New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

I'm also of the opinion that the Material Vulnerability isn't that big of a deal. It's only 1d6 nonlethal damage (plus fatigue) per hour, you get a save to negate it, and standard healing options overcome it. For most players, it'll be more of a bookkeeping annoyance than an actual handicap. It's easy enough to combat it with spells and such --- (Aside: Debatra, can you explain why you think those spells might technically not work?) --- or if you don't want to do that, others have already pointed out that there are plenty of mid- to high-tier caster and manifester classes that won't suffer a spell failure chance with a resin suit (I don't think anyone mentioned the invocation-user classes yet, but those can also work well).

Ultimately, I think the 2 racial HD is the bigger limitation for spellcasting kaorti, and I think the mental stat boosts and SLAs go a long way toward compensating for the lost caster levels.

I'm voting for LA +1 for the kaorti.

-----

Two random questions about kaorti:

First, how does the scaling on that Fort DC for Material Vulnerability work? Does it keep accumulating across the lifetime of the kaorti (I guess RAW is "yes", but that's kind of silly)? Or does it reset back to 15 after some rest period in their native environment?

Second, what do y'all make of this quote from the text section on the Resin Suit:

"Resin suits are costly and time-consuming to make; ordinary kaorti (those with 1 HD) are only rarely allowed to use them as a result."

"Ordinary" kaorti only have 1 HD? If that's the case, the "ordinary" ones should get LA +2.
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2020-04-28 at 11:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    I'm also of the opinion that the Material Vulnerability isn't that big of a deal. It's only 1d6 nonlethal damage (plus fatigue) per hour, you get a save to negate it, and standard healing options overcome it.
    Yes, and maybe a mid to high-level party can treat it as just a nuisance. But at level three (and let's just assume +0 here for sake of argument), that d6 is a good chunk of your health and your healing options are far more limited. The save DC also increases every time you have to make it regardless of success. (And here's one for the Completely Dysfunctional Handbook - it never resets by pure RAW. If a Kaorti made ten saves against this damage in one day, then was protected for every second of the next ten years of its life, the DC for its next save after all that time would still be 25. But let's ignore that part for serious discussion because it's just plain silly.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    It's easy enough to combat it with spells and such --- (Aside: Debatra, can you explain why you think those spells might technically not work?)
    I'm not completely certain on that one. Rather than just saying something like "you function normally on whatever plane you're on" or what have you, Avoid Planar Effects has a lengthy list of specific planes and things it protects against. And like so many other things in this game, it's written with medium-size humanoids from the prime material in mind. That said, it's also possible that the opening lines of the spell are general enough to include the Material Plane in its protections. Like I said, I'm not 100% on this one.

Even so, that's a boatload of spell slots and/or gold at low levels. (20,000gp for a permanent item of it)
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

3. - Top - End - #693

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Yes, and maybe a mid to high-level party can treat it as just a nuisance. But at level three (and let's just assume +0 here for sake of argument), that d6 is a good chunk of your health and your healing options are far more limited.
    Okay, but it is nonlethal damage. Remember that nonlethal damage heals at 1 pt / level / hour. So, at level 3, even if you fail your save every hour, you'll break even half the time just by virtue of your natural healing, without even using any resources.

Of course, the fatigue would still be an inconvenience, but fatigue doesn't really hurt a spellcaster as much as a frontliner. And with the racial bonuses to Dex and natural armor, a fatigued kaorti caster is still probably coming out about even in the AC department.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

And it doesnt matter anyway. Since a Psion, among many other classes, will just wear the suit and be glad for the armor bonus.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

Are you automatically proficient? I forget, but if you are that helps.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Dwarf in the Playground

You know, I can't help but feel this would be nice in Pathfinder. What with Oracle for charisma casting divine magic and Magus dex builds existing, this sucker would be quite nice.

Anyhow, in 3.5 I think a +1 is appropriate. Psionics and bard are viable choices.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

Keeper

The keeper is an unique, interesting, and weird-looking monster, that manages to be a pretty good PC as well.

The chassis isn't half bad: 4 outsider RHD and +4-+8 bonuses to all relevant stats are certainly welcome. SR 13 has its uses, as does 200 ft. blindsight, resistance 10 to a bunch of energy types, scent, and, occasionally, DR 10/magic.

The special abilities are a mixed bag: Body Switch let's the keeper switch places with another keeper ally, making it near-useless in an actual adventuring party. Hive Mind similarly only works for others of its species. Dissolution is arguably negative in utility, as it automatically kills you after ten rounds of being held helpless, leaving only a puddle of contact poison. Sure, getting to nauseate a handful of potential killers is neat, but dying whenever you get taken prisoner really isn't.

The more interesting special abilities are Poison Spit (which lets you mass-nauseate some foes every 1d4 rounds) and Mimic Weapon (which lets you shape one or two arms into any melee weapon that you've seen someone use). The latter ability notably doesn't require proficiency, while also letting you stack natural weapon bonuses on top of a 'manufactured' weapon, so that should open up some neat combos.

The chassis and RHD, in addition to worthwhile abilities, mean that the keeper should be fine at +2 LA (although perhaps a bit on the weak side of that range). Just don't get yourself pinned.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2020-05-04 at 02:24 PM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #698
    Firbolg in the Playground

You continue to significantly undervalue creatures.

Outsider HD are better than the levels of any core non-caster. Full BAB, 8 skill points, all good saves.

A class with no class features, just Outsider HD, is better than a fighter at level 4. By a decent margin. Yes, later game it is less relevant but those are still solid abilities on their own.

Now throw onto that, +4 Natural Armor, +10 ft. movement speed, 20 ft. Climb speed, a breath weapon, 200 ft. Blindsight, immunity to mind-affecting, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, necromatic effects, and anything with a Fort save that doesn't also work on objects, they also aren't subject to critical hits, sneak attacks, subdual damage, ability damage, ability drain, energy drain, or death from massive damage. Then there is the Resistance to Energy 10, Scent, and DR.

This is not a LA+0 race. When you say that, you are claiming that a 4 level long PrC with the following benefits would be balanced.

HD: d8
    Skills: 8+Int
    -Barbarian Fast movement
    -20 ft. climb speed
    -+4 natural armor
    -breath weapon with a 20 ft. cone of poison usable every 1d4 rounds (Contact, DC 14, nauseated 2d6 rounds, cd6 Con, Price: 1,200)
    -immunity to mind-affecting, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, necromantic effects, sneak attacks, critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, ability drain, energy drain, death from massive damage, anything that requires a Fort save and doesn't effect objects.
    -Scent, Blindsight 200 ft., Darkvision 60 ft.
    -Resistance 10 to Fire, Cold, Acid, Electricity, Sonic
    -DR 10/Magic
    -SR 13
    -Some degree of decent attribute bonuses

A four level PrC that did all of that? With no entry requirements? That isn't merely a good PrC, it is one of the very top tier PrC's (at least in any build that it fits with).

It's RAW LA+3 is probably a bit on the high side, but LA+0 is, frankly, absurd.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

This is not a LA+0 race. When you say that, you are claiming that a 4 level long PrC with the following benefits would be balanced.
    It is when the mental balance point is a cleric or a druid

Anyway that aside, its a staggering list of immunities.
    Stat bonuses newer goes out of fashion. Resistances is nice. Blindsight is awesome. DR magic actually remains useful at all levels.

So my initial rating is LA +2.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

10. - Top - End - #700
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I've played this +2. Its one of the level adjustments that might be right. I think I could be talked up or down one.

Its blind but has ranks in spot.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Outsider HD are better than the levels of any core non-caster. Full BAB, 8 skill points, all good saves.
    Keep in mind that we're comparing to tier 4 and up, which means we're mostly talking about classes that have subsystems that can be advanced (spellcasting, initiating, incarnum), and not considering fighter and monk at all. In the tier 1-4 range, raw numbers are nice, but only get you so far. As you yourself said, it's a top-tier race in any build that it fits into... and that's all relatively low-tier.

I'll go with LA +1.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2020-05-01 at 08:56 AM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

12. - Top - End - #702

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    Keep in mind that we're comparing to tier 4 and up, which means we're mostly talking about classes that have subsystems that can be advanced (spellcasting, initiating, incarnum), and not considering fighter and monk at all. In the tier 1-4 range, raw numbers are nice, but only get you so far. As you yourself said, it's a top-tier race in any build that it fits into... and that's all relatively low-tier.

I'll go with LA +1.
    And I repeat, that is a really bad way to figure LA.

A class that was literally nothing but 20 levels of Outsider HD is a tier five class, borderline tier 4. Good HP, full BAB, all good saves, Rogue skill points, and some other random (minor) things.

It's better than core Fighter or Monk in most respects.

What you are saying with an LA+0 race with some number of racial HD is "this is a [RHD] level base class with XYZ benefits". So the question becomes, is that balanced against whatever your baseline balance point is?

In this case, the list of immunities and abilities are plainly not balanced on that scale. Anyone who is going to play a Keeper is going to be doing so while building something that synergizes with its abilities, in which case it is worth some amount of LA.

Is it worth LA+3? No. But is it worth LA+0? Also no. I would probably put it at the higher end of LA+1.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

A class that was literally nothing but 20 levels of Outsider HD is a tier five class, borderline tier 4. Good HP, full BAB, all good saves, Rogue skill points, and some other random (minor) things.

What you are saying with an LA+0 race with some number of racial HD is "this is a [RHD] level base class with XYZ benefits". So the question becomes, is that balanced against whatever your baseline balance point is?

In this case, the list of immunities and abilities are plainly not balanced on that scale. Anyone who is going to play a Keeper is going to be doing so while building something that synergizes with its abilities, in which case it is worth some amount of LA.

Is it worth LA+3? No. But is it worth LA+0? Also no. I would probably put it at the higher end of LA+1.
    You realize that we figure out LA in the same way, right? You and I have reached the same conclusion, at LA +1. And yes, other people have reached other conclusions, but that's what the thread is for: to compare our evaluations. That we reach different conclusions doesn't mean that our method is "really bad", or even that it's any different.

After sitting through dozens of crappy monsters (often of the "has 15 undead RHD" persuasion), we've decided that comparisons to tier 5 are pretty useless, because even if something was balanced against straight core monks, it'd still suck for 90% of the things you wanted to do with it, and it probably wouldn't scale worth a damn.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The easiest T4 comparison point is an Orc Barbarian with the ACF that ups strength and dexterity where it squares up pretty easily to. Its short 1hp, and a bit of touch AC while flat footed, but has climb speed, resistances, a slew of immunities, skills, saves, and that's against the barbarian while its using its rage variant. It has some downsides, but I think it is good enough for +1. It can still get 9th level manuevers if it goes into a ToB class

15. - Top - End - #705

MonkGuy

I also vote +1 for the Keeper.
    3.5 Cast - A GitP member made, third edition podcast
    D&D 3.5 Discord Chat, Come one come all
    The Master Specialist Handbook
    Truly Complete List of 3.5e Base Classes
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    DMG 3.5e page 41:
    "If a player behaves in a way you don't want them to behave, talk to them about it. If they continue, stop playing with them. "
    By RAW, you have to stop playing with the guy.

16. - Top - End - #706

I'll put a vote in for +1 though I could see an arguement for +2.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'd say LA +2, because obviously you're going to play it towards its strengths, of which it has more than a few.
    Last edited by Caelestion; 2020-05-01 at 06:17 PM.

18. - Top - End - #708

Goblin

I started a thread for comparing monster builds. It might be a worthwhile exercise to build a "mid-op" keeper PC just to show whether or not the keeper's abilities really do give it a significant advantage over standard-race characters. I might try it myself later.

-----

While typing this up, I kept waffling between +1 and +2, and I'm still not sure. But, I think I'm going to vote LA +1 for the keeper, just to be "nice," I suppose. It's got a ton of really nice special qualities and immunities, and the Mimic Weapon ability seems really fun to me. I'm a little leery of the Dissolution thing, but I would personally be lenient with that as a DM, so I'm just going to assume that it can be mostly ignored.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

Keeper: the guy who looks like 70s sci-fi art and/or a bad guy from an animated Beatles movie...

• Medium Outsider (Extraplanar)
    • 4RHD of the best kind (full BAB, 3 good saves, 8 skill points/level)
    • Speed 40 ft, climb 20 ft: nice.
    • +4 natural AC: not bad.
    • Mimic weapons: basically a non-magical Morphing weapon. Handy, but I don't believe you can enchant it; maybe a Necklace of Natural attacks or similar?
    • Poison spit: nauseating ranged poison attack, ever 1d4 rounds, with a 2d6 Con damage follow up. Pretty solid special attack: save or suck followed up with Con damage.
    • Blindsight 200 ft, scent: nice.
    • Body switch:weird ability, and not much use unless there are two or more Keepers in a party.
    • DR 10/magic: meh.
    • Dissolution: dissolved into goo if you are helpless for 10 or more rounds.
    • Hive mind: again, only useful if you aren't the only Keeper around.
    • Immunities: immune to mind-affecting, posion, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, necromantic effects, and most attacks that rely on a Fort save. Also critical hits, sneak attacks, subdual damage, ability damage, ability drain, energy drain, or death from massive damage. So, more or less the same immunities that Constructs or Undead get, without losing out on a Con score.
    • Outsider traits: meh.
    • Resistances: all energy types 10. Not bad.
    • SR 13: non-scaling. Meh.
    • Str +8, Dex +6, Con +4, Int +4, Wis -2, Cha -4: net +16, with penalties on two mental stats. Fortunately, Cha is a dump stat in a lot of builds.
    • OK-ish racial skill list. +8 on Climb, Escape Artists and Jump.
    • Spring Attack as a bonus feat: not bad.

Medium humanoid-ish in form, and can speak - so no real issues with gear or class progression. What would you build on this? Melee and/or skillmonkey options seem viable.

They get a lot of good stuff, weighed up against the drawbacks of 4RHD, vulnerability to being helpless or pinned, and penalties on two mental ability scores. Books says +3; I'm in agreement with LA +2 at this point.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I'm waffling between +1 and +2. On the one hand, it does seem pretty strong for a +1. On the other hand, is anything it has worth losing 9th level maneuvers (barring questionably RAW Uncanny Trickster/Legacy Champion tricks) or being that far behind on Essentia/Binding/Invocations/what have you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

While still a rather large risk, how likely is it for you to be pinned for 10 rounds and not be already screwed anyways?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    While still a rather large risk, how likely is it for you to be pinned for 10 rounds and not be already screwed anyways?
    Any sort of Paralysis/forced sleep effect that lasts at least 1 minute? I mean sure it can be avoided to an extent but it does turn something like Sleep or Hold Person into a Save or Die.

Strong +1, it's not bad but loosing 4+ levels of class features hurts and with one of it's special abilities being a weakness that can result in death seems a fair price for a beefy chassis.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

You know, all of this has really got me wanting to use these guys for an encounter next time I DM.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zancloufer View Post
    Any sort of Paralysis/forced sleep effect that lasts at least 1 minute? I mean sure it can be avoided to an extent but it does turn something like Sleep or Hold Person into a Save or Die.

Strong +1, it's not bad but loosing 4+ levels of class features hurts and with one of it's special abilities being a weakness that can result in death seems a fair price for a beefy chassis.
    I’d personally not risk dying like that at all, although this is strictly personal. My point is that you’d still be screwed if someone has the ability to capture you for 10 rounds - Keepers are just more screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    You know, all of this has really got me wanting to use these guys for an encounter next time I DM.
    A lot of Fiend Folio creatures make for great adventure hooks, yeah! And these things in particular literally have such abilities built in.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

They do have built in immunity to most these type of attacks, though.

26. - Top - End - #716

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I’d personally not risk dying like that at all, although this is strictly personal. My point is that you’d still be screwed if someone has the ability to capture you for 10 rounds - Keepers are just more screwed.
    It's definitely a niche problem, which is another reason why I think it can probably safely be ignored.

I was imagining things that can trap you, like forcecage or the various wall spells, which usually don't even allow a save to avoid them. Things like that could easily become lethal, where they would normally just be an annoyance for most PCs. Plus, add the fact that, being an Outsider, you're harder to bring back from the dead, and it basically just makes the game a little more lethal for a keeper than it would otherwise be.

Ultimately, I think it's more than balanced out by all things you're immune to, so it doesn't really change things.

I'm still waffling a bit on my vote, and other people voting for +2 are starting to make me doubt myself. But, I think I'm going to stick with +1 anyway.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Troll in the Playground

Gimme that sweet sweet +2. At 4 quality HD this is a defensive power house and, between its chassis and good stat it feels ready to march into wany good PrC and do well there.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I seem to recall that "helpless" is something of a status condition where a creature is 'at an opponent's mercy' and that lends itself to the dysfunctional reading that some creatures are helpless all the time since evil gods just exist angrily at them.

We gotta add an asterisk to any LA we assign. These guys are all long melted and impossible to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

29. - Top - End - #719

I'll vote +2 as well.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

30. - Top - End - #720
    Dwarf in the Playground

It’s already almost a save or die, because of coup de gráce. A fighter power attacking for full and critting automatically takes a big chunk out of most things