New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

I concur with unavenger. If they can do okay relative to a human in a decent class, they are likely fine. +0

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Titan in the Playground

Just a little something to note: -4 BAB means they are 4 full levels behind full BAB types on getting iteratives.

Sure, that doesn't matter as much if you are focusing on manoeuvres (most of which are a standard action to use) - but on the occasions where you just need to lay the smack down with multiple attacks, you are at somewhat of a disadvantage, despite your Str boost.

Not trying to change anyone's vote, just thought I'd mention it.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Firbolg in the Playground

Crusader does tend to favor the oread more than other full BAB classes, even among initiators, since they almost invariably have standard action strikes. If you look at a barbarian, the oread is going to be way behind on damage because of the BAB loss. My example favors the oread because I think crusader fits them quite well, and I avoided multiclassing (bardsader being an easy one) for simplicity. Almost any other build will put the oread well behind a human with a similar setup, and even in the crusader example, I don't think the oread is ever significantly ahead, if ever ahead at all. If they are, it's only for a level, maybe two. Good for a one-shot at ECL 8-9?
    Last edited by Temotei; 2020-06-25 at 06:45 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Titan in the Playground

I’d say Crusader is the best of the ToB classes for one, yes. Whether that would be good enough is a different question, though I may have ideas depending on their CR. :3
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Titan in the Playground

However, as has been said many times before D&D is a game focused around offense, having decent defense in the end doesn't help much especially when it can so easily be over come by instead just using touch attacks. Oread also doesn't have enough SLAs nor useful enough to be focused on just using SLAs all combat every combat. most of his SLAs can only be used once maybe twice in each combat after that he has to wade into melee because he has nothing else up his sleeve. at which point if not for his +9 NA and +8 con score, he would easily be taken out because of his d6 rhd, he just barely has the HP for melee combat.
    That it has been said many times does not make it true, or even important. It just makes it something that has been said many times.
    I disagreed with that in thread 1. I disagreed with it in thread 2, i.. well you get my point here in thread 8.

And yes AC can easily be overcome with touch attacks. That would be relevant if the wast majority of monsters players are likely to encounter has a meaningful choice there.
    But they dont. And so something that can claw/bite/sword the rest of the party on a 11+ would need a natural 20 to land a scratch on her.
    Where we also from Temotei's analyses saw that she actually has more HP than a regular warrior type.

Sure, that doesn't matter as much if you are focusing on manoeuvres (most of which are a standard action to use) - but on the occasions where you just need to lay the smack down with multiple attacks, you are at somewhat of a disadvantage, despite your Str boost
    Cant have anything. In return the Oread is even better at builds designed around outlasting the opponent crusader style.
    Or with stuff centered around for example area control though a spiked chain. Higher dex for combat reflexes. Higher str for trip checks.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

This thing is capable of casting earthquake a 7th level spell with 7 hit die, and people are saying its not playable. Seems like a weird rogue that needs to figure what else to do other than control a ground based battlefield. +0* need to reread all the rock based spell likes it gets but the frame doesn't look to bad.
    Last edited by Sutr; 2020-06-26 at 06:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sutr View Post
    This thing is capable of casting earthquake a 7th level spell with 7 hit die, and people are saying its not playable. Seems like a weird rogue that needs to figure what else to do other than control a ground based battlefield. +0 need to reread all the rock based spell likes it gets but the frame doesn't look to bad.
    It's playable, it's just not quite strong enough for ECL 7. LA -0 can be trash, but it isn't always.

Earthquake is an interesting one. It's an 8th-level spell at CL 14, which is great. It can automatically collapse a building or cave almost 1000' away. It can even kill multiple targets outright, and it doesn't have the [death] tag. Earthquake really sounds like a great nuke. It takes a closer look to find out that it isn't.

Earthquake, in all its forms, only deals 8d6 damage to creatures, with a DC 15 Reflex save for half damage. Reasonable numbers at ECL 7, but neither the damage nor the DC scales--this quickly fades to nothing. Earthquake affects allies in its area, and the 80' radius isn't very selective. Earthquake can kill targets when cast on open ground, but in that case, it won't do any damage at all, affect only 25% of targets, still allows a save, and allows a full round to escape the fissure and avoid death. The chances of killing a given target are less than 10%. Flying creatures are, of course, entirely immune.

Overall, earthquake has some amazing uses in siegecraft, but as an encounter-solver, it's actually pretty balanced at ECL 7 (unless your encounter is literally a siege, in which case--you brought a minor deity of rock to a siege, of bloody course it's a walkover).
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    Okay, fine, "Making an entirely reasonable character that serves as a decent point of comparison at most tables I've played at." Whatever. It's fine.
    You know what, yeah. That is a persuasive argument.

+0* for the Oread, it's not bad, it's just a side-grade.

Less raw power than a straight classed human in exchange of neat SLAs, a common element type immunity and +9 NA is perfectly fine.

If you are not going to full attack because you are using maneuvers, and I believe we all agree using maneuvers is both fun and effective, the +8 STR makes up for the BAB and then some, as it gets you all the accuracy you lost while also giving you damage. The PA using human will have to ding the former to increase the latter just to match the Oread's Strenght-based damage output.

Rocking an easy 30+ AC at level 8, without buffs, is pretty damn great, and your HP doesn't lag behind a Human Crusader, in fact overtaking it, so no complaints there either.

Beststicks don't lack in damage, they lack in utility and versatility. Here's a race that gives you a ton of earth-based tricks, including the seriously powerful Earthquake, to play around with. Your Burrow Speed and a big pile of skill points also help considerably in that regard, making you more than just your average brute.

Overall, I'd easily play Oread Crusader 1 in a lv 8 party and feel pretty good about it. Tough (high HP, AC, saves), hits hard, Charm Monster + powerful and varied Earth Bending.
    Last edited by TotallyNotEvil; 2020-06-27 at 09:41 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll go with LA +0 as well.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think the SLAs are being underestimated, too. Let's take a closer look:
    SLAs: at will - stone tell; 3/day charm monster, soften earth and stone, spike stones, stone shape, transmute rock to mud; 1/day earthquake, move earth.

- Stone Tell at will: Strong investigative ability. Postcognition on anything stone.
    - Charm Monster: We all know it's good.
    - Spike Stones: Generate an enormous area (a 20ft square per level) of difficult terrain that damages people per 5 ft moved and every time they take damage they have to save or have their speed reduced to half their normal. This is some hard control for earthbound creatures folks.
    - Soften Earth: Lower level than the others on the list so can't affect worked stone, it's still a difficult terrain generator that can even stop people from casting spells for a couple rounds on a failed reflex and it's a fairly wide terrain manipulation ability, plenty useful.
    - Stone Shape: discount stone-only Fabricate, great utility.
    - Transmute Rock to Mud: Straight up a good combat spell.
    - Earthquake: Level 8 "**** these buildings, and the people on them too".
    - Move Earth: Very humbly named, actually capable of large scale terrain manipulation, moving up to 5.65 million cubic feet of earth.

These SLAs aren't weak, they simply follow a theme. If your theme is inapplicable, you still have your strong chassis and whatever classes you pick up. If it is applicable, you are incredibly awesome at it.

I too discounted them at first glance, but fellow Playgrounders, taking a closer look at these will probably surprise you.

On a creature with 7 okay HD, +30 net stat bonuses (and no penalties), +9 NA, Cold Immunity (without vulnerability to Fire!), Burrow Speed, a bunch of skill points and these SLAs do not make for -0.
    Last edited by TotallyNotEvil; 2020-06-26 at 11:17 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I think I'm going to vote +0* as well. Solid stats offset its poorer base chassis for a martial initiator, and its SLA's should be useful in a lot of situations, even if they're not always optimal. The GM will have to rule something to deal with the mountain dependency, but if that's dealt with it'll make fora solid PC.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Firbolg in the Playground

The more I look at my analysis, the more I'm convincing myself to switch to +0.

I never really was underestimating the SLAs, but they're hard to compare to a role you signed up for with crusader (or any other melee, I guess, but once you get into classes that prefer full attacks you're behind for a while as an oread), so I kind of just said "this might be worth +0" and resigned to think about it for a day or two.

Well, I thought about it. Mind changed. +0.

Still kind of on the fence because their progression gets rocky (), but being pretty good for a few levels is...still pretty good, and it's not like they suddenly drop off the face of a cliff after that point.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2020-06-26 at 01:59 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, LA+0*, no new insights to add to the discussion. EDIT: Right, forgot the asterisk. Fixed.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-06-26 at 09:47 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Titan in the Playground

I think I've read enough to change my vote to LA +0* as well. I still feel it suffers from a bit of lack of focus, but seems it can do OK with at least one class progression (Crusader).

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

+0* Sorry missed my asterisk. This might be a weird question but is incarnate archer with charming the arrow a possibility? Probably needing a fighter dip. I might just be building a rather annoying recurring villain now

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Titan in the Playground

Phiuhl

Stick your tongue out, say 'viol', and you should pronounce this pretty well.

The phiuhl is the hell-roaming spirit of a slain elemental, so naturally its typing is outsider elemental undead aberration? It's large-sized, has 9 RHD, and despite mostly consisting of evil energies and vapor has a land speed (one higher than its fly speed, even). This gaseous nature protects them from critical hits, but unfortunately also prevents them from interacting with most objects, entering water, or wearing armor. I'm tempted to assign an asterisk for this alone: even ghosts aren't this limited in their interactions with the material world.

Ability scores are okayish: high dexterity and constitution but everything else is average.

Their defensive qualities are pretty good: resistance 20 to a number of common damage types, poison immunity, DR 10/magic, SR 21, and the interesting Inscrutable Mind ability. It doesn't quite give immunity to mind-affecting effects, but it does punish a number of the nastier effects (Dominate Monster, for one) with save-or-feeblemind.

Offensively, these aberrations have two unimpressive (1d10) heat touches, as well as an always-on heat damage aura. They can inflict negative levels on creatures whose space they share, and also excude a constitution-damaging poison (1d10 damage on both saves) in a radius of fifty feet. The latter ability interestingly stops working against creatures that save once, which is pretty rare for poison effects but understandable from a game design perspective (it also makes immunizing your allies slightly easier).

Is the phiuhl good? It can be bulky and slowly drain someone's levels, it can maybe enter some fast-casting slash initiator class, and it can inflict some pretty nasty constitution damage, but versus foes that can take fire/poison attacks it struggles. The combination of always-on harm auras, no ability to interact with objects, and arguably no ability to speak don't help either.

In the end, a phiuhl might work (as in, not be an active liability) in a specialized party that's fully poison-immune and able to benefit from its unique skillset. However, fitting such a character in will be extremely difficult, and even if you were to somehow get rid of Gaseous Form there's still the aberration RHD, unimpressive stats, and lack of clear advancement.

-0 LA or -0* LA, depending on whether Gaseous Form warrants an asterisk.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Yeah I think I will switch back to +0*

Phiuhl seems a pretty straight forward -0 LA, interesting concept but not very powerful.
    Last edited by liquidformat; 2020-06-27 at 12:59 PM. Reason: vote on Phiuhl

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, that's ... crippling. And weird and ungood. LA -0, no asterisk for me. Gaseous Form mostly causes a LACK of interactions with the gameworld, not unexpected and metagame-dangerous interactions.

Current games list

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

I think three might be a record for number of simultaneous passive attack forms. That's a rather interesting mix of effects: poison, fire damage and negative levels, just for standing near/on somebody.

As I'm trying to imagine this thing in combat, the image I'm getting is basically Eeyore, floating around dejectedly with his gaseous shoulders drooped and saying "nobody likes me," completely oblivious to the calamities that are going on around him: people screaming, catching fire, choking to death and shriveling as their levels go away. Add in a blade barrier spell or a weapon-animating effect (like the blade spirit from RTEE), and maybe the ravid's object-animating aura, one of the magnetic auras from the lodestone marauder (MMIV), and something that causes earthquakes or storm clouds. Then, he'll be a walking catastrophe.

I'm tempted to build it.

But, beyond being intentionally silly with it, it's not worth much as a PC. I'm voting LA -0 for the phiuhl.

P.S. I've been pronouncing it "fye-ull" in my head. But maybe the designers were going for a fire pun with an obscurely-spelled version of "fuel"?
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2020-06-27 at 06:21 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    it's not worth much as a PC. I'm voting LA +0 for the phiuhl.
    If it's not worth much, why not -0 instead? It doesn't look to me like it puts in a reasonable contribution in a level 9 party.

Oh, should've said before -- it's explicitly Extraplanar and looks like the kind of thing that deserves banishing, so, yay, extra way to be completely invalidated in a single action.

Current games list

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

Another from my list of worst monster names.

I don't think I can summon the enthusiasm for a detailed breakdown. I'm going to vote LA -0 for the reasons already mentioned.

Curious about the Desiccation ability: it inflicts negative levels without being called out as energy drain or negative energy. Does that mean Death Ward would offer no protection?

22. - Top - End - #1042

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    If it's not worth much, why not -0 instead? It doesn't look to me like it puts in a reasonable contribution in a level 9 party.

Oh, should've said before -- it's explicitly Extraplanar and looks like the kind of thing that deserves banishing, so, yay, extra way to be completely invalidated in a single action.
    Oh crap! I meant that to be -0. I'll fix it!

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Good pronunciation guide, Inevitability. LA -0 for me too.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

It’s an elemental fart cloud of death. I’d be surprised if it did make for a good PC.

LA -0, and I doubt this is going to be contended that much.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, a fairly clear -0*, but still -0 regardless of an asterisk.

Or did I forget something and the asterisk is meant for things that would be playable without the one specific thing? Because this really isn't.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post

Or did I forget something and the asterisk is meant for things that would be playable without the one specific thing? Because this really isn't.
    More like “DM caution”, whether the PC is literally unplayable without some finagling(such as Dryads) or that can get completely out of hand(such as Protean Scourges).

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

-0* seems more than fair no argument here. 2 negative levels was doable by a wizard 2 levels ago at range without a save. This has to end its turn in someone elses square so it can allow a save to do that while sucking up an AoO, can't use equipment and cant manipulate objects or interact.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post

Why do you think it needs an asterisk? I am not seeing any abilities it has that would have to be removed before you put Phil in the hands of players...

29. - Top - End - #1049

MonkGuy

-0 no asterisk needed
    3.5 Cast - A GitP member made, third edition podcast
    D&D 3.5 Discord Chat, Come one come all
    The Master Specialist Handbook
    Truly Complete List of 3.5e Base Classes
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    DMG 3.5e page 41:
    "If a player behaves in a way you don't want them to behave, talk to them about it. If they continue, stop playing with them. "
    By RAW, you have to stop playing with the guy.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Titan in the Playground

Planetouched

Why is this post a day late? It's hard to explane.

Maeluths

Maeluths, first of the four planetouched in this book, are fiend-descended dwarves, and use their stats with subtle changes. In addition to the outsider typing, their abilities are a bit different (instead of +2 constitution -2 charisma, they have +4 constitution and -2 dexterity), and they lose the dwarvish weapon familiarities as well as the Stability trait. In return, they get Fiend Hammer, which can turn one of their melee weapons Unholy for one minute a day. Also, dwarves have plenty of racial support that maeluths can't access.

Are maeluths better than regular dwarves? Probably: the outsider typing is neat, the stats are better, and the miscellaneous traits are too small to matter much either way. Are they better than the really good +0 LA races? Probably not!

Given that aasimar and tiefling got +0 LA, I'm inclined to extend the same favor here. The maeluths will be strong, but manageable, and making them +1 would render them unusuable. Any concerned GM could perhaps try allowing lesser maeluths instead.

Mechanatrix

The game helpfully informs us that mechanatrices are descended from 'one of the bizarre clockwork beings that inhabit the plane of Mechanus' and leaves the specifics of their ancestry for us to figure out. Seriously, even if you throw in 'magic' how exactly is this supposed to work?

Anyway, these miraculous outsiders have a neat +2 constitution, +2 intelligence, -2 dexterity, -2 charisma. They can use Shocking Grasp once per day, heal from electricity damage (very useful if an ally can deal it at-will), and have a racial bonus on Spot and Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering).

That stat spread is cool, and so are the other bonuses, but I'm comfortable assigning +0 here as well. Again, these are strong, but not +1 LA-worthy.

Shyft

-2 strength, +2 dexterity, +2 wisdom, -2 charisma. Some energy resistances, a small racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently, obvious +0 LA right? Except these guys get 1/day Ethereal Jaunt, cast at level 9 (or its own character level).

While a 7th-level spell might seem disruptive, its power is relatively constrained. You only stay ethereal for one minute, can't hop in and out as you wish, and can't take others along. This means that its uses are limited to short-range scouting, rapidly 'hiding' for a short time, and maybe retreating when in trouble. You can't use it to bypass significant chunks of a dungeon, it won't let you get the drop on monsters (at least, not unless you want to be the only target in melee range when combat starts), and it won't let you spy on people usefully, no matter what the flavortext will tell you.

+0 LA, arguably more interesting for the stats than the SLA.

Wispling

Demonic halflings! Honestly, I should feature a seemingly-peaceful halfling village that turns out to consist entirely of wisplings sometimes.

1/day Disguise Self is pretty cool, getting basically all halfling traits is neat as well, and -2 strength +4 dexterity +2 intelligence is pretty great. +0 LA should be fine here as well, though I see the argument for +1.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2020-07-03 at 10:34 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!