New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Not necessarily, though it is possible they chose the same barred schools as V. Or, in universe, that V chose the same barred schools as A.
    This is the point I was trying to make, phrased better. Not that I don't appreciate the 3.0 history lesson, but Aarindarius being an evoker is not grounds to assume that they've barred conjuration.

You could construct a plausible scenario where A had been operating under 3.0 rules and decided to take the "only one barred school" path, and *perhaps* speculate that V's strong preference for Disintegrate means that A also used the spell (and thus didn't bar Transmutation) - but it would be nothing more than a plausible scenario; not really grounds to draw conclusions from.

Also, yes: V has both conjuration and necromancy barred - this is strongly implied during the soul splice and has also been explicitly mentioned on the forums. The C&L geekery thread has the relevant links.
    Last edited by Gurgeh; 2020-07-19 at 12:52 AM.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    No, which is odd; we never see or hear of Fyron's son except by Roy's exclamation that Xykon killed him, IIRC.
    Maybe Rich is going for some Obi Wan Kenobi variation here?

Roy:You said Xykon killed your master's son?
    Eugene: well, it is true....in a certain sense. Fyron was like a father to me, I felt more like a son to him than to your grandfather. Living with him was the best days of my life. He made me a happy, good person. When Xykon killed him, he killed that part of me, and I was forced to become a vengeant lonely adventurer, just like you. I tried to have children to fill the void later, but what do you know? You just became like your grandfather, actually ENJOYING this stupid bound by honor instead of enjoying everything I could offer you. I had the means and was willing to send you to a wizard school and live the happy life Xykon took away from me, and instead you chose to hit people with a big knife.

Unfortunately, that doesn't provide an answer to who the mystery ally may be......

Maybe MitD WAS DRAWN once on a page without us realising that it was him (read 709 for the "hint"), and MitD is the new ally?
    Last edited by Mightymosy; 2020-07-19 at 02:35 AM.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I think the whole joke there is that Tiamat has five heads and all of them are yelling at the IFCC. I don't think it's a secret sleight-of-hand joke so that Rich could set up his note in the commentary at the end of book six.
    ?
    (EDIT: I get it. You're talking about the stuff coming out of the telephone in no. 667. I wasn't referring to that (although now that you mention it, the green and orange blobs are of about the right colour), I was merely pointing out (as did, I think, others before) that the speech bubbles of the two entities from the end of Book 6 look like the speech bubbles of chromatic (half-)dragons, which belong to Tiamat's portfolio.)

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    They talk about him a few times, but he's introduced here, and stays with the orcs at the end of that strip, and we don't see them again, so I don't think we see Giggles again...

Tiamat's been seen on loads of pages hasn't she? At least once in the prequal books that I recall off the top of my head, here Thor shows her, here there's a statue of her (I don't know if that counts), here the Oracle Invokes her image, etc. And that was just a cursory check of where I remembered her. There could be more I've forgotten.
    Certainly, that's the main reason why I suggested characters I believe to be her AGENTS, the two lizards who got the Oracle back on his feet. They came up before in the thread, but so far as I could tell, those who mentioned them were not really serious about the whole thing – basically, that is why I made an attemp to bring some better sounding argument for why we should consider them.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2020-07-19 at 12:52 PM.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

Peelee, you are indeed making me doubt that Vaarsuvius has Necromancy as a barred school now. The others refer to the statement by the Giant for how he chose the soul spilces:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I need three evil souls to represent the three parts of arcane power V doesn't have (conjuration, necromancy, and spontaneous casting)
    Maybe that implies that she has necromancy barred, but I'm not so sure, because an earlier statements by Giant don't suggest as such. I'm not talking about the post about Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion, that one doesn't really tell anything about whether she has Necromancy barred or not. I mean this very old post:
    V cannot cast spells of 7th level or higher as far as we have seen. And so far, all teleportation spells have been suspiciously absent from the elf's repetoire. The rest, just aren't in his spellbook yet.
    That one seems to imply that he only has conjuration barred. And since Vaarsuvius chose her barred schools in D&D 3, if choosing only conjuration as barred was allowed without some other drawback, then she probably only has one barred school.

In addition, we know Vaarsuvius continuously has difficulty with acquiring gemstones for her spells. In addition, Vaarsuvius respects Durkon and knows that Durkon hates the undead, so it may be for that reason that she restrains herself from creating undead servants to help her. Are there other useful necromancy wizard's spells that she could use then? Harm, Inflict Critical Wounds, Speak with Dead are cleric-only; Circle of Death consumes gems.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Colossus in the Playground

IIRC, 3e Evokers only had to ban one school if they chose Conjuration or Transmutation, 2 schools if they picked from a set list, or three schools with no restriction. The "any two schools except Divination" was not third edition, but 3.5. In strip 340, V mentions Conjuration as their banned school, singular, and that when they chose Conjuration, Teleport was still Transmutation, both of which heavily imply that V has a single banned school under 3e rules, not two under 3.5 rules.
    I wouldn't rule out the possibility that V was forced to choose a second banned school during the 3.0-3.5 changeover, and picked Necromancy.

This:

I don't know a damn thing about those three characters other than, "I need three evil souls to represent the three parts of arcane power V doesn't have (conjuration, necromancy, and spontaneous casting)
    is sufficient to convince me that "The Giant made V ban necromancy as well" is the simplest interpretation.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-07-19 at 08:50 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #606

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Peelee, you are indeed making me doubt that Vaarsuvius has Necromancy as a barred school now. The others refer to the statement by the Giant for how he chose the soul spilces:

Maybe that implies that she has necromancy barred, but I'm not so sure, because an earlier statements by Giant don't suggest as such. I'm not talking about the post about Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion, that one doesn't really tell anything about whether she has Necromancy barred or not. I mean this very old post:
    That one seems to imply that he only has conjuration barred. And since Vaarsuvius chose her barred schools in D&D 3, if choosing only conjuration as barred was allowed without some other drawback, then she probably only has one barred school.

In addition, we know Vaarsuvius continuously has difficulty with acquiring gemstones for her spells. In addition, Vaarsuvius respects Durkon and knows that Durkon hates the undead, so it may be for that reason that she restrains herself from creating undead servants to help her. Are there other useful necromancy wizard's spells that she could use then? Harm, Inflict Critical Wounds, Speak with Dead are cleric-only; Circle of Death consumes gems.
    Well Belkar did get hit by the update, his weapons shrunk. It's possible V got to keep whatever necromancy spells were in their book but I'm pretty much on team "V has necromancy barred."

As for useful necromancy spells a wizard might want, especially a blasty one like V used to be, well...

Disrupt Undead, Touch of Fatigue, Cause Fear, Chill Touch, Ray of Enfeeblement, False Life, Spectral Hand, Ray of Exhaustion, Vampiric Touch, Bestrow Curse, Enervation, Waves of Fatigue, Undeath to Death, Finger of Death, Waves of Exhaustion, Clone, Horrid Wilting, Symbol of Pain, Symbol of Fear and Symbol of Death come to mind.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2020-07-19 at 08:49 AM.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I wouldn't rule out the possibility that V was forced to choose a second banned school during the 3.0-3.5 changeover, and picked Necromancy.

This:

I don't know a damn thing about those three characters other than, "I need three evil souls to represent the three parts of arcane power V doesn't have (conjuration, necromancy, and spontaneous casting)
    is sufficient to convince me that "The Giant made V ban necromancy as well" is the simplest interpretation.
    I'm on board this this train of thought.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    As for useful necromancy spells a wizard might want, especially a blasty one like V used to be, well...

Disrupt Undead, Touch of Fatigue, Cause Fear, Chill Touch, Ray of Enfeeblement, False Life, Spectral Hand, Ray of Exhaustion, Vampiric Touch, Bestrow Curse, Enervation, Waves of Fatigue, Undeath to Death, Finger of Death, Waves of Exhaustion, Clone, Horrid Wilting, Symbol of Pain, Symbol of Fear and Symbol of Death come to mind.
    Thank you, that's a useful list. Many of those don't require gemstones and could have been useful to Vaarsuvius, so yes, she probably has Necromancy banned since strip #1 then.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-07-20 at 02:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ettin in the Playground

Bit surprised it hasn't been raised before (or my searching has failed me) - but maybe Tenrin Thundershield will have a chance to show up.

He seems to have two appearances - so might not count - but one of them was crayon (which I am not sure counts as an appearance) the other was a flashback.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    one of them was crayon (which I am not sure counts as an appearance)
    It certainly does.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    It certainly does.
    Why is it certain?

He appears in a story told by a guy who didn't know him and who wasn't there for the events in question - he is not really appearing in the story as much as appearing in a story (for that appearance at least).

Does Thor conjuring the image of The Dark One count as an appearance by The Dark One - I could see the logic of saying yes but I wouldn't call it certain.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

My vote is for Random Bugbear, although that's mostly because I think that Orange Voice might actually be Roy's Archon. I know, its crazy.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Could it be Solt Lorkyurg? https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html

He fits the one-page criteria
    He also is a named character, which makes him a far stronger candidate than many
    He would be so unexpected that it makes him possible Rich-wise
    It would also be really funny to have him teamed up with Belkar, his own murderer!

14. - Top - End - #614

Quote Originally Posted by Sonata Arctica View Post
    Could it be Solt Lorkyurg? https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html

He fits the one-page criteria
    He also is a named character, which makes him a far stronger candidate than many
    He would be so unexpected that it makes him possible Rich-wise
    It would also be really funny to have him teamed up with Belkar, his own murderer!
    And in what way, exactly, could Solt become an important ally of much anyone?

15. - Top - End - #615

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    And in what way, exactly, could Solt become an important ally of much anyone?
    He would be useful if Team Evil recruits a colossal slug.

16. - Top - End - #616

He would be useful if Team Evil recruits a colossal slug.
    I'm not entirely certain he peddles that kind of spice, you know.

17. - Top - End - #617

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I'm not entirely certain he peddles that kind of spice, you know.
    If he didn't, then he'd surely be salty about it at that point.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sonata Arctica View Post
    It's unlikely to be anyone dead.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

19. - Top - End - #619

Celia's ex-boyfriend's dryad... um... friend; the wood recipient.

20. - Top - End - #620

…unless the new pawn of the IFCC teams up with the Order for the first half of the book. „Vessel” is a term that they are known to have used in reference to a body with no soul in it. (Not that I see Solt's body as an agent of the Archfiends.)

21. - Top - End - #621
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Solt Yorklug will return and kill Belkar as revenge for taking his candy bar.

22. - Top - End - #622

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lexible View Post
    Celia's ex-boyfriend's dryad... um... friend; the wood recipient.
    Durkon would never ally with one of them leafy wankers.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I won’t read through the whole thread so this may have come up, but if Belkar really pulls off his redemption arc, then the little angel (that presumably once sat on his shoulder and has since been treated for some PSTD issues related to being around Belkar and his stabbing victims) may finally get some peace and may have pulled off a success not entirely dissimilar to that of Durkon with respect to his vampire.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0435.html

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    I won’t read through the whole thread so this may have come up, but if Belkar really pulls off his redemption arc, then the little angel (that presumably once sat on his shoulder and has since been treated for some PSTD issues related to being around Belkar and his stabbing victims) may finally get some peace and may have pulled off a success not entirely dissimilar to that of Durkon with respect to his vampire.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0435.html
    Belkar is trying to help him get his act together (panel 12).

25. - Top - End - #625

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Belkar is trying to help him get his act together (panel 12).
    He's talking about Gontor?

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    He's talking about Gontor?
    Huh, weird ... everytime I have read that I have read Belkar saying 'myself' and 'my' rather then 'himself' and 'his' and thought it was a callback to the two fiends, a slaad and an angel scene ... but apparently it is not on closer inspection.

27. - Top - End - #627

So I guess you now need to make a post in the Things I Didn't Notice thread.

28. - Top - End - #628

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Durkon would never ally with one of them leafy wankers.
    Very well then: Belkar's tailor in Uncivil Servant.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

tongue Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Does that mean I have to throw away my thought of it being Nale's ashes which only appeared in #914? I was thinking they would travel all the way to the north pole and land in Redcloak's eye at a crucial moment.

30. - Top - End - #630

Quote Originally Posted by HeroErix View Post
    Does that mean I have to throw away my thought of it being Nale's ashes which only appeared in #914? I was thinking they would travel all the way to the north pole and land in Redcloak's eye at a crucial moment.

Nale's ashes are a separate character now?