New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

The only person we know of to scan the planet found no life at all. Not even fish.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The only person we know of to scan the planet found no life at all. Not even fish.
    She was then attacked, and we don't know whether she died.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

That's misleading. She didn't detect life sensing through the portal, and found it unusual she wasn't able to find fish in the ocean, but it's not remotely the same as "scanning the planet", and I think that would have been well beyond the abilities of even high-level psionics. What I assume is it means it doesn't have a normal ecosystem, but it doesn't preclude life or sparse populations on the inner world.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    That's misleading. She didn't detect life sensing through the portal, and found it unusual she wasn't able to find fish in the ocean, but it's not remotely the same as "scanning the planet", and I think that would have been well beyond the abilities of even high-level psionics. What I assume is it means it doesn't have a normal ecosystem, but it doesn't preclude life or sparse populations on the inner world.
    Yeah, there could easily be, say, small communities who live huddled around the planet, living in fear of The Snarl’s periodic rampages where it scours all life from portions of its world.

It’s a much less parsimonious explanation than “Laurin detected no life because the world is lifeless,” so I’m not betting on it, but it’s always possible.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    I mean, what's the range on that scan? 30ft? 60ft? 1 mile?

I doubt a non-epic psion can scan an entire planet.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    I mean, what's the range on that scan? 30ft? 60ft? 1 mile?

I doubt a non-epic psion can scan an entire planet.
    Laurin apparently expected to find life with a scan and considered it significant that she did not.

We don't know if she's done a survey of how many fish are in range on average on open ocean, but she's convinced there's nothing on the other side till the snarl goes active on her and she knows what her range is and may know something about how common fish are in open ocean.

I'll accept that life is either rare or non-existent in the oceans of snarl-world till proven otherwise.
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2021-02-02 at 02:28 PM.

7. - Top - End - #757

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Laurin apparently expected to find life with a scan and considered it significant that she did not.

We don't know if she's done a survey of how many fish are in range on average on open ocean, but she's convinced there's nothing on the other side till the snarl goes active on her and she knows what her range is and may know something about how common fish are in open ocean.

I'll accept that life is either rare or non-existent in the oceans of snarl-world till proven otherwise.
    I don't know if I'd say she expected anything at all, or that she displays inordinate levels of surprise. She's probing it, to try to know what it is.

Also she only detects the Snarl moments before it blows up in her face.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

8. - Top - End - #758

I'm thinking the Green Voice, or possibly the Orange depending on whether each webcomic strip counts as one page.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    I'm thinking the Green Voice, or possibly the Orange depending on whether each webcomic strip counts as one page.
    I'm inclined to assume a page is a page (rather than a strip). Also, that wouldn't be nice of the Giant.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Heksefatter View Post
    Well, assume that the Snarl isn't entirely destructive. Instead, it is building something. Possible evidence of this is the world behind the gate.

This world could have mortals taken by the Snarl. It could also have the Eastern gods. They would then survive on the worship of mortals in there.

I am not certain, but I consider it an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Indeed, the Snarl could be some kind of wormhole thingy, that sucks in things from this world and brings them to another. The eastern pantheon, as well as mortals from past lost worlds, could all be over there.

Not betting on this being the case, but if there's a planet there... there also being people isn't much of a stretch.
    Assume this is true. The original mortals from the first planet continued on, then. They knew about the other pantheons, and certainly would have worshipped thr other pantheons. As belief and worship makes reality on a cosmic scale, it stands to reason that Snarl-World has all four pantheons (albeit probably in somewhat different forms than Stickworld). These pantheons have had a peaceful co-existancr with the Snarl for billions upon billions of years. Why would they have any desire to help these other pantheons who are effectively mirror dimension pantheons?

Further, the Snarl is definitely destructive in that it is constantly destroying the planet/Material Plane, so arguing that it is not destructive in terms of mortal life or gods seems like a tenuous claim, especially with very little supporting evidence.

Finally, any solution that has the Eastern pantheon survive would seem to completely remove any agency that The Dark One has, turning him from a massively existential moral dilemma into a one-dimensional plot device. It's possible that would not be the case, but I cannot figure out how myself.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #761

Just because the gods of green survive doesn't mean they're willing to have anything to do with the other pantheons. So they'd still have to deal with TDO, it's just that with the possibility of them going green TDO would have a reason to start talking instead of just killing the messenger.

This won't happen, of course, because it would mean that the Order would become spectators in their own comic.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    A page is a page. Many strips are one page; some are more than that. When a strip is more than one page, it's usually broken up as such when it's posted. (For the most recent example, #1223 is two pages.)

13. - Top - End - #763
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I'm thinking the character might be Demeter? She's a green pantheon goddess that was only shown once. Also, the plants in the warehouse might be flourishing there due to her influence.

14. - Top - End - #764

The Eastern pantheon is dead and gone for eons at this point.

15. - Top - End - #765

The Eastern pantheon is dead and gone for eons at this point.
    Or so we've been told. But it's outright confirmed the gods don't know everything about the Snarl.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ettin in the Playground

Any Eastern Pantheon members still being alive undercuts many of the major conflicts of the plot.

17. - Top - End - #767

And again removes the focus from the Order and makes them spectators as the DMPCs solve the problem. Which Rich isn't going to do. Half the point of the last book was making sure the power players are tied up for the duration of the crisis.

18. - Top - End - #768

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Any Eastern Pantheon members still being alive undercuts many of the major conflicts of the plot.
    Not if they're trapped on the world the Snarl seems to have created and unable to communicate the fact they're still alive. Remember, the gods have zero clue about that.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    Not if they're trapped on the world the Snarl seems to have created and unable to communicate the fact they're still alive. Remember, the gods have zero clue about that.
    Then the question becomes how did she survive all those eons without any worship?
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

20. - Top - End - #770

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Then the question becomes how did she survive all those eons without any worship?
    By being worshipped on the world the Snarl created?

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Alternatively, The Snarl itself could be sustaining them - keeping them prisoner, learning from them, whatever.

To be clear, I don’t think that’s what’s happening, as we have no evidence that the Eastern Gods are still around in any capacity - I just don’t think it’s quite as implausible as some other people think. There are ways they could theoretically be included that would be dramatically appropriate. For instance, perhaps the Order has to choose between (1) letting the OOTSverse gods know that their Eastern brethren are still alive, which would provide them with a fourth quiddity and make The Dark One unnecessary, and (2) keeping the Eastern Gods a secret, forcing the gods to negotiate with The Dark One and thus helping to relieve the goblinoids of the unjust situation they find themselves in.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2021-02-14 at 02:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    For instance, perhaps the Order has to choose between (1) letting the OOTSverse gods know that their Eastern brethren are still alive, which would provide them with a fourth quiddity and make The Dark One unnecessary,
    Unnecessary? Five quidities would totally trump the four that the Snarl is made of. Four is to draw even, five would be a clear win.

Having said that, I am convinced that the Eastern Gods are dead-dead and not coming back.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't think any green gods will show up, because an important part of the plot hinges on Redcloak being the only way to permanently seal the Snarl. Having a green god show up would completely invalidate that.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Unnecessary? Five quidities would totally trump the four that the Snarl is made of. Four is to draw even, five would be a clear win.

Having said that, I am convinced that the Eastern Gods are dead-dead and not coming back.
    Sure, but it might not make a difference; the gods might not be able to agree on negotiating with The Dark One if they can work with the Eastern Pantheon instead. Similarly, if the Order is sufficiently motivated to help bring about justice for the goblinoids, they might not want to even take the risk of making TDO irrelevant. It all depends on how The Giant would like to write the story.

That being said, I agree that the Eastern Gods are highly unlikely to reappear. They are very probably dead and gone forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelenius View Post
    I don't think any green gods will show up, because an important part of the plot hinges on Redcloak being the only way to permanently seal the Snarl. Having a green god show up would completely invalidate that.
    Not if The Order has to choose between (1) somehow freeing the Eastern Gods from The Snarl, making TDO irrelevant, and (2) keeping the Eastern Gods out of the picture so as to help the goblinoids get justice.

Additionally, the Eastern Gods could be unwilling to help, either because of Stockholm Syndrome or because surprise, they've been buddies with The Snarl all along! Or maybe they've lost their status as full deities and are too weak to help. I don't like any of these options as much as the first one I mentioned, but they're all theoretically possible.

Basically, my point isn't "The Eastern Gods are alive" or even "it's reasonably likely that any of the Eastern Gods are alive." It's "The Eastern Gods are probably gone for good - but that's because we have no evidence that any of them are still alive, not because there's no way for Rich to make the story work well if any do happen to be around."
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

By whom? The only scan we've had declared the area scanned to be lifeless, even of animal minds.

Alternatively, The Snarl itself could be sustaining them - keeping them prisoner, learning from them, whatever.
    If it could feed them with it's divine-rage based power, I'm guessing that only counts as one kind of food. So Demeter would come out seriously Bonkers and possibly way less powerful than she was...
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

Not if The Order has to choose between (1) somehow freeing the Eastern Gods from The Snarl, making TDO irrelevant, and (2) keeping the Eastern Gods out of the picture so as to help the goblinoids get justice.
    I really don't think that's Redcloak's goal anymore, whatever his protestations to the contrary.

Like Minrah said, Redcloak's a big phony. He's just pushing forward, throwing good lives after bad because finishing the Plan is more important to him than his reasons for doing it.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #777

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Fruit Pies. Delicious and nutritious. Everything a growing god needs.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelenius View Post
    Yes, this is my point, so, to this:

What purpose would they have to the story besides providing a green quiddity, which would undermine the major conflicts of the plot?

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Fruit Pies. Delicious and nutritious. Everything a growing god needs.
    But Demeter is fully grown. We weren't even talking about Persephone.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I, for one, find it interesting that despite the numerous accusations of plot advancement being deus ex machinae, some people like to theorize "what if a god just showed up out of nowhere all of a sudden to fix everything?"
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-02-15 at 03:07 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2