New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Easy: "An appearance is when a character punches another character through a wall."

Technically this means most of the characters in the comic haven't made a single appearance, but it would be a definition that if applied consistently would mean the MitD had only one.
    I dunno about that, Mr Scruffy has done it, between Thog and Greg I think Roy has done it, I think Thog broke a wall with Roy, did Greg do it to Belkar?
    Last edited by halfeye; 2020-03-07 at 10:58 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #452

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

No, Belkar was blasted out a window. Haley was blasted through the panel wall by Tsukiko, though.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default mystery voices 1189 speculation possible spoilers

So im speculating that the two mystery voices are dragons.
    For one: there have been multiple references to Tiamat knowing the dark one and also being involved with the 3 fiends. The 3 fiends even hinted to this. The gods think Tiamat is up to something.
    For two: they used dragonblood poison
    For three: Look at the way they talk and how they fight but are still lawful and uphold their agreements.
    For four: Dragons lifespan and dragon lore would explain "its been fun huh?" "whats that?" "existing"

4. - Top - End - #454

Default Re: mystery voices 1189 speculation possible spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
    So im speculating that the two mystery voices are dragons.
    For one: there have been multiple references to Tiamat knowing the dark one and also being involved with the 3 fiends. The 3 fiends even hinted to this. The gods think Tiamat is up to something.
    For two: they used dragonblood poison
    For three: Look at the way they talk and how they fight but are still lawful and uphold their agreements.
    For four: Dragons lifespan and dragon lore would explain "its been fun huh?" "whats that?" "existing"
    This does make a lot of sense. From the way Lien, O-Chul and their weapons were floating I was kind of assuming the red speech bubble guy was something with four or more arms, but he/she could have just been carrying the weapons on their back.

... though that's also assuming they're climbing the cliff-side, rather than flying. Which if they had been the whole time, I'd think Rich would have drawn the paladins' capes blowing in the wind from their wing-flaps, like with the zombie dragon Xykon was riding on back in Book 3. But maybe he was worried that would give it away.
    Spoiler: Sig Art
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it

5. - Top - End - #455
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DapperWarlock View Post
    This does make a lot of sense. From the way Lien, O-Chul and their weapons were floating I was kind of assuming the red speech bubble guy was something with four or more arms, but he/she could have just been carrying the weapons on their back.

... though that's also assuming they're climbing the cliff-side, rather than flying. Which if they had been the whole time, I'd think Rich would have drawn the paladins' capes blowing in the wind from their wing-flaps, like with the zombie dragon Xykon was riding on back in Book 3. But maybe he was worried that would give it away.
    Assuming that, if they're flying, they're flying by wings.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #456

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Assuming that, if they're flying, they're flying by wings.
    This just gives me the delightful mental image of a Large dragon riding a Broom of Flying.
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it

7. - Top - End - #457
    Bugbear in the Playground

I thought we’d figured out that they were Kermit and Scooter? Wasn’t that the consensus?
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

8. - Top - End - #458

I thought we’d figured out that they were Kermit and Scooter? Wasn’t that the consensus?
    And here I thought we'd all agreed it was Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post
    Can anybody come up with a definition of "appearance" which, consistently applied, yields exactly one (1) appearance for MitD?
    appear
    verb (used without object)
    to come into sight; become visible: A man suddenly appeared in the doorway.

As far as I recall, MITD only "appeared" in this strip.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

10. - Top - End - #460
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Wow, the level of sophistry required for Rich to use that definition would be incredible.

11. - Top - End - #461

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    appear

Unless you want to claim the dictionary definition was intended to state the man teleported in, then MitD still "appears" by that definition multiple times.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Wait, you didn't know that Kermit and Scooter are dragons?

13. - Top - End - #463

As of the last Darths and Droids arc, it has been revealed that they are droids disguised as clones.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

appear
    1a : to be or come in sight when the sun appears on the horizon
    b : to show up He appears promptly at eight each day.

5 : to come into public view a performer who first appeared on a television variety show The book appeared in print a few years ago.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/appear

It's the fifth definition (in this particular list, but something like it will be in all complete lists of the definitions of "appear") that applies to the MitD in the circus.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2020-03-12 at 01:27 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

15. - Top - End - #465

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    As of the last Darths and Droids arc, it has been revealed that they are droids disguised as clones.
    No, Scooter is one but Kermit is Yoda
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

No, Scooter is one but Kermit is Yoda
    I thought Kermit was Teen Yoda.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

17. - Top - End - #467

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I thought Kermit was Teen Yoda.
    Well yes (I think, he's a younger clone possessed by Yoda's midichlorians), but that's still being Yoda.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ettin in the Playground

Has anyone yet suggested the high priest/priestess of Tiamat? We've probably only seen him (or her or it) once (and no, I have no idea which of these many high-priests worships Tiamat), and they'd have a decent reason for wanting to help the party end the threat of the Snarl forever.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

19. - Top - End - #469

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Has anyone yet suggested the high priest/priestess of Tiamat? We've probably only seen him (or her or it) once (and no, I have no idea which of these many high-priests worships Tiamat), and they'd have a decent reason for wanting to help the party end the threat of the Snarl forever.
    As would the high priest of any god who voted no, presumably. Assuming they're not also sequestered like the Northern high priests.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Well yes (I think, he's a younger clone possessed by Yoda's midichlorians), but that's still being Yoda.
    My apologies. I thought it was now standard practice to refer to Yodas of different age categories as separate entities (a la Baby Yoda and Teen Yoda).
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Firbolg in the Playground

appear

Actually, under that definition as written the monster in the darkness has never appeared
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-03-13 at 03:09 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

The adventuring party from #816 seventeenth panel, which raced the Vector Legion for the Lost Treasure of Sdigiji, they have only that one appearance, right? They once had an interest in defeating the Vector Legion, so they might want to try again. They can thus be allies with Elan. That's four more potential characters who could work. I don't think they're the solution, and I'm not changing my earlier guesses, I just want to bring them up because it doesn't look like anyone mentioned them in the thread yet.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    The adventuring party from #816 seventeenth panel, which raced the Vector Legion for the Lost Treasure of Sdigiji, they have only that one appearance, right? They once had an interest in defeating the Vector Legion, so they might want to try again. They can thus be allies with Elan. That's four more potential characters who could work. I don't think they're the solution, and I'm not changing my earlier guesses, I just want to bring them up because it doesn't look like anyone mentioned them in the thread yet.
    As you suggest, they seem like long shots. Failing when going up against Tarquin tends to be a thing one doesn't end up living through. Even if they didn't die in that dungeon, I'm sure once he got the treasure, he'd swing back around to punish them for defying him. But technically possible nonetheless.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    As you suggest, they seem like long shots. Failing when going up against Tarquin tends to be a thing one doesn't end up living through.
    True. But other useres in the thread have already suggested candidates that we know are dead.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Dwarf in the Playground

This Hobgoblin Ninja only appeared the once...

26. - Top - End - #476
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Whispri View Post
    This Hobgoblin Ninja only appeared the once...
    Yes, but in so doing, he incurred the dishonor of being spotted and was thus required to commit ritual self-disembowelment.

Difficult to be a ninja. No one ever shows up to your birthday parties, for one.

27. - Top - End - #477

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Difficult to be a ninja. No one ever shows up to your birthday parties, for one.
    Ninja Sex Party taught me that even being friends with a ninja is rough. Anyone who shows up to your birthday party ends up horribly murdered.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #478

Quote Originally Posted by DapperWarlock View Post
    Ninja Sex Party taught me that even being friends with a ninja is rough. Anyone who shows up to your birthday party ends up horribly murdered.
    How did the ninjas manage to organize a sex party, then?

29. - Top - End - #479

How did the ninjas manage to organize a sex party, then?
    One of them gave up the Way of the Ninja because he "just wanted to dance."

It's unclear exactly why Ninja Brian keeps following him.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #480

I only semi-jokingly nominate one of Treeslayers. They'll be ranging outward from the dwarven lands in search of trees, and they sure look like they could handle themselves in a fight.