New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Baine: The goblin of unusual green color in #701 is well-hidden, it took me a while to find him too, so let me point them out exactly.
    Spoiler: #701 eleventh panel image with arrow pointing to unusual green color goblin
    Show

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Hmm, I guess it's possible, but I think "Rich's illustration software picked a slightly different shade of green for whatever reason" is a simpler explanation.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Hmm, I guess it's possible, but I think "Rich's illustration software picked a slightly different shade of green for whatever reason" is a simpler explanation.
    You're such a killjoy.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Pixie in the Playground

I have not read the entire thread, so I apologize if this theory has already been raised:

Could the new ally or allies be one of or both of the Trogolodyte(?) casters who raise the Oracle in Strip 571? They seem to be powerful enough that they could be useful allies, given their ability to cast Teleport, Raise Dead, and, based on the Oracle's comment, Resurrection. Also, I don't recall seeing them in any other strip.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Halfling in the Playground

Of all the problems Adobe Illustrator has, "picks a color without the user's knowledge" is not one I've ever heard of. And certainly not something that would be evident anywhere else in the story. Rich has been pretty particular in his use of color for a while now.

Which isn't to say that particular goblin is meant to be any more significant than "I wanted to show a little diversity within the goblin crowd." I doubt we're going to see them again.
    Spoiler: Sig Art
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it

6. - Top - End - #666

I suspect it's more likely Rich clicked the wrong color to autofill and decided it looked good enough to keep.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Dwarf in the Playground

[oots0415]

We do have two paladins here, the former being more compelling than the latter.
    @Patt

Spoiler: Bleep bloop!
    Show
    "People are ideas." :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling-wordpress-com

T_P_T

8. - Top - End - #668

Quote Originally Posted by PattThe View Post
    [oots0415]

We do have two paladins here, the former being more compelling than the latter.
    That guy is Sir Francois, and he has three appearences in the main comic with many more in Origin, but the dwarf is indeed an (unlikely) option.
    Anyhow, speaking of Sir Francois, have his murderhobo colleagues from no. 975 come up here before?

9. - Top - End - #669
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    That guy is Sir Francois, and he has three appearences in the main comic with many more in Origin, but the dwarf is indeed an (unlikely) option.
    Anyhow, speaking of Sir Francois, have his murderhobo colleagues from no. 975 come up here before?
    Thanks for the tip!
    @Patt

Spoiler: Bleep bloop!
    Show
    "People are ideas." :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling-wordpress-com

T_P_T

10. - Top - End - #670

MonkGuy

Because the voices that kidnapped O-Chul and Lien are talking about getting erased from existence my guess is that they either plan to sacrifice themselves or they are OK with destroying the world eventually after destroying TE (which might make them allies of the Order at first but not during the second half of the book??)

My top picks are:
    Popcorn (he needn't be a god, as long as he was able to Plane Shift itself and Soda out before the moviesnackworld exploded.)
    The dryad that was "friends" with Celia's ex (depending on the instructions her deity (?) is sending her) *someone already mentioned her. :)
    The ex-Linear Guild gnome druid guy (Leeky Windstaff?) and Pompey?* Not the surprise allies, just the identities of the voices, maybe. Pompey's magic's color doesn't match, though.

Less serious ones that would be funny/interesting:
    Elf who tries to pay with gold nuggets at the elemental plane of earth.
    Cyclops (Scott Summers)
    Red Hill Mountains' Subway employee
    Empress of Sweat, since the Snarl almost got Laurin
    Recruitment Genie/Evil Ivy League Admissions guy/The dad of that Good goblin kid who is a priest of a demon prince, i.e. not TDO.
    Spoiler: SoD,OtOotPC
    Show

SoD Taco Fiesta Ambience Goblin Mariachi Trio
    The Monk from OtOotPC... but honestly I don't think monks have a very high standing in this story, amongst OotS fans, or in 3.5e in general. :( Maybe if he took some swordsage levels...
    Last edited by Shirow; 2020-10-23 at 04:49 AM.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Baine: The goblin of unusual green color in #701 is well-hidden, it took me a while to find him too, so let me point them out exactly.
    Spoiler: #701 eleventh panel image with arrow pointing to unusual green color goblin
    Show
    You're such a killjoy.
    I absolutely don't expect that to happen, but I would be absolutely delighted if it did.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Dwarf in the Playground

Huh, I completely missed the fact that was Francois! Nice touch. I thought they were just a random once-off group.
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shirow View Post
    but honestly I don't think monks have a very high standing in this story, amongst OotS fans, or in 3.5e in general. :( Maybe if he took some swordsage levels...
    Since OotS is mostly limited to the SRD, the best evolution for a monk would be to go Psychic Warrior.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

14. - Top - End - #674
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    In the crowd of goblins cheering Redcloak there are six green faces in a sea of orange. But one of them is a different shade of green. A sort of orangy-green.
    He's got the right skin tone (I think, I might not be mentally correcting for the water color properly), but wrong ear shape to be an aquatic goblinoid.

15. - Top - End - #675

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    He's got the right skin tone (I think, I might not be mentally correcting for the water color properly), but wrong ear shape to be an aquatic goblinoid.
    Hm. I've always thought those are just hobgoblins slightly transmuted to work better underwater.

16. - Top - End - #676

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Since OotS is mostly limited to the SRD, the best evolution for a monk would be to go Psychic Warrior.
    That actually sounds nice, yeah. I've had players multiclass to PW before.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Hm. I've always thought those are just hobgoblins slightly transmuted to work better underwater.
    Could be either, really. I hadn't considered that possibility.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Colossus in the Playground

Aquatic hobgoblins (under the name koalinths) do have a certain amount of history in D&D.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

That seems like it would require a massive amount of magic, magic that I'm not sure Gobbotopia has access to. (There may be a way for a single 17th-level cleric to transmute that many hobgoblins, but if so, I'm unaware of it.)

I think the likelier assumption is just that they're an aquatic subrace of goblinoid (probably a koalinth, as hamishspence points out, although I've never heard of them before).
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

20. - Top - End - #680

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Aquatic hobgoblins (under the name koalinths) do have a certain amount of history in D&D.
    There are aquatic hobgoblins in a bonus strip in Don't Split the Party.
    Spoiler: (minor)
    Show
    No apparent connection to Gobbotopia, but they were part of the attacks on the Azurite fleet.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

21. - Top - End - #681
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    There are aquatic hobgoblins in a bonus strip in Don't Split the Party.
    Yup. Oddly, they wore full metal armour, and lacked visibly webbed feet. The ears with extra points, was the only overtly aquatic thing about them, at least, lookswise.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-10-25 at 04:23 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

22. - Top - End - #682

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    That seems like it would require a massive amount of magic, magic that I'm not sure Gobbotopia has access to. (There may be a way for a single 17th-level cleric to transmute that many hobgoblins, but if so, I'm unaware of it.)

I think the likelier assumption is just that they're an aquatic subrace of goblinoid (probably a koalinth, as hamishspence points out, although I've never heard of them before).
    That still raises a number of questions. For instance, if those are these aquatic koala things you people keep talking about, why don't they look likke the other aquatic koala things from Good Deeds? Further, how is it that there are apparently so many of them in Gobbotopia City, and yet they don't come up in the Gobbotopia Speech or Gobbotopia – The Book (as opposed to freakin' yakfolk)?
    Anyhow, Water Breathing (itself a transmutation spell) is merely third level; why would the thing with the webbed feet and funny ears require ninth level stuff?
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2020-10-25 at 09:58 AM.

23. - Top - End - #683

Lizardfolk

I think it being a conscious decision is more likely; if Illustrator doesn't let you hotkey certain colours you use often, then I don't know what Adobe are playing at. A single gobhoblin could've been included for variety (though, if I was doing it, it'd be split down the middle like the guys from Star Trek)

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

That still raises a number of questions. For instance, if those are these aquatic koala things you people keep talking about, why don't they look likke the other aquatic koala things from Good Deeds? Further, how is it that there are apparently so many of them in Gobbotopia City, and yet they don't come up in the Gobbotopia Speech or Gobbotopia – The Book (as opposed to freakin' yakfolk)?
    Anyhow, Water Breathing (itself a transmutation spell) is merely third level; why would the thing with the webbed feet and funny ears require ninth level stuff?
    I don’t remember anything about aquatic koalas or hobgoblins from Good Deeds, so I won’t comment on that, but the problem with the idea that all those hobgoblins are merely transmuted is that it would be very difficult to give that many hobgoblins both the ability to breathe water and stuff like fins, etc. Redcloak could almost certainly transform a few of them, but it would be very hard to keep that many transformed for an extended period of time. And the hobgoblins seem to have few other mid- or high-level spellcasters.

As to why they’re not seen elsewhere or recognized as citizens, I’d imagine that it’s because they live underwater rather than in the city proper. They probably trade with Gobbotopia heavily, though.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2020-10-25 at 12:47 PM.

25. - Top - End - #685

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I think it being a conscious decision is more likely; if Illustrator doesn't let you hotkey certain colours you use often, then I don't know what Adobe are playing at.
    Yeah, Illustrator lets you create "swatches" that you can re-use. Also, it lets you select multiple objects to color in at once, so if Rich had just wanted all the green goblins to be the same shade, they would be.
    Spoiler: Sig Art
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it

26. - Top - End - #686
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I too have skipped umpteen pages, but has an angel roach appeared in any strip other than #193 (last panel)?

27. - Top - End - #687

Not that I recall. Although celestial anything has been rather thin on the ground.

And if memory serves we also saw koalinths during the Hunt For Xykon's Phylactery.

28. - Top - End - #688

AssassinGuy

It's insane enough to actually be plausible: The Holey Brotherhood!

Connection to the gates: check
    Knowing the location of at least one gate (so why not the others?): check
    Interested in keeping the gates from falling into the wrong hands: check

Heck, they might even be the mysterious voices from the end of UD. Their weird fondness of the rifts to be unsupervised could mean they expect the possibility to stop existing when the rifts start to spiral out of control.
    Last edited by Darth V; 2020-10-26 at 09:11 AM.
    The difference between Mace Windu and Miko Miyazaki:

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    It's one thing to take on a Sith Lord outside the law; bisecting an unarmed octogenarian is a little different.

29. - Top - End - #689

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I don’t remember anything about aquatic koalas or hobgoblins from Good Deeds,
    (The aquatic koala things koalinths show up in DStP. It's Azurite-related bonus material, which is why I automatically assumed they are from Good Deeds. Sorry for the confusion.

so I won’t comment on that, but the problem with the idea that all those hobgoblins are merely transmuted is that it would be very difficult to give that many hobgoblins both the ability to breathe water and stuff like fins, etc. Redcloak could almost certainly transform a few of them, but it would be very hard to keep that many transformed for an extended period of time. And the hobgoblins seem to have few other mid- or high-level spellcasters.

As to why they’re not seen elsewhere or recognized as citizens, I’d imagine that it’s because they live underwater rather than in the city proper. They probably trade with Gobbotopia heavily, though.
    I briefly considered pointing out that hiring a large number of weird aquatic goblins who are not subservient to the Supreme Leader to look for the phylactery would be a weird decision and that I can't see Redcloak not trying to integrate an entire race of goblinoid into his new state if he's working with them so closely as this level of trust would imply, but I kind of realized that I'm not sure I really care what those swimmers really are, and them being koalinths would not technically bother me at all.)

————————

Brand new suggestion! Why not do this the logical way and go for someone who may very well learn about the existence of the Gates and that of the Order in addition to probably being powerful enough to be of help as an ally for some time?
    Look no further than strip no. 755, page no. 2, panel no. 2, where we find a picture of the Death Squad Bleedingham Amateur Snorkeling Club. Now, the Club works for Tarquin, who knows just enough about the Gates and the Rifts, and it is described as an elite order of assassins. A really high level member of such an organisation could in theory have as many levels as the lower level members of the Order, and as such up to 8 levels of assassin, giving them a number of special abilities, spells, sneak attacks, death attacks and other fun stuff.
    If I had to pick one member, my first guess would otherwise be the green lizard on account of this lizard being one of the most distinctive members of the Club, by simple virtue of being taller than the others and being a lizard. (Also, I like lizards.)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2020-10-26 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Â.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

my contribtions are... one of the two thief kids.
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0673.html

and one of the two remaining thieves, the blond archer or the halfling. my money is on the blond archer.
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0151.html
    Last edited by locksmith of lo; 2020-10-26 at 12:22 PM.
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"