New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Mystic Muse's Magnificent Masquerade Random Banter #225

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I mean, if it's smaller than I guess it's a light2sabre
    Yeah, a lightsaber.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    ....so you made a lightsaber, then?
    Sort of.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, a lightsaber.
    I still prefer the term lightlightsabre.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #244

I still prefer the term lightlightsabre.
    Lightsqaredsaber? Lightsquaber?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Sort of.
    What's the difference between your light dagger and a lightsaber?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-17 at 03:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Lightsabers are magic weapons?!
    Yes.

They are magic in the sense that the explanation for how they work makes no scientific sense at all. So they are magic in the same way that Doctor’s Who’s Tardis or Star Trek’s whateveritwasthatresurrectedSpock are magic. They’re plot devices that are impossible in the real world but not magical in-universe. In that way they are just as magical as most of Star Wars’s technology.

They are magic in the sense that they are meant to evoke magic swords of myths and fairy tale and serve much the same purpose.

They are magic in the sense that the crystal that is essential to make them is supernatural and often implied (or even stated) to have a spiritual connection with its wielded like in TFA where the saber chooses Rey over Kylo Ren or in Kotor II where the Dantooine’s crystal power grows with the player character’s.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Light2sabre is still my preference.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-12-17 at 03:27 PM.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #247

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    or in Kotor II where the Dantooine’s crystal power grows with the player character’s.
    Can we take a minute to appreciate just how fantastic that mechanic was? It was so thematically great for the Exile.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

What's the difference between your light dagger and a lightsaber?
    Light dagger is smaller than a lightsaber.

9. - Top - End - #249

Light dagger is smaller than a lightsaber.
    Right, like a lightsaber.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Can we take a minute to appreciate just how fantastic that mechanic was? It was so thematically great for the Exile.
    It’s hardly novel but I loved the way that game integrated RPG convention into story elements.

«Oh, you know how you kept getting stronger with each ennemy you kill? That’s because you’re basically a space vampire, you bastard».
    Please ignore all the non-combat EXP, thank you very much.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-12-17 at 03:35 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Right, like a lightsaber.
    But smaller.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean, if it's smaller than I guess it's a light2sabre

EDIT:

I suspect it's that, more than anything, that's stopping me from finding somebody.

Huh, interesting, I definitely remember it being a semicircular arc that was pulled back to the handle by a field. Then again, it took me nearly twenty years to realise that jedi kept their lightsabres on their belts via the rings on the bottom of the hilts, I was never that into Star Wars as a kid.
    The first step to solving a problem is acknowledging it exists.

I'm not into Star Wars either I just like laser swords.

13. - Top - End - #253

But smaller.
    You, uh, didn't click that link, did ya?

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yes.

They are magic in the sense that the explanation for how they work makes no scientific sense at all. So they are magic in the same way that Doctor’s Who’s Tardis or Star Trek’s whateveritwasthatresurrectedSpock are magic. They’re plot devices that are impossible in the real world but not magical in-universe. In that way they are just as magical as most of Star Wars’s technology.

They are magic in the sense that they are meant to evoke magic swords of myths and fairy tale and serve much the same purpose.

They are magic in the sense that the crystal that is essential to make them is supernatural and often implied (or even stated) to have a spiritual connection with its wielded like in TFA where the saber chooses Rey over Kylo Ren or in Kotor II where the Dantooine’s crystal power grows with the player character’s.
    Oh wow cool.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The first step to solving a problem is acknowledging it exists.
    I've mastered step 1, I know I have plenty of problems. But I've got almost no practice with step 2: start doing something about it.

I'm not into Star Wars either I just like laser swords.
    In all honesty, I have a significant preference for realistic swords because I can know how they work. It's one of the reasons katana fanboyism annoys me, a lot of the characteristics of the katana were either to deal with low quality iron or a response to an enviromental factor in Japan, katata would have been significantly less useful in China (which had jian and dao, the former being one of my favourite styles*), let alone europe at a similar time period (which was moving away from arming swords and long swords and towards rapiers and sabres).

* If I need a ceremonial sword in a science fiction setting nine times out of ten it'll be a crossguardless jian, the rest of the time generally a sabre. Even though the cultures I'm using rarely have Chinese influences, I just like the style.

Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

You, uh, didn't click that link, did ya?
    I did.

17. - Top - End - #257

I've mastered step 1, I know I have plenty of problems. But I've got almost no practice with step 2: start doing something about it.

In all honesty, I have a significant preference for realistic swords because I can know how they work. It's one of the reasons katana fanboyism annoys me, a lot of the characteristics of the katana were either to deal with low quality iron or a response to an enviromental factor in Japan, katata would have been significantly less useful in China (which had jian and dao, the former being one of my favourite styles*), let alone europe at a similar time period (which was moving away from arming swords and long swords and towards rapiers and sabres).

* If I need a ceremonial sword in a science fiction setting nine times out of ten it'll be a crossguardless jian, the rest of the time generally a sabre. Even though the cultures I'm using rarely have Chinese influences, I just like the style.
    These are very good sword opinions. I like real swords myself the regular, normal amount (this is a lie). The katana fetishization is weird but also they're really stylish so I still use it in my works where appropriate (typically for people who's fighting style is supposed to be more flow-y).

I recently did some study on talwars for a character and they're like, a really good sweet spot between european and eastern sword design?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

I am personally extremely fond of Warscythes.

I know actual scythes are garbage as weapons, but shush.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

These are very good sword opinions. I like real swords myself the regular, normal amount (this is a lie). The katana fetishization is weird but also they're really stylish so I still use it in my works where appropriate (typically for people who's fighting style is supposed to be more flow-y).
    I mean, katana are stylish, but these days I tend to use them to make a point that 'this person isn't as badass as they think they are' if I use them at all. The alternative reason I'd give them to someone is if I'm explicitly saying they've been trained in japanese martial arts, but as I said my defaults are jian if I think I can get away with it, sabres if I can't, and if somebody is holding a kukri they are exactly as badass as the katana wielders think they are.

As a general rule though sword wielders in my works use more refined fighting styles than wielders of other weapons, and generally have noble blood. Which is why my MC gets forced into using spears, quarterstaffs, and other weapons a lot more than being able to use his sword, as despite being a highly trained warrior he's noticeably brutal and direct in his fighting.

I recently did some study on talwars for a character and they're like, a really good sweet spot between european and eastern sword design?
    Yep, they're really nice. I'm intentionally restricting myself to weaponry available in 12th century England though, as well as armour from roughly that period (a big development late in the story is coats of plates starting to become common for knights). It helps my versimilitude, I'm trying to base as much of the setting as I can on that period and draw on UK folklore, but it does mean that about 90% of the swords that appear are arming swords.

EDIT: huh, had forgotten about scythe weapons, might have to have a farmer convert their scythe during the big 'defend the village' scene that caps off part 3.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-12-17 at 04:08 PM.

Show

20. - Top - End - #260

I mean, katana are stylish, but these days I tend to use them to make a point that 'this person isn't as badass as they think they are' if I use them at all. The alternative reason I'd give them to someone is if I'm explicitly saying they've been trained in japanese martial arts, but as I said my defaults are jian if I think I can get away with it, sabres if I can't, and if somebody is holding a kukri they are exactly as badass as the katana wielders think they are.

As a general rule though sword wielders in my works use more refined fighting styles than wielders of other weapons, and generally have noble blood. Which is why my MC gets forced into using spears, quarterstaffs, and other weapons a lot more than being able to use his sword, as despite being a highly trained warrior he's noticeably brutal and direct in his fighting.

Yep, they're really nice. I'm intentionally restricting myself to weaponry available in 12th century England though, as well as armour from roughly that period (a big development late in the story is coats of plates starting to become common for knights). It helps my versimilitude, I'm trying to base as much of the setting as I can on that period and draw on UK folklore, but it does mean that about 90% of the swords that appear are arming swords.

EDIT: huh, had forgotten about scythe weapons, might have to have a farmer convert their scythe during the big 'defend the village' scene that caps off part 3.
    I feel like you're dipping a bit too hard into "Katana bad". They're good swords as far as sidearms go, real world wise, and yes being good at swordplay likely meant you were a **** archer, but I say have a little fun with it. In my world, Felisian (read: European) style swords are heavier and weightier, so the fighting style using them is different than if you were using a katana. They're just designed and fought with differently.

Of course none of this really matters much to my actual book since it takes place in modern day and only one person in said book uses a sword. People still use swords in general, but for reasons.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like you're dipping a bit too hard into "Katana bad". They're good swords as far as sidearms go, real world wise, and yes being good at swordplay likely meant you were a **** archer, but I say have a little fun with it. In my world, Felisian (read: European) style swords are heavier and weightier, so the fighting style using them is different than if you were using a katana. They're just designed and fought with differently.
    I've met too many katana fanboys.

Anyway, the point is less 'katana bad sword', they were good for the environment they appeared in and pretty decent weapons overall. This is more me being annoyed by katana fanboys, so kfbs that appear in my work might get to be competent, but they're never as powerful as they think they are (katana are approximately as strong as other swords weapon-wise, as shown by the characters who use them for more practical reasons).

I also kind of dislike the trend of 'european martial arts were less refined/aesthetic than asian martial arts'. Sure, they were different, and many of the surviving ones ave markedly different aesthetics, but fencing is still a graceful form. Not criticising you of falling into the trap

Of course none of this really matters much to my actual book since it takes place in modern day and only one person in said book uses a sword. People still use swords in general, but for reasons.
    I mean, everything's fair. Speaking of books, I need to return to writing.

Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Very high chance of getting a heel face turn into a mascot character, fired.
    ...you can't fire me. I never got hired.
    Is that mascot character gig paid?

In other news, my ISP decided someone shouldn't have internet for 8 or so hours while maintenance happened, so I've a lot of catching up to do.

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Yes, in exposure.
    In other news, my ISP decided someone shouldn't have internet for 8 or so hours while maintenance happened, so I've a lot of catching up to do.
    You can save time by skipping my posts and just assuming I was smart, witty, and handsome in them. Some people think one can't be handsome in an internet post. Those people are clearly wrong.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-17 at 04:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264

I've met too many katana fanboys.

Anyway, the point is less 'katana bad sword', they were good for the environment they appeared in and pretty decent weapons overall. This is more me being annoyed by katana fanboys, so kfbs that appear in my work might get to be competent, but they're never as powerful as they think they are (katana are approximately as strong as other swords weapon-wise, as shown by the characters who use them for more practical reasons).

I also kind of dislike the trend of 'european martial arts were less refined/aesthetic than asian martial arts'. Sure, they were different, and many of the surviving ones ave markedly different aesthetics, but fencing is still a graceful form. Not criticising you of falling into the trap

I mean, everything's fair. Speaking of books, I need to return to writing.
    Some personal advice; "I'm not criticizing you for doing x bad thing" is still criticizing, just with a pompous air. And for the record I'm not falling into the trap. Where did I say they're less refined? They're just heavier weapons. There's still a lot of art and swordplay in how I treat the standard european style weaponry. They are after all really good swords for a reason. The only real difference is that, for lack of a better term, Katana's are a dex weapon and Bastard Sword's are strength weapons. That feels legitimate and intuitive, even if real world wise it's not true. Both are equally elegant as a killing art.

...you can't fire me. I never got hired.

Fair point and absolutely but you didn't hear it from me.

Incredulous. I hate how Canada does it's internet.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Some personal advice; "I'm not criticizing you for doing x bad thing" is still criticizing, just with a pompous air. And for the record I'm not falling into the trap.
    Pretty sure Anon meant "I'm not saying you fell into the trap of..."
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

26. - Top - End - #266

Pretty sure Anon meant "I'm not saying you fell into the trap of..."
    Yeah that's probably a misread and overreaction on my part. Nothing twigs me off more than stuff like that so I can be a bit... what's the opposite of trigger shy?

My apologies, AnonWizard!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, in exposure.
    I'm not exposing myself any more than I already am in these clothes, thank you very much. Hmph.

Fair point and absolutely but you didn't hear it from me.

Incredulous. I hate how Canada does it's internet.
    I'm getting conflicting answers here.

...yeah, it sucks. At least it wasn't an issue on my end.

what's the opposite of trigger shy?
    Trigger happy?

28. - Top - End - #268

I'm not exposing myself any more than I already am in these clothes, thank you very much. Hmph.
    What I think of when you say things like that.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

I feel like I should be offended. Those are obviously not good actors.
    Also, was that not a thing a human would say?
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-12-17 at 05:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270

I feel like I should be offended. Those are obviously not good actors.
    You were expecting maybe Calculon?