New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

Mark me down for LA -0 unless anyone makes a compelling argument otherwise.

Just out of interest, did any oozes get marked as anything other than LA -0? From memory, Summoning Ooze came closest.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post

Just out of interest, did any oozes get marked as anything other than LA -0? From memory, Summoning Ooze came closest.
    Yes ... I think. Now I'm gonna check the archive. It's almost as if that's why it's there

edit: The Gelatinous Cube got a +0. Yay!
    Last edited by Bavarian itP; 2020-01-06 at 04:44 PM.
    shipping Sabine/Vaarsuvius

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

If we are counting ooze type then yes living spells have a number of +0 to potentially +1 oozes depending on how you abuse your spells...

Anyways Ethereal Ooze is a clear cut -0, slash about 6 to 8 rhd off it before it can come close to +0...

4. - Top - End - #94

There we go.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

-0. ooze hd yuck.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

*trombones intensely*

LA -0. On to the Ethergaunts!
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

-0, just wondering about what the debate looks like for the etherguants.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

I found the ethergaunts, particularly white and black, were playable at their LAs, so I am curious too.

9. - Top - End - #99

Don't think this ting is worth any LA, so LA +0 at best. Probably -0.

Also worth noting reading the stat block it appears a mistake was made. The Ethereal Ooze can Engulf/Etheralize MULTIPLE FOES with one action. Pretty much anything that is large or smaller that fit;s within it's 15x15x10 square can be eaten up.

It's not much, but IMHO there is a huge difference between SoL for one foe and SoL for 9 or more foes.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zancloufer View Post
    It's not much, but IMHO there is a huge difference between SoL for one foe and SoL for 9 or more foes.
    Except its nowhere near a SoL from your perspective. Engulf doesn't fully disable, which means every foe you drag there is one you have to kill, potentially on your own. And you'll be less protected against them than if you didn't use it.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Well you could just strand them on the ethereal. Still, it's a bit gimmicky for twelve crap RHD.

Easy -0.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

A quick question: do you guys take requests? Dragon #343 has a couple of nifty dragons I'm interested in, primarily because they actually get significant casting ability (One even manages to have as many sorcerer casting levels as its HD! ... well, as a wyrmling, anyway), and they're trapped in my head between "the wyrmling is clearly better than a sorcerer of its HD, so needs LA" and "its ONLY hope of contributing is as a caster, if it loses caster levels it can't do its job". I can provide full info on them if you're interested.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malabolg View Post
    A quick question: do you guys take requests? Dragon #343 has a couple of nifty dragons I'm interested in, primarily because they actually get significant casting ability (One even manages to have as many sorcerer casting levels as its HD! ... well, as a wyrmling, anyway), and they're trapped in my head between "the wyrmling is clearly better than a sorcerer of its HD, so needs LA" and "its ONLY hope of contributing is as a caster, if it loses caster levels it can't do its job". I can provide full info on them if you're interested.
    We're going through one book at a time, sorry. We're doing Fiend Folio now.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Malabolg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    We're going through one book at a time, sorry. We're doing Fiend Folio now.
    You can of course stick around until we finish the book, and then throw in a vote for what get's done next (Though I believe Inevitability still has the final say).
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Ethergaunt

Ethergaunts: eldritch abominations from the ethereal plane, best known for their horrifying abilities and innate casting. They come in three colors, presented here in ascending level of power for convenience.

Red Ethergaunt

Red Ethergaunts have a mere 5 RHD. Their ability scores are interesting: everything gets a low +2/+4 bonus, except for intelligence which instead enjoys a +12 modifier. Many of their special abilities are shared with the other ethergaunts, so this is not a bad moment to go over those.

Firstly, there's Enslave: a 3/day Dominate Monster spell that can indefinitely enslave creatures (albeit with a new saving throw every day). The effect is also broken if the ethergaunt travels more than one mile away from its slave. Ethergaunts can have a number of enslaved creatures equal to their charisma bonus, meaning that the average NPC red can only have one, but a PC might obtain many more.

Stupefying Gaze is a gaze attack that deals 1d4 damage to all mental ability scores, with the ability to turn it on and off as a free action. It's not friendly, but positioning yourself 30 ft. away from your friends isn't too hard, and if you can't they're not hurt by it.

Immunity to Spells gives ethergaunts infinite spell resistance versus a number of arcane spells, depending on their rank. A red ethergaunt is immune to everything from 2nd level or lower, which isn't too impressive but not useless either. Note that it doesn't work versus divine magic.

All ethergaunts get EWP with the Etherblade, which is kind of like a greatsword except it has no expanded crit range and can shoot laser beams. The beams are unimpressive (1d6 damage, 40 ft. range increment, 50 unrestorable charges per weapon), but might be relevant in one or two situations.

Total Vision gives the ethergaunt some kind of not-quite-blindsight in a 40 ft. radius, which functions regardless of facial coverings and bypasses effects like stealth (even darkstalker stealth) and invisibility.

Finally, there's Material Jaunt, which allows an ethereal ethergaunt to shift to the material plane for 1 round/HD every hour. Most PCs will presumably be on the material by default, making this ability mostly useless.

On top of this, the red ethergaunt gets the casting ability of a 9th-level wizard (yes, you read that right).

What to rate a creature like this? The casting ability combined with the various useful traits (most notably Enslave) makes me suspect that +4 would still be too little: four levels of a prestige class, 1-2 more feats, and a familiar shouldn't outweigh great perception, 3/day Dominate Person, a much better casting stat, and immunity to some low-level magic. In the end, I'll go all the way up to +7: the giant bonuses simply require it.

Because many of the features introduced here are found again in the other ethergaunt subraces, I'll stop here for now and then do the white and black 'gaunts in a double update. Before rating those, I'm interested in seeing the community opinions here.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2020-01-13 at 05:10 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

On the one hand, red ethergaunts are going to be annoyingly squishy, and a serious weakness to HD-based abilities such as Holy Word. On the other hand, the d8s and the Con bonus might make up for that, and they are quite good at casting.

The LA...? Well, having to devote slightly more resources for HP at lower levels is offset considerably by being capable of needing to allocate less resources into boosting your casting stat. You're probably going to have a much higher Int than most other PCs even without items, and you've got a few other things to utilize as well, if rather minor... so I think I'm okay with Inevitability's LA +5 for now.

Honestly, if even the mooks of their race tend to be such powerful Wizards, it's not hard to see why they see Material Plane races as so inferior. I don't think there are any mortal races at all with even remotely such high Intelligence bonuses; even the red ones are smarter than most dragons. The problem with dealing ethergaunts isn't going to be about dealing with the archmage-tier elites, it's that even their mooks are mid-level Wizards as well!

Of course, being smart and innate Wizard casting are really the only things they have going for them; dragons might not be as smart but they're more clever and have better social skills, plus they're capable of simply tearing ethergaunts into tiny aberrant shreds. Which can honestly be said about a general adventurer party, come to think of it.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm going to counter at +6 and I know that may seem high, but it has a ninth level spell equivalent 3/day. Anyone saying +5 is saying that +10 to intelligence is only worth one level adjustment on a full caster.* Now having that hit die so low is a problem for me as spell can affect it more easily, but the senses, immunity to some spells, other stats, along with dominate seem to say not +5.

For reference with the intelligence we moving the dc of its lowest level spells to the dc of the highest level the compared wizard can cast.

*With the and hit die it should be down 2 level up ability raises.
    Last edited by Sutr; 2020-01-09 at 08:04 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

okay, let's compare this guy, to a 10th, 11th and 12th level wizard. For these, I'll assume that they have a base 16 intelligence that got bumped to 18 by racials for the non-ethergaunts, and a base 14 con and all stat increases from levels go to int.

red ethergaunt level 10 wizard level 11 wizard level 12 wizard
    average HP 37 45 49 54
    Skill points/max skill rank 88/8 88/13 95/14 102/15
    max spell level 5th 5th 6th 6th
    spellslots (0th/1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th) 4/7/6/5/4/3/0 4/6/5/4/4/3/0 4/6/5/5/4/3/1 4/6/5/5/4/4/2
    spell save DC 19+spell level 15+spell level 15+spell level 15+spell level
    feats/bonus feats from wizard level 2/0 3/2 3/2 4/2

I think these are the main comparable points, but the ethergaunt also gets the spell immunity, +4 natural armor, enslave and the vision mode.
    Personally, I think +5 LA might be one point too little. The 10th level wizard gets more HP, higher skill caps and more feats, but gets fewer spell slots, significantly lower spell save DCs and none of the ethergaunts special defenses (not to mention the enslave ability). I'd put the red ethergaunt tentatively at +6 LA for now
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-01-09 at 08:07 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

You know, the various abilities that ethergaunts could be compared to a prestige class... do we even know what a "common" PrC would even be? There are literally dozens, and that's just for cases obviously designed for Wizards!

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

After looking at DeTess' excellent chart +6 LA puts you ish on par with a tier 1 class based on casting and ability scores but doesn't take into account your other racial features. I think the Enslave ability is pretty comparable to Mindbender's enternal charm + Thral abilities which take loosing 5 caster levels and 10 levels of a prc to get a up to snuff. as a Red Ethergaunt I can easily have a small army of powerful minions at my beck and call with little effort compared to the hoops another pc has to jump through. I am going with +8 LA that seems fair for the insane package this thing gets.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    After looking at DeTess' excellent chart +6 LA puts you ish on par with a tier 1 class based on casting and ability scores but doesn't take into account your other racial features. I think the Enslave ability is pretty comparable to Mindbender's enternal charm + Thral abilities which take loosing 5 caster levels and 10 levels of a prc to get a up to snuff. as a Red Ethergaunt I can easily have a small army of powerful minions at my beck and call with little effort compared to the hoops another pc has to jump through. I am going with +8 LA that seems fair for the insane package this thing gets.

I love the Internet.
    The number of minions is limited by your Charisma score, not to mention that it's only 3/day! Therefore you cannot get a "small army" as you say!

Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm. First off, two notes.

1. The Ethergaunts' Immunity to Spells wording is different than the Immunity to Magic of Golems. Compare:

Quote Originally Posted by Immunity to Spells
    Ethergaunts may choose to ignore the effects of arcane spells, just as if the spellcaster had failed to overcome spell resistance.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by Immunity to Magic
    A clay golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance.
    The first difference I notice is that the Ethergaunt's ability can be turned on and off at-will and as a free action, thus removing the most annoying drawback of SR on PCs.
    The second one is that Immunity to Spells does not seem to be confined to spells that actually allow SR. Ethergaunts may choose to ignore the effects of arcane spells, period. Whether or not these spells do allow SR in the first place seems irrelevant here. The different wording of the Golems' ability, that puts a clear emphasis on the restriction of its extent to spells allowing SR only, comforts me in this interpretation.
    What do you guys think, do you read it that way too? These two points brought together seem enough of a power up to Immunity to Spells (when compared to Immunity to Magic) to counteract the power down imposed by the restriction to arcane magic.

2. Having Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Etherblade) and Combat Casting as bonus feats allows any Ethergaunt to waltz into the Abjurant Champion PrC. It's not terribly useful for them, but it's there, especially if they make a detour by Wyrm Wizard to grab Divine Power.

that said, I think DeTess' excellent chart would gain to be enriched with data relative to AC and saves, since HP is not all that makes a character resistant. In addition, Red Ethergaunts gain Combat Casting as a bonus feat which, while being quite a crappy feat in and of itself, is a useful prereq for a number of other feats and PrCs such as Abjurant Champion, so it's not completely worthless.

red ethergaunt level 10 wizard level 11 wizard level 12 wizard
    average HP 37 45 49 54
    Skill points/max skill rank 88/8 88/13 95/14 102/15
    max spell level 5th 5th 6th 6th
    spellslots (0th/1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th) 4/7/6/5/4/3/0 4/6/5/4/4/3/0 4/6/5/5/4/3/1 4/6/5/5/4/4/2
    spell save DC 19+spell level 15+spell level 15+spell level 15+spell level
    feats/bonus feats from wizard level 2/1 3/2 3/2 4/2
    AC bonus (Dex + NA) +6 +0 +0 +0
    Saves +2/+3/+6 +3/+3/+7 +3/+3/+7 +4/+4/+8

Seeing this, I find that comparing an 11th level Wizard to the Red Ethergaunt, the 12 HPs the Wizard has in excess are somewhat counterbalanced by the nice +6 to AC the Red Ethergaunt boasts. In addition, a number of direct damage spells that don't care for AC are neutered by the Red Ethergaunt's spell immunity, like Scorching Ray. That being said, I find that what the Wizard has as an advantage: one 6th-level spell per day, 7 skill points (not of much consequence), the ability to change Combat Casting into some other feat, and then 2 additional feats after this, is inferior to the extra 1st-level and 2nd-level spells per day the Red Ethergaunt possesses, and more particularly the extra 4 points of DC to any spell he casts. In addition, the Red Ethergaunt's Enslave ability is much more powerful than any one 6th level spell the Wizard could muster, and the Ethergaunt gets this ability 3/day.
    And in top of that one then adds Total Vision and Stupefying Gaze (which is a free action to use) and all the rest of Immunity to Spells. All in all, I find the Red Ethergaunt superior to the 11th-level Wizard. For this reason, I vote LA +7 for the Red Ethergaunt.
    Last edited by remetagross; 2020-01-09 at 11:09 AM.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Hmmm. I think DeTess' excellent chart would gain to be enriched with data relative to AC and saves, since HP is not all that makes a character resistant.
    Well, let's see.

The Ethergaunt will have +6 AC over a wizard build using identical base stats, spells and armor (assuming no AC boosting from 6th level+ spells), as it has +4 dex and +4 natural AC, for a total of +6 AC.

Saves are a bit trickier. It has as base fort/ref/wil of +1/+1/+4, where the 10th, 11th and 12th level wizards would have 3/3/7, 3/3/7, and 4/4/8 respectively. The ethergaunt's stat boosts means that it has effectively +2/+3/+6 when compared to a wizard with identical base stats, which is a bit worse than the 10th and 11th, and more than a bit under the 12th level wizard. The differences aren't massive though.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-01-09 at 11:04 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114

+6 though I am open to higher las. This is really, really good. How is spell immunity worded (including errata)? 3.0 colossus style spell immunity or unbeatable SR? That means a lot.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Efrate View Post
    +6 though I am open to higher las. This is really, really good. How is spell immunity worded (including errata)? 3.0 colossus style spell immunity or unbeatable SR? That means a lot.
    I don't know about the errata, but the text itself says 'Ethergaunts may choose to ignore the effects of arcane spells, just as if the spellcaster has failed to overcome spell resistance', so I think any SR: no spells should probably still affect them.

26. - Top - End - #116

Given the handy chart, I don't think I'd ever pick a Human or Grey Elf Wizard 10 over a Red Ethergaunt, at least when looking at the mechanical side. Ethergaunt has more spells and a whopping +4 Spell DC advantage. That's bonkers when you have the list with the all the best SoL in the game.

@edit: With the expansion for the table, I will have to agree with +7. Up to +6, I still go for Ethergaunt in my head. At +7, I could see myself going either way.
    Last edited by TotallyNotEvil; 2020-01-09 at 11:19 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    I don't know about the errata, but the text itself says 'Ethergaunts may choose to ignore the effects of arcane spells, just as if the spellcaster has failed to overcome spell resistance', so I think any SR: no spells should probably still affect them.
    Well, the Ethergaunt have not been affected by the errata. As to the interpretation of Immunity to Spells, see my post above (which I've been editing while you've posted) but I think SR: no spells cannot get through.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

28. - Top - End - #118

MonkGuy

Wow, this thing is 3.0 levels of silliness. I vote +7
    3.5 Cast - A GitP member made, third edition podcast
    D&D 3.5 Discord Chat, Come one come all
    The Master Specialist Handbook
    Truly Complete List of 3.5e Base Classes
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    DMG 3.5e page 41:
    "If a player behaves in a way you don't want them to behave, talk to them about it. If they continue, stop playing with them. "
    By RAW, you have to stop playing with the guy.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post

I love the Internet.
    The number of minions is limited by your Charisma score, not to mention that it's only 3/day! Therefore you cannot get a "small army" as you say!
    with the ability bonuses the Red Ethergaunt has pumping Cha to have a bonus of +5 or +6 by around ECL 10 isn't particularly hard, and 3/day casting is moot since you are more likely looking for good monsters to cherry pick rather than getting them all at once and the daily wil save isn't affected by said 3/day limit. In comparison the Mindbender has to hit min level 15 and loose 5 caster levels for a comparable ability, so sorry not seeing much of an argument here...

30. - Top - End - #120

Thinking it over I will go with +7. Change my vote. Regardless of the spell immunity issue the 3.0 is strong with this one.