New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Anyone guessed the King of Nowhere?
    I should get a Signature

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Perfect, because Rich said it was "something we're not expecting."
    So what happens when we start expecting everything?

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by urbanwolf View Post
    Anyone guessed the King of Nowhere?
    The forum has a thread search function available to anyone who's logged in to the forum. If you search this thread, you will find Toad, D.One, Ruck, Stabbey considered the King of Nowhere, and Ron Miel guessed it. {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-24 at 10:06 AM.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Barbarian in the Playground

I dunno whether the Hobgoblin Chief would be the one to become an ally but the Gobotopia storyline needs some major resolution.

The page that had the Hob Chief just immediately back down as soon as Redcloak showed off his power always made me feel that he was still alive. Then, as soon as Redcloak left, Jirix immediately killed that cockroach, which strongly suggested that there was an immediate purge of everyone that was loyal to Xykon. Given the story in Paladin's Scar, I wouldn't be surprised if the chief might have been directing all his hobgoblins to obey Xykon to make sure they just survived, guy is extremely clever.

It wouldn't be surprising at all if he was planning on helping out the Order of the Stick to make sure that Xykon never ruled over them again. Regardless of if he is the ally or not, I'd REALLY like to see him again, and to find out what is going on with those hobs.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2020-06-24 at 03:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    I dunno whether the Hobgoblin Chief would be the one to become an ally but the Gobotopia storyline needs some major resolution.
    Since Rich was careful to include prequel stories in his hint, the previous Supreme Leader wouldn't qualify. And given that Jirix is now the head of state for Gobbotopia, I'm comfortable assuming he's served his purpose in the story and we won't be seeing him again. While I agree it's pretty likely he managed to avoid dying, any further dealings with Gobbotopia will probably involve Jirix as the leader, or else risk overcomplicating the proceedings for the reader.
    Spoiler: Sig Art
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

Some people have theorized that the former Supreme Leader actually IS Jirix.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

7. - Top - End - #517

If so, O-Chul would've recognized him.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    If so, O-Chul would've recognized him.
    Well, it wasn't my theory, and I'm not over fond of it, but just to play Devil's advocate:

1) Did Jirix and O'chul have much contact? Other than a brief moment?

2) Would they have recognised each other? They met once, years ago. And there may be a bit of "they all look alike to me" at work on both sides.

3) Can we be sure they didn't recognise each other? Jirix may not have been ready to actually tell Redcloak "we met when I became Supreme Leader" or anything like that.
    -.____________________

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ettin in the Playground

d6 Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Toward the contrary case: Is there any evidence the Supreme Leader is a cleric?

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

Hard to answer that without a spoiler, but let's say that one of the prequel stories shows a cleric taking over the position.
    -.____________________

11. - Top - End - #521
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Hard to answer that without a spoiler, but let's say that one of the prequel stories shows a cleric taking over the position.
    Which is not to say the Supreme Leader was a cleric. Especially given how fast goblins age out and die.

Also, you could always answer with a spoiler box.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-25 at 03:35 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

THe trouble is, sometimes even saying that there is a spoiler for a particular named story is in itself a spoiler.

As for your other point
    Spoiler
    Show
    They both have the same three symbols of supreme leadership. The labels are exactly the same. I think it's pretty clear the implication is they are the same person.
    -.____________________

13. - Top - End - #523

THe trouble is, sometimes even saying that there is a spoiler for a particular named story is in itself a spoiler.

As for your other point
    Spoiler
    Show
    They both have the same three symbols of supreme leadership. The labels are exactly the same. I think it's pretty clear the implication is they are the same person.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, because those are the symbols of the Supreme Leader. The fat Supreme Leader also had those. The implication I got was not that it is the same character (which is largely meaningless), but that it was the same village (which is meaningful).

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

Objection. Assuming facts not in evidence.
    -.____________________

15. - Top - End - #525

Objection. Assuming facts not in evidence.
    Elaborate.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground

Further arguments from Peelee aside, I have to admit I forgot he was actually confirmed to be a cleric there.

I suppose it's possible Jirix is the same person, but then why did he get rid of all his cool Supreme Leader gear?

17. - Top - End - #527
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Maybe the key ally is Sereni’s purple worm.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I suppose it's possible Jirix is the same person, but then why did he get rid of all his cool Supreme Leader gear?
    So Redcloak wouldn't kill him. The items probably have those manufacturer's tags....
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2020-06-25 at 05:34 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Elaborate.
    Spoiler
    Show
    we have seen a prequel in which the Supreme Leader(A) was assassinated, and a new Supreme Leader(B) took his place.

We have seen in the online strip a supreme leader(C) deposed by Redcloak, who became supreme leader(D).

You are assuming that (B) and (C) are different people. There is, as far as I know, no evidence to support this.

Without evidence to the contrary, It is reasonable to think that (B) and (C) are the same person.
    -.____________________

20. - Top - End - #530

Spoiler
    Show
    we have seen a prequel in which the Supreme Leader(A) was assassinated, and a new Supreme Leader(B) took his place.

We have seen in the online strip a supreme leader(C) deposed by Redcloak, who became supreme leader(D).

You are assuming that (B) and (C) are different people. There is, as far as I know, no evidence to support this.

Without evidence to the contrary, It is reasonable to think that (B) and (C) are the same person.
    So I am assuming no facts, then. Objection overruled!

Spoiler
    Show
    We know goblins age rapidly. We know several years passed between O-Chul meeting the Supreme Leader and Redcloak meeting the Supreme Leader. Redcloak's Supreme Leader shows no signs of aging, indicating it may be a different goblin. This is by no means definitive, and I do not present it as such, but I do find it interesting.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

So I am assuming no facts, then. Objection overruled!

Spoiler
    Show
    We know goblins age rapidly. We know several years passed between O-Chul meeting the Supreme Leader and Redcloak meeting the Supreme Leader. Redcloak's Supreme Leader shows no signs of aging, indicating it may be a different goblin. This is by no means definitive, and I do not present it as such, but I do find it interesting.
    The fact that

Spoiler
    Show

The captions pointing out the adornments gag is repeated seems to imply it's the exact same hobgoblin, because it's...the exact same gag. Additionally, he says something like: "I was destined to have these," which seems to me to be a bit of a nudge to how unceremoniously he gets removed from his position later.

22. - Top - End - #532

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    The fact that

Spoiler
    Show

The captions pointing out the adornments gag is repeated seems to imply it's the exact same hobgoblin, because it's...the exact same gag. Additionally, he says something like: "I was destined to have these," which seems to me to be a bit of a nudge to how unceremoniously he gets removed from his position later.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The gag shows that it is the same settlement, which has immediate narrative payoff in that we know how the truce between them and the Azurite ends.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I figured he was the same hobgoblin largely because his personality in HtPGHS fits perfectly with what the Supreme Leader did in #149.

Also, I don't see the point in emphasizing the Supreme Leadership regalia only when the new Supreme Leader got his hands on them if the goal was to show that it was the same village. The regalia had already been shown in the comic, worn by the previous Supreme Leader. In my opinion, that panel was there to suggest the new Supreme Leader was the same person as in the online comic.
    ungelic is us

24. - Top - End - #534
    Colossus in the Playground

Roughly 7-8 years pass between HtPGhS and War & XPs (Hinjo is about 15 or 16 in the former, according to The Giant, and 23 in the latter, according to the character chart at the start).

Spoiler
    Show
    I think that's compatible with minimal signs of ageing, especially if Former Supreme Leader was quite young when he took the title.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-06-26 at 01:46 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I also interpreted the prequel Supreme Leader as being the same guy who let Redcloak take over.

I'm pretty sure we're meant to know it's the same Hobgoblin City from the online comic in the very beginning by virtue of its proximity to Azure City and the fact that no other hobgoblin settlement has been mentioned in the comic.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

26. - Top - End - #536

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Roughly 7-8 years pass between HtPGhS and War & XPs (Hinjo is about 15 or 16 in the former, according to The Giant, and 23 in the latter, according to the character chart at the start).

Spoiler
    Show
    I think that's compatible with minimal signs of ageing, especially if Former Supreme Leader was quite young when he took the title.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So I don't have the book on me, but it seems like we could compare Right-Eye in SOD here - according to the timeline on the wiki, he takes the name Right-Eye on 1153, and visits Eugene in the tavern in 1162. That's 9 years, so a little bit over the range, but I recall (again, no book on hand, so I can't check to be sure) that he was still visibly aged at this time, despite being fairly young when he got the Right-Eye moniker. If anyone could check, I'd be much obliged.

27. - Top - End - #537

Spoiler
    Show
    So I don't have the book on me, but it seems like we could compare Right-Eye in SOD here - according to the timeline on the wiki, he takes the name Right-Eye on 1153, and visits Eugene in the tavern in 1162. That's 9 years, so a little bit over the range, but I recall (again, no book on hand, so I can't check to be sure) that he was still visibly aged at this time, despite being fairly young when he got the Right-Eye moniker. If anyone could check, I'd be much obliged.
    I checked:

Spoiler
    Show
    He has a goatee, but nothing else different - no wrinkles or eye bags.

He does have a cheek wrinkle and eye bags when Redcloak meets up with him again though, during the circus scenes.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-06-26 at 09:45 AM.

28. - Top - End - #538

I checked:

Spoiler
    Show
    He has a goatee, but nothing else different - no wrinkles or eye bags.

He does have a cheek wrinkle and eye bags when Redcloak meets up with him again though, during the circus scenes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Huh, that goatee helped make him seem more mature, visually. Impressive. Welp, that was the last pillar that was holding up my argument, so I have nothing left to stand on, then.

29. - Top - End - #539

Some people just don't wrinkle much. Look at Tarquin. Over 15 year gap, enough for his hair to change colour radically, and no wrinkles or eye bags.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-06-26 at 10:13 AM.

30. - Top - End - #540

Some people just don't wrinkle much. Look at Tarquin. Over 15 year gap, enough for his hair to change colour radically, and no wrinkles or eye bags.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html
    Yeah, but the grey hair still manages the visual aging.