New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

I missed the ethereal hop ability. That is really good. Change me to +1*. Astral is really really good.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

These guys also have a decent progression into Master of the Unseen Hand, with telekinesis at-will. That also pretty much kills any problems with lacking hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    These guys also have a decent progression into Master of the Unseen Hand, with telekinesis at-will. That also pretty much kills any problems with lacking hands.
    Great call! This would be a perfect case of MotUH being a good PrC for the character.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Titan in the Playground

Can somebody elaborate? I looked at the PrC and it doesn’t look that good, though I suppose it helps with action economy and effectiveness of an already versatile SLA...
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Mouthpick weapon + "slams"/hooves?
    Mouthpick requires having a bite attack which Shedu doesn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Can somebody elaborate? I looked at the PrC and it doesn’t look that good, though I suppose it helps with action economy and effectiveness of an already versatile SLA...
    Well 3 levels of MotUH gives you all the versatility of having hands including full attack and maintaining Telekinesis as a move action instead of a standard. There are some extra interesting things going on here like moving the weapon up to 20' without getting an AoO. Also these abilities aren't greatly defined so it seems like the 20' of moving is part of your standard action to make an attack and not a separate move action. Anyways a 3 level dip in this PRC is pretty great the last two levels are a bit meh though.

I am on the fence about astral projection from what I am reading you can't make a clone on the plane your normal body is on so the abuse is only possible in a game where you are plane traveling. I have yet to be in a game that had plane travel before level 15 and most of them are around level 17 when level 9 spells are in play. So simply having +2 LA should be fine to balance the Shedu.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Titan in the Playground

Full attacking isn’t much if you don’t get to use feats or even bonus damage from Strength or Charisma, I think... could be wrong, though.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

Voting for the shedu will remain open for a couple more days, after that it's back to the regular three-day schedule.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Firbolg in the Playground

Put me down for LA +2, no asterisk.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I don't think being ethereal is going to be that amazing in combat, since it consumes your move action, stops AoOs/potential immediate actions (counters!), and greatly limits your sight range. That said, shedu have some cool features and a good beatstick chassis. I'll say LA +0* despite the lack of hands.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2020-08-08 at 09:12 AM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Titan in the Playground

...Honestly, I wouldn’t play one, but I think that’s less to do with the abilities and more to do with it being rather outside my comfort zone in the first place and the abilities aren’t sufficiently good enough for me to at least consider otherwise. I think that’s less indicative of my opinions of the actual capabilities and more about how my comfort zone isn’t wide enough to accommodate them... or anything that isn’t a multiclass gish build, I strongly suspect.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    Good point. Still, there are ways to gain a bite attack, but that would cost resources.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    Could've sworn I'd already posted this question, but would an Opposable weapon work with a hoof? I don't remember a clause about requiring claws or tentacles, just a natural weapon, but it's been a long time since I actually looked at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Could've sworn I'd already posted this question, but would an Opposable weapon work with a hoof? I don't remember a clause about requiring claws or tentacles, just a natural weapon, but it's been a long time since I actually looked at it.
    Nice! That's one I keep forgetting, even though it's in my list: Items for Nonhumanoid Creatures

To wield an opposable weapon, a creature must be corporeal, have limbs, have proficiency with the weapon, and be able to stand without the limb(s) that wield the opposable weapon.
    Normally I'd question a quadruped being able to use an opposable weapon, due to the last part of that sentence, but our friend the Shedu specifically has five legs, so should be no issues - even with a two-handed weapon. You can enjoy that juicy 1.5x Str bonus / 2x Power Attack damage output that melee types love so much.

If you wanted to get fancy, you might be able to put the Opposable quality on a Dragonshard Pommel, so you can switch out different weapons...

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Barbarian in the Playground

Honestly, I really don't know want to give it. I'm leaning +1 or +2.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hear me out, Shedu/MotUH with Iaijutsu Focus maxed since MotUH allows your weapon to move 20' as part of a standard action attack you can use Ethereal jaunt for your move action then Telekinetic Wielder to draw and attack then go ethereal again. I think it could be an amusing character.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Titan in the Playground

Shedu:

+0*: 1 vote
    +1*: 1 vote
    +2: 3 votes

Combined with the '+1 or +2' vote from TotallyNotEvil, the shedu will be assigned +2 LA, no asterisk.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Titan in the Playground

Skulk

Basic humanoids, but sneaky.

Skulk have 2 RHD (oof), pretty bad stats (+4 dex, -2 wis, -4 cha), and overspecialized stealth abilities. Innate Nondetection (makes detection through divination harder) and Trackless Path are cool abilities that sadly drop in quality if you have non-stealthy pals with you. Meanwhile, Peerless Camouflage is pretty cool: it allows for skulks to run while hiding without a penalty to stealth. On top of this, skulks have +8 Move Silently and +15 Hide, presuming they are in light or no armor.

While the two RHD and stats are a disappointment, the huge stealth bonuses (and relative viability of stealth strategies), make me think that a skulk will be able to compete with an at-level rogue. +0 LA, but only play this if it fits your build extremely well.

Extended signature!

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

Skulk

• Medium-Size Humanoid (Skulk)
    • 2 RHD of a poor kind (d8 hp, medium BAB, 1 good save, 2 skill points/"level").
    • 30 ft. speed.
    • Innate nondetection: basically SR 20 vs. detection and divination effects. Not bad.
    • Peerless camouflage: move or run with no movement penalty hide. Nice for any stealth build.
    • Trackless path: add +10 to the DC of being tracked. Pretty niche, but not bad.
    • Dex +4 Wis -2 Cha -4: net -2. Meh.
    • Very small (but appropriate) racial skill list. +8 racial bonus to Move Silently, and +15 to Hide (but only in light or nor armor). Lets face it, stealth types wouldn't generally be wearing anything heavier than light armor.
    • Arguably has proficiency with rapier, as well as simple weapons.

Medium humanoid and can speak. No issues with gear or class progression.

Decent for a stealth build: I'd agree with LA +0. If it only had the one HD (to swap for it's first level), definite LA +1 territory.

The only changes I'm seeing in the RoD version is their subtype is changed to Human (which is handy for a few things), and official LA was dropped to +1. Still happy to rate the RoD version as +0.

I had a (templated) Skulk in my last campaign as a spy/high end thief-for-hire that the BBEG employed once or twice.
    Last edited by Thurbane; 2020-08-11 at 05:18 AM. Reason: typos

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think LA +0 is fair. Could probably take advantage of sniping pretty easily with those massive bonuses and peerless camouflage.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

+0 LA is fine though it seems like it is on the low end, I am surprised they didn't get HiPS, that would put them firmly into +0 but they are still alright.

21. - Top - End - #1251

+0. Fine stealth base, not exceptional nor terrible.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Troll in the Playground

+0 nice is. It is a one trick pony but thanks to Darkstalker it is a good trick.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, LA +0. They're bad but not cripplingly bad.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2020-08-12 at 09:49 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Titan in the Playground

Skybleeder

Remember the kaorti? Here's another of their charming pets.

The Skybleeder chassis grants them 12 aberration RHD, Huge size, a good strength stat and decent bonuses everywhere else. They can fly at a good pace, and are even surprisingly fast on land (40 ft.). Acid immunity, as well as precision damage/crit/flank immunity, are useful defensive features, and regeneration 5 (overcome by fire and acid) is useful too. Offensively, skybleeders have a wide array of (un)natural weapons, specifically three claws and eight tentacles.

Other special abilities are the typical Improved Grab, a weird Constrict that deals acid damage on top of regular damage, and Acid Rain (which deals acid damage to all creatures the skybleeder flies over). They are also continuously shrouded in Unnatural Mist, which grants them a Hide bonus, concealment, and druid magic spell resistance... but anyone within the cloud's 60 ft. radius can see through it fine, making it less than amazing in combat.

Finally, the 'bleeder gets some SLAs. The only interesting at-will spell is Wind Wall, but 3/day Call Lightning and Control Winds are moderately useful, and 1/day Control Weather and Cloudkill is worth mentioning as well.

The skybleeder isn't without its problems, though. 12 aberration RHD leave it with poor base saves, BAB, and HP, it can't use many equipment types, and it struggles with advancement. For now, I'll assign +0 LA.

Extended signature!

25. - Top - End - #1255

My main issue's the regen. The other stuff's fairly easily emulated by a 12th level druid from a normal race (who's also not stuck as one of these things and has a better chassis), but the regen's annoying.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

11 natural attacks is a bit of a blender, but other than that, I feel that the abilities are a bit directionless, a bit too unfocused to really build a solid character around, especially with the bad base attack and equipment limits. I'm tentatively going with -0, but not a bad one. I just feel that skybleeders can use a little head's start in terms of gathering up class features.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

• Huge Aberration (10 ft reach).
    • 12 RHD of a pretty poor kind (d8hp, medium BAB, 1 good save, 2 skill points/"level").
    • Speed 40 ft, fly 80 ft (average): flight is always good.
    • +11 natural AC
    • 3 claws 2d8, 8 tantacles 1d4 (+1d6 acid): 11 natural attacks are pretty great for a melee build.
    • Acid rain: very small area and damage, but if I'm reading correctly, this is automatic and requires no action?
    • Constrict 1d4+1d6 acid: if you're going for a grapple build, not bad.
    • Improved grab: pretty standard for a huge creature with tentacles.
    • SLAs: at will - flare, shocking grasp, wind wall; 3/day - call lightning, control winds, gust of wind; 1/day - control weather, cloudkill, CL 12. Mixed bag, from useless (flare) through to decent (control winds, cloudkill).
    • Acid immunity: any energy immunity without a corresponding vulnerability is good.
    • Darkvision 60 ft.
    • No discernible anatomy: immunity to criticals, sneak attacks, and can't be flanked. Nice.
    • Regeneration 5, overcome by fire or force: very nice.
    • Unnatural mist: hide bonus and concealment and, weirdly, SR 22 vs druid magic only. The concealment is decent.
    • Str +16, Dex +6, Con +8, Int +4, Wis +6, Cha +2: net +42, no penalties. Nice.
    • Small-ish but decent racial skill list. +10 to hide inside the mist.

Non-standard body type (and that's an understatement), and unsure if claws could manipulate objects. They can speak.

Weird one to rate: they get some good stuff, but 12 bad HD are hard to overlook. Flight, a ton of natural attacks, a couple of decent SLAs, regeneration, crit/SA immunity, and solid ability scores are good. Your size and body type are going to cause a fair amount of difficulties. DM call on how dexterous the claws (pincers) are. If you can wield weapons (or get an Opposable weapon) you can modify it so it can be "three-handed" for extra damage.

I'm willing to vote LA +0 at this point. I think you could make a playable melee bruiser/grappler with this.

Definitely DM potential as an encounter: always happy to have more Lovecraftian monsters in my repertoire.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Dwarf in the Playground

I feel as if there is a notable difference between +0 and +1 here.

At +0 LA you can be a Skybleeder Souleater 7 / Sneak Attack Fighter 1 with craven for 15 attacks, each dealing two negative levels and ~43 damage.

If all attacks hit, that's 30 negative levels and 645 damage.

At +1 LA you can be a Skybleeder Soul-eater 6 / Sneak Attack Fighter 1 or a Skybleeder Soul-eater 7.

If all attacks hit that's either:

- 15 negative levels and 630 damage
    - 30 negative levels and 270 damage

Realistically, you'll be doing even more damage with constrict.

With fly, regeneration, critical hit and precision immunity, reach, ranged attack protection, and a list of reasonably useful SLAs, I believe the skybleeder is superior to a totemist and so vote to give the skybleeder LA +1

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't the negative levels only trigger once per round, rather than once per attack?

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Don't the negative levels only trigger once per round, rather than once per attack?
    Soueater's negative energy levels has been a source of vigorous debate for many years.

The two main schools of thought are:

1. It requires a standard action touch attack, limiting you to once/round (unless you can get multiple standard actions).

2. It triggers automatically on each and every natural attack.

As 3.0 material it's not particularly clear, would require a DM to "modify as necessary for 3.5", and there is RAW support to argue for either ruling.

Personally, I don't think the existence of a single PrC should directly effect the rating of every creature with multiple natural attacks, especially since there's no clear consensus it actually works that way.

Sneak Attack, on the other hand, I feel is quite relevant for multiple attacks, and Craven can crank it to high levels. Still, many high level opponents are immune to Sneak Attack...