New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

How? They got rid of that wand in the switch to 3rd Ed. Too bad, it was fun sticking annoying people to stuff.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post
    Sure. It ties together a couple of long-standing mysteries (the "key way" in which Haley and Sabine are opposed; Haley's un-revealed secret) in a neat little way. It's wild speculation, obviously, but so is this entire thread.
    I think that first point has been explained by the Giant elsewhere, although I don't remember the exact quote...

Spoiler
    Show
    something about Sabine secretly working for another organization and Haley secretly not working for another organization.

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Maybe they will both viscously avenge the death of their lover.
    sounds slippery, but Elan is going to get a happy ending.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Btw, I've updated the list. However, I had to make a number of judgment calls on whether people were simply offering candidates for discussion, intended the candidate as a joke, or were saying they genuinely thought it was the candidate. I went with what the person seemed to actually intend, or whatever seemed funnier to me, depending on the situation. Look over the list and let me know if you want me to make a change.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Btw, I've updated the list. However, I had to make a number of judgment calls on whether people were simply offering candidates for discussion, intended the candidate as a joke, or were saying they genuinely thought it was the candidate. I went with what the person seemed to actually intend, or whatever seemed funnier to me, depending on the situation. Look over the list and let me know if you want me to make a change.
    Link for easiness: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=130
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

5. - Top - End - #245

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Oh, thanks for the link. I intended to do that and totally forgot.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Haley's mistrust and all-purpose greed has already helped the Order a few times, such as when he figured out Xykon's shell game at the Azure city siege. This time it could be a different aspect of her personality that helps the Order. That aspect of her personality is represented by Haley with green hair and green dress in #381 final panel. The wiki calls that aspect "Haley's envy", but I don't insist on envy specifically. I know that an aspect of personality isn't a "character", but that quote from the Giant doesn't say "character", that word was brought in by the thread title.

7. - Top - End - #247

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Haley's mistrust and all-purpose greed has already helped the Order a few times, such as when he figured out Xykon's shell game at the Azure city siege. This time it could be a different aspect of her personality that helps the Order. That aspect of her personality is represented by Haley with green hair and green dress in #381 final panel. The wiki calls that aspect "Haley's envy", but I don't insist on envy specifically. I know that an aspect of personality isn't a "character", but that quote from the Giant doesn't say "character", that word was brought in by the thread title.
    I was thinking of proposing Haley’s Latent Bisexuality as a candidate earlier, but it felt just silly enough to not do without prompting.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

8. - Top - End - #248
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
    I was thinking of proposing Haley’s Latent Bisexuality as a candidate earlier, but it felt just silly enough to not do without prompting.
    I wonder what she looks like since getting upgraded to Haley's Bisexuality.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    I wonder what she looks like since getting upgraded to Haley's Bisexuality.
    Wait, since when Haley's bisexuality is not latent any more?
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post
    Sure. It ties together a couple of long-standing mysteries (the "key way" in which Haley and Sabine are opposed; Haley's un-revealed secret) in a neat little way. It's wild speculation, obviously, but so is this entire thread.
    I mean, to me the whole reasoning behind the speculation Haley going "I might not be exactly.." (or whatever she said) and jumping on that to mean she's going to say "human" when theres literally nothing else that hints that Haley is anything other than human, seems like too huge a leap even for wild speculation.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2019-12-20 at 04:26 PM.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

11. - Top - End - #251
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    ...seems like too huge a leap even for wild speculation.
    I'm guessing you're new here?

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    I mean, to me the whole reasoning behind the speculation Haley going "I might not be exactly.." (or whatever she said) and jumping on that to mean she's going to say "human" when theres literally nothing else that hints that Haley is anything other than human, seems like too huge a leap even for wild speculation.
    I don't agree. We know this is Haley's deepest secret that she hasn't told anyone, and it has to fit the given sentence pattern. There are not a lot of possibilities that fit all the information. (At least, this goes all the way back to book 2, and in all that time, we haven't actually seen a lot of guesses that really fit.) So anything that does fit should not be rejected just because it's become a meme in forum speculation. Rich had something in mind when he dropped that little hint.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    I don't agree. We know this is Haley's deepest secret that she hasn't told anyone, and it has to fit the given sentence pattern. There are not a lot of possibilities that fit all the information. (At least, this goes all the way back to book 2, and in all that time, we haven't actually seen a lot of guesses that really fit.) So anything that does fit should not be rejected just because it's become a meme in forum speculation. Rich had something in mind when he dropped that little hint.
    Straight. "It turns out I may not be axactly what you would call straight" said the girl with a repressed bisexuality.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #254

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Straight. "It turns out I may not be axactly what you would call straight" said the girl with a repressed bisexuality.
    Earlier in this she admitted that she's kissed girls, so I think thats less likely.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Two panels earlier: "I kissed a girl once. OK, OK, more than once!"

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

"...a certified member in good standing of the Thieves' Guild" is certainly plausible too.

17. - Top - End - #257

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    "...a certified member in good standing of the Thieves' Guild" is certainly plausible too.
    "Elan, it turns out I may not be exactly what you would call a certified member in good standing of the Thieves' Guild."

Not only would that be incredibly tortuous phrasing in its own right, but it hardly fits with "it turns out I may not be..." - that implies it's something Haley has DISCOVERED about herself rather than something she's DONE (like quit).

Also not convinced it would be the thing she would most dread Elan finding out about...

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm not really in the Thieves' Guild anymore." is what she says in Panel 7 of that same strip...
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    "I'm not really in the Thieves' Guild anymore." is what she says in Panel 7 of that same strip...
    Ah, but what about being certified and in good standing?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

I should probably have re-read the actual strip / cryptogram translations before suggesting anything.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Dwarf in the Playground

Julia Greenhilt's blonde friend only appeared in a single page...

Quote Originally Posted by CJG View Post
    why not one of the good aligned goblins?
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0093.html

We see a few of them just once I think.

Mind you, I’m just guessing for fun. I doubt this will pan out
    Well they were almost certainly killed to a goblin when that thrice cursed villainous malefactor Elan blew up the Dungeon of Dorukan, that's one reason.

Even if one or more of them survived, the aforementioned atrocity would be a fine motivation to swear an oath of vengeance against the Order - the Greenhilt oath was sworn for less. Far less. Even, no especially, good aligned goblins would stand against him. A goblin paladin would seek to bring Elan to justice for his terrible, terrible crimes for example.

sounds slippery, but Elan is going to get a happy ending.
    What's this then? That page is even called 'happy ending'.

Then there's Tasha's Hideous Laughter to consider. Or spending fifty years rotting in the deepest, dankest dungeon in the cosmos for crimes against goblinanity, escaping, then dying happily because he was free. Or have a heart attack while... *cough* doing, you know, that.

22. - Top - End - #262

I should probably have re-read the actual strip / cryptogram translations before suggesting anything.
    https://www.mrphlip.com/haley.php?show=309

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whispri View Post
    What's this then? That page is even called 'happy ending'.
    That is an illusion.

24. - Top - End - #264

That is an illusion.
    And also the whole point of that prophecy was to make us feel assured that this story wouldn't end depressingly (cause thats not the Giant's style), I think I've heard he said that in W&XPs commentary.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Thanks for putting me in the list.

I understand that suggesting the MitD for a character that's appeared on only one page seems like a joke, but it seems to me to fit the literal text of what was said, and it seems to me that it is a joke that The Giant is likely to make. It's a joke about a joke about a joke, and that's funny.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

For the record, I was absolutely joking about Xyklon the Consequential, but I am very amused that you drew the line at my guess, so I have zero objections whatsoever to having that be my official guess!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-21 at 12:03 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

For the record, my three guesses were serious.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

28. - Top - End - #268
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Wait, since when Haley's bisexuality is not latent any more?
    I can't recall if there's an earlier mention, but Haley definitely seems fine with the idea that she's dated girls in the past here, which implies that she's now fine with being bi.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    "Elan, it turns out I may not be exactly what you would call a certified member in good standing of the Thieves' Guild."

Not only would that be incredibly tortuous phrasing in its own right, but it hardly fits with "it turns out I may not be..." - that implies it's something Haley has DISCOVERED about herself rather than something she's DONE (like quit).

Also not convinced it would be the thing she would most dread Elan finding out about...
    I'll definitely agree that it feels like somewhat unnatural wording, but I always read "it turns out I may not be" as sort of a quasi-conscious verbal stalling tactic because she's really reluctant to talk about... whatever it was, rather than expressing any uncertainty about or unfamiliarity with the subject on her part.

29. - Top - End - #269

ElfWarriorGuy

Did any of the high priests at the um.. conclave? What did they call it? Only appear on one page?

30. - Top - End - #270

Did any of the high priests at the um.. conclave? What did they call it? Only appear on one page?
    Maybe, but here's the thing - if the Godsmoot ended before the conclusion of the OOTS' quest, every single High Priest from at least the Northern Pantheon whose god voted to preserve the world would Wind Walk (or something quicker if they have it available) to the North Pole immediately, delayed only by Sendings to tell their lower priests with enough levels to be useful to follow. And some of the others may do the same thing to STOP the world being saved.

Hence why it's stuck in a tie for an indefinite period of time. It keeps all those guys safely out of the way of the main story. As such, it's not quite as unlikely as the idea of an Eastern God showing up - which would completely break the idea that Thor & co need Durkon to get Redcloak/TDO's help - but it's only a step or two behind.
    Last edited by Reboot; 2019-12-22 at 01:16 AM.