Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon

Thread: Knight question

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Knight question

In the Knight entry for the Shield Block ability, the wording states "Your shield bonus to AC increases by 1, as you move your shield to deflect an incoming blow..."

The questions here:

a)Do you have to wear a shield to use this?

b)Could you use a different ability that provides a shield bonus(Shield spell, Inertial armor) to make use of this ability?

c)If you wear no shield and have no ability that grants a shield bonus, are you considered as having a shield bonus of +0 or simply no shield bonus slot at all?

Appreciate any help,

RD.
    Spoiler
    Show

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

Proud owner of a Ceikatar! (Jealous much?)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Knight question

I think it's fairly clear that this ability requires the use of a Shield. That said, if your DM rules that a Shield Spell is sufficient, that's up to him.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

It seems obvious that you can't "shield block" without an actual shield... you're a knight, for crying out loud.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think you need to have an actual shield bonus for it to work. No shield shouldn't be equivalent of +0 shield.

However, note that not all shield bonuses come from shields. You could gain one from Two-Weapon Defense for example, which opens all sorts of opportunities and themes for dual-wielding knights...
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti