New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 102526272829303132333435
Results 1,021 to 1,033 of 1033
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I put it as he/him. Just because it's easier to tell who's speaking with "he said she said he said he said she said" than "she said she said she said she said she said"
    But that falls apart when Elan and Sunny are speaking, like in the current comic.

Alternatively, Sunny could use “they/them”, which works until V amd Sunny have a conversation.

Or, how about “ze/zir”?
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-07-23 at 11:25 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    But that falls apart when Elan and Sunny are speaking, like in the current comic.

Alternatively, Sunny could use “they/them”, which works until V amd Sunny have a conversation.

Or, how about “ze/zir”?
    Yeah, this personal preference of mine falls apart the moment you introduce more than 2 characters.

But in theory Sunny will mostly be speaking with Serini.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sticking with them. Should Sunny start talking with Vaarsuvius, I'll do what the Order does and use V as a pronoun substitute.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'm sticking with she/her, if only because those are the only pronouns I've ever heard somebody by the name of Sunny referred to by.

Technically beholders are genderless, but we have yet to see if Rich is going with that canon. He may not even know it; I had to look it up just now in order to find out.

But in theory Sunny will mostly be speaking with Serini.
    Since - again, in theory - Sunny will be a major ally to the Order during the first half of this book, my guess is that she'll be speaking with the Order a fair amount, too.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2021-07-23 at 01:13 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

5. - Top - End - #1025

Lizardfolk

I put it as he/him. Just because it's easier to tell who's speaking with "he said she said he said he said she said" than "she said she said she said she said she said"
    I read a post a few days ago about how English doesn't differentiate between first and second person pronouns. 'Alex stepped towards Barry. Barry touched his face' is ambiguous as to who's face Barry is touching (is it Alex or his own?). Apparently Swedish differentiates between 1st/2nd person and makes it way easier to write gay scenes.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I read a post a few days ago about how English doesn't differentiate between first and second person pronouns. 'Alex stepped towards Barry. Barry touched his face' is ambiguous as to who's face Barry is touching (is it Alex or his own?). Apparently Swedish differentiates between 1st/2nd person and makes it way easier to write gay scenes.
    These are third person pronouns, though. First and second person are "I" and "You".
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's actually the Nominative and Accusative case.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    I think it's actually the Nominative and Accusative case.
    This. It wouldn't be ambiguous in Czech either.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

9. - Top - End - #1029

No -- in languages that distinguish nominative and accusative, such as Latin, accusative is used for the direct object, face in this example. His would still be in the possessive or genitive form, so it doesn't help to distinguish.

The term you actually wanted was third and fourth person: in the sentence "Alex stepped towards Barry. He touched his face" some languages have one word for he/his that corresponds to the main topic (the first subject mentioned) and another word for he/his to mean other people who are mentioned. So "He[3] touched his[4] face" would mean "Alex touched Barry's face" and vice versa.

10. - Top - End - #1030

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    No -- in languages that distinguish nominative and accusative, such as Latin, accusative is used for the direct object, face in this example. His would still be in the possessive or genitive form, so it doesn't help to distinguish.

The term you actually wanted was third and fourth person: in the sentence "Alex stepped towards Barry. He touched his face" some languages have one word for he/his that corresponds to the main topic (the first subject mentioned) and another word for he/his to mean other people who are mentioned. So "He[3] touched his[4] face" would mean "Alex touched Barry's face" and vice versa.
    I never learnt all the grammar terminology; when I was at school it was more important we learnt how to use the tenses than all the long words to describe short words. But you're right, first and second person was completely wrong. 1st and 2nd would be unambiguous (I touched my/your/his/her/their face). English is better equipped for self-insert fanfic.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

The chicken.
    It will be the chicken.
    (page 41 of the Start of Darkness book).

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Barlion View Post
    The chicken.
    It will be the chicken.
    (page 41 of the Start of Darkness book).
    Nope. It's Sunny.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Closed for Necromancy.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2