New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mystic Muse's Magnificent Masquerade Random Banter #225

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Reminder that Jules Vernes thought it was vital we know the life history of a priest Valjean steals from ever so slightly, but not that Javert gets paid like ****. Proper literature is flying by the seat of it's pants, same as you, and you have the cushion of those before you having gone past.

Also yeah they sound like dullards.
    Victor Hugo dear, Jules Verne was the moon cannon guy.

But yeah, I hear you. And yes, I never got how some people can watch soap operas all day but turn their noses up at anime or fantasy stories, the average level of storytelling is exactly the same.

Anyway, trying to get my friend to agree to meet up next week, because while I may have trouble reading my own feelings I know my friend needs to be getting out and doing stuff before her medication stops working.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-12-13 at 03:43 PM.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post

But yeah, I hear you. And yes, I never got how some people can watch soap operas all day but turn their noses up at anime or fantasy stories, the average level of storytelling is exactly the same.

Anyway, trying to get my friend to agree to meet up next week, because while I may have trouble reading my own feelings I know my friend needs to be getting out and doing stuff before her medication stops working.
    Look I'm very sick *flops*

People can watch Soap Operas all day because sometimes, sometimes, the soap opera you're watching randomly has the three witches from MacBeth or Hamlet or whatever in it and they're just aunties to this sweet baby and have no connection to any of the plot otherwise because there's no other supernatural **** going on except for Stephano the Phoenix, a rich multi-billionaire that hates your family and refuses to die.

In retrospect watching this **** with my Grandma for years on end explains a lot about me.

Good luck AnonWizard!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Thank you, I was really confused there for a bit and thought Verne had some mighty strong opinions on Les Misérables.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-13 at 03:50 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Thank you, I was really confused there for a bit and thought Verne had some mighty strong opinions on Les Misérables.
    He thought the whole thing was none-cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Look I'm very sick *flops*

People can watch Soap Operas all day because sometimes, sometimes, the soap opera you're watching randomly has the three witches from MacBeth or Hamlet or whatever in it and they're just aunties to this sweet baby and have no connection to any of the plot otherwise because there's no other supernatural **** going on except for Stephano the Phoenix, a rich multi-billionaire that hates your family and refuses to die.

In retrospect watching this **** with my Grandma for years on end explains a lot about me.

Good luck AnonWizard!
    That's no excuse for getting authors wrong! It not mattering is a far better excuse.

And nah, but there are Northerners in it, which I think are as fantastic as witches are. Honestly that sounds much more entertaining thant he soaps I sometimes have to sit through, but sometimes there's a gay vicar and that's alright (until the offensive 'I feel sorry for all these straight actors who have to do gay kisses'*).

Thanks, I'm still waiting for her to some back online.

* From the same person who a) refuses to admit that Foundation might be a fantastical exploration of the lifecycle of states and the realities of mob psychology and b) thinks me being genderfluid is just a phase.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

6. - Top - End - #96

That's no excuse for getting authors wrong! It not mattering is a far better excuse.

And nah, but there are Northerners in it, which I think are as fantastic as witches are. Honestly that sounds much more entertaining thant he soaps I sometimes have to sit through, but sometimes there's a gay vicar and that's alright (until the offensive 'I feel sorry for all these straight actors who have to do gay kisses'*).

Thanks, I'm still waiting for her to some back online.

* From the same person who a) refuses to admit that Foundation might be a fantastical exploration of the lifecycle of states and the realities of mob psychology and b) thinks me being genderfluid is just a phase.
    Days of our Lives went off the ****ing chain at times. It takes place in Salem and there are witches and they're just kinda there. It's great.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Days of our Lives went off the ****ing chain at times. It takes place in Salem and there are witches and they're just kinda there. It's great.
    Maybe I'll look it up, I need a new crazy show.

Anyway, a game I've been wanting to play since it came out is on sale for £15, let's see if my PC is even able to start it up (I expect it to run terribly, but in many ways I'd rather have it ready for when I upgreade my PC than otherwise). I'll probably disappear as soon as it finishes installing, and see if I can get it to run even at a bad framerate.

Show

8. - Top - End - #98

Maybe I'll look it up, I need a new crazy show.

Anyway, a game I've been wanting to play since it came out is on sale for £15, let's see if my PC is even able to start it up (I expect it to run terribly, but in many ways I'd rather have it ready for when I upgreade my PC than otherwise). I'll probably disappear as soon as it finishes installing, and see if I can get it to run even at a bad framerate.
    I mean do keep in mind it's a Soap Opera. Sure there are episodes where the main love interests motorcycles through a stain glass window but other days it's just relationship drama without end. It's why Wrestling is to boys what Soap Operas are to girls, in my opinion.

What game?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

I mean do keep in mind it's a Soap Opera. Sure there are episodes where the main love interests motorcycles through a stain glass window but other days it's just relationship drama without end. It's why Wrestling is to boys what Soap Operas are to girls, in my opinion.

What game?
    I mean, I suspect that if I wasn't in a black hole of singleness I'd adore the relationship drama of soap operas, but as it is right now they just make me feel like a failure.

I also never understood the appeal of Wrestling, if I want to watch two muscled men rolling around on the floor I know exactly which websites I have to pretend not to be looking at. (Okay, I kind of get it from a performance perspective, but if I wanted athletic performance I'd watch a combat sport and if I want acting I'll watch a show or catch a play, so I only half see the appeal.)

And it's a game from my all time favourite series, one where I'm still shocked when people into games claim to have never played it, where one character's battle theme managed to top the UK rock charts, a game where beating your enemies is almost as important as looking good while doing it. And one that should totally have made Lady and Trish playable characters, even if only as post-game extras. Yeah, Devil May Cry 5. Steam thinks it'll take almost five hours to finish downloading, but **** it I'm going to stay up until then.

Show

10. - Top - End - #100

I mean, I suspect that if I wasn't in a black hole of singleness I'd adore the relationship drama of soap operas, but as it is right now they just make me feel like a failure.

I also never understood the appeal of Wrestling, if I want to watch two muscled men rolling around on the floor I know exactly which websites I have to pretend not to be looking at. (Okay, I kind of get it from a performance perspective, but if I wanted athletic performance I'd watch a combat sport and if I want acting I'll watch a show or catch a play, so I only half see the appeal.)

And it's a game from my all time favourite series, one where I'm still shocked when people into games claim to have never played it, where one character's battle theme managed to top the UK rock charts, a game where beating your enemies is almost as important as looking good while doing it. And one that should totally have made Lady and Trish playable characters, even if only as post-game extras. Yeah, Devil May Cry 5. Steam thinks it'll take almost five hours to finish downloading, but **** it I'm going to stay up until then.
    Wrestling is for the relationship drama and also watching a man get thrown through a table. It's great! Mostly.

Aah, Devil May Cry 5. I should play more of that I did like the tutorial and first level and loved every single second of it and then got distracted by my myriad distractions.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to quote one of my favorite fan parodies to sum up my work day.

I can't die, I'm too busy.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

strong views on what is 'proper literature',
    Proper literature is unreadable junk IMO.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Finally sitting down to have a lunch.

I knew it was going to be one of 'those' days when a guy showed up at the door an hour early, ignored me when I told him we don't open for an hour, and tried opening the door anyway.

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Finally sitting down to have a lunch.

I knew it was going to be one of 'those' days when a guy showed up at the door an hour early, ignored me when I told him we don't open for an hour, and tried opening the door anyway.
    Oh goodness... hope things go better for you from here on out, at least *sends hugs*

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

It's very sad that the world is very closed-minded and negative. If only the world was open-minded and positive it will be a much better place.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-12-13 at 05:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

No one heard you in the last random banter thread because text is not an auditory medium.

Statistically speaking, there are probably several people on this forum who use screen readers, due to visual impairment, severe dyslexia, or whatever. So at least one person might have heard Bartmanhomer.

SOURCE: Spent lots of time improving our accessibility level this quarter. On the plus side, I know way more about ARIA roles and attributes than I did 3 months ago.
    Last edited by Sermil; 2019-12-13 at 05:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Reminder that Jules Vernes thought it was vital we know the life history of a priest Valjean steals from ever so slightly, but not that Javert gets paid like ****.
    The backstory of Monseigneur Bienvenue was more relevant in the time period the book was published, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I mean he probably did, you can’t be a French writer and escape the shadow of Hugo.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    Statistically speaking, there are probably several people on this forum who use screen readers, due to visual impairment, severe dyslexia, or whatever. So at least one person might have heard Bartmanhomer.
    Was waiting for somebody to point this out.

I stand by my terrible joke.

I am probably going to collapse in bed when I get home.

At least friend will be here in an hour, even if they might be drunk.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Wrestling is for the relationship drama and also watching a man get thrown through a table. It's great! Mostly.

Aah, Devil May Cry 5. I should play more of that I did like the tutorial and first level and loved every single second of it and then got distracted by my myriad distractions.
    Like, I still don't get the appeal, if I want relationship drama I can generally get better written stuff by asking my friend [redacted] how it's going with the latest boyfriend In all seriousness, everything I've seen of wrestling just hasn't convinced me it's well written enough to be worth watching for the relationship drama when I can just put Coronation Street on, or for the action when I can just watch a martial arts movie (which might not have people being thrown through a table, but probably looks much nicer).

And yeah, as I said I'm hoping to be able to get it to run on my laptop, but then again one of the post-Christmas things I'm going to be doing anyway is ripping bits out and modding in as high end components as I can afford, so even if I can't run it now it'll be worth having in my library for when this machine can run it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    It's very sad that the world is very closed-minded and negative. If only the world was open-minded and positive it will be a much better place.
    Unfortunately that's a big ask. And I really can't get into this sort of discussion, because after what's just happened I have some very choice, not very nice, and not very here-appropriate words to say on the subject of how the world is.

Show

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The backstory of Monseigneur Bienvenue was more relevant in the time period the book was published, though.

I mean he probably did, you can’t be a French writer and escape the shadow of Hugo.
    This is true but I don't think it's actually true, if that makes sense? It's a factually true thing that he definitely thought this was the case, but was it really? I don't think so, and I've read the unabridged version of Les Mis.

I'd love to hear stuff like that, honestly.

I am probably going to collapse in bed when I get home.

At least friend will be here in an hour, even if they might be drunk.
    *Slides pillow across country so you'll fall on it and be extra comfy*

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Like, I still don't get the appeal, if I want relationship drama I can generally get better written stuff by asking my friend [redacted] how it's going with the latest boyfriend In all seriousness, everything I've seen of wrestling just hasn't convinced me it's well written enough to be worth watching for the relationship drama when I can just put Coronation Street on, or for the action when I can just watch a martial arts movie (which might not have people being thrown through a table, but probably looks much nicer).

And yeah, as I said I'm hoping to be able to get it to run on my laptop, but then again one of the post-Christmas things I'm going to be doing anyway is ripping bits out and modding in as high end components as I can afford, so even if I can't run it now it'll be worth having in my library for when this machine can run it.

Unfortunately that's a big ask. And I really can't get into this sort of discussion, because after what's just happened I have some very choice, not very nice, and not very here-appropriate words to say on the subject of how the world is.
    Yes I know. Forum rules. Anyway I'm thinking of creating a new D&D 3.5 character. I think I've made 200+ character sheets. Most of the sheets are unfinished.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

I feel like this describes at least a quarter of the posts in these threads. Don't worry, you're not alone.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I'm throwing moral support your way, if nothing else. All I can really do, I'm afraid.
    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I feel like this describes at least a quarter of the posts in these threads. Don't worry, you're not alone.
    The other three quarters being my amazing jokes, I assume?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-13 at 06:14 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Today is Friday The 13th. The Blood Wars between the devils and demons are coming into this planet only on Friday The 13th.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

This is true but I don't think it's actually true, if that makes sense? It's a factually true thing that he definitely thought this was the case, but was it really? I don't think so, and I've read the unabridged version of Les Mis.

I'd love to hear stuff like that, honestly.
    Is what true?
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #116
    Barbarian in the Playground

***words***
    *Gives LaZodiac and anyone else who actually wants it coffee cake.*
    yumm cinnoman coffee cake, and I have some hot coffee right here .. .. ..
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

27. - Top - End - #117

Is what true?
    It is true that the backstory of the random priest was more necessary information than Javert's terrible paycheck back when the book was written. Or at least, it seems as such since that's how Hugo wrote it, showing that he felt as such. Is it truly true that this was true, however?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

It is true that the backstory of the random priest was more necessary information than Javert's terrible paycheck back when the book was written. Or at least, it seems as such since that's how Hugo wrote it, showing that he felt as such. Is it truly true that this was true, however?
    Necessary to the story, no. But let's just say that writing a monarchist priest as a positive figure in 1862 is sending a particular message.

Edit: I'm not sure why you focus on Javert's wages, though. He certainly doesn't care himself.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-12-13 at 06:38 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #119

Necessary to the story, no. But let's just say that writing a monarchist priest as a positive figure in 1862 is sending a particular message.

Edit: I'm not sure why you focus on Javert's wages, though. He certainly doesn't care himself.
    I'm focusing on Javert's wage because it's the only example I can think of that is relevant but not talked about. Javert being paid peanuts but persuing this man with reckless abandon, constantly, is a sign that he does really take his job seriously. He's not in it for the money. He wants Justice, or at least his understanding of it.

And admitidly it's been an actual decade since I've read Les Mis so I don't remember the details otherwise. I know the priest never shows up again and it's mostly a case of "here is the history of the man Val Jean will steal a candlestick from, which will haunt him the rest of his days".

30. - Top - End - #120
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Technically, they'd be hearing a computerised voice reading the text Bartmanhomer wrote. Unless Bartmanhomer recorded the voice samples for the screenreader software, I guess.