New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    How about Zeus? He has only one appearance IIRC though is mentioned a number of times.
    One. Two. Three.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    On a more serious note, what about the people Hinjo was talking to when he got the sending from the oots? He was negotiating with someone.
    He was fighting with someone.

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    Another weird option? Tiamat
    She technically appeared once if I recall, despite being mentioned by the oracle and the IFCC
    One. Two. Three.

Also she shows up in SoD.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Clearly Giggles, being a god of action, it's going to show up his brother who couldn't even do anything when gods were central to the plot of an entire book.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

I would have guessed V's former master, Aarindarius but they appear in both main continuity and a prequel comic. Drat.
    Forum Wisdom

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    How has none of you mentionned Fruit Pie the Sorcerer yet?

For shame.
    He has 4 pages apparently, so it can’t be him (new theory, Firestorm! Batman has at least two pages cause SoD but I think he only has one).
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Two of those are crayons, not sticks. (BTW the second crayon drawing shows Zeus surviving).

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Two of those are crayons, not sticks. (BTW the second crayon drawing shows Zeus surviving).
    So? Like, why does the crayon aspect matter, he said one page, in all of OOTS, not one where they were sticks (in any case those were sticks, more stick than anything in UD, just ones drawn with different tools).

Also, the second crayon drawing doesn’t, it shows him saying his last words before he dies, and the narration clearly says he died, there is no reasonable interpretation that would have that strip saying he survived.

Oh, and one has two pages with him so Zeus has 4 pages overall.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

The Little Psion That Could! Perhaps it was a memoir, rather than a novel.

He 'Could' back when the book was written, and that was at least 25 years ago... Who knows how much he's grown in that time. Perhaps now he more than 'Could.'

Maybe by now, he's become 'The Little Psion That Will!'
    Last edited by Euclidodese; 2019-12-11 at 08:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I nominate the gnome news fox.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2019-12-11 at 10:18 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

To the Character Appearances Thread!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Imean, the only reason to mention that is to give a guessing game, and immediately undercutting that game seems pretty cheap to me. It'd be like me saying, "pick a number between 1 and 10, if you guess it correct you win a prize!" and that number being e.
    To be fair, you are following all your own rules you gave. I'm reading this overall hint as along the lines of the prophecies he scattered through the books. They have all been both accurate and subverted. The 4 words, etc etc. (I don't think Belkar is gonna survive though, but that is off topic). Frankly, I'm expecting the person in question to be a background character who doesn't even have a name as of yet. It feels like its going to have a riddle like answer. In short, I've made my guess based on how I interpreted the statement. And I think the actual pool of choices is pretty small.

For shame.
    He is showing 2 pages on the character thread, Though I am not sure where the second is right now.

Do the two guys that Durkon recruits in OtOoPCs appear on multiple pages?
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    To be fair, you are following all your own rules you gave.
    Didnt day I wasn't, I was saying that'd be a cheap move, since most everyone would expect an integer and not an irrational number.

Maybe a better example would have been to have the number be 4.90999999999998999. Not even a famous number, a pretty finite number that absolutely nobody would ever guess and on the reveal isn't clever in the slightest despite being technically within the confines of the rules.

Also, most prophecies were not subverted. I'd argue only Durkon's was.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-11 at 09:51 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #42

Flumph

Does Redcloak's niece show up on multiple pages? She probably does, but I can't check right now.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Does Redcloak's niece show up on multiple pages? She probably does, but I can't check right now.
    I did. She does.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #44

Flumph

I did. She does.
    Ah well, she will probably turn up closer to the climax anyway.

15. - Top - End - #45

Lizardfolk

I'm going with Amir. It all makes sense. Now is Amir's time to shine.

On a more serious note, was there anyone from the LG afterlife who could be a hidden ally? Roy and his Archon planned something before he got rezzed, but the only people who fit the bill are Enrique and Tony. Maybe the pink haired elf (or LG version of a succubus?) from the Tavern of Infinite One Night Stands.
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2019-12-11 at 11:52 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

On a less ridiculous but still way out there note, does the red haired elf in Eugene's adventuring party show up anywhere else? I was originally checking to see if the cherubs are only on that page, but they unfortunately all show up in the first panel of the next page, so it can't be one of them.

17. - Top - End - #47

WolfInSheepsClothing

They’re in SOD in a panel or two or three.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Both Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson appeared once each, and they are fundamental to the very existence of the story.

What about the King of Nowhere or the Weeping King?
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

19. - Top - End - #49

Lizardfolk

A potentially facetious answer would be Green Voice from the last comic. Depends on how trolly Rich was feeling when he wrote the comment.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Didnt day I wasn't, I was saying that'd be a cheap move, ....

Also, most prophecies were not subverted. I'd argue only Durkon's was.
    I don't disagree with that being a cheap move, I just think its something that he might do on the basis of the prophesies.

On the the prophesies themselves, I'd argue that all but Belkar's first one have been subverted from what was expected. Well, maybe Haley's too. Point is they are full of tricks and weird meanings. saying the word I twice for example.

In any case I am expecting to be wrong on my idea, but I think defining what the Giant thinks counts as an appearance will inform us as to the total pool of people. Also, I'm really glad this is going to be a short term hint.

---

The Green voice is on two pages, but the Orange voice is on one.

I'd say if he were really trolling us it would be like the Monty Python Sketch about the Blemonges from Outer space. There is a background character with no lines from one panel in like the beginning of the 5th book who would have helped tons and knew about everything, if only the order had talked to them there...

Spoiler: Silly option. - bonus material from bk6.
    Show
    edit: I just remembered Straybot, and that would make me giggle for a long while if that somehow became the answer to the hint.
    Last edited by Ornithologist; 2019-12-11 at 03:08 PM.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

21. - Top - End - #51

I don't disagree with that being a cheap move, I just think its something that he might do on the basis of the prophesies.

On the the prophesies themselves, I'd argue that all but Belkar's first one have been subverted from what was expected. Well, maybe Haley's too. Point is they are full of tricks and weird meanings. saying the word I twice for example.
    But they're not full of tricks. The word count works just like it would in a Sending spell, which has an explicit word count limit and doesn't care what the words are. It was, thus, very straightforward, if unexpected. Likewise, Elan getting a happy ending hasn't happened yet but will defi itely not be subverted per author commentary, Haley didn't question the date with "Elan," Xykon was in his throne room, between the two gates presented Xykon was closer to Girard's first, Belkar killed the Oracle.... How would you argue any of these were subverted or full of trickery? They're about as straightforward as possible.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Not to stray too far off topic but:

I'm discounting Elan's Prophecy and Belkar's Death Prophecy as they are not fulfilled yet. (though I cannot imagine that Elans being subverted.)

I think Prophecies being fulfilled in an unexpected way counts as tricks and/or weird meanings. Please be aware I have enjoyed all of them very much,

Xykon in his throne room answer: is the epitome of an unhelpful response that is technically correct. I'd call it the cheapest of the Oracle's answers.

the questions between two gates is a classic loophole of a third option Roy forgot about. Even The jerk of an Oracle tried to fix that one for him. While this was straight forward for us, this one caught Roy off guard pretty hard.

Durkon's was straight forward, in that he returned after death. But, was weird in that his corpse was still quite active.

V's was unexpected because people weren't guessing sentences with a repeated word. The fact that the giant had to clarify it in the printed book commentary is enough for me to qualify it as such.

Belkar's First prophecy was literally a commentary on the normal kind of prophecy shenanigans that stories like to do. And it played out straight after all the weird/tricksy arguments got presented.

Haley's is the least deep of any of them. I don't recall much if any forum speculations on this one, especially since it was cleared up so quickly compare to the others.

Blackwings I don't think counts, because a) we don't know what he said. We think its about getting V to remember Blackwing more. b) I thought it was the joke of the page. c) We don't know if he even followed his advise.

To use your words, straight forward and unexpected, can totally apply here. He said specifically that the new ally has appeared once in total in the main saga and prequels together. We don't know if he defined appear as on camera (like the majority of appearances). Or, do statues and/or in universe drawings count? We count them in the appearances thread, but we tend to be just a bit more through than the Giant on some things. I'm of the thought that we could have accidentally ruled out someone who could fit the bill because we counted a page that the Giant didn't. And Narratively speaking, I think Serini makes the most sense to be a temporary ally. Also, I fully expect to be wrong, the aforementioned unexpected bias being what it is.

It's likely that I mis-used the term subversion when I earlier (rather, I should have gone with twisted resolution/unexpected), but I am sure he likes to be a bit "exact words" kind of misleading in the commentaries. Take for example he line from the DStP where he said someone would die and someone would take a drink. (I'm paraphrasing a bit, I don't have the book on hand.) No one was likely getting that he meant the same event until it happened. Accurate and unexpected!

suppose the TLDR is that I'm expecting to be surprised at who the new ally is.
    Now, Back to Lurking!

23. - Top - End - #53

ElfWarriorGuy

For shame.
    Curse you for beating me to it.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

24. - Top - End - #54

MindFlayer

The point of V's prophecy weren't the words they'd pick but rather when and to whom.

Instead of "I I must succeed" they could have said "very well, I accept" or even "sure, what the heck" and nothing would change.

I don't see any tricks that was being played here at all.

I also don't see any problem with Durkon's prophecy. Heck, before he died he even said that exactly that he knows he will go home. The fact that he later got animated changed nothing.

Heck, the "weird" thing would be if the party had killed the vampire and resurrected Durkon *before* he got to his homeland. Then he would have returned passed his death with nothing changed.

Him coming back as an undead seems as straight forward as they come and I don't recall, but I'm pretty sure that some people even wagered on that when it was said initially.

Blackwings I don't think counts, because a) we don't know what he said. We think its about getting V to remember Blackwing more. b) I thought it was the joke of the page. c) We don't know if he even followed his advise.
    HOLY FOX!
    I never realized that Blackwing asked a question. I don't know why, but I always thought that he was sneaking and stealing their money back from the Oracle.
    Have no idea how I possibly missed that!

25. - Top - End - #55

Not to stray too far off topic but:

I'm discounting Elan's Prophecy and Belkar's Death Prophecy as they are not fulfilled yet. (though I cannot imagine that Elans being subverted.)

I think Prophecies being fulfilled in an unexpected way counts as tricks and/or weird meanings.
    Fair on Elan's and Belkar's death. However...
    Xykon in his throne room answer: is the epitome of an unhelpful response that is technically correct. I'd call it the cheapest of the Oracle's answers.
    Not subverted , not fulfilled in an unexpected way, no trick and/or weird meaning. Jerk response, sure, but a pretty straightforward answer.
    the questions between two gates is a classic loophole of a third option Roy forgot about. Even The jerk of an Oracle tried to fix that one for him. While this was straight forward for us, this one caught Roy off guard pretty hard.
    Not subverted, not fulfilled in an unexpected way, no trick an/or weird meaning. Roy outplayed himself.
    V's was unexpected because people weren't guessing sentences with a repeated word. The fact that the giant had to clarify it in the printed book commentary is enough for me to qualify it as such.
    V said four words (regardless of whether some people weren't guessing repeated words, the world they're in doesn't care, as evidenced by the Sending spell) to the right people at the right time for the wrong reasons. It was not subverted, no trick and/or weird meaning. That people weren't able to guess "literally selling their soul for it" does not make it fulfilled in an unexpected way, in the sense we're talking about - faustian bargains are pretty standard D&D devil fair, after all.
    Belkar's First prophecy was literally a commentary on the normal kind of prophecy shenanigans that stories like to do. And it played out straight after all the weird/tricksy arguments got presented.
    You agree that it's not a subversion, not unexpected, and no weird trick and/or meaning.
    Haley's is the least deep of any of them. I don't recall much if any forum speculations on this one, especially since it was cleared up so quickly compare to the others.
    Second fifth verse, same as the first.

So, from all the Oracle's prophecies that we know have come true, only Durkon's was really a twist of any sort, in that he was dead but not in the traditional sense we think of. Every single other one was more or less straight, not misleading in the slightest. Given that track record, and those prophecies being from a kobold who explicitly did not like humanoids, I don't see why the statement from the author would be any less straightforward and non-misleading.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    But since Serini Toormuck, the obvious choice, appears in more than one page, the only thing that would make sense to me is an Eastern God. A lot of them are only on one page. Apollo, Artemis, etc. It's possible that one of them actually escaped the Snarl, maybe inside the Starmetal or something, since it's associated with Green and Roy's sword. But that's still pretty crack pot for my tastes
    They "become an important ally in the first half of the next book". If an Eastern God survived, is available and allies with the OOTS... that pretty much wipes out any need for the Dark One, no? Durkon's whole Mission From Thor becomes a red herring.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Also, I'm really glad this is going to be a short term hint.
    Yeah, we probably will have our answer before 2024 is over!
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #58

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    A potentially facetious answer would be Green Voice from the last comic. Depends on how trolly Rich was feeling when he wrote the comment.
    Green voice is technically in multiple pages (of a multi-page strip). But Orange Voice is only in one - and since Orange Voice is only in one panel, presumably opposed to Xykon, and already present at the final Gate, I’d say that’s by far the most probable answer.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    Green voice is technically in multiple pages (of a multi-page strip). But Orange Voice is only in one - and since Orange Voice is only in one panel, presumably opposed to Xykon, and already present at the final Gate, I’d say that’s by far the most probable answer.

The giant did call it energy, right?

Is there anything that can be concluded from
    This?
    Last edited by Turin_19; 2019-12-11 at 07:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Curse you for beating me to it.
    My thoughts exactly, though I will point out that Fruit Pie also appears in H&J.

My vote is for Mr. Belvedere. Or maybe Corporal Yamada

Honorable mention:
    Orrin Draketooth
    Shoulderpads Guy
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!