New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

[smallvoice]I'm still hoping for Wanda.[/smallvoice]

So... is this helpful one shot character likely to be awaiting them within the dungeon they've just entered?

2. - Top - End - #722
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Whispri View Post
    So... is this helpful one shot character likely to be awaiting them within the dungeon they've just entered?
    I think I'd go with a „not really.”

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, I think it's very probable. It's about time the character showed up.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

4. - Top - End - #724

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    It's about time the character showed up.
    Well, that's definitely the case. Sole problem is, I can't quite see what on earth anyone we have previously seen would be doing in the hidden layer of a specific dungeon.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Well, that's definitely the case. Sole problem is, I can't quite see what on earth anyone we have previously seen would be doing in the hidden layer of a specific dungeon.
    ... Except the Holey Brotherhood.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Serini may have some living, sentient caretakers charged with defending her Gate. Those caretakers might have agents, agents charged with threat detection or monster replacement or sourcing supplies for repairs or something. (Or maybe sandwich runs.) I'm sure one of the countless incidental characters we've seen in the last, like, 1700 pages could plausibly have been such an agent.

I doubt that's what's actually going on - none of the theories about the fabled Major Character have sounded too likely so far, so why should this one be any more accurate? - but it makes sense to me.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2021-01-06 at 01:12 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

It is possible that the character has already shown up. Maybe the rat's head will make itself useful many times in the book.
    -.____________________

8. - Top - End - #728
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

i am still hoping for the celestial tree sloth. i know it is a one off joke, but maybe it does exist somewhere and could play a role like the sloth in the magicians series. (the second book?)
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

9. - Top - End - #729
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

What about a black dragon hybrid?

V killed all of those dragons, including a wizard dragon I think. maybe 1 of those was killed and was revived. and this is the major character who was in 1 panel. He or she will be a major character later.

An invisible dragon lifting people because he made himself invisible through his own magical talent could work.

or 1 of the black dragon relatives. and since the corpse was still fresh, it could be raised and the mama dragon was going to raise her son, but the ashes were absorbed into the swamp.
    Vae Victus!

10. - Top - End - #730
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

What about Haley's mother? I don't know if she was already mentioned, but I think she appeared only one time. Though I do not own Origin of the PCs, so I don't know if shd has any appearance there.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ettin in the Playground

It is possible that the character has already shown up. Maybe the rat's head will make itself useful many times in the book.
    Maybe the character is the rat's head.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that's what I meant. What did you think I was saying?
    -.____________________

13. - Top - End - #733

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Serini may have some living, sentient caretakers charged with defending her Gate. Those caretakers might have agents, agents charged with threat detection or monster replacement or sourcing supplies for repairs or something. (Or maybe sandwich runs.) I'm sure one of the countless incidental characters we've seen in the last, like, 1700 pages could plausibly have been such an agent.

I doubt that's what's actually going on - none of the theories about the fabled Major Character have sounded too likely so far, so why should this one be any more accurate? - but it makes sense to me.
    Well, for my part, I still think the mystery ally is going to be the IFCC's vessel, so…

14. - Top - End - #734
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Don't know how it happened, but I just now found this thread. I did see some talking about character that appeared on one page only, but never got into it. Will read the full discussion in some time, but for now my idea, though I don't know if it was said before.

There was a very old page with foodstuffs and drinks characters fighting each other.
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0301.html

Then later Thor mentions two of them.
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1140.html

Maybe someone of their world?
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2021-01-07 at 08:22 AM.

15. - Top - End - #735

My thought was that whatever they find in this tunnel will qualify this single use to be significant enough to count Quippie as an "important ally." (And I'm just pedantic enough to justify that by pointing out that Rich said they'd be an important ally in the first half of the book, not throughout the first half of the book.) But maybe there'll be more opportunities for him to shine later.

Personally, I'd count Quippie as more of a tool than an ally, but it's a funny enough misdirect that I wouldn't be disappointed if Rich confirmed it, seeing how in a strictly technical sense he was a character who was given a name in the one page we saw him.

But it's entirely possible that Haley using him was an intentional red herring, and even more possible that it was entirely unintentional and Rich wasn't even thinking about any of this when he wrote that scene. Won't know for sure until someone more plausible shows up, I guess.
    Spoiler: Sig Art
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it

16. - Top - End - #736

Quote Originally Posted by DapperWarlock View Post
    My thought was that whatever they find in this tunnel will qualify this single use to be significant enough to count Quippie as an "important ally." (And I'm just pedantic enough to justify that by pointing out that Rich said they'd be an important ally in the first half of the book, not throughout the first half of the book.) But maybe there'll be more opportunities for him to shine later.

Personally, I'd count Quippie as more of a tool than an ally, but it's a funny enough misdirect that I wouldn't be disappointed if Rich confirmed it, seeing how in a strictly technical sense he was a character who was given a name in the one page we saw him.

But it's entirely possible that Haley using him was an intentional red herring, and even more possible that it was entirely unintentional and Rich wasn't even thinking about any of this when he wrote that scene. Won't know for sure until someone more plausible shows up, I guess.
    Y'see, I have some difficulty viewing a mummified osquip head as a character. I mean, there's a reason why no one suggested that we should add the ogre chieftain's cloak/headgear to the list of candidates.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Pixie in the Playground

Y'see, I have some difficulty viewing a mummified osquip head as a character. I mean, there's a reason why no one suggested that we should add the ogre chieftain's cloak/headgear to the list of candidates.
    I'd be inclined to agree, a severed head isn't much of an ally, it's a tool. Now, if the Giant had said that the character would be an important asset, I'd say it might be the osquip, but with that wording? No.

I'm putting my money on the Holey Brotherhood - sure, they were enemies, but we didn't see how they were defeated or why they believed in the right for holes to exist, so it could very well be that Serini got one or some of them on her side somehow, convincing them that they should help her defend Kraagor's gate.

One out-there argument for the Holey Brotherhood to be involved: The whole canyon is covered in holes. All of these dungeon entrances are holes!
    Last edited by CawCawMarmalade; 2021-01-09 at 06:42 AM.

18. - Top - End - #738

He was as much of a character as Scruffy is... at least, while he was alive. He was given a backstory, kinda. Still, yeah, it's a stretch. He's not so much an ally now as a macabre paperweight.
    Spoiler: Sig Art
    Show

Unnamed OOTS Ripoff Inspired Work coming to whatever medium is most convenient at the time I get off my lazy ass and make it

19. - Top - End - #739

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Maybe the character is the rat's head.
    By helping deactivate the trap by lending his skull, the rat did greatly help the Order, there. Is there a rat we've only seen once, prior to that? Maybe the rat was the ally we've been looking for all along.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    By helping deactivate the trap by lending his skull, the rat did greatly help the Order, there. Is there a rat we've only seen once, prior to that? Maybe the rat was the ally we've been looking for all along.
    That rat appeared on one of the bonus pages in the print version of Utterly Dwarfed.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

They're in such a remote and inaccessible place... it seems unlikely they can meet anyone here from the outside. One possibility would be someone that came in search of the Gate and has been trapped for many years in these dimensional dungeons.

Rich says "Important ally in the first half of the book". Since we're around page 40 and the book should be at least 350 pages long, we have a margin of around 100 pages before the appearance. I believe it's more likely they meet whoever this mystery ally is in the next location visited by the Order.

22. - Top - End - #742

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBV View Post
    I believe it's more likely they meet whoever this mystery ally is in the next location visited by the Order.
    Interesting... Where do you think location 2 is? I'm not saying that the story will stay in the canyon, I'm just wondering where else they'd go and why they'd go there.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Did that dwarf that showed up on Xykon's globe ever pop up anywhwere else? Before showing him it showed that knight guy Elan worked under, so maybe the dwarf is also someone of note idk not sure

24. - Top - End - #744

Yet another idea: it's the turtle. Judging by its speed and its opposable thumbs, it has to be a very special turtle.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My guess: One of the Eastern gods, like Zeus or Ares.

I have thought for a while that it isn't true that the Snarl destroys everything. Or at least, it is a simplification of what it does. So it might not have eaten Zeus and the other Eastern gods, but absorbed them into a new world of sorts.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Heksefatter View Post
    My guess: One of the Eastern gods, like Zeus or Ares.

I have thought for a while that it isn't true that the Snarl destroys everything. Or at least, it is a simplification of what it does. So it might not have eaten Zeus and the other Eastern gods, but absorbed them into a new world of sorts.
    How would you account for the fact that they would likely be dead anyway, with no belief, worship, or anything for billions and billions of years?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

27. - Top - End - #747
    Troll in the Playground

How would you account for the fact that they would likely be dead anyway, with no belief, worship, or anything for billions and billions of years?
    Maybe, there is something for the gods to "eat" in the world inside the world ....following the logic of the discussion, of course. Though having a bunch of gods around would be probably be cheating since it was said to be a single character.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

28. - Top - End - #748
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    Maybe, there is something for the gods to "eat" in the world inside the world ....following the logic of the discussion, of course. Though having a bunch of gods around would be probably be cheating since it was said to be a single character.
    You could solve both problems by having one god survive by "feeding" on the essence of the others somehow. But a god cannibal just doesn't seem like the makings of a solid ally character.

Who knows what the inside world is like though. Could be more people to worship them in there. We just don't know enough.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2021-01-31 at 11:47 PM.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, assume that the Snarl isn't entirely destructive. Instead, it is building something. Possible evidence of this is the world behind the gate.

This world could have mortals taken by the Snarl. It could also have the Eastern gods. They would then survive on the worship of mortals in there.

I am not certain, but I consider it an option.

30. - Top - End - #750

Indeed, the Snarl could be some kind of wormhole thingy, that sucks in things from this world and brings them to another. The eastern pantheon, as well as mortals from past lost worlds, could all be over there.

Not betting on this being the case, but if there's a planet there... there also being people isn't much of a stretch.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.