New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

The Blond archer appeared in at least one other page.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0160.html

Edit - so did the halfling.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0169.html
    Last edited by Ron Miel; 2020-10-26 at 01:34 PM.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

2. - Top - End - #692
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    The Blond archer appeared in at least one other page.

Edit - so did the halfling.
    ah zut! i thought i looked far enough! good catch!
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darth V View Post
    It's insane enough to actually be plausible: The Holey Brotherhood!

Connection to the gates: check
    Knowing the location of at least one gate (so why not the others?): check
    Interested in keeping the gates from falling into the wrong hands: check

Heck, they might even be the mysterious voices from the end of UD. Their weird fondness of the rifts to be unsupervised could mean they expect the possibility to stop existing when the rifts start to spiral out of control.
    This...dang, this could actually be it.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    This...dang, this could actually be it.
    Yet weirdly when I suggested it ten pages ago everyone poo-pooed me.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think it's the Holey Brotherhood. The character is supposed to be an ally, and the Brotherhood, if it still exists, would be trying to unseal the gate. They would be enemies. I do like the idea of them returning, though. But they would have to be antagonists.
    -.____________________

6. - Top - End - #696
    Firbolg in the Playground

New idea: Nyr-Azul, Priest of Tiamat. Has a name, serves Tiamat, only comes up once.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    New idea: Nyr-Azul, Priest of Tiamat. Has a name, serves Tiamat, only comes up once.
    Seeing his name in a magic book definitely doesn't count as an appearance.
    Spoiler: Sig Art
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Popcorn is the Elder God. And the gods quake at the mere mention of his (its? their?) name. They merely hope and pray that he sleeps on...
    while this is appealing, deities mostly have to be hands off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Popcorn will be a god over my cold, dead body, I tells ya!
    Popcthulhu can probably arrange that ... how are you with slime and tentacles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Holey Brotherhood
    Cons:
    Girard said they were the dumbest villains he'd encountered
    And probably dead, given that Girard and Lirian were taking him/her down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    Wisdom buffed Belkar.
    Heh, that would be kinda funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    New crackpot theory: Redcloak sacrifices his life to defeat The Snarl by throwing the Crimson Mantle into the rift, thus sealing it with purple quiddity and instantly aging himself to the point where he dies of old age.
    While I'd like that, it doesn't fit Rich's issues with goblins being hosed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DapperWarlock View Post
    Seeing his name in a magic book definitely doesn't count as an appearance.
    But there's a chance that the high priest of Tiamat is on screen for a single strip, here, in strip 0999, as one of the high priests standing there to send Veldrina the vote.

Not sure which one that would be, but given the connection to Malack, maybe that lizard green one on the left.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-11-13 at 04:32 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #699

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    But there's a chance that the high priest of Tiamat is on screen for a single strip, here, in strip 0999, as one of the high priests standing there to send Veldrina the vote.

Not sure which one that would be, but given the connection to Malack, maybe that lizard green one on the left.
    But their Macebook just says "priest!" I can't buy that Malack's friend could be the High Priest of Tiamat and not have that title plastered all over their social media. No way is the priest of an evil five-headed dragon goddess THAT humble.

... also, all the high priests are stuck at their Godsmoots.
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DapperWarlock View Post
    But their Macebook just says "priest!" I can't buy that Malack's friend could be the High Priest of Tiamat and not have that title plastered all over their social media. No way is the priest of an evil five-headed dragon goddess THAT humble.

... also, all the high priests are stuck at their Godsmoots.
    Hmm, since the Western and Southern have cast their votes without the nonsense the Northerners did, aren't the priests now free to go?

(Good point on the Macebook handle, though).
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

11. - Top - End - #701

Well, what would be the most annoying, rules-lawyerly way to do it? Yup, everybody is confined at their respective Godsmoots. Plus, to be fair, you can't tie down one pantheon's worth of High Priests and let the other two lots run amuck.

12. - Top - End - #702

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Hmm, since the Western and Southern have cast their votes without the nonsense the Northerners did, aren't the priests now free to go?
    I'm not inclined to assume so... the idea that the other two continents' high priests can just go about their business while the question of whether or not the gods are going to destroy the world is still up in the air strikes me as odd. If, say, the Western gods were the ones deadlocked instead of the North, I don't have much doubt that the Northern priests would be sitting there waiting for when Veldrina could communicate the final tally.

Edit: Ninja'd by Rogar, with less than half as many words as I took to say it.
    Last edited by DapperWarlock; 2020-11-13 at 06:54 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Well, what would be the most annoying, rules-lawyerly way to do it? Yup, everybody is confined at their respective Godsmoots. Plus, to be fair, you can't tie down one pantheon's worth of High Priests and let the other two lots run amuck.
    Which would be consistent with the story so far, in re the Northern Pantheon's issues ... so maybe he'll change it to not repeat that gag.
    Who knows?

14. - Top - End - #704

To think of it... seems kinda silly that the whole thing would be vulnerable to such a basic filibuster.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

15. - Top - End - #705

The fix for that is that they seem to only call a Godsmoot to deal with a cosmically significant time sensitive matter. The kind of stuff nobody really wants to dally on for long, although 'long' is relative given a deity's lifespan.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The fix for that is that they seem to only call a Godsmoot to deal with a cosmically significant time sensitive matter. The kind of stuff nobody really wants to dally on for long, although 'long' is relative given a deity's lifespan.
    Source? Because so far we have a sample size of one, and I don't think we can extrapolate too terribly much from that.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #707

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Source? Because so far we have a sample size of one, and I don't think we can extrapolate too terribly much from that.
    In fact, Wrecan who's been to a number of 'moots before does not expect anything shockingly big to come out of it. Of course, a matter that requires the attention of all three pantheons must be of a cosmic or near-cosmic scale, but that does not mean it cannot be something boringly trivial at the same time.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

It's divine judge duty

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

In fact, Wrecan who's been to a number of 'moots before does not expect anything shockingly big to come out of it. Of course, a matter that requires the attention of all three pantheons must be of a cosmic or near-cosmic scale, but that does not mean it cannot be something boringly trivial at the same time.
    Given the number of times that they have done this, the destruction of the world, from the PoV of the gods, is a trivial decision to make. But some would rather see this version (OoTS world, V 3.7million or whatever) progress than scrap it and start over yet again.

20. - Top - End - #710

After today's strip, I can't help but notice that Quippie was only on one page before now.

Technically more of a tool than an ally, but it's the sort of misdirect that I could at least get a good chuckle out of.
    Last edited by DapperWarlock; 2020-11-27 at 04:11 PM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #711

Lurked for a while, but I made an account to get this idea out of my head:

Do crayon pages count? It's generally accepted, AFAIK, that crayon pages aren't literal depictions of what happened. If we accept that they don't count as "appearances by a character"-on the same level as the wanted posters of Nale that the bounty hunters had when they captured Elan, Haley, and V- then I can think of two characters that may fit this description- Drukon's Dad, Tenrin, who appears in non-crayon in 1129, page 2, panel 6 and the Snarl, who appears in a non-crayon on page 945, second-to-last panel.

These ideas both have weaknesses. It's arguable weather or not Tenrin is a "major character." He's more important than, say, That guy with a Halberd, but we are looking for a major character that's only seen on one panel, and, also, it is a sequence that is exclusively in Durkon's head.

The Snarl is more of a plot device than a character, but it's still worth considering.

22. - Top - End - #712

Weren't some of the gods only seen during the vote?

(And on a similar note, I think Giggles the Clown also only appeared on one page)

Gods are major by virtue of being gods, right?
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-11-28 at 09:48 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

23. - Top - End - #713

Quote Originally Posted by Argis13 View Post

Do crayon pages count? It's generally accepted, AFAIK, that crayon pages aren't literal depictions of what happened. If we accept that they don't count as "appearances by a character"-on the same level as the wanted posters of Nale that the bounty hunters had when they captured Elan, Haley, and V- then I can think of two characters that may fit this description- Drukon's Dad, Tenrin, who appears in non-crayon in 1129, page 2, panel 6 and the Snarl, who appears in a non-crayon on page 945, second-to-last panel.

These ideas both have weaknesses. It's arguable weather or not Tenrin is a "major character." He's more important than, say, That guy with a Halberd, but we are looking for a major character that's only seen on one panel, and, also, it is a sequence that is exclusively in Durkon's head.

The Snarl is more of a plot device than a character, but it's still worth considering.
    Technically, it doesn't have to be a major character. If you check the original Word of the Giant, you'll see that what we are looking for is just about any random one-shot character who will become an important ally.
    (Mind you, I don't think crayon appearances do not count, though.)

24. - Top - End - #714

Technically, it doesn't have to be a major character. If you check the original Word of the Giant, you'll see that what we are looking for is just about any random one-shot character who will become an important ally.
    (Mind you, I don't think crayon appearances do not count, though.)
    Totally forgot the original Word of Giant .

I think the drawings don't really count primarily because of the distinction drawn with Tenrin's appearances: most of the time, he's seen only in crayon, it may or may not have happened in the way we see it. However, when Sigdi is saying "I NEVER LET GO," we see it in stick figure, to show us that this really happened. Stick figure is "objective," crayon is "subjective." At least, that's my interpretation.

Why do you think the crayon drawings count?

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

.... Come to think of it that description would also apply to Serini since she only appeared as a drawing in her own diary and all her other appearances were crayon
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #716

Totally forgot the original Word of Giant .

I think the drawings don't really count primarily because of the distinction drawn with Tenrin's appearances: most of the time, he's seen only in crayon, it may or may not have happened in the way we see it. However, when Sigdi is saying "I NEVER LET GO," we see it in stick figure, to show us that this really happened. Stick figure is "objective," crayon is "subjective." At least, that's my interpretation.

Why do you think the crayon drawings count?
    I prefer to err on the side of caution, especially since the Giant did not specify what, exactly, are we to understand by „appeared.” Subsequently, whenever someone is visible on a page or panel or whatever (be that in crayon, as an illusion conjured up by Thor or in a hypothetical situation someone is merely thinking about), I'll consider that an appearance. Heck, as illustrated by a post above, I am ready to count such things as a namedrop.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Weren't some of the gods only seen during the vote?
    Almost none of the gods were seen during the vote; in almost every case, we only saw their high priests. Loki, Tyr, and Hel had summoned proxies, but the rest of the Northern pantheon did not appear at all during the Godsmoot.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ogre in the Playground

But they all spoke through their priests. Speaking offscreen counts as an appearance.
    Last edited by Ron Miel; 2020-11-28 at 06:40 PM.
    -.____________________

29. - Top - End - #719

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    But they all spoke through their priests. Speaking offscreen counts as an appearance.
    Eh, debatable. I personally wouldn't count it--speaking and appearing are two different things. Just because their speech bubble made an appearance doesn't necessarily mean the character also did.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #720

I think I have it.

He's on this page. It's Belkar's conscience. After all, we just got a telepathic link hooked up, so now people might get to hear what's going on inside that head of his.

And heck, maybe it's even the guy on this page.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.