Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default [LFPlayers] Davinmoor Manor Heist, A Fantasy Heist Adventure [Beta Playtest]

Davinmoor Manor Heist

The vault in Davinmoor manor holds more coin and treasure than any job you've done before. It could be the score of a lifetime, or it could be suicide. With the world failing apart, there's no better time to strike than now.

After years of optimizing D&D (you have seen my 5e multiclassing guide) and every other system I could get my hands on, I've decided to make my own system. A system where fun and skill take precedent, without trap options, plenty of diversity of character builds and meaningful choices in play as well as creation.

A year later, after some brutal playtesting, I've created Spell Scorched and I'm ready to beta test this with the public. I'm looking for players to help me iron out the game by running a one-shot adventure. I've planned to run this adventure 9 PM EST, for several weeks, but if enough players are interested I will open up times to run on Thursdays & Saturdays (same time). Please read on for more details. If you have any questions, please reply. If you are interested, you may reply or direct message me. Thanks!

Davinmoor Heist is a one-shot adventure where players must scout, plan, steal, and escape with anything they can from the manor. Each character has a set backstory, secrets, and side missions.

The adventure is created to beta playtest and showcase the Spell Scorched system, in a high fantasy setting. Players will be given a few handouts to explain the basic rules, the rest will be explained in play. Players who enjoy the world and system will have the opportunity to join the next full length campaign.

Game Information
    Recurrence: One-Shot
    Time: Fridays 9 PM EST (Thursdays & Saturdays are also available)
    System: Spell Scorched (Beta)
    New Players: Welcome
    Chat Service: Discord
    Game Service: Roll20
    Language: English
    Age Warning: There Are Some Minor Adult Themes (PG-13)
    Game Purpose: FUN > Playtest Player Enjoyment > Playtest Adventure > Playtest Class Balance

The adventure has a built in open story with each pregenerated player character having one shared goal and several minor goals. Expect some investigative work, planning, and some action. Players are encouraged to play to their character's goals and values which should weave an interesting narrative as they weigh their individual desires with that of their party.

I expect the session to have a good bit of planning, desicion making, and anywhere from one to six combat encounters.

System Information

The spell scorched system was designed from the ground up, and later incorporated several mechanics which many RPG players will find familiar. After over a year of playtesting, the player's guide is fully fleshed out, at 150 pages long, but don't worry you won't have to slog through that. I've created simple quick reference sheets and pregenerated characters for anyone to jump in and try it out.

There are two cores of the basic design philosophy of the game:
    1. Allow meaningful choices for players both in play and in character creation, with an goal of making every option balanced and viable.
    2. Create a GM integrated system that allows game masters to run the best of adventures. The GM is the one player who makes or breaks any RPG experience.

Your Characters

There are 15 pre-generated characters from which to choose. Each play group should have 3-5 players, which works best with as little overlap in the base classes as possible.

The base classes are striker, bruiser, juggernaut, and caster. The striker is a light armor, high burst damage character. The bruiser is a medium armor scrapper, that can attack multiple enemies at once. The Juggernaut is a heavy armor fighter that can encourage enemy attacks. The caster is a versatile character based on spell casting. Characters are also given a specialization, which has a large effect on their gameplay. Every specialization can be paired with every base class. The pre-generated characters consist of one of each of the 15 specializations.

Each character comes with a complete backstory, values, and goals during the heist. Character goals are secret by default, although it is assumed that everyone wants the coin. Players are encouraged to work together except in the rare circumstance that their goals directly conflict. Characters with less appealing entries may have more secrets! Characters who aren't selected for play will be available for hire as NPCs, though they will still expect a portion of the loot.

The Cast
    Frankis Borengar

Class: Ranger (Bruiser/Beastmaster)

Frankis is a trained beastmaster with a ferocious wolf that can battle with him side by side. He has established himself as the stable master for the manor giving him good reason to be on the grounds.

Kit Davinmoor

Class: Incinerator (Caster/Berserker)

Youngest of the Davinmoor family, Kit is the black sheep of the family. As an incinerator he possesses unparalleled control with fire magic. Kit belongs in the manor and can easily get access to anywhere but the basement of the main building. Having grown up on the manor, he knows the grounds quite well, except for any recent additions.

Zuto Bhaklon

Class: Bloodletter (Striker/Blood Warrior)

Zuto is an accursed warrior, trying to fit in with human society, although practicing blood magic makes that difficult. He'll be damned if it doesn't keep him alive though. Blood warriors use their own blood and that of their enemies to empower themselves, and fight through fatal injuries.

Zuto knows the location of a cave system that connects to the catacombs under the manor, useful for both entry or escape.

Ace Ferriksen

Class: Swashbuckler (Striker/Dastard)

Ace lives a charmed life like any dastard. For him, luck is never in short supply. He has, as it happens, a way in already.

Wela Ulhir

Class: Spell Duelist (Caster/Fade Hunter)

Wela Ulhir is a skilled runist and caster, especially trained to take on enemy casters. She worked on the magical rune traps of the manor and can easily counteract them or even turn the traps on the guards.

Jinn Ashmoor

Class: Shadow (Striker/Grey Ghost)

As a dreaded grey ghost, Jinn is merged with the Grey, allowing his body to discorporate, becoming a cloud of deadly fog. This grants him obvious advantages such as moving through tiny spaces, like under locked doors. Additionally, the clouds he can create can provide small areas of concealment for his companions.

Salazar Duron

Class: Cleric (Juggernaut/Life Bringer)

As a man of the Church of the Benevolent, Salazar wouldn't normally involve himself in nefarious plots, but he's heard strong evidence of the dark dealings of Lord Davinmoor that he is willing to engage. His ability to heal others may prove useful should it come to fighting.

Elsana Relicus

Class: Trickster (Striker/Magus)

Elsana is an expert cat burglar who uses her illusion and other magical talents to evade detection and ease her work.

Gahrim Karil

Class: Death Knight (Juggernaut/Necromancer)

Gahrim works as a boat trader, moving goods in and trash out of the manor via a simple barge through the water canal. This grants him access to the grounds, providing an easy way to transport large amounts of loot, equipment and the bones of his skeletal minions.

Harig Forester

Class: Brawler (Bruiser/Physikator)

Harig is a large man with a large appetite. He's talents for fighting, drinking, and eating have made him several friends among the guard staff. He is a superb brawler, capable of taking on enemies with naught but his bare hands.

Luana Kai

Class: Warden (Juggernaut/Shapeshifter)

As a shapeshifter, Luana can transform into a wide variety of animals, making her useful in many situations where stealth is concerned.

Brother Narno Hidarnos

Class: Exorcist (Caster/Slayer)

Narno offers his services as an undead hunter and skilled caster.

Dakkon Perigsen

Class: Clock-Stopper (Bruiser/Timewalker)

Dakkon's power over time, enabling him to rewind a moment, makes him an exceptional ally in preventing alarms and other mishaps.

Deagon Gaermont

Class: Champion (Juggernaut/Weapon Master)

Deagon is a trained weapon master, skilled in the usage of a variety of weapons. As a guard of the manor, he has easy access to several areas. His brother Beron will come along on any heist endeavor Deagon engages in.

Sergeant Beron Gaermont

Class: Commander (Bruiser/Warlord)

Beron is a reluctant participant in the heist, but will oblige if his brother Deagon is involved. As a sergeant on the guard staff he is in charge of an entire squad of the guards whom he can dismiss. He may even be able persuade other guard squads to stand down. His skilled leadership can provide benefits to anyone in his party.

The Gearmont brothers are a set, if one is chosen either the other one must be as well, or he will become an NPC.

Please note, any character can be gender swapped to suit a players preference with no impact on game play.

By request, I've put together a quick start rules guide for those wanting a bit more info. You can find it here:
    https://1drv.ms/b/s!Al0pLB3PRW_yrh-3...zQ3-I?e=K3oGYz

*Please note, as a beta, this is all subject to change.

Feel free to join the discord for more info: https://discord.gg/g8TCPrN

Roll20 link to same Posting: https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/79...eist-adventure
    Last edited by PeteNutButter; 2019-12-13 at 05:31 PM.
    Want to Multiclass? I wrote the book on it:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...classing-Guide
    Expect advice on the optimization rules you are breaking: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...r-Optimization
    I am an avid optimizer and love to give fire to the people... So long as they are restrained first so they have disadvantage on their dex saves.
    Feel free to PM me for one on one build advice.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [LFPlayers] Davinmoor Manor Heist, A Fantasy Heist Adventure [Beta Playtest]

I'm a loser with nothing better to do than try out new systems, so I'll give it a shot! I like both Kit and Gahrim, so I'd need to know a little more about what the classes entail. Mainly how a berserker caster even works.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: [LFPlayers] Davinmoor Manor Heist, A Fantasy Heist Adventure [Beta Playtest]

Quote Originally Posted by UselessBlob View Post
    I'm a loser with nothing better to do than try out new systems, so I'll give it a shot! I like both Kit and Gahrim, so I'd need to know a little more about what the classes entail. Mainly how a berserker caster even works.
    Sounds good. I'll PM you the discord info momentarily. As for the raging caster... well, ever get so mad you wish you could throw fireballs? This guy does. The easiest way to explain it is that each specialization is built with all 4 base classes in mind, so that abilities don't specify weapon attacks etc. If you get advantage on damage when you're mad, you get advantage on damage, to include spell damage etc..

How does it all work together? It's a single resource pool for almost every ability. How your death knight can cast spells but also be a fully functional tank (complete with aggro control/disruption) is he has a single power point pool that powers all his class abilities and spells. He can use those points to cast death magic (such as summoning undead minions, or enchanting his weapon with necrotic damage), and he can use points to do traditional tank things such as challenge enemy foes.
    Want to Multiclass? I wrote the book on it:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...classing-Guide
    Expect advice on the optimization rules you are breaking: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...r-Optimization
    I am an avid optimizer and love to give fire to the people... So long as they are restrained first so they have disadvantage on their dex saves.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hi, I'm totally down!

Always looking for a reliable Friday game!

Can't wait to steal some stuff with new people!
    Last edited by Brody; 2019-12-12 at 08:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brody View Post
    Hi, I'm totally down!

Always looking for a reliable Friday game!

Can't wait to steal some stuff with new people!
    Good deal. I'll PM you the discord info.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

By request, I've put together a quick start rules guide for those wanting a bit more info. You can find it here:
    https://1drv.ms/b/s!Al0pLB3PRW_yrh-3...zQ3-I?e=K3oGYz

*Please note, as a beta, this is all subject to change.

Feel free to join the discord for more info: https://discord.gg/g8TCPrN

I've added these to the OP as well.
    Last edited by PeteNutButter; 2019-12-13 at 05:19 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Update: First session was a blast! The party made it out with loads of loot, and 3 out of 4 got their secret mission done.

I'm still looking for players for next week, Friday December 20th, 9:00 PM EST. Several want to play again, but new players take priority.