New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Hasn't Giggles appeared twice? In his first appearance in the early strips, and again on Orc Island? Or am I misremembering?
    I Think you are thinking of Banjhulhu. Which is of course also a valid candidate.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Let us go back to the early characters. My bet is on Fruit PieTM Sorcerer.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Is six weeks too short a time to run an official Guessing thread, with pros and cons of each candidate?
    Going by previous forum interactions, I'll guess 'no'

4. - Top - End - #124

You assume the character will be revealed in six weeks. It could be several months.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    You assume the character will be revealed in six weeks. It could be several months.
    Or, heck, several years, depending on where in the story this ally comes into the picture. Someone should definitely slap up a pros and cons thread with all the different possibilities on there from the character appearances thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

6. - Top - End - #126
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    Or, heck, several years, depending on where in the story this ally comes into the picture.
    The Giant explicitly said this person would be an ally in the "first half of the next book". I'd normally think that would mean they'd show up quite early on.

7. - Top - End - #127

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The Giant explicitly said this person would be an ally in the "first half of the next book". I'd normally think that would mean they'd show up quite early on.
    It's doubtful to be strip 1 panel 1 of the next update though. Depending on the book length, the first half of the book might constitute the next year in updates.
    Let me think of pros/cons for Holey Brotherhood. I'm not the one to curate the thread as I'm on a mobile and hate Banjo (and by extension, Giggles) and my last meaningful contribution to the forum was Phyrnglsnyx.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

How about that group o adventures trying to defeat Tarquins group in a flashback? They were trying to get to a treasure before Tarquin did but failed.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    The Giant hand puppet monster (That I cannot remember the name of)
    Assuming you're referring to this one, that'd be Ollie of Kukla, Fran and Ollie. And, contrary to the strip title, I only had to ask my mother, not my grandparents.

I would further like to remind you of this candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    I nominate the gnome news fox.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2019-12-13 at 01:41 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130

ElfWarriorGuy

Prediction time.

In my experience, in situations like this, after the reveal happens some annoying jerkwad inevitably pops up to say "Well, its OBVIOUS it was going to be the angel roach. I knew it the whole time." The best way to combat this is to actually keep track of who guessed what. So, when that person shows up, everyone can then point to them guessing RC's Niece, which was not only not the angel roach but also a guess since she had way more than one appearance. Pursuing that goal, I'm going to track everyone's predicts.

Lets keep it consistent with the MitD predictions. Obviously, having a single guess is best for bragging rights, but if you really want you can have up to 3 guesses. They can be rank ordered (1st choice X, 2nd choice Y, 3rd choice Z) or equal-weight ("its one of these 3"). If enough people guess, I'll keep a league-table of the most popular guesses.

I'll track them here unless we start a new thread. I've gone through the thread and added anyone who said anything like "I think its X" or "I'm guessing that its X", or joked that it might be a particular candidate and then ran with the joke instead of letting it die. Pelee probably doesn't *really* think its Xyklon the Consequential, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Gift Jeraff - 12/11/19 - Orange Voice or Shoulderpad Guy
    Lady Eowyn - 12/11/19 - Orange Voice
    Ornithologist - 12/11/19 - Serini
    Pelee - 12/11/19 - Xyklon the Consequential, 12/13/19 - Xyklon = Soon's Wife
    Toad - 12/11/19 - an Eastern God
    Grey Watcher - 12/11/19 - gnome news fox
    Riftwolf - 12/11/19 - Amir, 12/14/19 - Holey Brotherhood
    knag - 12/11/19 - Mr Belvedere
    Savil - 12/12/19 - Ghost Flumph
    The Pilgrim - 12/12/19 - Green Voice
    Petrocorus - 12/12/19 - Shoulderpad Guy = Tiamat, 12/13/19 - Shoulderpad Guy
    ElderSage - 12/13/19 - Popcorn, 12/14/19 - Popcorn > Giggles
    redemedic - 12/13/19 - Fruit Pie the Sorcerer
    Schoeswald - 12/13/19 - Aunt Ivy
    Ron Miel - 12/14/19 - Suzy Finklestein > King of Nowhere, 12/14/19 - Suzy Finkleystein > Aunt Ivy > King of Nowhere
    halfeye - 12/14/19 - MitD
    Sermil - 12/14/19 - Roy's Understudy
    Aelieren - 12/14/19 - Tony the Celestial = Shoulderpads Guy
    Joerg - 12/14/19 - One of the Northern Gods (Fenrir?)
    Malfarian - 12/15/19 - Durkon's Dad
    2.5 cats - 12/15/19 - A Tinkertown Gnome merchant
    Dausuul - 12/17/19 - Mia Starshine
    littebum2002 - 12/17/19 - that guy with a halberd
    b_jonas - 12/20/19 - Someone from the Mechane's crew > Haley's personality with green hair/dress from #381
    Personification - 12/24/19 - one of the Tinkertown gnomes/Firmament dwarves
    Starla - 12/24/19 - King of Somewhere > Bottlecap guy
    Lord Raziere - 12/25/19 - Kayannara
    Mike Havran - 12/26/19 - pair of adventures from #639 (grey warrior/green caster) > a bugbear from #1036
    Dire_Flumph - 12/27/19 - cleric of the Dark One who fell into the rift
    brian 333 - 12/27/19 - CPPD sketch artist
    Coventry - 12/28/19 - phone-answering infernal from #667 > red-robed older emissary from a southern country from Daigo and Kazumi's wedding
    Precure - 1/4/20 - Larry Gardener > Priest of Adad > Olivia Benson
    Last edited by Crusher; 2020-01-08 at 03:33 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

11. - Top - End - #131

Idea: In 999, we see the high priests of the other pantheons voting. I doubt any of those priests appeared elsewhere, and they are presumably high enough level to be important allies if they so choose.
    Too bad it's impossible, since the Godsmoot is still in session, and likely to remain for a while as the dwarves delay resuming their council.

Also: The two guys Durkon recruited (who have been suggested) were in Origin of the PCs, not the early strips. And they seemed too jokey for the job.

Addendum: And while he only appears once, Steve Rogers is trademarked and therefore highly unlikely.

PPS: Also, in #149, the previous supreme leader (not the one in GDGU: that one was a green goblin, this one an orange hobgoblin) appears and wisely pretends to not be the supreme leader. He might have useful information, but now that RC has Gobbotopia, I doubt he has any sway with the goblinoids.
    Last edited by Windscion; 2019-12-13 at 03:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

You know what, fresh off of my two correct predictions (and that in a different media thing I, on my own, case up with a theory that turned out to already be a popular one), I’ll actually give a definitive guess, Aunt Ivy.

EDIT: Also Serini, Green Voice, Popcorn, Fruit Pie, Shoulderpad Guy (unless if you’re really committed and want to ignore H&J) and Tiamat all have more than one page, Serini and Tiamat even have more than one normal online comic appearance, so I feel like those guesses (except maybe Shoulderpad Guy) shouldn’t stay in the counting post.

EDIT 2: Oh and for everyone guessing Giggles, he has 3 pages (the other two aren’t online I guess).
    Last edited by Schroeswald; 2019-12-13 at 03:16 PM.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The Giant being The Giant, he isn't the type to pull plot points out of his arse. DCF ended with Shojo and Miko shown. NCftPB ended showing Xykon's Army advancing to Azure City and the Linear Guild working on their plot. Kubota was shown in the ending of War and XP. While Tarquin was not shown at the end of DStP, the fact that Elan's and Haley's fathers were on the Western Continent was known. Hel was shown at the end of BRitF.

So whoever this mysterious new ally who has only been shown in one page is, it's logical and guessable.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    The Giant being The Giant, he isn't the type to pull plot points out of his arse. DCF ended with Shojo and Miko shown. NCftPB ended showing Xykon's Army advancing to Azure City and the Linear Guild working on their plot. Kubota was shown in the ending of War and XP. While Tarquin was not shown at the end of DStP, the fact that Elan's and Haley's fathers were on the Western Continent was known. Hel was shown at the end of BRitF.

So whoever this mysterious new ally who has only been shown in one page is, it's logical and guessable.
    All of which lead to the obvious conclusion that the ally will be Soon's wife, thus leading us to doubt what we have been told about the Snarl.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CJG View Post
    How about that group o adventures trying to defeat Tarquins group in a flashback? They were trying to get to a treasure before Tarquin did but failed.
    I don't see this, but i would like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Pelee - 12/11/19 - Xyklon the Consequential
    Who's that guy?

Petrocorus - 12/12/19 - Shoulderpad Guy or Tiamat
    Apparently, Tiamat has appeared several times in the comics.
    One time in crayons (273, Shojo's narration) and one time in Thor's narration (1143). Never herself, but image of her.
    She apparently appeared in 2 bonus comics in the books, but i don't know if this counts.
    I still think she's a possibility though.

I stand by Shoulderpad Guy.

For the record, my money is also on OB and GB being draconic creatures of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    .. thus leading us to doubt what we have been told about the Snarl.
    IMHO, the existence of a world inside the rift already put some doubts on what we know about him.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2019-12-13 at 03:51 PM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Apparently, Tiamat has appeared several times in the comics.
    One time in crayons (273, Shojo's narration) and one time in Thor's narration (1143). Never herself, but image of her.
    She apparently appeared in 2 bonus comics in the books, but i don't know if this counts.
    I still think she's a possibility though.
    What? How is 5 different appearances and two bonus comics apply to the qualification of 1 page, in all of OOTS? Maybe you could ignore two of her appearances (telephone and Godsmoot), but she still has 5 pages (oh, and at least one of them was in SoD, which I see no excuse for not counting), and I can’t think of any way to write them off and still leave one page.
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Serious guess: Suzy Finklestein. Shown in a flashback as Eugene's rival at school, and mentioned at least once as his adult rival at the Wizzy awards. Only appeared in one single panel in SoD. She'd be a powerful archmage now. About the same age as Eugene, she could still be alive. And she has a connection to Roy through her daughter.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

What? How is 5 different appearances and two bonus comics apply to the qualification of 1 page, in all of OOTS? Maybe you could ignore two of her appearances (telephone and Godsmoot), but she still has 5 pages (oh, and at least one of them was in SoD, which I see no excuse for not counting), and I can’t think of any way to write them off and still leave one page.
    I may have miscounted this. I didn't see 5 appearances. I need to check this.
    I was discounting the appearance in 1143 because it's actually an hologram of her, not her. And i'm not sure to count the one when the Oracle makes his ritual. So for me there was only 273.
    I just don't know for the other ones, i'll look into it.

I believe only a statue of her appear in the Godsmoot.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2019-12-13 at 04:12 PM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

19. - Top - End - #139

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Who's that guy?
    Oh, you should really read Start of Darkness. It's fantastic.

Also, I'm going to start calling Crusher Cusher.
    ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Pelee probably doesn't *really* think its Xyklon the Consequential, but I had to draw the line somewhere.
    Hooray, I'm the floor!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-13 at 04:21 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As much as I would like to see Vector Legion back on stage, I doubt SPG would be willing to become an ally; it has been stated VL are all quite Evil, and I doubt Giand would like to pull ''VL are offering aid'' thing again.

My immediate idea, and I'm quite surprised nobody has mentioned them, is the pair of adventurers who battled a black dragon during familicide event. They do seem quiet powerful and will certainly try to determine what the hell happened. The only mitigating factor is that Giant's phrasing implies there is only one such ally, and they are two of them.

In case GDGU does not count as a prequel, former Supreme Leader is a good bet.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Your theory includes the proposition that Thor expected Durkon and Minrah to know what he was talking about vis-a-vis sentient movie theater snacks, but Thor also expected Durkon and Minrah to know what he was talking about re the theoscopic particles, and even the dumbed down version of quiddity. Which shows that has no bearing on popcorn being a god.

Also, we did not see Popcorn represented in the Godsmoot, so that's a knock against him. And, further, gods are prohibited from direct intervention on the material world.

Popcorn will be a god over my cold, dead body, I tells ya!
    True, I acknowledge that the first bit about Thor may not be true. However, not every single one of the Northern Pantheon was represented at the Godsmoot, because as we saw with Hel, there has to be a high enough level cleric. Popcorn didn't have one.

...So, how close are you to dying of natural causes? Do I need to speed it up?
    (it's a joke. just figured I'd mention that because people get tetchy sometimes)

Edit: And Giggles is still a possible option!
    Last edited by ElderSage; 2019-12-13 at 04:32 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    My immediate idea, and I'm quite surprised nobody has mentioned them, is the pair of adventurers who battled a black dragon during familicide event. They do seem quiet powerful and will certainly try to determine what the hell happened. The only mitigating factor is that Giant's phrasing implies there is only one such ally, and they are two of them.
    What about one of the high school buddies in that last panel of the very next page?
    Last edited by Quartz; 2019-12-13 at 04:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by ElderSage View Post
    True, I acknowledge that the first bit about Thor may not be true. However, not every single one of the Northern Pantheon was represented at the Godsmoot, because as we saw with Hel, there has to be a high enough level cleric. Popcorn didn't have one.
    No existation without representation!

24. - Top - End - #144

...So, how close are you to dying of natural causes? Do I need to speed it up?
    (it's a joke. just figured I'd mention that because people get tetchy sometimes)

Edit: And Giggles is still a possible option!
    Can I once again point out that both Popcorn and Giggles have more than 1 page due to bonus content? Cause I'm doing that again.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    What about one of the high school buddies in that last panel of the very next page?
    Unlikely, they are copyrighted or trademarked characters, actual mascots of sports teams. (Or so I understand. I don't follow sports.) I doubt the Giant will try to use someone else's intellectual property, single panel jokes excepted.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Unlikely, they are copyrighted or trademarked characters, actual mascots of sports teams. (Or so I understand. I don't follow sports.) I doubt the Giant will try to use someone else's intellectual property, single panel jokes excepted.
    The teams in question are the Duke Blue Devils and the Arizona Sun Devils. The appearance isn't identical, but it's close, the characters are recognizable, and both are trademarks (not copyrights).

I am not an Intellectual property lawyer, but fair use does not apply to trademarks, so in theory parody and humor are not protected, however, trademarks aren't necessarily protected if there is no chance of product identity confusion, which there would not be for any reasonable use by Rich as long as he doesn't use the characters in publicity or on the cover.

That said, I would not risk using a trademarked character as a major character in a work, that really is just asking to get sued.
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2019-12-13 at 05:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

No existation without representation!
    Hel didn't have a representative for a really long time. She still existed, though.

Can I once again point out that both Popcorn and Giggles have more than 1 page due to bonus content? Cause I'm doing that again.
    Wait, really? Okay. Which books?
    Last edited by ElderSage; 2019-12-13 at 06:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

Wait, really? Okay. Which books?
    I don't actually own them, I'm just trusting the character appearances count thread, which doesn't actually say where they're from (but for Giggles I'd guess its W&XPs bonus content).
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149

Hel didn't have a representative for a really long time. She still existed, though.
    Well obviously that particular rule only applied to that specific Godsmoot.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm liking the idea of Fruit Pie being the one--Haleo and Julelan being removed from the actual story, his cameo there probably doesn't count as an appearance in this story. Plus it'd be really really funny.

But here's someone I don't think anyone else has considered...

Spoiler: On the Origin of PCs Spoiler
    Show
    ... what about that Monk from On the Origin of PCs? The one Belkar swooped in and verbally humiliated, taking the last spot in the Order from him?

A little flimsy, I know. He didn't seem to have a whole lot of personality, and he wasn't even given a name. But that also makes him a bit unique, in that, as a no-name character whose only appearance is in bonus content, he actually has not been cataloged in the Number of Character Appearances thread. So here's where--and I admit, this is assuming he scoured the Character Appearances thread and actually 1) remembered that monk at all, 2) noticed he wasn't on the list, and 3) had an idea of how to use this random character (from a book that he isn't really especially proud of compared to the other prequels) that he thought would be really cool--Rich may have had the chance to hint at his appearance while cleverly hiding the answer from anyone expecting to just look at the Appearances thread and find them that way, instead rewarding readers who actually went through and looked.

Again, I know it's flimsy, BUT...

Spoiler: Related to those OtOoPCs Spooliers
    Show
    I could kind of see him encountering the Order after all this time, and Belkar in particular, and I find the thought that maybe his life just spiraled in some insane other direction after Belkar harangued him and broke his faith in his chosen life path... actually kind of a fascinating idea. And maybe Rich thought that as well.

Or maybe even the opposite happened! Maybe his brief doubt in his abilities as a monk bounced back, and his resolve was strengthened, and after training and gaining levels now he's tracked down the Order to PROVE that he was worthy of being among their ranks because it turns out he's kind of an obsessive weirdo.

Anyway. Half of that was just the weird direction my brain takes ideas like this, but something about this one just really got me thinking. And I felt the need to retroactively justify all the checking and double-checking I did to make sure that yes, this man has been entirely overlooked by the Character Appearances counter.

Of course, there's always the remote possibility he's appeared in another place where he was actually given a name and that's why I couldn't find him.

Spoiler: One last "Origins" Spoolier
    Show
    Also, the two voices from the end of #1189 are totally the two outsiders Durkon almost-recruited while Roy was gathering the others CHANGE MY MIND*

*You don't have to I know this is even more flimsy
    Last edited by DapperWarlock; 2019-12-13 at 07:27 PM.