New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    You know - while I don't entirely agree with your reasoning - the more I think about it, the more I like it. The next book is gonna be all about the Rift - and if there is some secret about the Rift, then that is one possible character who is positioned to provide that exposition. That goblin cleric is the only character that was depicted as falling into the Rift, as opposed to be torn apart by the Snarl. So ... maybe he's not dead.

So yeah, I'm putting my vote in favor of Mr. Flumph's idea: that unnamed Dark One Cleric from Start of the Darkness. Clarence Darko, I'll call him.

If for no other reason than that I appreciate his rigorous, scientific approach in his study of the Rift, as demonstrated in his use of the animal test subjects. I always have respect for a researcher.
    Even if he survived and ended up on RiftWorld, wouldn't he be dead of old age by now?

2. - Top - End - #362

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Depends on if time passes at the same rate. It could be like a fairy hill where a night there is a century here.

I'm with DapperWarlock in that whoever shows up will do so because the IFCC is using them as a timeshare.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Even if he survived and ended up on RiftWorld, wouldn't he be dead of old age by now?

Magic.

Time magic.

Yeah, that'll work.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

A major character, in D&D that is, which has only appeared in one strip thus far is the beholder in strip #32.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Has anyone else guessed Psteve yet? Because it's obviously Psteve.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThriKreenLich View Post
    A major character, in D&D that is, which has only appeared in one strip thus far is the beholder in strip #32.
    No! They're called "Floating Eyes"
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

7. - Top - End - #367
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Has anyone else guessed Psteve yet? Because it's obviously Psteve.
    Hroşila, Justin Kase, and Renegade Paladin so far.

I've yet to see anyone rally around my pick of Mr. Belvedere, despite his obvious involvement in Eugene's blood oath of vengeance against Xykon.
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    Hroşila, Justin Kase, and Renegade Paladin so far.

I've yet to see anyone rally around my pick of Mr. Belvedere, despite his obvious involvement in Eugene's blood oath of vengeance against Xykon.
    Dang. And I've even been reading through the thread as it develops. That really is unpardonable.

I'll join the Mr. Belvedere bandwagon if you'll agree to forget my lapse of memory.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I'll join the Mr. Belvedere bandwagon if you'll agree to forget my lapse of memory.
    What lapse of memory?
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    He's probably died of old age by now. (Assuming the implication on the next page is that Eugene only knocked him out, rather than killing him.)
    Last edited by DapperWarlock; 2020-01-21 at 03:30 AM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post

Magic.

Time magic.

Yeah, that'll work.
    He could've become the Snarls Chosen One. Narratively unlikely as an allied Snarl negates Durkon's mission, Redcloaks arc and about 90% of the dramatic tension in the story.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I dont know if it has been suggested yet

But the wizard that taught roy's dad have only appeared for one page if Im not wrong

13. - Top - End - #373

SolithKnightGuy

He was killed by xykon and appears more than once in SoD I think
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

14. - Top - End - #374
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    He was killed by xykon and appears more than once in SoD I think
    Fyron Pucebuckle appears thrice in SoD, as well as once in the main comic. Disqualified.
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

15. - Top - End - #375

In strip 1144, there is a bugbear killing one of Thor's worshippers. At first I assumed that was Oona, but the green in the face mask isn't right for her. What if that is a rival? One willing to help the Order?

16. - Top - End - #376
    Dwarf in the Playground

I, for one, can't wait to see how Goblin Dan and his Hydra Head Barbecue Hut rise to prominence and help the OOTS save the world!

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Girl Wonder View Post
    I, for one, can't wait to see how Goblin Dan and his Hydra Head Barbecue Hut rise to prominence and help the OOTS save the world!
    Probably won't work. He appears to be present in both 326 and 705.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    The one in #705 is his business rival, Goblin Stan, who serves burgers instead of barbecue.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

I always assumed that wasn't Dan but an employee in his growing business, but now I realize the clothes match perfectly so it's most likely Dan the legend himself indeed. Heh, that's great.
    ungelic is us

20. - Top - End - #380

Quote Originally Posted by Coventry View Post
    In strip 1144, there is a bugbear killing one of Thor's worshippers. At first I assumed that was Oona, but the green in the face mask isn't right for her. What if that is a rival? One willing to help the Order?
    I actually really like this guess, for a couple reasons:

1) Appears on one panel (far as we know for sure as we don't see the face, but it's a reasonable assumption)

2) Is already in the North Pole area; Rich doesn't need to do the logistical work of getting Mystery Ally to where the Order will be, because the Ally is already there!

3) Presents a number of logical reasons why this Mystery Ally would be willing to help the Order (rival of Oona, random Bugbear upset that Team Evil is rapidly depleting the Monsters in the caves, and/or doesn't think The Dark One's plan is worth the risk, especially given Oona's own words that TDO isn't as central to Bugbear society as other goblinoids).

4) Their face being behind a mask allows Rich to pull off a dramatic identity reveal, which is always fun!

Yeah, I like this guess a lot, actually!

21. - Top - End - #381
    Halfling in the Playground

Isn't Goblin Dan the old man with a beard in 326 who tells his rags-to-riches story, and the one in chef's attire a (senior?) employee?

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Nith View Post
    Isn't Goblin Dan the old man with a beard in 326 who tells his rags-to-riches story, and the one in chef's attire a (senior?) employee?
    Goblin Dan is the young goblin who watches them leave the unconscious hydra. We then have a flash forward to the future, when an old Goblin Dan is telling someone, "And that's how I earned my first million." This is plainly the future, as he couldn't have earned a million selling hydra heads in 326 when the hydra had just become available.

The goblin in the later strip is in the same clothes (under the chef's gear) as BOTH goblin Dan images (present and future), and is about the right age (comparable to the first one).

It could be an employee, but then why the same clothes as the boss under the chef's hat, and how likely is it that goblin Dan has already franchised when it's still well under a year since he could have possibly started.

23. - Top - End - #383

MindFlayer

Not sure if mentioned before, but when Thor gives the explanation on the whole belief \ worship etc
    We see a Bugbear (I assume?) dressed in a similar manner to Oona but has a ponytail.

24. - Top - End - #384

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    Not sure if mentioned before, but when Thor gives the explanation on the whole belief \ worship etc
    We see a Bugbear (I assume?) dressed in a similar manner to Oona but has a ponytail.
    Yep, in strip 1144.

25. - Top - End - #385

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    Yeah, it was mentioned; I really like the guess for the reasons below:

Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post

1) Appears on one panel (far as we know for sure as we don't see the face, but it's a reasonable assumption)

2) Is already in the North Pole area; Rich doesn't need to do the logistical work of getting Mystery Ally to where the Order will be, because the Ally is already there!

3) Presents a number of logical reasons why this Mystery Ally would be willing to help the Order (rival of Oona, random Bugbear upset that Team Evil is rapidly depleting the Monsters in the caves, and/or doesn't think The Dark One's plan is worth the risk, especially given Oona's own words that TDO isn't as central to Bugbear society as other goblinoids).

4) Their face being behind a mask allows Rich to pull off a dramatic identity reveal, which is always fun!
    Last edited by The Aboleth; 2020-02-22 at 09:39 AM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
    The wording on the Giant's statement is interesting. It could mean this character's never appeared in any of the prequel stories. It could also mean that they've exclusively appeared in one of the prequel stories. Probably the former, since Start of Darkness and the like aren't intended to be mandatory reading to follow the plot of the comic, but still, interesting.
    It could be someone who appeared in a prequel story but whose appearance there isn't important to understanding their appearance now (ie. they're introduced as if they're a new character, and the previous appearance is just an easter-egg thing for people who read the prequels.)

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

After Julia appeared in the last two strips, I'm throwing on another long shot on her blonde friend in #257. (Her other friend also appears in #256.)

Not very likely, but one more to throw out there just in case.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Pixie in the Playground

After years of lurking, I had to create an account just because nobody brought up the only clear answer: Belkar's Shoulder Angel!

Seriously though, think about it — the other books have done deep dives on every other character, but Belkar has (until this last book) remained purely a comic relief character/general jerk. With him slated to die, it only stands to reason that we should get a little more of a character study of him this book. He's freshly caught up on the plot, he's being a team player, he's (maybe) not even Evil anymore! Obviously the shoulder angel will be an important ally in that he will prevent Belkar from back-slipping and convince him to step up and be a true team player.

This started out as silly, but now I've convinced myself that this must be so.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Laigrek View Post
    Belkar [snip]he's (maybe) not even Evil anymore!
    Still Evil.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

30. - Top - End - #390
    Pixie in the Playground

Still Evil.
    Yeah, but that was, like, two whole days ago!