New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Turin_19 View Post
    The giant did call it energy, right?

Is there anything that can be concluded from
    This?
    Called what energy?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    They "become an important ally in the first half of the next book". If an Eastern God survived, is available and allies with the OOTS... that pretty much wipes out any need for the Dark One, no? Durkon's whole Mission From Thor becomes a red herring.
    Although, they might need five different colors of quiddity to keep it permanently sealed. Only four colors means that they're equally matched, but the Snarl can kill them much easier than they can it. So, even if an Eastern God is still alive, the Dark One might be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Turin_19 View Post
    The giant did call it energy, right?

Is there anything that can be concluded from
    This?
    Something from the Outer or Astral Planes, perhaps, that wouldn't necessarily have a physical form?
    Last edited by ElderSage; 2019-12-11 at 07:52 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ElderSage View Post
    Although, they might need five different colors of quiddity to keep it permanently sealed. Only four colors means that they're equally matched, but the Snarl can kill them much easier than they can it. So, even if an Eastern God is still alive, the Dark One might be necessary.
    Five colours would mean they could unmake the Snarl completely (provided they could get close enough, or create something that could), not just seal it. But that's a twist for AFTER the Dark One is on board, at most, since it would otherwise mean Plan T is accomplished early in the last chapter and the threat of the Snarl - and thus Redcloak & the Dark One's leverage for Goblin Equality and all that - is essentially gone. The four sets of gods seal Kragor's Gate beyond the ability of TDO's Ritual to open it on any of their home planes.

It just kills most of the drama built up over the chapters so far, especially Utterly Dwarfed - not to mention any reason for Redcloak & Xykon to not immediately turn on each other.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Yes. The whole point of the plot around the quiddities is that now the heroes can’t address their problem (the threat of the world being destroyed) without addressing the goblinoids’ problem (built-in metaphysical inequality).

Rich isn’t going to provide an end-run around that challenge by using the Eastern Gods, because the introduction of that challenge is very deliberate on his part. He’s written at length about the implicit bigotry in how monster races are often viewed/treated in D&D, and about his desire to address real-world issues with his strip.

If the Eastern Gods are introduced, it will not be as an alternative to reaching an accommodation with The Dark One and/or Redcloak.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2019-12-11 at 09:14 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    Yes. The whole point of the plot around the quiddities is that now the heroes can’t address their problem (the threat of the world being destroyed) without addressing the goblinoids’ problem (built-in metaphysical inequality).

Rich isn’t going to provide an end-run around that challenge by using the Eastern Gods, because the introduction of that challenge is very deliberate on his part. He’s written at length about the implicit bigotry in how monster races are often viewed/treated in D&D, and about his desire to address real-world issues with his strip.

If the Eastern Gods are introduced, it will not be as an alternative to reaching an accommodation with The Dark One and/or Redcloak.
    *100 emoji*

6. - Top - End - #66

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think there will be a better five quidditch solution but the goblin faction will be involved and their valid grievances addressed.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    Green voice is technically in multiple pages (of a multi-page strip). But Orange Voice is only in one - and since Orange Voice is only in one panel, presumably opposed to Xykon, and already present at the final Gate, I’d say that’s by far the most probable answer.
    It's precisely because it's so obvious that it can't possibly be the answer. It would be completely unsatisfying.

We knew as soon as we read #1189 that the voices were characters who are going to be significant next book. If the new hint refers to them, then there is no exciting new reveal. We are already speculating and guessing about who the voices are; Rich has no need to waste ink on making that feel more mysterious.

8. - Top - End - #68

• one of the adventurers Durkon tried to hire in the first book
    • the gnome artificer who was helping Belkar
    • the kobolds who rescued the Oracle

Trouble is, it could be just about anybody.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Halfling in the Playground

Obviously, it's the Ghost Flumph. He's also the orange voice. Mystery solved.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Tony the Celestial or the King of Nowhere would be fun, but I don't see how either one would happen or why.

There's so little to go on that I have trouble hooking on to anything that would make sense for one option or another.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew(Book 6 commentary)
    What, you still want a hint of something specific yet to come? Something you're not expecting? OK, how about this: Someone who has appeared in exactly one (1) page of the story so far (including all the prequel stories) will become an important ally in the first half of the next book. Good luck figuring that one out
    My bet is the fellow with a green-speech-bubble who has so far only appeared in exactly one page, the last one of Book 6.

"Good luck figuring that one out", as that caracter has only appeared under invisibility.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-12-12 at 04:55 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    "Good luck figuring that one out", as that caracter has only appeared under invisibility.
    Except several people have already raised that as a possibility, so it can't be all that obscure!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Yes, but figuring out what it is, is a whole different deal.

14. - Top - End - #74

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    My bet is the fellow with a green-speech-bubble who has so far only appeared in exactly one page, the last one of Book 6.

Except the green voice appears on two pages of the last strip, which is Three pages long.
    The orange voice only appears on one page though.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

For a really niche guess, there's the Angel-Roach. They only appeared in that one strip (that I'm aware of) and the Demon-roaches have played a role in the story before.

It's not much, but then, we don't have much to go on.

16. - Top - End - #76

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I would have guessed V's former master, Aarindarius but they appear in both main continuity and a prequel comic. Drat.
    Technically, Aarindarius' appearance in the main strip has only been in hypothetical scenarios.

If we twist and contrive our interpretation of "appeared in exactly (1) page of the story" to mean "actually participating as part of the actual plot" ... then we could say A's only real appearance is in the prequel when evicting V from the ivory tower.

Yeah, I'm not buying it either.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe Elan's mom? How many times has she shown up?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Maybe Elan's mom? How many times has she shown up?
    At least once in a cutaway gag (possibly more that I'm not remembering) and again inside Girard's Final Boss illusion, so I'd say she's out.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe it could be one of Azure City's allies?

20. - Top - End - #80

Obscure guesses:
    • one of the souls in Lee’s inbox
    • a resident of Lickmyorangeballshalfling
    • the doily
    • the dragon on the cover of Playdrake
    • the builders who assembled Dorukan’s dungeon
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

It's obviously MitD, he's been in lots of pages but I don't think he's actually appeared in any.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #82

Unfortunately it can't be the ranger Mrs Kapoor, because she was awesome.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It's obviously MitD, he's been in lots of pages but I don't think he's actually appeared in any.
    Then it can't be him, the the character in question must appear in one.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Unfortunately it can't be the ranger Mrs Kapoor, because she was awesome.
    Just remember, The Giant said it couldn't be on more than one page in either the main story or in prequels. He classified That book as a side story, so we can count it!

Yes, I know its just a stupid justification. But its funny to me.

On an actual discussion note, I couldn't find anyone in the stories in that book that fit the criteria of only one page and memorable/powerful enough that they could help.

In total single appearances:

There's an evil banana (squished)
    2 Azure City Soldiers (also, likely already allied so not likely to be a new ally) - (also likely as background characters in other parts of the story.)
    A hobgoblin Chef (who's in Gobbotopia, and not likely to be an ally.)
    There are the 8 merchants who Therkla did the extended fetch quest with. (Most of them are either dead/ or are already allied.)

Maybe we should just compile this from every book, and see who we have?
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    Just remember, The Giant said it couldn't be on more than one page in either the main story or in prequels. He classified That book as a side story, so we can count it!

Yes, I know its just a stupid justification. But its funny to me.
    He actually said "exactly one," so barring any other appearances I'm unaware of, she doesn't meet the criteria that way either.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

True.

On the plus side there are 4 different merchants in Uncivil Servant that qualify. I think we can reasonably rule them out as not being helpful.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

2 Azure City Soldiers (also, likely already allied so not likely to be a new ally) - (also likely as background characters in other parts of the story.)
    that's it! the day will be saved by That-Guy-With-A-Halberd!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

My favorite candidates are:
    Tiamat (depending how we count her appearance). And because i believe GB and OB are half-dragon and she probably want to ally with TDO.
    Shoulderpad Guy. Because i'd like the idea of seeing some other guys from the Vector Legion.

A hobgoblin Chef (who's in Gobbotopia, and not likely to be an ally.)
    I wondered since i read GDGU if that hobgoblin cleric-turned-leader who appeared in only one page in the main comics was Jirix.
    If it's not Jirix, and if GDGU doesn't count, that guy (who had some levels) could me a match.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    • the doily
    Who?
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2019-12-12 at 02:35 PM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Now I'm thinking about Goblin Dan. Did he appear in more than one strip? I recall he had a franchise in Gobbotopia, but can't recall if he was there himself. Makes sense he would travel to Monster Hollow in search of more Hydras to supply new restaurants.

Or perhaps Shelby the Dragonslayer. Maybe he managed to get raised somehow.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-12-12 at 02:36 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Who?
    The gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!!