New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Feats for a Druid?

I知 building a fifth-level druid and need suggestions for worthy and interesting feats. Natural Spell is a given, but I知 drawing a blank for the other two.

There痴 not enough room to really focus on summoning, so I知 looking for other ideas. Not sure yet if I知 going for an animal companion, so options that enhance druid domain powers would be especially interesting.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Feats for a Druid?

Straight Druid 5, no multiclassing planned right? Any archetypes?

Is your combat style mostly spellcasting/blasting, or shapeshifting/mauling? Did you grab the companion or the domain as your bond?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, pure druid 5, with an emphasis on scouting and casting. Definitely no mauling or other melee if I can help it.

Hadn't even thought about archetypes yet. Probably going with the domain option, but not decided for sure.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

War Blessing, then take any blessings that don't need a standard action.

Planar Wildshape.

Divine Interference (eventually, that is)
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2020-10-12 at 01:59 PM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Curious how you will get natural spell when it requires wild shape at level five, but you get the feat slot at 3 or 6.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Curious how you will get natural spell when it requires wild shape at level five, but you get the feat slot at 3 or 6.
    Pathfinder
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah yes. Ye olde 3.75

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Psyren
    Did you grab the companion or the domain as your bond?
    Just to follow up on this, I've decided to go with Weather domain. Are there any feats that might enhance this somehow?

(Watch out for his fingers, they make sparks....)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Just to follow up on this, I've decided to go with Weather domain. Are there any feats that might enhance this somehow?

(Watch out for his fingers, they make sparks....)
    Good choice if you're going primary caster.

As far as feats - metamagic is always good. Extend Spell is valuable early on and stays valuable into higher levels. There are several 10 min./level spells like Barkskin that can be Extended out of combat and persist into a fight, or even across multiple fights. Depending on the type of spells you plan on casting, you may want Spell Focus and Spell Penetration.

I know you wanted to avoid summons, but they're particularly useful for druid since you can spontaneously cast them, giving you something to do every fight, including ones where your other spells may not help. So SF:Conjuration into Augment Summoning may be useful. To paraphrase Treantmonk: "Every time an enemy hits one of your summons, you win. Every time your summons stop an enemy from reaching/full-attacking the party, you win. Every time your summon kills or is the reason for killing an enemy, you win."

If you're really stuck for early feat choices, you can't go wrong with Improved Initiative and Combat Casting.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2020-10-12 at 09:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you really don't know what to do with half of your feats you could also take a look at Variant Multiclassing. Give up half your feats (level 3, 7, etc.), gain some features from another class.
    Alternatively, you could get a somewhat limited animal companion (the classic wolf is still available, though) in addition to your domain by going for Animal Ally. Boon Companion and maybe Evolved Companion might be worth a look, too, if you go that route.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Craft wondrous items is almost always amazing

Dazing spell + metamagic reducers is very very strong

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

While you mostly want to avoid melee, if you're going with WIS & DEX primarily, you still may want to consider Weapon Finesse so that you can wildshape into melee in a pinch.