the northern gods could certainly be important allies which help indirectly through their followers. I'm thinking of Fenrir again, who should have some followers around or in Kraagor's tomb. Though his only appearance is his voice at the godmoot - but who's to say that Rich didn't refer to the character appearances thread in his statement?
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

18. - Top - End - #288
    Orc in the Playground

But I wanted this pointed out beacuse if we count Surtur as appearing twice, then we'd have to count, say Njord as a appearing once, and I don't agree with that.
    The Number of Character Appearances thread has always counted speaking-only appearances. This goes back at least to the Fire Sigil Guardian in #52, who is killed by Nale and Hilgya off-panel. Wrecan held to this rule, though I'm not sure if that makes it authoritative enough for The Giant to be considering it when he made his statement. Interesting side-note, Surtur's speech bubble is red when he first appears, but yellow (like the other gods of the North) when speaking through his High Priest.

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    I'd like to point out that most (not all, but most) goblins from DCF probably appeared only once.
    Certainly not Ted and the Goblin who killed Fruit Pie!.
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Maybe the warrior in grey or the caster in green will come and help, to repay V for having possibly saved their lives.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

20. - Top - End - #290

I'll throw my hat on for any of the presumably many Tinkertown gnomes and Firmament dwarves that have appeared in exactly one page, with precedent going speaks>distinctive>foreground>background>splash page. I also request that someone who is more dedicated to this than me catalogue them and see if any actually exist.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

21. - Top - End - #291
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Maybe the warrior in grey or the caster in green will come and help, to repay V for having possibly saved their lives.
    I'd call that kill stealing if I were them

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Considering how important the dragon that V killed became a huge hinge soooooo much later in the story, leading to the death of V's family and then the vengeance kill of all dragons in the line including one of the gate creators it stands to reason that ANY character that showed up on a single page could become the Major character.

Hence, I submit 226
    and 245

from my perusal today for your consideration.
    The King of Somewhere--I don't recall seeing him again and Roy comments that he seems important. The King even covered the costs of their stay at the inn which means he acknowledged their existence off stage.

And the bottlecap guy, who does look like he could be related to Rich somehow and might be a fun cameo but you never know with Rich.

**however I am at a disadvantage because I do not own any of the books yet. So my knowledge of appearances is limited to the online version.
    Last edited by Starla; 2019-12-23 at 11:29 PM.
    Look behind you!

Spoiler
    Show
    Made you look

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

I vote for Kayannara from Start of Darkness. the goblin girl that Redcloak would've went out with if Xykon had not interfered and railroaded him into doing the plan.

we've never seen her in any other page, she was never confirmed to have died, and she is the only goblin that has ever made Redcloak actually rethink carrying The Plan so he can settle down. if anyone can persuade him to actually do so, its her.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starla View Post
    The King of Somewhere--I don't recall seeing him again and Roy comments that he seems important. The King even covered the costs of their stay at the inn which means he acknowledged their existence off stage.
    He did show up again in the first panel of #250.
    ungelic is us

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    He did show up again in the first panel of #250.
    Aww, You are right I totally missed that, thanks. I am now on 535 where the King of Nowhere is shown. Fun that he actually looks enough like Roy for it to be plausible that everyone believed him when he said he was King of Nowhere. Does he show up again? Did we ever meet/see the King of Anywhere?
    Look behind you!

Spoiler
    Show
    Made you look

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My bet is the pair of adventurers in #639: (the warrior in grey and the caster in green).

My second bet is one of the bugbears we see in #1036
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

27. - Top - End - #297

Flumph

Just finished the book, late to the party.

I'm guessing the cleric of the Dark One who first discovered the rift in Start of Darkness (and fell in afterwards). I've been sure the Order is bound to fall in the rift for several books now, and they'll need an ally who can provide exposition when they get there.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not gonna question the theory of rift falling in and surviving, cause I have no clue about anything Snarl related, but I feel like even assuming the Order goes into the rift it won't be that dude. For one, that sounds like something that goes in the climax, not the first half, and second, why would the Giant use the random goblin priest when he has a named important character who might be able to shed some light on what happened to the Scribblers (which will eventually be answered, and btw I'm talking about Kraagor)?
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

29. - Top - End - #299

Flumph

why would the Giant use the random goblin priest when he has a named important character who might be able to shed some light on what happened to the Scribblers (which will eventually be answered, and btw I'm talking about Kraagor)?
    The DO cleric would be the first time the Snarl encountered a quiddity other than its own. That might have given it pause and spared him and explain why he'd be around.

Edit: Sorry, realized I didn't really answer your question. I know the fates of Kraagor and Serini are up in the air, I'm not 100% sure they are alive and even if they are, I'm not sure they'll be used as a "major ally" other than some exposition. Seems too pat, but that's just my opinion. But the way I see things possibly shaking out is:

1. DO cleric falls into the rift way back when. It has the purple quiddity as a result of being a DO cleric. Snarl spares him (curiosity possibly or something else)
    2. The planet in the rift suggests a change in this cycle in the Snarl towards creation, maybe to supplant the gods creation. Possibly prompted by a goblin cleric who would want a paradise for his people. It has to be shown in this book that the gods destroying the world again won't work. The Snarl has shifted gears. The stakes increase.
    3. The Snarl does kill others at the rift lacking the quiddity (Kraagor, Mijung, the minions around the snarl at the end of book 5, etc). The Order will survive after losing the Xykon/Redcloak battle early in book 1 because they were hit with one of Redcloak's spells before they were tossed into the rift. The Snarl will spare them.
    4. They meet up with Rando the DO Cleric on the other side who provides them with exposition as well as (crucially) the goblin POV, which the order will need to come to terms with Redcloak in the end. Somehow this all ties into however the climax of book 7 goes down.

Obviously there are missing details, I don't know how the ending of Rich's story will work out, but that's the basic outline of what I was thinking. Just my first contribution to the crazy theory pile.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2019-12-26 at 10:42 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300

Something to remember re: any goblin from the prequels - SoD was a long time ago, and goblin lifespan isn't that long (something like half a human's - Redcloak's explicitly an exception, his cape keeps his aging paused)