New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Something to remember re: any goblin from the prequels - SoD was a long time ago, and goblin lifespan isn't that long (something like half a human's - Redcloak's explicitly an exception, his cape keeps his aging paused)
    Well, actually the power of the Dark One keeps his aging paused through the cape. And if a god+ level being created from the powers of four pantheons found something totally unique that it hadn't seen in the sum total of the millions (billions?) of years of its creation, wouldn't it keep it alive? Just saying it's a problem, but far from an insurmountable one.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2019-12-27 at 12:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

The Serfway sandwich artisan
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    Obviously it's the Displacer Beasts!
    No, they appeared twice.

They only appeared on one occasion, but they appeared twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    The three prostitutes
    They will come back as one three headed prostitute. That's in one of the splat books, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    My vote is for Roy's understudy, who appears only in #613, since Roy was sick that day.
    Roy was more than just sick, he was dead that day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    But Pan is neither mentioned nor shown.

All of the ones listed, and shown to die, are major gods in the Greek Pantheon.
    The comic also doesn't show us Uranus; which I think is the right call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    And if a god+ level being created from the powers of four pantheons found something totally unique that it hadn't seen in the sum total of the millions (billions?) of years of its creation, wouldn't it keep it alive?
    If the Snarl is a thinking creature maybe, and maybe it's just so freaked out my the new thing it kills the cleric because it's unique.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    No, they appeared twice.

They only appeared on one occasion, but they appeared twice.
    The quote is something like "only appeared on one page". So a character can appear as many times as there are panels on a page, so long as they don't appear on any other pages.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #304

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    So a character can appear as many times as there are panels on a page
    or more, in this case; 20 appearances per 11 panels, each.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

It will seem obvious once the character is revealed that the answer is the CPPD sketch artist who was fired for his terrible renditions of Cliff Port's worst mass murders since, well, ever.

(I mean, really! Bumps in the middle of the face? What's up with that?)

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    The quote is something like "only appeared on one page". So a character can appear as many times as there are panels on a page, so long as they don't appear on any other pages.
    You've missed a joke there. In the first place some people use blue text to indicate sarcasm. Anything in blue is something the poster did not mean literally. In the second place, they are displacer beasts. They project a false image. They appear twice. Think about it.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

7. - Top - End - #307
    Halfling in the Playground

Psteve has been raised :)

8. - Top - End - #308
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JustinKase View Post
    Psteve has been raised :)
    ... and has used crazy psionic stuff to cross continuities! It all makes sense now!

9. - Top - End - #309

The character needs to either have enough power to be able to be useful to the Order of the Stick, or must have some resource that the Order needs. Poor Tony fits the bill, except Eugene was able to overpower him.

I keep thinking about the Djinni that interviewed Celia back in Career Girl.

There are similar characters, such as (1.67x1015)Q seenhere

But my vote is for the infernal that passed Ms. Tiamat's call off to the directors in 667. This infernal is in the perfect position to betray the IFCC by sharing information with the order - all it takes is Sabine sending her on a mission.

Added in edit:

Looking at the representative of the "four governments" from the strip with Daigo and Kazumi's wedding, I just noticed that we can see the breath of the older man in the red robe. Although Hinjo and Elan are not wearing heavier clothing, that detail still suggest that the climate around Red Robe Guy is cold. A government from a cold place could easily fit into the "must be useful/have some resource" role in the ice and snow. Alas, his is a Southern country, so he is from the wrong side of the globe. But you never know, they could be helping out.
    Last edited by Coventry; 2019-12-28 at 01:51 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Coventry View Post
    Alas, his is a Southern country, so he is from the wrong side of the globe. But you never know, they could be helping out.
    Do we know for sure the Oots world is a globe? Maybe the Gods got lazy when they were drawing the map and just had the bottom wrap around to the top, so the southernmost nations are actually very close to the north pole.
    Last edited by MartianInvader; 2019-12-28 at 03:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MartianInvader View Post
    Do we know for sure the Oots world is a globe?
    Yes.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #312

Quote Originally Posted by Coventry View Post
    Looking at the representative of the "four governments" from the strip with Daigo and Kazumi's wedding, I just noticed that we can see the breath of the older man in the red robe. Although Hinjo and Elan are not wearing heavier clothing, that detail still suggest that the climate around Red Robe Guy is cold.
    They are in the throne room of a white (ice) dragon.

The Emperor (and the viser) are shown in SS&DT. A map of the whole southern continent is shown in GDGU, which (combined with the space shot) shows that the realm of the dragon is tropical.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    The best way to combat this is to actually keep track of who guessed what.
    I'd like to register my guesses. 1. Someone from the Mechane crew; 2. Haley's imaginary personality with green hair and green dress in #381.

Is there another list of guesses besides http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...php?p=24308097 by the way?

14. - Top - End - #314

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    They are in the throne room of a white (ice) dragon.

The Emperor (and the viser) are shown in SS&DT. A map of the whole southern continent is shown in GDGU, which (combined with the space shot) shows that the realm of the dragon is tropical.
    Aw, bummer. Oh, well ... there went that idea.

15. - Top - End - #315

DwarfFighterGuy

Mia Starshine is probably the most likely among characters listed under "named character, one appearance" in the # of appearances thread, but I think "orange voice guy" and "rich forgot that Serini's been in more than one panel. Quite a few Northern gods also qualify and would be plausible.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Bugbear in the Playground

I still support Ivy over Mia due to her aliveness, which I find to be a massive win. Also, any theory resting on Rich not remembering that Serini was in 7 pages (including several in the online comic) isn’t going to be looked upon fondly by me (and by that I mean, guessing based on assuming the clue is incorrect seems ridiculous and I don’t understand why people keep doing it).
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

He (it?) appeared in well more than one page, but Roy's Archon still has a plan that hasn't been executed yet. (If it involves Tony the Celestial then maybe that's where this points.)

18. - Top - End - #318

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    The DO cleric would be the first time the Snarl encountered a quiddity other than its own. That might have given it pause and spared him and explain why he'd be around.

Edit: Sorry, realized I didn't really answer your question. I know the fates of Kraagor and Serini are up in the air, I'm not 100% sure they are alive and even if they are, I'm not sure they'll be used as a "major ally" other than some exposition. Seems too pat, but that's just my opinion. But the way I see things possibly shaking out is:

1. DO cleric falls into the rift way back when. It has the purple quiddity as a result of being a DO cleric. Snarl spares him (curiosity possibly or something else)
    The DO cleric wouldn't have a purple quiddity. All creations in the mortal world have the quiddity combo of the blue-yellow-red, reflecting their creators. Unless the Dark One has created his own mortals - and there's no indication that he has - they wouldn't have his quiddity as part of their being. The goblinoids were all created by the existing crop of gods as part of this world - worshipping the Dark One wouldn't change their innate essence.

It's also unlikely that the Dark One has made his own creations, as Thor says anything created out of one quiddity alone is ephemeral and not-lasting. It's not "real" enough.

Durkon and Minrah are clerics of the Northern gods, but their quiddities are still CMYK, not yellow. The same goes for any Dark One clerics as well.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Firbolg in the Playground

Psteve, obviously.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

20. - Top - End - #320

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    He (it?) appeared in well more than one page, but Roy's Archon still has a plan that hasn't been executed yet. (If it involves Tony the Celestial then maybe that's where this points.)
    Good point. I had forgotten about that.

21. - Top - End - #321

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    The DO cleric wouldn't have a purple quiddity. All creations in the mortal world have the quiddity combo of the blue-yellow-red, reflecting their creators. Unless the Dark One has created his own mortals - and there's no indication that he has - they wouldn't have his quiddity as part of their being. The goblinoids were all created by the existing crop of gods as part of this world - worshipping the Dark One wouldn't change their innate essence.
    It's true the goblin himself would not contain the purple quiddity as the humanoid races were created by the B-Y-R pantheons. Which is why it's important that it's a goblin *cleric* of the Dark One. The cleric's spells channels the Dark One's powers, which is from the purple quiddity. This is directly stated by Thor and the reason why they only need Redcloak to participate instead of an alliance with the DO himself. So while the DO cleric himself is not made from purple quiddity, his spells and spell effects are. If the DO cleric had a spell cast or a persistent effect like a protection spell, or even a magic item that was created with clerical magic it would have the purple quiddity. That's why I speculated that the Order might survive being tossed through a rift if they were hit by one of Recloak's spells first like a particularly powerful paralyze spell for example (Assuming the Snarl is either intrigued by the purple quiddity or can't see it yada yada yada.....).

Edit: Ok, I went back to Start of Darkness, page 41 and Redcloak also states that the DO Cleric cast several divination spells on the rift. Those spells certainly would have been of the purple quiddity. The Cleric was then pulled into the rift (Possibly fell or stuck his head in, but given context I'm thinking pulled in). Not killed by Claw Tentacles sprouting out of the rift as in the crayon recap in Book 2 or the end of Book 5. That to me bolsters the idea that the Snarl was directly introduced to the purple quiddity at that moment and was curious about what it was.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2020-01-02 at 01:21 AM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

It's also unlikely that the Dark One has made his own creations, as Thor says anything created out of one quiddity alone is ephemeral and not-lasting. It's not "real" enough.
    He seems to have created the Crimson Mantle, though. Or at the very least, it was made through clerical magic using his quiddity. I can't imagine how it could have came into being in any other way.

New crackpot theory: Redcloak sacrifices his life to defeat The Snarl by throwing the Crimson Mantle into the rift, thus sealing it with purple quiddity and instantly aging himself to the point where he dies of old age.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    He seems to have created the Crimson Mantle, though. Or at the very least, it was made through clerical magic using his quiddity. I can't imagine how it could have came into being in any other way.
    I think the Crimson Mantle is a physical object (e.g. made of the regular three quiddities) that just happens to be infused with the Dark One's power. Which I suppose technically means it might actually be a FOUR-quiddity object, which would be an interesting twist!

24. - Top - End - #324
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

I like the idea of it having something to do with what Roy planned with his archon, is there any more foreshadowing stuff like that that could work out? I dont know why but I always assumed the archon was supposed to set up a colaboration between the higher planes to provide help to the order.

Otherwise what other factions has the order (or team evil) interacted with that could provide strong enough characters that can provide help to the order at this point (it would need to be someone strong either by levels/own power or with the resourses to add to the table)

I agree that GreenVoice and OrangeVoice are related to them probable maybe one of them is the character we are looking for, but I would think they appeared somewhere before at least once so that the speculation makes sense.

I would also argue that the Oracle might be sending someone to help, since he probably doesnt want the world to end and neither does Tiamat probably, since she is shown to try and convince the Dark One to help, and still has to cash all those good dragons that the Fiends promised her in exchange for the familicided Black dragons.

Lastly, has there being any transcendental Halfling besides Belkar and Serini? All the other major races (and the ones that integrate the Order) have had some major rol/appearence in the involvement of the story, even gnomes had their city shown, but halflings havent shown much protagonism, besides the rogue guild guy that negotiated with Celia. Maybe with Serinis legacy come some Halflings that add to Belkars character arc? It also works well with the sneakiness of the voices approach to the paladins. Okay I thought some more and I like the idea of this, all the other members of the Order have had their families and past shown on the comic, but not Belkar, do we know where is he from? Maybe we will get to know why wasnt he Jolly.

(edit, because I was thinking in races and not families and that makes more sense)
    Last edited by Pampukin; 2020-01-02 at 02:38 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325

Durkon and Minrah are clerics of the Northern gods, but their quiddities are still CMYK, not yellow.
    So, the Dark One is the key?

26. - Top - End - #326

SolithKnightGuy

Re: Belkar
    It’s been stated that his attitude is due to his upbringing but that showing it would undercut the role his character plays - the comic murderhobo player who is only tolerated because the group needs players
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post

New crackpot theory: Redcloak sacrifices his life to defeat The Snarl by throwing the Crimson Mantle into the rift, thus sealing it with purple quiddity and instantly aging himself to the point where he dies of old age.
    I haven't thought in terms of sealing the rift, but I've definitely thought about an ending where Redcloak realizes his life's work is for nothing, so he just takes off the Mantle and lets himself die.

Similar to

Spoiler: Gamey Throney, the TV show
    Show
    Melisandre walking out into the snow after the battle at Winterfell with the Night King.

28. - Top - End - #328

Durkon and Minrah are clerics of the Northern gods, but their quiddities are still CMYK, not yellow.
    Uh... which gods have the Cyan, Magenta and Black quiddities? :p

29. - Top - End - #329
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I haven't thought in terms of sealing the rift, but I've definitely thought about an ending where Redcloak realizes his life's work is for nothing, so he just takes off the Mantle and lets himself die.
    That'll take a goodly while--taking the mantle off just lets him age naturally as far as we can tell, considering we've seen him quite happily without it (see strip #149).

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    That'll take a goodly while--taking the mantle off just lets him age naturally as far as we can tell, considering we've seen him quite happily without it (see strip #149).
    Good catch. Crackpot theory withdrawn.

If 5e-style “attunement” rules were in play, I’d retort that he could still be attuned to the Mantle while not wearing it, but this is 3.5, so I don’t think that works. I suppose something in the Mantle’s descriptive text could say that if the Mantle is ever destroyed, any Bearer who has benefited from it instantly transitions to his or her ‘natural’ age, but that’s a pretty flimsy strand to hang a prediction on.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.