New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Holey Brotherhood
    Pros:
    Know about the rifts
    Have some investment in them
    Only appear in one panel
    Wouldn't be the first time a throw away gag morphed into something more meaningful

Cons:
    Appear to be nearer Dorukans Gate than North Pole by the background
    It's implied the Scribblers killed them all
    Girard said they were the dumbest villains he'd encountered

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Considering Girard's opinion of Soon, I'm not sure I trust his assessment of people that much.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I don't actually own them, I'm just trusting the character appearances count thread, which doesn't actually say where they're from (but for Giggles I'd guess its W&XPs bonus content).
    Oh, okay. Link?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well obviously that particular rule only applied to that specific Godsmoot.
    But Popcorn needed a high-level cleric whether or not it was a rule just to give the vote, so it would have applied to every Godsmoot.

4. - Top - End - #154

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Considering Girard's opinion of Soon, I'm not sure I trust his assessment of people that much.
    We will probably find out whether his assessment of the Paladin in question was correct or not... Soon.

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by ElderSage View Post
    Oh, okay. Link?
    This is the character appearance thread, to find the characters you’ll have to go through it the old fashioned way, looking through the list in the first 5-ish posts until you find the person you’re looking for (I think the people I was reminding everyone about are under the cameos section).
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

6. - Top - End - #156
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
    The wording on the Giant's statement is interesting. It could mean this character's never appeared in any of the prequel stories. It could also mean that they've exclusively appeared in one of the prequel stories. Probably the former, since Start of Darkness and the like aren't intended to be mandatory reading to follow the plot of the comic, but still, interesting.
    They could still be someone from the prequel. If a character who has only appeared in one page in a prequel shows up in the main comic, it wouldn't take much explaining for people who haven't read the prequel. Firuk was only in two pages in OtOOtPCs, but strip 1096 explains everything you need to know about him to people who haven't read it.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Prediction time.

In my experience, in situations like this, after the reveal happens some annoying jerkwad inevitably pops up to say "Well, its OBVIOUS it was going to be the angel roach. I knew it the whole time." The best way to combat this is to actually keep track of who guessed what. So, when that person shows up, everyone can then point to them guessing RC's Niece, which was not only not the angel roach but also a guess since she had way more than one appearance. Pursuing that goal, I'm going to track everyone's predicts.

Lets keep it consistent with the MitD predictions. Obviously, having a single guess is best for bragging rights, but if you really want you can have up to 3 guesses. They can be rank ordered (1st choice X, 2nd choice Y, 3rd choice Z) or equal-weight ("its one of these 3"). If enough people guess, I'll keep a league-table of the most popular guesses.

I'll track them here unless we start a new thread. I've gone through the thread and added anyone who said anything like "I think its X" or "I'm guessing that its X", or joked that it might be a particular candidate and then ran with the joke instead of letting it die. Pelee probably doesn't *really* think its Xyklon the Consequential, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Gift Jeraff - 12/11/19 - Orange Voice or Shoulderpad Guy
    Lady Eowyn - 12/11/19 - Orange Voice
    Ornithologist - 12/11/19 - Serini
    Pelee - 12/11/19 - Xyklon the Consequential
    Toad - 12/11/19 - an Eastern God
    Grey Watcher - 12/11/19 - gnome news fox
    Riftwolf - 12/11/19 - Amir
    knag - 12/11/19 - Mr Belvedere
    Savil - 12/12/19 - Ghost Flumph
    The Pilgrim - 12/12/19 - Green Voice
    Petrocorus - 12/12/19 - Shoulderpad Guy or Tiamat
    ElderSage - 12/13/19 - Popcorn
    redemedic - 12/13/19 - Fruit Pie the Sorcerer
    I want to be on the list with MitD please.

I know of no actual appearance (where we actually see what he looks like), but there is the SoD shot of his cell where the floorboards show through him, and as someone said the delusion scene where it all appeared to be over, but wasn't, I'd kind of count the delusion bit as another non-appearance myself because it was a halucination/mirage, but that's because of the one in SoD, otherwise it might do. I'm not saying it's a great choice, but the described role fits all that we already expect the MitD's plot arc to become, and I don't have any other guesses I want to make.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-12-14 at 12:10 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

8. - Top - End - #158

Lizardfolk

Prediction time.

In my experience, in situations like this, after the reveal happens some annoying jerkwad inevitably pops up to say "Well, its OBVIOUS it was going to be the angel roach. I knew it the whole time." The best way to combat this is to actually keep track of who guessed what. So, when that person shows up, everyone can then point to them guessing RC's Niece, which was not only not the angel roach but also a guess since she had way more than one appearance. Pursuing that goal, I'm going to track everyone's predicts.

Lets keep it consistent with the MitD predictions. Obviously, having a single guess is best for bragging rights, but if you really want you can have up to 3 guesses. They can be rank ordered (1st choice X, 2nd choice Y, 3rd choice Z) or equal-weight ("its one of these 3"). If enough people guess, I'll keep a league-table of the most popular guesses.

I'll track them here unless we start a new thread. I've gone through the thread and added anyone who said anything like "I think its X" or "I'm guessing that its X", or joked that it might be a particular candidate and then ran with the joke instead of letting it die. Pelee probably doesn't *really* think its Xyklon the Consequential, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Switch mine to Holey Brotherhood.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Mine are:

1) Suzy Finklestein
    2) King of Nowhere.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Prediction time.

I'd like to add Giggles into my guess, please. In order of what I think is the most likely: 1) Popcorn. 2) Giggles.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Imean, the only reason to mention that is to give a guessing game, and immediately undercutting that game seems pretty cheap to me. It'd be like me saying, "pick a number between 1 and 10, if you guess it correct you win a prize!" and that number being e.
    That (irrational) number is indeed between 1 and 10, and you never said the number had to be an integer, so it's perfectly fair. (My first guess might have been Pi, though.)
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

My vote is for Roy's understudy, who appears only in #613, since Roy was sick that day.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

It would be kind of awesome if it was an Eastern God (super duper unlikely if you ask me) and they could forge a five color sword of order that could slay the Snarl for good.

Although at that point if I was a god I'd end the world anyway somewhere in the next 1000 or so years because imagine how cool a five color world would be!
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    PPS: Also, in #149, the previous supreme leader (not the one in GDGU: that one was a green goblin, this one an orange hobgoblin) appears and wisely pretends to not be the supreme leader. He might have useful information, but now that RC has Gobbotopia, I doubt he has any sway with the goblinoids.
    GDGU is in grayscale, so I don't know how you can confidently say that, but more directly, the tribe is explicitly and repeatedly referred to as hobgoblins in GDGU.

Spoiler: GDGU, I guess
    Show
    Also, there isn't much reason to highlight all the Supreme Accessories of Leadership in GDGU if not to connect the Supreme Leader who ascends at the end of GDGU to the one in #149.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Prediction time.

Put me down for Tony the Celestial or Shoulderpads Guy.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    GDGU is in grayscale, so I don't know how you can confidently say that, but more directly, the tribe is explicitly and repeatedly referred to as hobgoblins in GDGU.

Show
    Also, there isn't much reason to highlight all the Supreme Accessories of Leadership in GDGU if not to connect the Supreme Leader who ascends at the end of GDGU to the one in #149.
    Redcloak and another goblin are also on GDGU, on page #115, and even in grayscale their skin tone is noticeably different from the former Supreme Leader's (and the other hobgoblins').
    Last edited by hroþila; 2019-12-14 at 05:32 AM.
    ungelic is us

17. - Top - End - #167

Planetar

Technically the Snarl has only appeared in person once, when it attacked Laurin and her team. Every other appearance was in Elan crayon drawings.

18. - Top - End - #168

My guess is one of the northern gods. An interesting case may be Fenrir: he seems very aggressive and chaotic and voted for destroying the world, but he can't be happy about what Xykon is doing at Kraagor's tomb, either.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    That (irrational) number is indeed between 1 and 10, and you never said the number had to be an integer, so it's perfectly fair. (My first guess might have been Pi, though.)
    Didn't say it wasn't between 1 and 10. I said it was cheap (and I picked it because I knew most people thinking of a trick would go for pi first. I also considered tau). See the other post I made with the very rational and incredibly unguessable number for a better example of why it's so cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    It does directly show that this is the exact hobbo group that takes down Azure City later, which does have thematic elements even if you assume the Supreme Leader is different. But it makes more sense for him to be the same, yes.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

20. - Top - End - #170

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post

and interesting thought experiment, The Snarl. This depends on whether you count crayon flashback depictions of it to be appearances or not (Or more accurately, whether Rich does.) While almost 100% not the answer, the story would be very interesting.
    Should have read more carefully, thought I was the first to suggest this. But the World within the Snarl makes this a decent possibility. The Snarl cannot stop itself from striking out, but if the world is destroyed, its pet world will be destroyed as well. A creature born of hate and destruction trying to create something good.

Kraagor, who was still alive when he was sealed inside the gate as the Snarl's emissary.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Mine are:

1) Suzy Finklestein
    2) King of Nowhere.

Adding to this, another candidate, Aunt Ivy.

Way back in 2011 the Giant said:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    (And yes, I didn't answer the Ivy question intentionally. The story isn't over yet.)
    This implies to me that Ivy has a significant role in the story. But so far we've only seen her in one page. I think her major role is still to come.

My list is now:

1) Suzy Finklestein
    2) Ivy
    3) King of Nowhere.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

1) Suzy Finklestein
    2) Ivy
    The only two good guesses so far IMO!

BTW, on what comic page was Aunt Ivy? I don't recall it.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    The only two good guesses so far IMO!

BTW, on what comic page was Aunt Ivy? I don't recall it.
    Comic 942.

And yeah, I pretty much agree that these are the most likely options, though I’d like them swapped around in my rankings.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

24. - Top - End - #174

Except that one appearance already explained Ivy's role in the story. I can't see there being more to it than that.

I'd like to suggest the Big Game Hunters from SoD. They'd be getting on in years, but a big dungeon full of exotic monsters would be worth checking out. They may well have useful knowledge about the creatures encountered therein. (It would also fit into my theory about what happened to Redcloak's niece.)
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

25. - Top - End - #175
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, since people keep mentioning Giggles, what about Eliza from strip 960a?
    Last edited by 137beth; 2019-12-14 at 02:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176

Shoulderpads Guy is sounding intriguing enough at this point... if it can be confirmed he never appeared anywhere else in canon.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

27. - Top - End - #177

Lizardfolk

Adding to this, another candidate, Aunt Ivy.

Way back in 2011 the Giant said:

This implies to me that Ivy has a significant role in the story. But so far we've only seen her in one page. I think her major role is still to come.

My list is now:

1) Suzy Finklestein
    2) Ivy
    3) King of Nowhere.
    That comment was made before Geoffs involvement with Ians capture was known, and learning too much about Ivy might have given the game away. Now she's appeared and wasn't apparently capable of fighting Bozzok (who is kind of like an evil rubbish Worf), I'm not really seeing how her allegiance will be especially useful at this point.

Edit: double checked timings. That comment was made in 2011... Ivy, and Geoffs involvement in Ians capture, weren't revealed till 2014.
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2019-12-14 at 06:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Durkon’s dad?
    Ancient gamer slowly rising from torpor, please forgive my ignorance of these modern times.

29. - Top - End - #179

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Malfarian View Post
    Durkon’s dad?
    You haven't had enough of Durkon's family recently? Hasn't the last book left you... Utterly Dwarfed out now?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Other ideas occurred to me: Randy, Jeff (Sabine's ex from bonus strip #252a), and Therkla's parents.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)