New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Has anyone suggested the bureaucrat celestial (Archon?) who tried to warn Roy about Vaarsuvius' deal with the IFCC in Comic #664? She has a distinctive character design, some knowledge of what's going on in the plot, and Roy's Archon has to work with somebody in the Upper Planes to pull off whatever plan it and Roy cooked up off-panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

2. - Top - End - #482
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    Has anyone suggested the bureaucrat celestial (Archon?) who tried to warn Roy about Vaarsuvius' deal with the IFCC in Comic #664?
    Probably a Deva, given that she matches Roy's Bureaucratic Deva, except for hair colour.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0487.html

Devas can be of any Good alignment - they have the Good subtype but not the Lawful or Chaotic subtypes. They're a kind of Angel:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm

Besides the Astral Deva, there's a couple of others in the Fiend Folio.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-04-08 at 09:33 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I even checked 487 to make sure it wasn't the same character, but totally glossed over the word "Deva." Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

4. - Top - End - #484
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    I only semi-jokingly nominate one of Treeslayers. They'll be ranging outward from the dwarven lands in search of trees, and they sure look like they could handle themselves in a fight.
    I'll only semi-jokingly suggest taking a look at the landscape to determine what a Treeslayer is definitely not going to be looking for here at the North Pole.

(Though I suppose one could be intentionally wasting time to give the others the chance to wipe out that last vampire, or they could just have gotten ridiculously lost.)
    Spoiler: Sig Art
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it

5. - Top - End - #485

"Should've taken a left turn at Albuquerque..."

6. - Top - End - #486
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DapperWarlock View Post
    I'll only semi-jokingly suggest taking a look at the landscape to determine what a Treeslayer is definitely not going to be looking for here at the North Pole.
    The Dwarven lands are already pretty far North, and probably denuded of any large trees given the anti-tree proclivities of the worshipers of Thor. It's not totally out of the question that the fastest way to reach the nearest forest of any real size involves passing through the lands around the pole.

Also Shoulder Pads Guy is taken.
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2020-04-09 at 08:58 AM.

7. - Top - End - #487

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    The Dwarven lands are already pretty far North, and probably denuded of any large trees given the anti-tree proclivities of the worshipers of Thor. It's not totally out of the question that the fastest way to reach the nearest forest of any real size involves passing through the lands around the pole.
    I actually had a look at the map to check, and this is... a perfectly reasonable idea. The closest marked forest to Dwarven lands actually looks like it could wrap around to the other side of the globe from whatever city they may have left from. Well done.
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it

8. - Top - End - #488
    Dwarf in the Playground

I realise there are at least two very good reasons to believe it couldn't possibly be her, but nevertheless: Wanda Firebaugh. Set a necromancer to catch a lich and all that. Plus the Order has a short person wielding what appears to be a hammer of thunderbolts in their midst, so who could be more appropriate?

And now I'm wondering how you'd stat her in d&d...

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Yes, but in so doing, he incurred the dishonor of being spotted and was thus required to commit ritual self-disembowelment.

Difficult to be a ninja. No one ever shows up to your birthday parties, for one.
    Doesn't that imply that the poor ninja waitress/food delivery technician(who also only appeared the once)...

9. - Top - End - #489
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Whispri View Post
    I realise there are at least two very good reasons to believe it couldn't possibly be her, but nevertheless: Wanda Firebaugh.
    Well, if we're going to start including people who haven't ever appeared in OotS in even 1 page, that kind of expands the scope a bit too much, you know? I could legitimately say in that case that Sir Humphrey Appleby from "Yes, Minister" was going to be the one.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Well, if we're going to start including people who haven't ever appeared in OotS in even 1 page, that kind of expands the scope a bit too much, you know? I could legitimately say in that case that Sir Humphrey Appleby from "Yes, Minister" was going to be the one.
    Wanda's had an appearance, a cameo in Haleo & Julelan, page seven, panel seven. She's even mentioned in multiple character indexes.
    Last edited by Whispri; 2020-04-14 at 03:40 PM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Doesn't that imply that the poor ninja waitress/food delivery technician(who also only appeared the once)...
    She wasn't on ninja duty at the time, so it shouldn't count*.
    Also, she's going to ninja school. They probably give the kids some leeway on those things until graduation day.
    Then it's "murder your way to top of the class" time.

*Besides, interacting with your customers- the non-euphemistic ones- and/or employers to get your missions kinda requires being seen by them.
    If only so they don't talk to an empty room.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

12. - Top - End - #492

Wanda's had an appearance, a cameo in Haleo & Julelan, page seven, panel seven. She's even mentioned in multiple character indexes.
    That is outside of the main continuity. The hint specifies they've been in one page of "the story so far," which I believe would exclude Sticktales.

(... because if it didn't, my guess would've been the Ice King from Adventure Time, who also cameo'd in that ballroom scene.)
    Show

13. - Top - End - #493

GreataxeFighterGirl

Orange-voiced entity.

It would be the most epic troll answer of all time.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Orange-voiced entity.

It would be the most epic troll answer of all time.
    I dunno, the "final boss potion vendor" may be more epic, now that the vendor has appeared.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coventry View Post
    I dunno, the "final boss potion vendor" may be more epic, now that the vendor has appeared.
    I think he might be disqualified on grounds of only appearing in Book 7.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

16. - Top - End - #496

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I think he might be disqualified on grounds of only appearing in Book 7.
    The potion vendor may not have appeared in the comic, but he was certainly mentioned early in book 6.

I am still thinking it is the Green Mask bugbear from strip 1144, but I am usually dead wrong about such things.
    Last edited by Coventry; 2020-04-29 at 12:13 AM.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

The bugbear in 1204 only appeared one other time in 1036 and he probably has to be someone important if Redcloak is willing to rendezvous with him. Maybe Redcloak is suspicious about why there are so many marked doors and that scroll has some information about that... what? Rich said we will see an important ally but he didn't say whose ally

Or maybe that bugbear is/works with the shaman and wants to hear about what Durkon has to say about the plan with The Dark One.

18. - Top - End - #498

In that case, I would guess the scroll is a map of the doors, and the bugbear is conducting an independent audit by marking off the doors Team Evil is hitting. MITD's scheme is about to be exposed.

19. - Top - End - #499

I'm going to be extremely proud of myself if this bugbear is indeed the ally Rich was talking about and it turns out I accurately predicted something for once in my life.

As for what shape that will take from this point on, my knee-jerk idea is that Redcloak could ignore or reject Durkon's deal and just walk away, but the bugbear will talk with Durkon like, "Y'know what I'm reasonable, we're not big fans of Xykon here, let me help you guys out." Or something to that effect.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #500
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Exclamation Exactly 1 Page

What, you still want a hint of something specific yet to come? Something you’re not expecting? OK, how about this: Someone who has appeared in exactly one (1) page of the story so far (including all the prequel stories) will become an important ally in the first half of the next book. Good luck figuring that one out.
    I think I might've figured out the character who's going to be, according to Rich in the commentary of Utterly Dwarfed, "an important ally in the first half of the [current] book" who's only appeared once so far... because we just saw him again for the first time in this book. And if I haven't figured it out, then I'm going to just put my money on it on the offchance I'm right.

I think the bugbear with the spikes on his mask seen giving a scroll to Redcloak in Comic #1204 is the shaman Oona has mentioned (once in Comic #1038 and again in #1041), who (at the time of Rich's hint's writing) had only appeared once, in Comic #1036.

I posit that when Durkon tries to negotiate and explain about Thor's plan, Redcloak will naturally be opposed to it and be hostile to Durkon, but the bugbear shaman will be the voice of reason who tries to keep them both civil and working together toward his and Redcloak's common goal of improving things for goblinoid kind.

Has anyone else drawn this conclusion yet? I think it could hold water.
    Last edited by Goosefarble; 2020-06-13 at 04:06 PM.
    >>softly open our mouths in the cold

21. - Top - End - #501

Flumph

Default Re: Exactly 1 Page

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...tire-OOTS-saga
    There's been lots of speculation, see for yourself.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...tire-OOTS-saga
    There's been lots of speculation, see for yourself.
    Honestly, that thread is super frustrating as almost immediately people started proposing characters who had been on more (sometimes significantly more) than one page. Would be nice to see curated list (sort of like in the MitD thread) to guide discussion.

23. - Top - End - #503

Quote Originally Posted by facw View Post
    Would be nice to see curated list (sort of like in the MitD thread) to guide discussion.
    Yeah, Crusher was keeping a tally of everyone's predictions, but it's on the fifth page so it's not really easy to track down. Plus, it seems like he hasn't checked in on this thread in months. Maybe my giant "I'm not handling quarantine well and quarantine hasn't even happened" essay of predictions scared him off. I only just figured out he set a limit of 3 and I had like seven.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #504
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

biggrin Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

I think I might've figured out the character who's going to be, according to Rich in the commentary of Utterly Dwarfed, "an important ally in the first half of the [current] book" who's only appeared once so far... because we just saw him again for the first time in this book. And if I haven't figured it out, then I'm going to just put my money on it on the offchance I'm right.

I think the bugbear with the spikes on his mask seen giving a scroll to Redcloak in Comic #1204 is the shaman Oona has mentioned (once in Comic #1038 and again in #1041), who (at the time of Rich's hint's writing) had only appeared once, in Comic #1036.

I posit that when Durkon tries to negotiate and explain about Thor's plan, Redcloak will naturally be opposed to it and be hostile to Durkon, but the bugbear shaman will be the voice of reason who tries to keep them both civil and working together toward his and Redcloak's common goal of improving things for goblinoid kind.

Has anyone else drawn this conclusion yet? I think it could hold water.
    I really like this theory! Either it's correct, or it should be, dammit!

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground

Consider me on board the shaman idea. That panel in #1036 seems conspicuous in hindsight, he's actually present at the North Pole already unlike 99% of contenders, and he's about to either witness or take part in the historic first talk between Redcloak and a PC.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

26. - Top - End - #506

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefarble View Post
    Consider me on board, since I never even considered the "important ally" did not necessarily have to be on a certain faction's side. For good measure, I will bet on:

*the bugbear (shaman?)
    *the orange voice
    Spoiler: SOD
    Show

*the goblin with the chicken

The first two have the novelty of already being at the North Pole and having a distinctive appearance (or "voice" for the second, at least). The third is exponentially less likely, but besides the North Pole the only other possible location I can see being visited is the Riftworld.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I don't remember whether I had a specific prediction - I don't remember any choices sticking out to me as particularly compelling - but the bugbear shaman becoming a major character does seem like a pretty reasonable idea. Everything fits.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

The shaman may become a major character in this book, but it doesn't seem likely he will ally with OOTS.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    The shaman may become a major character in this book, but it doesn't seem likely he will ally with OOTS.
    Perfect, because Rich said it was "something we're not expecting."

30. - Top - End - #510

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DapperWarlock View Post
    Yeah, Crusher was keeping a tally of everyone's predictions, but it's on the fifth page so it's not really easy to track down. Plus, it seems like he hasn't checked in on this thread in months. Maybe my giant "I'm not handling quarantine well and quarantine hasn't even happened" essay of predictions scared him off. I only just figured out he set a limit of 3 and I had like seven.
    Hah! It wasn't you personally. I started the list when things were quiet for me, and then I got really, really busy for a good while. When things calmed down there were like 10 pages of posts to sort through and I haven't quite made myself go catch things up. I do intend to, much like I still intend to send out thank you notes for the gifts I got for my birthday in April. And I genuinely do intend to do both, hopefully before we find out what the answer is.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan