Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Firbolg in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Mystic Muse's Magnificent Masquerade Random Banter #225

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I won't deny that sometimes, parents taking their kids to an R-rated movie is just bad parenting.

But in the case of literal infants, as long as they're not disruptive, it probably doesn't matter.

They could also be a single parent for whom a $10 movie every once in a while is affordable, but hiring a babysitter would cost them more than they make in an entire day of work.

Lastly, Bartmanhomer, how is Grammarly working out for you?
    Well if a kid starts crying and starts having nightmares because he or she saw an R rated movie then that's the parent's fault. I'm doing very well with Grammarly.so far. I've been using Grammarly for a year now.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2020-01-18 at 01:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Troll in the Playground

I'm thinking of someday making a videogame where the player-character is a harpy that slays other monsters, with a focus on dragonoids (such as drakes, wyverns, lindwurms, the occasional lung (that has been corrupted by outside magic, since they aren't normally evil) and, of course, actual dragons) and where the tutorial battle is against a cockatrice (because, in this setting, cockatrices (being a magical cross between a chicken and a pygmy wyvern) are the weakest type of dragonoid... but also have the ability to kill with their gaze anything that isn't at least part bird) and I need a title for the game. Ideas?

EDIT: Sorry if the nested parentheticals are confusing.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-01-19 at 04:14 AM.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Barbarian in the Playground

Harpy quest
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

4. - Top - End - #844
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    Harpy quest

That works.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I'm thinking of someday making a videogame where the player-character is a harpy that slays other monsters, with a focus on dragonoids (such as drakes, wyverns, lindwurms, the occasional lung (that has been corrupted by outside magic, since they aren't normally evil) and, of course, actual dragons) and where the tutorial battle is against a cockatrice (because, in this setting, cockatrices (being a magical cross between a chicken and a pygmy wyvern) are the weakest type of dragonoid... but also have the ability to kill with their gaze anything that isn't at least part bird) and I need a title for the game. Ideas?

I can't think of a name, but it sounds interesting (and when using [nested parantheses] it's easier if you alternate variaties).

I've had thoughts of making my own game, but a lot of that has to do with branching narrative over wanting to make engaging gameplay. Which is why for the moment I'm messing with RPG Maker and Twine, although I'm heavily considering redownloading Visual Studio and hacking out a basic text+buttons framework in HTML and JS, although I'll need to learn CSS for styling the looks.

I think we can do a lot more work noncombat gameplay if we remove the reliance of complex visual graphics. I've got plans for a conspiracy game focusing on investigation, and the plan is to go really in on the picking out keywords in text, and making the player figure them out via context rather than styling. The big thing breakthrough in making the design work was allowing a separate dialogue screen, so I can have all the exploration actions have their own button on the exploration screen alongside the text parser while the dialogue screen is more like a dialogue tree.

Of course, you still can't get ye flask.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

Meanwhile I've had vague ideas of making an RPG for a while but only in terms of systemic stuff, no particular narrative. Currently thinking of a combination of the combat systems from Ar Tonelico and Indivisible, possibly with a rhythm element added on. Maybe mix in the highly-configurable difficulty settings from TWEWY.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Meanwhile I've had vague ideas of making an RPG for a while but only in terms of systemic stuff, no particular narrative. Currently thinking of a combination of the combat systems from Ar Tonelico and Indivisible, possibly with a rhythm element added on. Maybe mix in the highly-configurable difficulty settings from TWEWY.
    Bah, throw combat out I say, but replace it with something else, instead of going the walking simulator route. One of the ideas I really, really want to make despite not quite knowing how it would work is a Cthulhu Mythos game where the primary gameplay loop is pretending that you're still sane, and the main that isn't the big tentacle adorned monster but being stuck in a padded cell.

Like, I could in theory boot up Visual Studio or Ren'py and have a quick twenty minute proof of concept text adventure made in a couple of days where you just have to get through a situation withoutb making people suspicious. Then with a few months work I could expand that to a day, and then a week including a meeting with a psychiatrist, but where do I go from there and have a Mythos related plot running through that without it taking over the game from pretending to be normal? The only thing I've been able to think of is a bunch of leads you can stumble across and that you have to investigate alongside your normal life.

The other problem is that I need to come up with a Mythos scenario without drawing too much from actual Mythos stories. Because, to paraphrase something I said a couple of years ago, the Mythos is about the fear of the unknown, and I know what a deep one is.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Bah, throw combat out I say, but replace it with something else, instead of going the walking simulator route.
    RPGs without combat that aren't walking simulators can absolutely work! But that's not what I have ideas for. Though I would of course be open to reskinning the systems to be about something other than fighting.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #849
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

You're NOT writing it in Lisp?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Bugbear in the Playground

Whew. Good to be back. It's been a crazy week.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    This is completely incomprehensible without the important factor that the British do not pronounce aluminum "aluminum" but instead "aluminium".

Y'all are forgetting the ium and it's making these posts unreadable in a way I cannot even begin to describe.
    Whoops. I meant to write 'Erbert the Aluminium Man. Either my phone's autocorrect got it or I just can't spell the way I wanted. I'm betting on the latter. In either case, I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I hear the arch nemesis' catchphrase is "foiled again!"
    Unlike 'Erbert, his nemesis, Ted is not made of recycled soda cans. He is, in fact, uncanny.

Can there be a section where the Harpy needs to play a harpsichord?
    Iop brain.

11. - Top - End - #851

DrowGuy

There should be a Giant In The Playground Forum Computer Game. The plot is a new member have joined this forum in order to stop internet trolls from invading this forum. He or she will be assisted by other members in this forum. So what do you think of my idea? Criticism is appreciated.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    There should be a Giant In The Playground Forum Computer Game. The plot is a new member have joined this forum in order to stop internet trolls from invading this forum. He or she will be assisted by other members in this forum. So what do you think of my idea? Criticism is appreciated.
    I think you'd have the same problem as any place where you ask people to stat themselves or their friends for any game.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

13. - Top - End - #853

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    I think you'd have the same problem as any place where you ask people to stat themselves or their friends for any game.
    You do have a point there.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

I think there's fundamentally not much of a game there, and also that's not how either trolls or forums work.
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Okay, let's start from the beginning. Just to make things easier for myself I'm going to use Mythos Life as an example.

What does your player spend most of their time doing? What aspect do they primarily engage in? In Mythos Life this is about managing suspicion, keeping people from thinking you're stark raving mad. In developing this idea so far a lot of this comes down to time management, making sure you don't get discovered in a nightclub when you're supposed to be giving your 2PM lecture, making sure you're seen doing stuff outside of working, eating, sleeping, and chasing down leads often enough to stop people from asking questions, with a side order of making sure you don't start ranting about shoggoths in polite company.

For for your theoretical game (GitPFCG for short), what's your primary gameplay loop? What do you spend most of your time doing? It spunds like the primary loop would be reading forum threads and looking for troll posts or the like, which isn't exactly engaging. Now there are some games which have built themselves around the primary loop of 'go to a place and read some text', but the more you move into that the more you need an interesting setting, complex characters, and a deep story. Planescape: Torment is pretty much the example here, although many games do it to a lesser extent where the combat tends to be viewed as much weaker than the world exploration and character interaction. Sadly, an internet forum is not an interesting setting, especially when I can type www.giantitp.coc into my web browser and read the actual forum.

Wow, sorry about that, was trying to be more constructive than normal.

So what does the player do, and why is this engaging? That's the first question you really have to ask yourself, why should I play this game over, for example, Stein's Gate, a game where the primary gameplay loop is 'read some text'.

Show

16. - Top - End - #856
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Random work-rant of the day:

Person: Hi, I'd like to get medical supplies through my insurance.
    Us: Great! We'll need a prescription.
    Person: Yeah, my doctor wrote one.
    Us: Great! So can we have it?
    Person: No, the doctor has it from back when I got on this thing twenty years ago.
    Us: ...cool. We need a prescription. It's great that one exists, I'm happy for you, but that fact does nothing right now. I'm not playing Prescription Gatekeeper over here, where those poor souls who have never had a prescription written in their lives just don't get to buy their stuff. Next time you need to get drugs, just tell the pharmacist "oh, a prescription exists" and nothing else, see how far that gets you.

Imean, I don't actually say all that. But I really want to.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Your bread looks like a rotary phone.
    This right here, is some prime quality culinary critique.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Colossus in the Playground

Random work-rant of the day:

Person: Hi, I'd like to get medical supplies through my insurance.
    Us: Great! We'll need a prescription.
    Person: Yeah, my doctor wrote one.
    Us: Great! So can we have it?
    Person: No, the doctor has it from back when I got on this thing twenty years ago.
    Us: ...cool. We need a prescription. It's great that one exists, I'm happy for you, but that fact does nothing right now. I'm not playing Prescription Gatekeeper over here, where those poor souls who have never had a prescription written in their lives just don't get to buy their stuff. Next time you need to get drugs, just tell the pharmacist "oh, a prescription exists" and nothing else, see how far that gets you.

Imean, I don't actually say all that. But I really want to.
    Fun fact this is how it works in literally everywhere other than America. When I go to get my estrogen they can just look at the prescription on file and give me the titty candy.

So maybe they're from out of town?

Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

18. - Top - End - #858

Fun fact this is how it works in literally everywhere other than America. When I go to get my estrogen they can just look at the prescription on file
    Bolded the key word there. We don't have one on file. The doctor may. No clue who their doctor is, this is a person we've never seen before that walked in the door (as is always the case when this scenario comes up). And I can promise you, ain't none of them are from out of town. We do have a handful of expats, actually (one was even impressed I was able to guess his non-British accent, which made me feel pretty cool), and literally every single one of them has never had this problem.

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

19. - Top - End - #859
    Colossus in the Playground

Bolded the key word there. We don't have one on file. The doctor may. No clue who their doctor is, this is a person we've never seen before that walked in the door (as is always the case when this scenario comes up). And I can promise you, ain't none of them are from out of town. We do have a handful of expats, actually (one was even impressed I was able to guess his non-British accent, which made me feel pretty cool), and literally every single one of them has never had this problem.
    Okay, cool! Not defending their action was just making a note.

I hate dealing with bad clients/customers as well v_v

Legend of Trains Avatar by Pinkhaired August. Choo choo!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

Fun fact this is how it works in literally everywhere other than America. When I go to get my estrogen they can just look at the prescription on file and give me the titty candy.

So maybe they're from out of town?
    Yeah, for repeat prescriptions that's how it works here, and I've seen people get their stuff without the paper prescription the first via NetHS (although people really don't like you forcing them to rely on it). I've also seen people be denied their prescription because they have the bit of paper but the pharmacy is so close to the surgery their systems haven't updated yet.

Although I'm annoyed that some things, like my original autism diagnosis, aren't available via the online NHS resources, which has made proving my other diagnoses a pain (because it was hard enough getting the documentation for that one). Some of them, like the dyspraxia, I should really get retested anyway, but it would be nice to have access to the documents my mum shoved in a file somewhere.

Show

21. - Top - End - #861

Okay, cool! Not defending their action was just making a note.
    Oh, I know. Sorry if I came off a bit harsh there. Hell, for people who we do have files on, we'll do the legwork ourselves to get updated prescriptions if we need. But Joe Blow comes in off the street having never set foot in here before and is suddenly flabbergasted he needs to have Fancy Paper for their insurance to pay? Come off it, Joe, it doesn't magically work different because you want it to.

That's the thing, too. They're always upset about it. The last guy stormed out saying "it's easier to buy on the internet!" Guess what buddy, you can just whip out cash and buy it from me just as easily. I don't care about whether or not I have the prescription, your insurance company cares whether or not I have the prescription, and you're the one wanting to go through insurance.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

That's how it works in America, even (or, at least, New York and Massachusetts; I haven't lived in any other state to know how they handle it). When the doctor writes the prescription they ask what pharmacy to send it to, and then the pharmacy keeps it on file unless I ask them to send it somewhere else, and I just need to go pick up refills.

Maybe that customer had recently moved, forgot to have it sent to the new pharmacy, and it'd been so long since their prescription was an issue that they just forgot it needed sending?
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #863

That's how it works in America, even (or, at least, New York and Massachusetts; I haven't lived in any other state to know how they handle it). When the doctor writes the prescription they ask what pharmacy to send it to, and then the pharmacy keeps it on file unless I ask them to send it somewhere else, and I just need to go pick up refills.
    That's how it works here too. Easy peasy.
    Maybe that customer had recently moved, forgot to have it sent to the new pharmacy, and it'd been so long since their prescription was an issue that they just forgot it needed sending?
    Imagine walking into a pharmacy you've never set foot in before and trying to get some painkillers. Not a national chain, just Peelee's Local Pharmacy Shop.

That's what these people effectively do. And then get upset at us.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

24. - Top - End - #864

DrowGuy

Okay, let's start from the beginning. Just to make things easier for myself I'm going to use Mythos Life as an example.

What does your player spend most of their time doing? What aspect do they primarily engage in? In Mythos Life this is about managing suspicion, keeping people from thinking you're stark raving mad. In developing this idea so far a lot of this comes down to time management, making sure you don't get discovered in a nightclub when you're supposed to be giving your 2PM lecture, making sure you're seen doing stuff outside of working, eating, sleeping, and chasing down leads often enough to stop people from asking questions, with a side order of making sure you don't start ranting about shoggoths in polite company.

For for your theoretical game (GitPFCG for short), what's your primary gameplay loop? What do you spend most of your time doing? It spunds like the primary loop would be reading forum threads and looking for troll posts or the like, which isn't exactly engaging. Now there are some games which have built themselves around the primary loop of 'go to a place and read some text', but the more you move into that the more you need an interesting setting, complex characters, and a deep story. Planescape: Torment is pretty much the example here, although many games do it to a lesser extent where the combat tends to be viewed as much weaker than the world exploration and character interaction. Sadly, an internet forum is not an interesting setting, especially when I can type www.giantitp.coc into my web browser and read the actual forum.

So what does the player do, and why is this engaging? That's the first question you really have to ask yourself, why should I play this game over, for example, Stein's Gate, a game where the primary gameplay loop is 'read some text'.
    You're being very constructive here. This computer game is a work in progress.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

That's how it works here too. Easy peasy.

Imagine walking into a pharmacy you've never set foot in before and trying to get some painkillers. Not a national chain, just Peelee's Local Pharmacy Shop.

That's what these people effectively do. And then get upset at us.
    If I'm getting them for myself and am able to go to the pharmacy, they're over-the-counter painkillers and that's entirely imaginable.
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #866

If I'm getting them for myself and am able to go to the pharmacy, they're over-the-counter painkillers and that's entirely imaginable.
    You're using more logic than they are. I can sell them anything they want without a prescription, they just can't go through insurance that way. But they don't want that. You can walk in my store right now, toss down a credit card or cash, and I'll hook you up with everything we got. But the second you pull out your insurance card, I need that RX.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

27. - Top - End - #867
    Bugbear in the Playground

What if the game were set in a literal playground, where characters were actual fantasy things? Like dragons, liches, tieflings, paladins? I'm not sure what you'd do... play on a swingset?

All this talk of games reminds me of my RPG idea. Where instead of fights, you have dance battles which play out like a rhythm game. So far most people I've told my idea to politely changed the subject. Others were more to the point.

I'm thinking that I dodged a bullet by not getting into game design.
    Last edited by The Fury; 2020-01-21 at 08:19 AM.
    Iop brain.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    What if the game were set in a literal playground, where characters were actual fantasy things? Like dragons, liches, tieflings, paladins? I'm not sure what you'd do... play on a swingset?
    I mean, it's possible, the point was more 'develop the idea!!!1!'

All this talk of games reminds me of my RPG idea. Where instead of fights, you have dance battles which play out like a rhythm game. So far most people I've told my idea to politely changed the subject. Others were more to the point.
    I swear I've heard of a game like that once, I think the twist was supposed to be that each boss danced in a different style that changed the rhythm game mechanics slightly? I don't know, but as long as you have decent enough difficulty scaling such a game could be fun.

Heck, you could switch out the dance battles for music duels and fpcus it on wandering bards using the same kind of idea. I'm sure if you presented it like that people would find it less silly.

Because I am getting a little bit tired of how many games focus on combat as the thing the player does, especially if you want a story to go alongside the gameplay. So Dance Masters: Legend of Disco, or whatever name you're using for this idea, at least linsters me.

I'm thinking that I dodged a bullet by not getting into game design.
    It could be worse. While I was at university I got into arguments with game design students over whether or not balance was important. I still maintain that a well balanced game is more important than one with varied ideas.

Show

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Ha ha, yeah, sorry about that! I got real busy and didn't have time to answer, and then I forgot about it. But I kept the tab open for a year and a half, fortunately, and I figured I should respond.
    Hehehe, well, apparently I shouldn't talk, since it took me nearly a month to respond in turn!

Glad to hear about the stability. My condolences about the inverse correlation between work and health—that sounds like a really hard situation to deal with, and it also sounds like one at least artificially engineered by your boss. That part seems the most frustrating, at least to me. I hope he changes his mind and grants you a health leave, though I'm guessing you're not holding your breath.
    I think I should talk to his boss (my previous manager who got himself promoted), since he knows better how flexible you can be within the rules. My current manager has a tendency to stick to the rules RAW if he gets unsure about company policy.

Oh, that's too bad. Although a language that corrupts data at random intervals sounds like it could be useful in very niche cases.
    Very niche cases.

It could be worse. While I was at university I got into arguments with game design students over whether or not balance was important. I still maintain that a well balanced game is more important than one with varied ideas.
    What kind of games are we talking about here, and what kind of balance?
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    What kind of games are we talking about here, and what kind of balance?
    It's been long enough ago that I don't remember the details, but the focus was on computer games. My problem was that every time I tried to discuss gameplay/mechanics the conversation was returned to 'I've come up with this really cool setting...', so I've since come to the conclusion that the question of 'how does the user interact with the world' was considered a minor detail at best.

Now the thing is, all mechanics need balancing, even if there's no other players to compete against, to ensure that they deliver the intended experience. With an exception for games like visual novels where the mechanics essentially boil down to 'pick an option that shuffles you through uninteractable events and leads to another choice'. This balancing is more important in competitive games, but it still has to be there in other variaties. Now I was thinking more along the lines of wargame/RPG mechanics, as we had been discussing balancing games before this and I'd used D&D4e as an example of trying to balance without testing.

Anyway, a friend recommended I try Phaser, so I'm going to start messing around with it and see if I can get a short one level game made in it.

Show