New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

There are demigods in the Northern pantheon, which nobody thinks of most of the time. This led me to a new idea.

We are introduced to the Eastern Gods in strip 273, showing Zeus, Ares, and Pan. In strip #274, we are told that the Snarl "systematically executed the remainder of the Eastern gods." He started with Ares and Apollo, the Hades, Poseidon, even gentle Demeter and fair Aphrodite, and finally Zeus. But Pan is neither mentioned nor shown.

All of the ones listed, and shown to die, are major gods in the Greek Pantheon.

But Pan never was. Is he a demi-god who's been hiding ever since the major Eastern gods were slain? He's appeared only once, in #273.

And, of course, he would have a green speech balloon.
    Last edited by Jay R; 2019-12-15 at 01:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    There are demigods in the Northern pantheon, which nobody thinks of most of the time. This led me to a new idea.

We are introduced to the Eastern Gods in strip 273, showing Zeus, Ares, and Pan. In strip #274, we are told that the Snarl "systematically executed the remainder of the Eastern gods." He started with Ares and Apollo, the Hades, Poseidon, even gentle Demeter and fair Aphrodite, and finally Zeus. But Pan is neither mentioned nor shown.

All of the ones listed, and shown to die, are major gods in the Greek Pantheon.

But Pan never was. Is he a demi-god who's been hiding ever since the major Eastern gods were slain? He's appeared only once, in #273.

And, of course, he would have a green speech balloon.
    If this was world 2, maybe an Eastern God would make sense. But after millions of planet lifespans? Why would he reappear *now*?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

OK time to place my 2 cents.

The Giant said the person would be an important ally "in the first half of the book."

Strip #1183 has the three fiends in that pact (the name slips my mind) talking about "the artifact being ready" as well as Sabine.

My guess is that the ally will be someone to help them deal with this. And to go out on a limb, that sounds like a job for a gnome from Tinkertown. Maybe one of the merchants?
    Last edited by 2.5 cats; 2019-12-16 at 08:31 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5 cats View Post
    Strip #1183 has the three fiends in that pact (the name slips my mind) talking about "the artifact being ready" as well as Sabine.
    Do we have a list of people that Sabine has met?

5. - Top - End - #185

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Do we have a list of people that Sabine has met?
    A thought occurs: was Sabine shown killing anyone in Cliffport?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5 cats View Post
    OK time to place my 2 cents.

The Giant said the person would be an important ally "in the first half of the book."

My guess is that the ally will be someone to help them deal with this. And to go out on a limb, that sounds like a job for a gnome from Tinkertown. Maybe one of the merchants?
    I really like the idea of it being this artificer that V met in Tinkertown.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    I really like the idea of it being this artificer that V met in Tinkertown.
    Two apparitions.

8. - Top - End - #188

Lizardfolk

Maybe the gnome who asked Belkar out?
    If Rich suddenly becomes a callous and raisin-hearted monster for some reason?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Okay, bear with me, because I know its wrong... but I chortled. Literally chortled, when I thought of it.

Wisdom buffed Belkar.

Okay, I'll see myself out.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

10. - Top - End - #190

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    Okay, bear with me, because I know its wrong... but I chortled. Literally chortled, when I thought of it.

Wisdom buffed Belkar.

Okay, I'll see myself out.
    I stared at this for a while trying to work out if it was an 'In Soviet Russia' joke...

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Maybe the gnome who asked Belkar out?
    If Rich suddenly becomes a callous and raisin-hearted monster for some reason?
    Now that you mention it, she did have a pretty cool character design, almost standing out a bit from the rest of the crowd. (Let's keep the paranoia going!)
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-12-16 at 09:26 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I stared at this for a while trying to work out if it was an 'In Soviet Russia' joke...
    No, but man that is a missed opportunity. Crud.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Now that you mention it, she did have a pretty cool character design, almost standing out a bit from the rest of the crowd. (Let's keep the paranoia going!)
    She is easily My favorite random NPC that could become a an ally for half a book.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Didn't Durkon's Dad only appear once?
    Ancient gamer slowly rising from torpor, please forgive my ignorance of these modern times.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malfarian View Post
    Didn't Durkon's Dad only appear once?
    Counting the crayon drawings? No, way more than one page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If he had not appeared a second time, I'd bet on Jiminy finally getting to be someone important.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    If he had not appeared a second time, I'd bet on Jiminy finally getting to be someone important.
    Imean, the firsr time he appeared he was on two pages.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Orange Voice and Shoulder Pads Guy probably make the most sense off the top of my head, but there's so little to go on here that I don't think I have a realistic shot of guessing. I'm trying to think if there's someone who might have barely appeared in a prequel. (I wanted to guess "Keith Baker," but the Appearances Thread suggest he appeared on two pages.)

Also, re: the debate over which books count as prequels, as per

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant, Book 6 commentary
    Someone who has appeared in exactly one (1) page of the story so far (including all the prequel stories) will become an important ally in the first half of the next book.
    The page after the title page categorizes the books as "The Main Story," "The Prequels," and "The Random Stuff," so I would bet that "The Random Stuff" isn't a resource worth perusing to guess, being that it's all non-canonical, but the other two sections are. (The only books in "The Random Stuff" are Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales and Haleo and Julelan.)

18. - Top - End - #198
    Pixie in the Playground

Has anyone suggested the female goblin from SoD, who was interested in theology and wanted a date with Redcloack? Do we know what happened to her later?

19. - Top - End - #199

Well, since she was part of the village Xykon dragooned into assaulting the Dungeon of Dorukon odds are she got killed with the others.

20. - Top - End - #200

WolfInSheepsClothing

She was from the next valley over, so she might've evaded the press ganging and want vengeance for her family members who didn't escape.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

I say Mia Starshine.

#1. The Giant mentioned at one point that Haley and Sabine were opposites in more ways than had been revealed. As far as I know, this has never been explained.
    #2. Haley has a cryptogram during her date with Elan, when she is trying to reveal her secrets, where she says "Elan, it turns out I may not be exactly what you would call..." Again, this has never been explained. The final word was not spoken. But Haley's thoughts indicate that it's one of her deepest secrets.
    #3. Given that the last book went so far as to bring Wrecan himself on stage as a tribute, I think we can safely assume that the Giant is using the character count thread as his scorecard for number of appearances. Most of the names being floated have more than 1 appearance per that thread. But Mia is on the cameo list - one of very few cameos with a significant relationship to a protagonist.
    #4. Mia's single appearance was urging her husband and daughter to be "better than this city."

I think that the word Haley was about to say was "human," and that Mia Starshine was (is?) a celestial of some type.
    Last edited by Dausuul; 2019-12-16 at 07:39 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post
    I think that the word Haley was about to say was "human," and that Mia Starshine was (is?) a celestial of some type.
    Mmm. It makes me wonder, if Mia is/was a celestial and is able to become a big ally for the party, what has she been doing being MIA (Missing In Action) for ~20 years? How long does it take for a celestial to revive on its home plane?

Potentially, she becomes a planar ally for the party and flies Haley around so she can fight Oona on her Yrthak.

*shrug*
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

23. - Top - End - #203

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rektascensja View Post
    Has anyone suggested the female goblin from SoD, who was interested in theology and wanted a date with Redcloack? Do we know what happened to her later?
    I thought about suggesting that, but it seemed too unlikely. It would be fun if it happened, though.

24. - Top - End - #204

WolfInSheepsClothing

Also the panel where Haley is talking about what happened to her has her saying “mommy went to heaven last year” rather than that she explicitly died.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Pixie in the Playground

Ooo! Good one. And maybe the pair of round flawless gemstones Haley has is a magical device for summoning her mother. Haley just hasn't found a way to activate them yet!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post
    I say Mia Starshine.

#1. The Giant mentioned at one point that Haley and Sabine were opposites in more ways than had been revealed. As far as I know, this has never been explained.
    #2. Haley has a cryptogram during her date with Elan, when she is trying to reveal her secrets, where she says "Elan, it turns out I may not be exactly what you would call..." Again, this has never been explained. The final word was not spoken. But Haley's thoughts indicate that it's one of her deepest secrets.
    #3. Given that the last book went so far as to bring Wrecan himself on stage as a tribute, I think we can safely assume that the Giant is using the character count thread as his scorecard for number of appearances. Most of the names being floated have more than 1 appearance per that thread. But Mia is on the cameo list - one of very few cameos with a significant relationship to a protagonist.
    #4. Mia's single appearance was urging her husband and daughter to be "better than this city."

Intriguing. Best idea I've heard so far, because you're right in that there are a couple hanging threads for Haley that have yet to be picked up. They're threads that could be explained away (Haley and Sabine have very opposite personalities and relationship styles; "Elan, I may not be exactly what you would call a good person") - but still hanging threads, and about a main character, too. So I vote for your idea. At the very least - someone involved with Haley's past.

I also like the idea that someone brought up of the gnome outfitter that asked Belkar out to lunch. She did have a unique enough design that she might be identifiable if she appeared again. Though if she did reappear, it would primarily be as character development for Belkar and I'd find it difficult to see how she ties in with the main story.

Other than that, my only thought is that it must be a god or a god's representative - one of either appeared at the Godsmoot or in one of the crayon flashbacks.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking this ally might be one of the crew of the Mechane, since the Order is on the Mechane right now. But I don't know if there's any of them who appeared on exactly one page.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Also the panel where Haley is talking about what happened to her has her saying “mommy went to heaven last year” rather than that she explicitly died.

Yes, but in her actual sole appearance it says explicitly that she died.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0772.html
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

why not one of the good aligned goblins?
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0093.html

We see a few of them just once I think.

Mind you, I’m just guessing for fun. I doubt this will pan out

30. - Top - End - #210

Wait, are we talking about whether Haley is half-celestial again? Like, seriously, and not as a joke?
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).